Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

You should at least know enough about the field to convincingly make poo poo up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

les enfants Terrific!
Dec 12, 2008

Quackles posted:

I see that and raise you.

AITA for lying about an allergy at a restaurant and ending up at the emergency room?

florida man gets his comeuppance

As someone who is genuinely allergic to onions and had to go to the ER for that in the past, I want to punch this man in the throat.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

SYSV Fanfic posted:

Anyone remember people of walmart?

Yeah, it was grossly classist. Look at all the funny poor people, don't they look awful!

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Invisible Clergy posted:

New season of ''curb your enthusiasm" looks great.

AITA for Being a Bad Employee

"Hey, reddit, I've got this goose that lays golden eggs. How should I kill it?"

I know a lot of people think that having a job where you do nothing is awesome but for a lot of people having nothing to do all day is more stressful than having something useful to do. I've been in a situation similar to that once and it loving sucks and makes you feel like poo poo.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Tarkus posted:

I know a lot of people think that having a job where you do nothing is awesome but for a lot of people having nothing to do all day is more stressful than having something useful to do. I've been in a situation similar to that once and it loving sucks and makes you feel like poo poo.
Yeah, and also having a job where your employer is giving you nothing to do but then wants to know what you've been doing is a pretty lovely situation. OP's very new to the field and when he's tried to bring it up he gets ignored, if I were him I'd be nervous about a more experienced and established lawyer trashing his reputation and claiming he was grifting money when for all intents and purposes OP wants work to do and is just being ignored.

Why the hell isn't his boss giving him stuff to do related to the boss' previous day of work before the boss comes into work?? If OP is supposed to be his personal assistant but boss never gives him work what does the boss think is going on? It's absurd.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Tarkus posted:

As someone that works live events and takes a lot of pride in his job, the last two years have loving suuuuuucked for this exact reason

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

PetraCore posted:

Yeah, and also having a job where your employer is giving you nothing to do but then wants to know what you've been doing is a pretty lovely situation. OP's very new to the field and when he's tried to bring it up he gets ignored, if I were him I'd be nervous about a more experienced and established lawyer trashing his reputation and claiming he was grifting money when for all intents and purposes OP wants work to do and is just being ignored.

Why the hell isn't his boss giving him stuff to do related to the boss' previous day of work before the boss comes into work?? If OP is supposed to be his personal assistant but boss never gives him work what does the boss think is going on? It's absurd.

Plus it might be great in the short term but longer term he’s hosed because he’s not learning anything.

Pomme de Terror
Sep 30, 2021

Well, one of us must have killed him!
AITA for going to IKEA with my girlfriend and then refusing to pay half?

quote:

My girlfriend(23F) and I(24M) just moved in together yesterday. I moved into her apartment that she had shared with her roommate before I moved in. So the apartment was half furnished since her roommate took half of everything.

I lived in an incredibly small bachelor style studio so the only things I really had was a queen bed, a couch (that she hated) and a tv. We agreed to keep my bed and bed frame since she had a full.

She suggested we go to ikea to restock the house and she was super excited about it. When we got there she filled our entire cart with furniture, kitchen and bathroom stuff.

She was asking my opinion on stuff and I was happy to give it but I saw the bill racking up pretty quickly. She ended up getting so much stuff that I saw as pointless. Like bathroom rugs, a soap dispenser, a dresser even though she has one, she got a second matching beside table for my side of the bed, some art for the apartment and TWO giant rugs! One for the bedroom and one for the living room. And this is just some of the stuff I didn’t think we needed. There was plenty more.

We ended up having two full carts of stuff and before we even went to checkout she said “everything else we can just get on Amazon.” I was genuinely in shock she thought we needed even more then all of this crap.

But we went to checkout and just like I thought the total was almost $1,400. She asked the cashier if we could split the bill half way on two cards and I was horrified. I told her no way was a I paying half for all of this. She looked surprised and we quickly began to argue. She told me this was for the both of us but I disagreed and said I didn’t need half of this stuff. After about 5 minutes of arguing and holding up the line she paid and we left.

The entire hour ride home we argued and when we got home I was given the silent treatment after being called a cheap jerk. Am I the rear end in a top hat here??

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

therattle posted:

Plus it might be great in the short term but longer term he’s hosed because he’s not learning anything.
Yeah, really the best move is to get a different position with a different employer and it sounds like he's working on that. Baffling all around.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Pomme de Terror posted:

i can live in a room with nothing but a TV and an xbox in it, i don't know why my gf needs all this useless stuff

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Pomme de Terror posted:

She could have obviated this whole mess by saying three magic words before they ever went to IKEA: "what's your budget?"

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012
AITA I yelled at my husband

quote:

My husband's best friend Ella called him asking him if he could meet her immediately while we were going to get groceries. My husband, Roger said that she sounded like she was crying and asked me if we could just stop by for a while to check in on Ella. I agreed.

When she opened the door, she looked like a train wreck honestly. Her eyes were swollen and red, she was sniffing, and she hugged Roger at the doorstep. I was about to ask her to take off her hands from my husband when to my shock he hugged her back and started comforting her.

When we were all seated in her living room, she said that her fiancé called off their wedding a week before their marriage. He said that he wasn't ready for the marriage anymore although they had been dating since high school(14 year old relationship).

Apparently she was in a very poor state of mind and that's why she called my husband immediately so that she'd have someone with her.

Roger asked her if she'd like to have dinner with us. She accepted saying that she could do with some company.

I was really mad at Roger for inviting her over to dinner because I'd been looking forward to having dinner with him after nearly 2 weeks of hectic work schedules.

After dinner, Ella said she'd be sleeping over at her mom's place for the night and left. I blew up at Roger calling him selfish for not asking me before inviting Ella over for dinner.

He said that I'd never mentioned anything regarding a date night today and he thought it would be nice to help Ella deal with her pain even if it was for a short while.

I feel bad for shouting at him. On second thought, he really didn't know that I'd planned a date night for the two of us.

AITA?
In the comments:

quote:

I just felt uncomfortable seeing as she was hugging another man just a few hours after being dumped. I wouldn't be in the state of mind to tell to anyone let alone hug another guy if my husband divorced me

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

I'm bad with money and you have an avatar!
AITA for kicking my wife's family out after they flew down to stay with us for a few weeks?

My wife (26f) and I (28m) got married last year in the midst of Covid and didn't have a wedding. Her family lives about 18hours away by car, and a flight costs about $450 round trip per person if you plan it right. Two months after the wedding, we found out we were expecting!

Flash forward to now. Our beautiful daughter was born right after Christmas, and we're happier than we ever thought we could be.

In-laws decide to come down and stay a few weeks to help us out while we transition into going back to work and find a babysitter as well. I'd never met them before this because of the distance and then the pandemic. We were both so excited to see them! Until they were finally here. From day 1, we've had problems with them. (mom, dad, two sisters)

Things that have happened since they got here 6 days ago:

-MIL threw out half of baby's brand new clothes because they "weren't her style"

-FIL dug a hole in our garden and took a poo poo because the bathrooms were occupied. Twice.

-Sister 1 ruined my wife's Christmas gift (I got her 6 liquid lipsticks she's been wanting for a while) by breaking all of the wand applicators and then trying to put the makeup on the baby.

-Sister 2 ran away from our house 2 days in and we couldn't find her for almost 48 hours. Turns out she met someone online before coming and was staying at his house. (She's 19) there was a whole police investigation and everything.

-MIL took $150 out of my wallet yesterday to "buy groceries" then left for 3 hours and came back with no groceries but her nails & hair are done

-my wife found some dirty roaches in the bag of Sister 1 while doing laundry this morning.

I've talked to the family after each incident and they laugh and blow it off as if it's something normal or to be expected.

I mean no disrespect to anyone out there who lives in trailers. But this family is straight up trailer trash.

I had the last straw when we found the dirty roaches because I cannot and will not have those in my house. So I asked them to find a cheap motel to stay in. Even offered to help pay for half of it.

Now my wife is mad because I hurt their feelings and thinks I should give them another chance. I've given them multiple. She even told me that they weren't helping with the baby at all.

AITA?

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Invisible Clergy posted:

In the comments on this non-throwaway account, he claims to live in a rural area in brazil. (Paraphrasing a synthesis of many of OP's comments doubling down and continuing to be a piece of poo poo) All he eats is pizza which he claims in brazil only comes in pre-fabricated "flavors" so he can't just order pizza with toppings he actually likes, and restaurants do not honor his request because (as he claims all brazilians do) he dines exclusively in illegal, non-licensed holes in the ground because the only alternatives are chain restaurants like mcdonald's or fine dining places which cost "1/5 minimum wage." Since the restaurants are unlicensed they also, he claims, do not respect allergies the same way first world restaurants do, when he says he "does not like" olives, he always gets them on his prefabricated supreme-like pizza, but when he says he "is allergic to" olives, apparently they pick them off sometimes, so even when trying to double down, he can't keep his story straight and he just enjoys annoying sub-minimum wage workers, like all allergy fakers.

I mean if I've learned one thing from something awful it's that all Brazilian pizzas have olives on them.

WaywardWoodwose
May 19, 2008

The woods are lovely, dark, and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.

Foo Diddley posted:

i can live in a room with nothing but a TV and an xbox in it, i don't know why my gf needs all this useless stuff

If they broke up in a month, how much of that stuff do you think she would have let him have had he paid half?
I hate these stories because i know so many guys that have to ditch all their stuff when they move in with a woman, then when they split up, they have nothing. I mean why bother furnishing an apartment if you're just gonna throw all that poo poo away because your partner doesn't think it matches her aesthetic.

a podcast for cats
Jun 22, 2005

Dogs reading from an artifact buried in the ruins of our civilization, "We were assholes- " and writing solemnly, "They were assholes."
Soiled Meat

olylifter posted:

AITA for kicking my wife's family out after they flew down to stay with us for a few weeks?

Both parents were Charles Manson (long story).

quantumwell
Jun 22, 2013

Absurd Alhazred posted:

She could have obviated this whole mess by saying three magic words before they ever went to IKEA: "what's your budget?"

But remember, Mr Bachelor pad only needs a bed, a TV, and a ratty sofa. Poor woman ought to buy him a flesh light and
kick him to the curb.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Pomme de Terror posted:

Woah there, I'm not paying for such decadent excess as a *checks list* soap dispenser!

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Walh Hara posted:

In the comments:

I feel like she's going to be able to test that theory soon!

quantumwell posted:

But remember, Mr Bachelor pad only needs a bed, a TV, and a ratty sofa. Poor woman ought to buy him a flesh light and
kick him to the curb.

If she were buying she'd probably make it the apartment's fleshlight.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Has anyone notice the flood of "i aborted over my bf\partners objection" lately?

quantumwell
Jun 22, 2013

Ensign Expendable posted:

Woah there, I'm not paying for such decadent excess as a *checks list* soap dispenser!

Look, soap on a rope is good enough for anyone. And don't get me started on such extravagances as "Shampoo" and "Conditioner"

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Walh Hara posted:

In the comments:

OP's husband should divorce the OP then invite Ella over to more dinners until she finds a new boyfriend who's not poo poo.

Blastedhellscape
Jan 1, 2008
When I was a child I started telling people I was allergic to tomatoes because I hated the taste. I did it partly because I didn't really understand what allergic reactions even were and had some kid logic like "I hate tomatoes so much they kind of make me sick to my stomach. Maybe that's what 'allergic' is?" Later I learned better and just started saying that I didn't like tomatoes.

Wild seeing grown rear end adults pull the same move I did when I was five.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
You don't understand man they have to make the fries fresh!

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

WaywardWoodwose posted:

If they broke up in a month, how much of that stuff do you think she would have let him have had he paid half?
I hate these stories because i know so many guys that have to ditch all their stuff when they move in with a woman, then when they split up, they have nothing. I mean why bother furnishing an apartment if you're just gonna throw all that poo poo away because your partner doesn't think it matches her aesthetic.

well, i don't know. every time i bought apartment stuff with a partner, i made sure that i got my half when we broke up. it seems your guy friends don't do this, so they all had to take a loss on their shared apartment stuff. so i guess in this story, it could go either way

or it couldn't, actually, 'cuz OP already refused to pay for anything

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

Aramoro posted:

I feel this is an issue for the British Broadcasting Corporation and Cognitive Behavioural Therapy as well.

I will say that every time a designer sends me a Figma file I do, in my head, go Figma Balls!.

Help my brain is poisoned

I know this is late but OMG SAME

vudan
Dec 11, 2010
It's kind of weird to me that the "dirty roaches" (I'm assuming some joints) were the last straw but MIL stealing from his wallet was not.

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

It’s bugs not drugs.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

incoherent posted:

Has anyone notice the flood of "i aborted over my bf\partners objection" lately?

They're a hell of a lot better than "I was convinced/coerced to carry to term and it ruined my life" stories.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Pomme de Terror posted:

ESH. People who had Wire Mothers should never date people who had Cloth Mothers. It just never works out.

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

therattle posted:

Absolute truth, the first full-time job I had as a legal secretary my boss spent all his time on his campaign for elected office and it sucked. Not that I had a great work ethic (which was hard to learn, but I learned it . . . at a later job), but I was basically set up to fail. It was years ago and I still resent it.

limp_cheese posted:

I feel like if she was half as close to the nanny as she claims she should have at least talked to her first before immediately going to the police and getting a restraining order. Regardless of that conversation they should get another nanny but I feel like this was an overreaction to finding a secret Instagram.

There's always someone who thinks you should be nicer to the person/people who behaved appallingly, but they usually don't show up in this thread. Interesting.

Splicer posted:

My friend is very tall and when he went to Japan grown adult strangers would jump up to try to pat him on the head multiple times a day.

This is just loving wholesome though.

Skutter
Apr 8, 2007

Well you can fuck that sky high!

incoherent posted:

I have not, but I'm getting sick of the "my MIL hates me and she is a crazy insane person who hates us". They usually have the following characteristics:

- The MIL hates the OP, to an irrational extent, where they will even forego a relationship with their child (generally their son because the OP is usually a woman)
- The MIL always has a boyfriend or husband who isn't the OP's partner's father (and this partner is usually a huge piece of poo poo too)
- Either the MIL is rich, or her boyfriend/husband is rich, and she refuses to spend money on the OP and their family
- Dress drama: Either the MIL wants to wear or did wear an inappropriate dress to the OP's wedding, or the MIL is getting married and the OP hates their wedding dress, and threats of destruction of the dress is mentioned often
- If the OP has kids they hate the kids or just don't care about them, and they refuse to buy them anything or interact with the kids at all

There are a couple different twists on this story (like the daughter will do something lovely to the MIL but try to say it's okay because MIL sucks), but there have been so many in the past few months that you know what the high notes will be before you even read them.

Actual content instead of dumb nonsense (spoilering because I think it makes it funnier): AITA for telling my friend blind people can’t drive?

quote:

I’ve(F19) been friends with Sarah(F19) since the third grade. She used to lie A LOT and was constantly contradicting everything she said.

Anyways, about 5 years ago, we got into a pretty bad argument. It ended with her calling me every insult she could think of when I called her out. I didn’t talk to her for 3 years after that.

What was the argument about? She told me that blind people could drive. She said that her cousin, who has two glass eyes, got her license and was driving her around downtown. I knew she was lying, but I asked her how her cousin knew how to get around, when to stop or what to do if someone jumped in front of her vehicle.

Her response to everything was “(cousins name) has a really good sense of direction”.

I told her that wasn’t possible. My cousin is completely blind in one eye and she cannot get a license. It’s obviously not safe. Sarah did not like me calling her out and that’s when the insults started.

After that, we started talking again in the eleventh grade. She still lies occasionally, but whatever. I don’t consider her a close friend.

Last night, Sarah and I were out with a group of friends. Not sure what we were originally talking about, but Sarah brought up the topic again. This time, she said that I was the one who lied about having a blind cousin with a license.

I was pissed and my friends knew it too. They knew she was lying. I told her to “grow the f*** up and stop lying. You’re not a little girl anymore”. She got mad at left after once again, calling me a bunch of names.

My friends think I should’ve just let it go. Sarah had cancer when she was 11 and they believe that she lied because she didn’t have much of a childhood. So AITA? Should I have just let it go?

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum

Pomme de Terror posted:

He was hosed either way, as if she assumed he'd pay half of the cost without asking, she probably assumed he'd assemble all of the furniture as well.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Walh Hara posted:

In the comments:

Someone who can't see a female/male relationship as anything but sexual is in of itself a red flag, but yeah the rest seals the rear end in a top hat deal anyway.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

GI_Clutch posted:

He was hosed either way, as if she assumed he'd pay half of the cost without asking, she probably assumed he'd assemble all of the furniture as well.

Assembling furniture is fun!

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Walh Hara posted:

In the comments:

I hate this woman, but if she is losing her mind over Ella hugging her husband, how is she ok with her husband even being "best friends" with a woman at all?

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Assembling furniture is fun!
Yeah!

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Ravenfood posted:

I hate this woman, but if she is losing her mind over Ella hugging her husband, how is she ok with her husband even being "best friends" with a woman at all?

She has definitely been unhappy with it prior to this.

edgeman83
Jul 13, 2003

Skutter posted:

I have not, but I'm getting sick of the "my MIL hates me and she is a crazy insane person who hates us". They usually have the following characteristics:

Those stories are super fascinating to me, in a meta way. For a while last year there was at least 1 MIL story posted in the early morning hours. It was obviously written by the same person and had the same characteristics, like you said, but unless you had seen a lot of them it was just different enough that it could have been legit.

It is just interesting how a person can take so much time writing iterations on the same story, with enough consistency that you can make a goddamn tropes list. I also find them hilarious in the Southpark Loch Ness Monster way, where I get tricked until I realize what they actually are halfway through. I kinda wonder if anyone has made a list of the frequent flyer stories in AITA and Relationship_Advice.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Assembling $1400 of furniture might get old after a while, though. That could be half a dozen pieces

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

haveblue posted:

Assembling $1400 of furniture might get old after a while, though. That could be half a dozen pieces

I not so secretly really love flat pack furniture.

It's like a puzzle, and then you get a prize of furniture at the end!