Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I run mine on pretty much every game at 1080p60 at whatever presets nvidia recommends and dont see any hitches. Screen tearing is a but of an issue sometimes. My lappy's screen has gsync so its not a problem there but my lg c8 often requires me to bump down the effects to pay for vsync and im most often playing on the big screen
Shoulda waited a few years for the newer lg's with the vrr and poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

ColdPie posted:

I really like it when people are mean to other people on the internet. We could really use more of that in these trying times.

Personally could use less people climbing onto a cross over incredibly mild teasing in these trying times but to each his own.

I thought the tutorial was barebones but fine, they clearly think you should learn by just playing games. Which makes sense given how short each one is.

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D

dr_rat posted:

But no mummm you dont underSTANDDDDDDD! We were discussing video games and important, and they were WRONG AND STUPIDDD!

and if i don't tell them they're a stupid head HOW WILL THEY EVER KNOWWWWW!!!!!

this guy is 40 years old :whitewater:

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
Look if I can't tell customers they're stupid for not looking up the hours of operation for the store online and save us both time then I can at least insult strangers on the internet!

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best

American McGay posted:

Sorry you have a hard time memorizing that Y is jump and to spin the stick for a curve shot. Praying for you in this difficult time.

How many points to win a game, how many points for different ways of scoring. Do you win points from catching, do you get power ups from catching? You lose points from not catching right? gently caress knows.

They’ve invented a digital version of old school physical instruction manual, only you can’t view when you’re in the game - you have to go to the Home Screen. It’s crap and I won’t be playing that free game again thank you very much sir

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

McTimmy posted:

Look if I can't tell customers they're stupid for not looking up the hours of operation for the store online and save us both time then I can at least insult strangers on the internet!

That's like the one legitimate use of neo-nazi fuckwits on the internet!!!

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Real hurthling! posted:

I run mine on pretty much every game at 1080p60 at whatever presets nvidia recommends and dont see any hitches. Screen tearing is a but of an issue sometimes. My lappy's screen has gsync so its not a problem there but my lg c8 often requires me to bump down the effects to pay for vsync and im most often playing on the big screen
Shoulda waited a few years for the newer lg's with the vrr and poo poo

If you want some zen poo poo to do with your equally specced old PC, install Dead Space 2 on PC gamepass, turn off Vsync and marvel at how good that game still looks today without being limited to 30FPS, or even worse the 720p/30 console versions. Seriously it could have come out last week and I'd call it a very nice looking game. and it's like 11 years old. I havent clocked it or anything but I'm pretty sure I'm getting 120 consistently.

Unfortunately if you do this with Dead Space 1 it breaks the physics engine though lol. 2 is fine though.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

press all the button

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

Crafty posted:

How many points to win a game, how many points for different ways of scoring. Do you win points from catching, do you get power ups from catching? You lose points from not catching right? gently caress knows.

They’ve invented a digital version of old school physical instruction manual, only you can’t view when you’re in the game - you have to go to the Home Screen. It’s crap and I won’t be playing that free game again thank you very much sir

15 points win a set if there is time left, otherwise it is top score. Goals are 5 or 3 depending where they are and you get 2 points if the other guy cant catch a lob pass. I learned all this by playing two cpu games.

If it's not your thing whatever that's fine, but needing some 10 minute in depth game tutorial to play Windjammers is weird to me. It's very simple and approachable.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

veni veni veni posted:

, install Dead Space 2 on PC gamepass, turn off Vsync and marvel at how good that game still looks today without being limited to 30FPS, or even worse the 720p/30 console versions. Seriously it could have come out last week and I'd call it a very nice looking game. and it's like 11 years old.

Good art direction is a lot better then just a whole bunch of technically good graphic stuff chucked over boring art. Like artists can do more with more tools available to them, but man there are a lot of technically good graphics games out there that just have the most boring and generic of poo poo art style.

There is a whole bunch of older game that still look amazing as they just used what tech they had in really cool looking and creative ways.

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best
Next thing you guys will be claiming you didn’t read a strategy guide for pong

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah for sure. There are ten year old games that still look fantastic, and will look fantastic ten years from now. There's games that are brand new and look "fine" and those will be the ones that look the most dated down the line.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Although I think Dead Space 2 holds up weirdly well. I can look at other games from that era and they are definitely showing their age more. Like, I'd say Metal Gear Solid 4 had really strong art direction but it still looks kind of old when you look at it in action. Of course there being no PC port of that doesn't help. Dead Space 2 could pass as brand new game imo. I don't even think the remake of 1 looks much better than it from what they have shown.

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best
So hitman 1 from the trilogy isn’t the first hitman? Did Microsoft advise them on naming conventions?

I remember running around with some guns called ballers and making people fly through the air, that is not possible in hitman 1

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

It’s not hitman one proper. It started as like an episodic thing.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Hitman reboot was actually called Hitman: A World of Assassination or something

skipmyseashells
Nov 14, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 29 minutes!
play hitman contracts if you want real hitman 1, it’s on GOG but idk about consoles

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I wish I liked hitman games.

