Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
Has there ever been a media property with more bitch tits on screen than Star Trek?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

The General posted:

I haven't found the mudbath scenes skeevy in the past. I don't recall even a hint of anything sexual at all in the scene.

And I will say that it's nowhere near the levels of Kirk flirting with Miri for info (even though I know it's just to get information it weirds me out), and that absolutely :stare: scene of 10 year old Keiko trying to sleep with miles. And that whole what the gently caress arc with Garak and Ziyal.

See, I never got that Keiko was like "eh, we can still bone." She just says "we'll figure it out". And "Stuff it in your pants for 8 more years" is figuring it out.

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
Can't let the viewers know of Garak's rampant Bashir lust, that would immoral. Throw a teenage girl at him, at least its straight :cripes:

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Just checked and Ziyal was 21 when Damar killed her, so 19 when they rescued her from the mine.

Also, while looking that up I learned that apparently Ronald D Moore said in a '97 AOL chat that the writers had planned to point out that Ziyal was taking completely the wrong approach with Garak, cause we already saw that Cardassians flirt by negging each other, but they ran out of time to do anything with it.

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

CainFortea posted:

See, I never got that Keiko was like "eh, we can still bone." She just says "we'll figure it out". And "Stuff it in your pants for 8 more years" is figuring it out.

O'Brien seemed properly weirded out by the whole thing. The scene works fine in the episode, it's more just the meta "why the hell did you write this at all?" that bothers me.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the mud bath wasn't sexualized but that doesn't mean i want to see it

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Bismack Billabongo posted:

Has there ever been a media property with more bitch tits on screen than Star Trek?

Turn on your PADD.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

DJ_Mindboggler posted:

O'Brien seemed properly weirded out by the whole thing. The scene works fine in the episode, it's more just the meta "why the hell did you write this at all?" that bothers me.

Would it have been much better if they hadn't addressed it? The idea would still be hanging in the air for people who wanted to look for it. They really just shouldn't have used Keiko. Or better yet, they shouldn't have made the entire episode! poo poo sucked!

The kid Ro and kid Guinan scenes are alright though.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
This is the franchise that eventually brought you Kes, so IDK what you expect, really.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

DJ_Mindboggler posted:

Seems like them ignoring it entirely would be weirder.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Not sure if I would rather them ignore the issue or not, but assuming I'd rather them address it I think they could have done a much better job with it.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

They shoulda just had someone join Keiko and Miles's table at Ten Forward and they're both just looking like they had the absolute worst conversation, but refuse to go into details about it.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

Garak definitely expressed interest in Ziyal at one point. Also the mud bath scene was totally fine, I don't know what you're all whining about. Child Keiko was written way more uncomfortably.

I just made it through the first mirror universe ENT episode. Man they ask Blalock to take the smallest step out of her very narrow acting range of normal T'Pol and it becomes brutally obvious how talented of an actress she is.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

The Wonder Weapon posted:

Garak definitely expressed interest in Ziyal at one point.

You'll have to remind me when that was. My main takeaway was that he liked spending time with another Cardassian, because Cardassians are all innately racist, but it didn't go beyond that.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

I mostly perceived the relationship as a father figure. She's half cardie and will always be an outsider, he befriends her because he's an outsider too.

Though I wouldn't have been surprised for it turn matrimonial either. Family is important to cardassian identity, so getting married and having kids is still going to feel like the thing you ought to do. I can see him having that in the back of his mind as something to possibly explore once the war is over and then oops she's dead.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Tiddy cat Buddha improving your day.
Remember when Q did that thing where he said "Is it the tattoo? Because mine's bigger". That part made me laugh so hard. But now that I think about it wasn't that from a storyline where Q was trying to mate with Janeway which is kind of weird.

Also, in that one episode where Picard dies Picard says "You are not god, the universe is not so badly designed". I never understood if that was to suggest that it would be bad design for the universe to have Q as its god or if Q were god then the universe would have deficiencies that would point to Q being god's identity.

In cnoclusion Q is a funny character that has given us many memorable scenes.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The Picard trailer said it was 2024. So they're totally gonna do a "member the bell riots?" except instead of an inspirational black man leading to mass societal change it will be some 90 year old British dude who thinks he's and action hero.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Can't wait for Star Trek: Picard to show me that actually it's the poor peoples fault.

I seriously have zero respect for ST:P.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
Star Trek Picard is perfect in that it proudly represents all of the deficiencies that Star Trek has had since day one

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Arc Hammer posted:

The Picard trailer said it was 2024. So they're totally gonna do a "member the bell riots?" except instead of an inspirational black man leading to mass societal change it will be some 90 year old British dude who thinks he's and action hero.

If they did a seasonlong "Trials and Tribble-ations" with a DS9 episode, that would be a big improvement from doing a seasonlong "Star Trek: Picard"

The General
Mar 4, 2007

PostNouveau posted:

If they did a seasonlong "Trials and Tribble-ations" with a DS9 episode, that would be a big improvement from doing a seasonlong "Star Trek: Picard"

If they could respect the original and be as quality of Trials and Tribbleations sure. But it's Star Trek: Picard. They'd probably show Bell torturing kittens or something and talk about the dog fighting ring in the fenced off areas.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
The final episode of Star Trek Picard ends with Quark saying "Computer end program" and dumping the holoprogram in the garbage, saying "well that was loving stupid"

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Tiddy cat Buddha improving your day.

PostNouveau posted:

Fanservice pandering that people might actually like!

My suggestion. A season long dective data storyline.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
They're going to bring back Moriarty, but he's going to be played by Benedict Cumberbatch.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

The General posted:

If they could respect the original and be as quality of Trials and Tribbleations sure. But it's Star Trek: Picard. They'd probably show Bell torturing kittens or something and talk about the dog fighting ring in the fenced off areas.

nope. patrick stewart loves dogs so the show will be respectful in its portrayal of them

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

External Organs posted:

They're going to bring back Moriarty, but he's going to be played by Benedict Cumberbatch.

He will also be an agent of chaos Joker-style villain, but with a sympathetic backstory

You've got to stay on top of the zeitgeists

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
TNG Rewatch: lmao what is this prop and why did they never bring it back it owns

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Danaru posted:

TNG Rewatch: lmao what is this prop and why did they never bring it back it owns

Needs a siren and the word CRUSHER slapped across it

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Danaru posted:

The final episode of Star Trek Picard ends with Quark saying "Computer end program" and dumping the holoprogram in the garbage, saying "well that was loving stupid"

Focusing on his hand as he presses the delete button and all the figures in the thumbnail scream for him not to press it

fcc compliant bob
Jan 15, 2006

The must un-fantastic avitar on the forum (guranteed!)
Hey guys. Real question. Is it really true that Quentin Tarantino was interested in directing a Star Trek movie? c/d

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

hold on a minute ill ask him

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

he said it was a miscommunication. what he wanted to write about was starfeet

fcc compliant bob
Jan 15, 2006

The must un-fantastic avitar on the forum (guranteed!)

Achmed Jones posted:

he said it was a miscommunication. what he wanted to write about was starfeet

No no! I saw it on Red Letter Media though why are you being so meaaan

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

Danaru posted:

TNG Rewatch

i never realized sickbay had an ICEE machine but its in like every single episode

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

I am a bit amused that Quark is the only alien who is aware what humans are really like and only because humans made a deliberate choice to move away from what we are do humans get disrespected as soft by the rest of the galaxy. Cardassians occupy Bajor for 50 years, leading to 10 million dead in the occupation. Humans can rip that out in a fraction of time, on a more local scale, without space tech. Borg look at humans and go 'We have to have that' and try over and over to assimilate them, despite being tens of thousands of light years from Earth. Mirror universe, for all it sucks rear end, humans are the dominate power in the galaxy on a wave of conquest. Worf is constantly bad mouthing human culture as soft, and never seemed to ever investigate traditional human warrior cultures. Romulans and other warrior races same.

Federation presents a soft, luxury look to the galaxy, and only with the Dominion do they face hardship. Its my belief that the Federation out tech the rest of their contemporaries so hard that they can afford embassy cruisers and fighting science vessels, with a gentlemans agreement, at least with itself, to make only ships on par with their rivals. Then the Dominion shows up, matches and exceeds them in tech, and suddenly they need to build the Defiant using all their tech toward war do you see what a real Fed warship would be capable of.

sharing Trek thoughts :v:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Maybe you could send over one of those famed Starfleet engineers who can turn rocks into replicators!

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Danaru posted:

When Barclay says "Computer, end program" at the end of that one Moriarty episode, I shut it off and treat that as the end of the franchise.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Danaru posted:

In what universe is Quark just going to throw away anything he could make a profit on?

QUARK
Computer! End program!

QUARK and NOG are standing alone in a HOLOSUITE

NOG
Uncle! That was…

QUARK (sighing)
Terrible. Nothing like the man, or the Federation.

NOG
Seeing all these great heroes… mocked like this…

QUARK
You don’t think your fellow Starfleet would enjoy… the variety?

(NOG shakes his head sadly)

The drama?

(Again, a head shake)

The effects?

(NOG angles his head, considers this one for a second, then shakes it again)

This wretched thing cost me 3 bars of gold-pressed latinum! I have the exclusive, galaxy-wide rights to it! I am supposed to launch time new Starfleet Family Zone with it as the main attraction but it’s just hours of discordant, loud, confusing, nonsensical…

NOG (sadly)
Torture!

QUARK (instantly brightening)
What did you say? You’re right! It was torture! And my Cousin Gayla was just saying that it’s getting harder and harder to find material to break hoomans - they’re getting well trained you know.

NOG (horrified)
No, Uncle!

QUARK (oblivious)
You know he used to sell this “four lights” contraption where you chain them up - naked - and force them to tell you there are five lights. Utterly hopeless! I told him, I told him “Gayla, these hoomans don’t have any sense for economics but they can still count, they’re perfectly numerate!” This would be much better. And I have the exclusive rights! This could be huge!

NOG
No, Uncle! You can’t sell torture equipment! It’s illegal and immoral. As a Starfleet officer

QUARK
Torture equipment? It’s a holonovel! Perfectly legal.

NOG
(Considers this for a beat)

But… it would be worthless to Gayla if a Starfleet officer reported the contents of the novel to update their training.

QUARK
Well you went through it too, I suppose. (Winces a little) 5%?

NOG (quickly)
Done!

(A little shocked at himself) But!

QUARK (softens)
But you’re right, my boy, Starfleet Intelligence WOULD be curious to know what the latest torture materials are in the field. And my Starfleet Family Zone needs advertising. (Clicks fingers) I know just who to talk to.

NOG (smiling)
After Gayla pays up, of course.

QUARK
Naturally. (Considers the HOLOSUITE for a moment, sourly). I need a drink. You’re buying.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

John Murdoch posted:

When Barclay says "Computer, end program" at the end of that one Moriarty episode, I shut it off and treat that as the end of the franchise.

i love how much we all love star trek

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

edit: reverse page snipe