Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Enfys posted:

"has been thoroughly observed" :ohdear:

lol this struck me too

all the experiments kept talking about melted human fat lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

On Facebook
:biofats:

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Enfys posted:

"has been thoroughly observed" :ohdear:

They donated their bodies to science. This is science. :colbert:

Ansar Santa
Jul 12, 2012

Fame Douglas posted:

Yeah, totally, the bad Doom clone for people that didn't own a real computer is the FPS benchmark.

Impressive how you manage ti have the worst opinion on every single thing

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

lol can't wait to be sent to the oil farms

i wonder what my body will fuel

maybe i will get to power a child-sized submersible for elon musk

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Rah! posted:

lol can't wait to be sent to the oil farms

i wonder what my body will fuel

maybe i will get to power a child-sized submersible for elon musk

Fuel oil generated from your body will be used to greenwash a carbon-positive CCS plant.

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

if we feed everybody a vegetarian diet until rendering age and use fuel from their rendered flesh to render yet more flesh, we may be able to create a fully functional net-negative atmospheric capture carbon sequestration scheme, as long as the excess rendered flesh gets stored in the national human fuel strategic reserve and not immediately burned to help liquify tar sands

Mr. Barnesworth
Jun 28, 2008

I said GOOD DAY, sir!
I was watching Tom Wessels New England Forests lectures on youtube regarding forest ecology, which are all really interesting and would recommend. The algo then suggested another discussion he joined with Michael Dowd and his "Post Doom" series. I suppose it's just preaching to the choir here but thought it was interesting nonetheless and warranted a post.

Post Doom
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTGQNH3IoMk

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

we love to post doom here

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Spime Wrangler posted:

if we feed everybody a vegetarian diet until rendering age and use fuel from their rendered flesh to render yet more flesh, we may be able to create a fully functional net-negative atmospheric capture carbon sequestration scheme, as long as the excess rendered flesh gets stored in the national human fuel strategic reserve and not immediately burned to help liquify tar sands

"in today's news, last week's feeding of Generation 13 into the government's liquefaction facilities will allow for a minimum of five years' expansion into the thought-to-be previously exhausted shale oil strata."

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Mr. Barnesworth posted:

I was watching Tom Wessels New England Forests lectures on youtube regarding forest ecology, which are all really interesting and would recommend. The algo then suggested another discussion he joined with Michael Dowd and his "Post Doom" series. I suppose it's just preaching to the choir here but thought it was interesting nonetheless and warranted a post.

Post Doom

I'm thankful for this rec, keep them coming please!

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

Mr. Barnesworth posted:

Post Doom

In a post doom world, perhaps even a post-doom2 world, what can we do?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
:justpost: Doom

Mr. Barnesworth
Jun 28, 2008

I said GOOD DAY, sir!

A Bakers Cousin posted:

In a post doom world, perhaps even a post-doom2 world, what can we do?

humanize yourself and turn to face gaia

seriously though none of us are going to make it through the bottleneck, if you do, good luck

I'm learning everything I can while I have easy access to information about forestry and permaculture. The goal in mind over the next 10 years is to transform a 40 acre heavily logged black ash forest plot in the UP into a food forest capable of taking care of myself and as many people as I can.

Mr. Barnesworth has issued a correction as of 06:28 on Jan 23, 2022

Loddfafnir
Mar 27, 2021

Rime posted:

Something that has come up a lot recently in thread is a bit of "ZOMG How can I Prepare for Disaster XYZ?!?.

I came across this Crisis Risk Assessment exercise on one of my Deep Adaptation groups, which I think will help fellow goons better figure out how to align themselves with resilience against poo poo like the PNW Heat Dome or the Texas Ice Storm last year.

It's a good exercise, I encourage anxious goons to go through it.

This is great, thanks!
Do you have other similar resources?

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
:crackping:

re: significant other chat -- today my wife came home from shopping and I noticed she'd gotten extra dark coffee instead of the dark we usually get. I didn't comment, but she said they had been out of dark and she decided to just get it to make sure we have some on hand, and I said "yes, please buy coffee. I think it's something we should be enjoying as much as we can right now, because I don't expect it to exist during our :airquote: retirement :airquote: except maybe as a once a month $30-a-cup thing". This was reflexive and I almost regretted saying it, but she replied "well, yea, that was part of my thinking to. I don't know about 'doomer' or 'prepper', I didn't know those words until the last 10 years or so, but I remember being a little kid and thinking about what life would be like if I had to make do without any of the things I count on. This included limbs, I remember being 5 or 6 and thinking about if I lost an arm or leg".

Fuckin hell, I thought I was goddamn immortal until I was like 18 and 800ug of LSD showed me otherwise. Dunno how I ended up with this woman but at least some things have worked out okay for the moment in this hellscape of ours.

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

Loddfafnir posted:

This is great, thanks!
Do you have other similar resources?

This is basically a stripped-down, purpose-built version of the engineering exercise called Failure Modes and Effects Analysis (FMEA). Read up on FMEA and you'll get additional tools to apply.

Be warned FMEA is a very highly developed, extremely tedious process that everyone hates, but done right it helps you do things like build space shuttles that only blow up sometimes. If you only take away some high level concepts like Risk = Likelihood * Severity and apply them systematically to a situation then you're doing just fine.

That document does a good job of translating the concepts likelihood and severity into relevant metrics (how soon will it occur, how long will the crisis last). Understanding FMEA will give you additional tools for contextualizing the info from that document, like recognizing that how soon is just one component of likelihood and how long is only one component of severity.

From there you can think about particular ways in which things might go sideways and identify mitigation steps. Look for ways of reducing the likelihood of a crisis situation, or reducing the severity of its outcomes. Another category that isn't discussed here is detection, and some mitigation steps involve identifying how easy it is to tell if a crisis/failure is coming, how far in advance that information is available and what actions are possible in the time before it arrives. You can then design mitigation strategies that involve monitoring specific warning signs and executing preexisting plans when your criteria are met.

RIme's document is an excellent first step. Go through that process in full before worrying too much about adding detail.

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

biofat as a fuel source is a nightmare that hadn't yet occurred to me, thank you thread

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
got my yaupon tea from the yaupon brothers. Smells really nice. They also sent lots of samples. Honestly tastes just like any tea really. Definitely don't mind the flavor.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

an egg posted:

biofat as a fuel source is a nightmare that hadn't yet occurred to me, thank you thread

yw

i mean we already burn biofats in a lot of ways!

if you're desperate for a candle, some wound fabric for a wick and a liquid oil can go a long way

Alobar
Jun 21, 2011

Are you proud of me?

Are you proud of what I do?

I'll try to be a better man than the one that you knew.

Cabbages and Kings posted:

:crackping:

re: significant other chat -- today my wife came home from shopping and I noticed she'd gotten extra dark coffee instead of the dark we usually get. I didn't comment, but she said they had been out of dark and she decided to just get it to make sure we have some on hand, and I said "yes, please buy coffee. I think it's something we should be enjoying as much as we can right now, because I don't expect it to exist during our :airquote: retirement :airquote: except maybe as a once a month $30-a-cup thing". This was reflexive and I almost regretted saying it, but she replied "well, yea, that was part of my thinking to. I don't know about 'doomer' or 'prepper', I didn't know those words until the last 10 years or so, but I remember being a little kid and thinking about what life would be like if I had to make do without any of the things I count on. This included limbs, I remember being 5 or 6 and thinking about if I lost an arm or leg".

Fuckin hell, I thought I was goddamn immortal until I was like 18 and 800ug of LSD showed me otherwise. Dunno how I ended up with this woman but at least some things have worked out okay for the moment in this hellscape of ours.

i can definitely write with my left hand somewhat decently because omg what if i break my right hand and need to write something? or worse? what if i just lose my right hand? then i'd have to start from scratch

besides, my right arm would be much more useful if i had a chainsaw or a shotgun on it in the apocalyptic wasteland when i'm fighting someone to death over coffee beans, right?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

you lost that arm because you stocked up on coffee instead of learning to purify penicillin

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

I just got back from Kathmandu. In the middle of this pandemic and everything going wrong. Papayas and Bananas are growing wonderfully in the valley and everyone is happy. Except that it should be impossible with the climate in Kathmandu and the fact that its supposed to be winter season where the weather is supposed to be dry. There is a huge supply issue with wood. The wood needed for cremation due to covid has outstripped the supply of fire wood and now people are buying construction wood for the pyres. The construction needs for reconstruction from the earthquake is still there so its a huge crunch.

There are no supplies for hospitals in distribution. Everything has been hoarded and needs to be bought by individuals. I had to go to the black market to buy stents, tubes, fresh operating scalpels that was needed for my grandmothers operation. We also did the operation blind since the options were to let her be in sever pain till she dies, or to reduce the pain by doing a blind operation without a biopsy/PET scan.

Last thing i did before leaving was try to fill my grandmothers larder with dry goods, but there was no rice or lentils in the market. On the other hand thanks to Chinese aid, Nepal now produces more hydro power than it needs even during the dry winter months. So i guess i don't have to worry about cooking gas since i bought her a induction stove top.

There are no tourists so the Airport is one of the most apocalyptic sights. Its packed to the brim with departures. Specifically migrant workers, who go through a completely different immigration and customs area in the airport. But because the airport was built mainly to serve tourists, huge swaths of it is just empty. While a far corner of the airport has young men with lanyards and id sheets taped to their bags/shirts like cattle just winding allover the place.

I was shopping for spices and fruit for my grandmother in the old Durbar area where she used to shop, and i just broke. Why bother rebuilding these, why bother manning your storefront day after day when there is no tourists, when half the products you used to sell can no longer be found, and the fields and villages that used to grow them are housing developments that are one bad monsoon away from being washed off.

Either way, anyone have some good music to go along with the weird melancholia that's permeating everything these days? There is always the Bo Burnham classic That Funny Feeling, or God Speed.

Here are some Nepali songs that do me in:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cj6r5bE_NVI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sr_TLT_E7lg

And something english
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYcp1bUb4lU

Alobar
Jun 21, 2011

Are you proud of me?

mediaphage posted:

you lost that arm because you stocked up on coffee instead of learning to purify penicillin

well my coffee stonks made it so i could even afford to replace my hand on a still otherwise functional limb with something more interesting than just the standard, boring plastic club

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

ughhhh posted:

There are no supplies for hospitals in distribution. Everything has been hoarded and needs to be bought by individuals. I had to go to the black market to buy stents, tubes, fresh operating scalpels that was needed for my grandmothers operation. We also did the operation blind since the options were to let her be in sever pain till she dies, or to reduce the pain by doing a blind operation without a biopsy/PET scan.

Last thing i did before leaving was try to fill my grandmothers larder with dry goods, but there was no rice or lentils in the market. On the other hand thanks to Chinese aid, Nepal now produces more hydro power than it needs even during the dry winter months. So i guess i don't have to worry about cooking gas since i bought her a induction stove top.
:( you're an amazing grandkid. i wish you didn't have to be quite so amazing, but your grandma must be so grateful she has you. i hope the surgery is successful and makes her life a bit easier.

it's infuriating when xenophobes sneer about "economic migrants", like a person should only be allowed to leave the country they were born in if their lives are in critical danger (and sometimes not even then). they don't realise or care how many people all over the world completely depend on their family members who've managed to migrate to a country that has money. or worse, they do realise that dynamic exists and that most migrants are supporting somebody back home - and they hate and resent them anyway.

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

ughhhh posted:

I just got back from Kathmandu. In the middle of this pandemic and everything going wrong. Papayas and Bananas are growing wonderfully in the valley and everyone is happy. Except that it should be impossible with the climate in Kathmandu and the fact that its supposed to be winter season where the weather is supposed to be dry. There is a huge supply issue with wood. The wood needed for cremation due to covid has outstripped the supply of fire wood and now people are buying construction wood for the pyres. The construction needs for reconstruction from the earthquake is still there so its a huge crunch.

There are no tourists so the Airport is one of the most apocalyptic sights. Its packed to the brim with departures. Specifically migrant workers, who go through a completely different immigration and customs area in the airport. But because the airport was built mainly to serve tourists, huge swaths of it is just empty. While a far corner of the airport has young men with lanyards and id sheets taped to their bags/shirts like cattle just winding allover the place.

I was shopping for spices and fruit for my grandmother in the old Durbar area where she used to shop, and i just broke. Why bother rebuilding these, why bother manning your storefront day after day when there is no tourists, when half the products you used to sell can no longer be found, and the fields and villages that used to grow them are housing developments that are one bad monsoon away from being washed off.

Either way, anyone have some good music to go along with the weird melancholia that's permeating everything these days? There is always the Bo Burnham classic That Funny Feeling, or God Speed.

Here are some Nepali songs that do me in:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cj6r5bE_NVI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sr_TLT_E7lg

And something english
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYcp1bUb4lU

God drat

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

ughhhh posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Spi94jbbbE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7B8XFp2seY

Cabbages and VHS has issued a correction as of 09:11 on Jan 23, 2022

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009

ughhhh posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyZeJr5ppm8

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

an egg posted:

bands of fremen will come to claim your corpse for your body's water biofat

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.
Aldous Harding's new song is really good

ughhhh posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AO0CrlYZlQw

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSQt4ckq-dg

DEHUMANIZE YOURSELF AND FACE TO BLOODSHED

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SF5mf4LV7Jw

or dont, its your mind. me, i choose ice cold hatred with objective control.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8FHSNIc3wI

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
The meat is sick

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DD65K4VR6Lw

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIoBrob3bjI

Alobar
Jun 21, 2011

Are you proud of me?

https://railyardghosts.bandcamp.com/track/ode-to-joshua-slocum

quote:

There ain’t nothin’ in this land
Worthy of my life’s demand
I set my sails leeward

It’s the horizon that I chase
Forevermore without a place
Except the open sea

The ocean will devour me

I’ve done all I can do
And I’ve said all I can say, I must go on
I’ll waste my days drifting lost upon the waves
To be swallowed by the sun

From the tide in which we’re born
To the eye of the storm, forever more
Forever more
Rest my bones upon the sea
Ain’t no use to bury me upon the shore

I’ll sink down, into the dark
Let the depths tear me apart
I’ll sink down into the depths
In the dark where I will rest

Think of the coast in which he bled
She laid me down the night I fled
I’ll never forget

Heard that voice in the storm
Luring me to follow that ghost
I sold my soul

From sunrise and to sunset,
See which bones are all been left,
to the west, (???)

Rising tides me to shore,
I'll be driftwood ever more,
ever more

Ancient voices call upon the sands
Of the time where I was born
Born on the tide, born on the wind
These voices call me home again

Down into (down into)
The depths of (the depths of me)
That endless dark of sea, that ancient history

I’ll sail away, I’ll sail away
To find a place, to find a place
That resting bed that is my holy grave

I am a careful man at sea
Near the isle of pico a storm did arise
I grew weak and I fell ill

An apparition took the wheel!

My boat sailed itself into the sky
With the gods I now reside
My boat sailed itself into the sky
With the gods I now reside

I’ll sink down to the abyss
This life I’ll never miss

There ain’t nothin’ in this land
Worthy of my life's demand
So I set sail

Alobar
Jun 21, 2011

Are you proud of me?

lol gently caress now i want to drop some acid and watch akira

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0aCXuNxQA8

hekaton
Jan 5, 2022

sure wish i could understand what the hell was going on with my life
so i could be properly upset when things happen
i saw the future in a dream last night
there's nothing in it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QymCgh5x-H0

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

A Bakers Cousin posted:

The meat is sick

good thing omicron is mild

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

ughhhh posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ya3XufguZMY

Popoto has issued a correction as of 21:00 on Jan 23, 2022