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best
I’ve got this game called hitman (tm). I bought it ages ago and I only played the intro, is that part of the trilogy?

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

veni veni veni posted:

Although I think Dead Space 2 holds up weirdly well. I can look at other games from that era and they are definitely showing their age more. Like, I'd say Metal Gear Solid 4 had really strong art direction but it still looks kind of old when you look at it in action. Of course there being no PC port of that doesn't help. Dead Space 2 could pass as brand new game imo. I don't even think the remake of 1 looks much better than it from what they have shown.

Never got around to playing the Dead Space series and alas I'm on an incredibly lovely internet connection at the moment (:australia:) so can't actually load any video of it, but looked at some screen shots and yeah, it does just look good. From the screenshots looks like they took a lot of consideration where they put the lights. Being a horror game that makes a hell of a lot of sense. Just a great use of light an shadow. The thing'esk mutant designs also helps a lot.

I think as it was a horror game, that care in how the atmosphere of environment makes a lot of sense. They wanted to up the dread so they took a lot of care in the look of the gameplay environment to do that. But yeah what ever the reasons, they makers of it did bloody great job.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Crafty posted:

So hitman 1 from the trilogy isn’t the first hitman? Did Microsoft advise them on naming conventions?

I remember running around with some guns called ballers and making people fly through the air, that is not possible in hitman 1

Crafty posted:

I’ve got this game called hitman (tm). I bought it ages ago and I only played the intro, is that part of the trilogy?

this shits hilarious man keep it up

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

elf help book posted:

this shits hilarious man keep it up

I mean their broader points still accurate. A lot of game series -movies too- just suck at naming. Like some series are just bizarre in how they name and sure it only takes like ten-twenty seconds to google, but also could you just not suck at naming stuff?

I mean that probably just comes down to publishers marketing departments being awful. And if you are not just a truly awful person, who only but wishes pain unto this world, why else would you go into marketing? So that does make sense.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
They named the fifth Scream movie “Scream”

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
They named the 96th final fantasy game Final Fantasy XVI

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best
I’m a very cool guy that does non-gaming things so I thought hitman 1 was the original hitman.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

JBP posted:

I wish I liked hitman games.

I wish I liked the new ones, but they just feel like watered down Blood Money

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

dr_rat posted:

I mean their broader points still accurate. A lot of game series -movies too- just suck at naming. Like some series are just bizarre in how they name and sure it only takes like ten-twenty seconds to google, but also could you just not suck at naming stuff?

I mean that probably just comes down to publishers marketing departments being awful. And if you are not just a truly awful person, who only but wishes pain unto this world, why else would you go into marketing? So that does make sense.

Ever notice you park on a driveway and drive on a parkway?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Blue Raider posted:

I liked the demo of the first game because the triad guys would yell "this guy's packing!" in a comical way when you pulled an Uzi outside the Chinese restaurant but beyond that I've always found them a bit boring.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
On one hand, I absolutely hate that Nobody Saves the World forces me to fiddle around with forms and attacks and traits I don't like just to progress and unlock other forms.

On the other hand, it has led me to the slug and the ghost, which are loving choice

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

elf help book posted:

And why do they call them "buildings" when they're already done building them? :v:

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Blue Raider posted:

I’d love the blood money missions in this engine. But every single level has more content than blood money

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

elf help book posted:

Lol look at all these elitist high class, academic royal types, who can afford cars and metaphors. I ain't going to get your classical literature references man.

Just a simple man here, who likes discussing those video games and eaten beans out of a can.

Now if you can come up with some sort of cold can o' beans analogy, then I may get where you're coming from.

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best

elf help book posted:

You are my #1 favourite poster in this thread*

*Microsoft/hitman ranking convention

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Escobarbarian posted:

They named the fifth Scream movie “Scream”

That's more a meta joke on horror reboot naming schemes than an unironic use of it.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

SCheeseman posted:

That's more a meta joke on horror reboot naming schemes than an unironic use of it.

Other way around I'm sure. Hey writers this is the meta horror franchise, make sure you include a fourth wall breaky joke about how we didn't put a number at the end because we want to mass market this thing.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

“Blood Money’s levels had more content” sure is a sentence.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

hatty posted:

They named the 96th final fantasy game Final Fantasy XVI

the roman numeral is very posh, true finesse

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

acksplode posted:

Other way around I'm sure. Hey writers this is the meta horror franchise, make sure you include a fourth wall breaky joke about how we didn't put a number at the end because we want to mass market this thing.

What about The Scream.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

the roman numeral is very posh, true finesse

I only consume, like indie media, that use knot based numeral systems in their titles.

You wouldn't of heard any them though, their all like all really, really underground.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

dr_rat posted:

I only consume, like indie media, that use knot based numeral systems in their titles.

You wouldn't of heard any them though, their all like all really, really underground.

:hmmyes: