Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

builds character posted:

Also a little disappointed nobody posted this when we started talking about scooter possibilities.

Is there a learner L on that scooter?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
Scooters rule. I’m loving the Roadster, but there is no way it will replace the scooter for bopping across the neighborhood on an errand or to get to a meeting.

The strength of Star Wars’ aesthetic has always been its lived in look and hover-scooters covered in dumb poo poo is the most realistic, believable thing I think they’ve done since the 80’s.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

There’s a speeder scooter that looks like this in the new Boba Fett show and it made me chuckle.

I saw a swarm of scooters like the pic on the last page with a range of mirrors and accessories while at eating at a ramen shop in Tokyo pass by. For the life of me I can't find the video I took to share. That scene in Boba Fett reminded me of that trip :sigh:

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

builds character posted:

Use the clutch to modulate power. It's how bikes are supposed to be ridden.

Also a little disappointed nobody posted this when we started talking about scooter possibilities.

Actually seen a very similar "all the mirrors" scooter in Stirling once.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

builds character posted:

Use the clutch to modulate power. It's how bikes are supposed to be ridden.

:mods:

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

:lol:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Lmao

Patrocclesiastes
Apr 30, 2009

I gun it everywhere on my Vstrom and drift every corner in winter in my SKYLINE

RVT
Nov 5, 2003
What's the thread opinion on R7 vs cbr650r?

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

The R7 has fairly aggressive ergos despite being otherwise not aggressive. Never ridden or sat on a CBR650R, but it looks more relaxed. Just on paper and reputation I’d lean towards the R7.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

R7 has racetrack ergonomics. It's supposed to be pretty good if that's what you're looking for but it wouldn't be a great everyday street bike for most people.

The Honda is expensive, heavy, and boring compared to the other middleweights so it doesn't get recommended unless you have terminal Honda brain worms.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Does the RS660 have any terminal problems that should exclude it from consideration? Apart from not starting at 0°C of course.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

You mean like "replace the engine" recalls?

https://motorsportsnewswire.com/2021/07/19/aprilia-recall-of-certain-rs-660-and-tuono-660-motorcycles/

Shouldn't be a problem if you're getting a new one obviously... you know... probably

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Phy posted:

The sequence from about 22 to 42 seconds plays in my head nearly every time I turn the key

https://youtu.be/pehEHD1n8hI

I for one appreciated the hell out of that song, it's been a while

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

RVT posted:

What's the thread opinion on R7 vs cbr650r?

My opinion is you think you need fairings but you don't, get an mt07 and spend the difference on tyres and suspension.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
Talking of problems with Aprilias, are their scooters as prone to issues as their bikes? The new SR GT 200 looks cool as gently caress but if it's going to be constantly broken then I'll stick to a Japanese scoot.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Good news, it'll be constantly broken

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Yeah we've worked on a lot of Aprilia scooters, I don't have a high opinion of them. They are stupidly complicated and blow out parts that no other bike does. I think we've seen multiple water pumps gone on Scarabeo 150/200s.

mulligan
Jul 4, 2008

I typed random avatar and this happened.
There’s an Aprilia dealer a few streets away from my house and every time I pass by the KTM brain worms move into a different part of my brain and start rationalizing a Tuono 660, are these … giggling* unreliable ?

mulligan
Jul 4, 2008

And I want the radioactive toddler piss color

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

My Aprilia dealer is also the KTM, Vepsa, and Royal Enfield dealer. It is also 2 blocks away which is good news for my eventual ill-considered purchase.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Toe Rag posted:

My Aprilia dealer is also the KTM, Vepsa, and Royal Enfield dealer. It is also 2 blocks away which is good news for my eventual ill-considered purchase.

Scuderia West owns, Brian there helped me out so much a goddamn decade ago when I was just starting and needed to get all my gear and stuff. They are good people there.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Toe Rag posted:

Is there a learner L on that scooter?

Yeah, 125s can be ridden on an L plate in the UK with just a provisional license (and since the mid 80s on completion of Compulsory Basic Training). You're not allowed a pillion but I don't think that'll be a problem for this bloke because the only person he cares about is already on the front seat.

(This only came in in the 70s so he's a Mod Revivalist which is somehow even sadder than being an original Mod)

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Toe Rag posted:

Service department like a Napoleonic Wars field hospital, jesus.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Was just on the horn with my insurers, they need 1 year worth of no claims before they'll insure me on a rocket 3, so it'll be November till I can get one (assuming no offs till then).

In the interim, I'm getting the itch to get a third bike... Contemplating test riding a speed twin or a street twin...

goddamnedtwisto posted:

ROFLMAO

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

:lol:

Bunch of traumatised mechanics smoking out front, black with engine oil up to their elbows. From within emanate the screams of those unlucky enough to reach the parts counter still sober. Broken CVT housings and roller rockers litter the halls, just left to lay where they fell. Huge pit out the back rapidly being filled with dead 390's, irrecoverable from from minor drop damage.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Toe Rag posted:

I like to imagine the Vepsa is a Latvian copy of a Vespa from 1972. Not built under license. You will scoot stylishly on the revolutionary Vepsa, Comrade.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Check out the brands covered by Colchester Kawasaki: Kawasaki, Aprilia, Moto Guzzi, Piaggio, Vespa, Mutt, Royal Enfield, Benelli, Sym and Keeway.

mulligan
Jul 4, 2008

goddamnedtwisto posted:

:laugh:

I took a dewormer and have now switched to wanting an XSR700 or SV650X (with a Corbin seat). The dewormer was a friend canceling the next group ride because his 660 just lost all oil pressure and it's making (to quote him) "hissing noises, like the sound an angry snake makes "....

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Welcome back from the brink, friend

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Tell me what bike to buy: Service department like a Napoleonic Wars field hospital

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

TheBacon posted:

Tell me what bike to buy: Service department like a Napoleonic Wars field hospital

:emptyquote:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Lungboy posted:

Check out the brands covered by Colchester Kawasaki: Kawasaki, Aprilia, Moto Guzzi, Piaggio, Vespa, Mutt, Royal Enfield, Benelli, Sym and Keeway.

So that's kawasaki, piaggio, enfield, and china

mulligan posted:

I took a dewormer and have now switched to wanting an XSR700 or SV650X (with a Corbin seat). The dewormer was a friend canceling the next group ride because his 660 just lost all oil pressure and it's making (to quote him) "hissing noises, like the sound an angry snake makes "....

You've traded hideous reliability for hideous appearance. A step in the right direction!

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

mulligan posted:

Are you the person who can't get higher displacement stuff because some silly Canada thing?

How about a kawasaki z650rs if you're looking for a retro ish look? Green and gold color looks dope. Only new though.

https://www.kawasaki.com/en-us/motorcycle/z/retro-sport/z650rs/2022-z650rs?cm_re=MPP-_-Z650RS:MODELS-_-VIEWSPECSDETAILS

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

goddamnedtwisto posted:

a Mod Revivalist which is somehow even sadder than being an original Mod

So this is extremely tangential but the latest Star Wars TV show is about Boba Fett, the badass bounty hunter, trying to set up as a crime lord (except all that badass reputation is based on like three minutes of the original movies and it turns out in the current continuity he's kind of a big softie).

Anyway Boba Fett hires a street gang that's a bunch of dumbass cyborg kids, and they're loving mods. Like, they all ride hoverbikes, but they're built like Vespas with shitloads of mirrors and lights.

At one point they get into the slowest car chase I've ever seen, outside of OJ Simpson, or maybe that time Austin Powers chased somebody on a cargo transporter and got stuck sideways in a hall.

mulligan
Jul 4, 2008

Russian Bear posted:

Are you the person who can't get higher displacement stuff because some silly Canada thing?

How about a kawasaki z650rs if you're looking for a retro ish look? Green and gold color looks dope. Only new though.

https://www.kawasaki.com/en-us/motorcycle/z/retro-sport/z650rs/2022-z650rs?cm_re=MPP-_-Z650RS:MODELS-_-VIEWSPECSDETAILS

If by silly you mean insurance? Yeah, I mean wtf Canada? Is everyone here in Toronto a madmax extra?

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Phy posted:

So this is extremely tangential but the latest Star Wars TV show is about Boba Fett, the badass bounty hunter, trying to set up as a crime lord (except all that badass reputation is based on like three minutes of the original movies and it turns out in the current continuity he's kind of a big softie).

Anyway Boba Fett hires a street gang that's a bunch of dumbass cyborg kids, and they're loving mods. Like, they all ride hoverbikes, but they're built like Vespas with shitloads of mirrors and lights.

At one point they get into the slowest car chase I've ever seen, outside of OJ Simpson, or maybe that time Austin Powers chased somebody on a cargo transporter and got stuck sideways in a hall.

That whole episode was weak to begin with but the chase was just crap. I did get a good giggle out of the blue scooter.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Russian Bear posted:

That was me, I'm in BC which has weird insurance. But it turns out the pricing tier difference isn't as extreme as I was led to believe.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

mulligan posted:

If by silly you mean insurance? Yeah, I mean wtf Canada? Is everyone here in Toronto a madmax extra?

Not you! So you could look at 900RS if you want to find slightly older model years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mulligan
Jul 4, 2008

Russian Bear posted:

Not you! So you could look at 900RS if you want to find slightly older model years.

I think I'll stop dreaming and just get whatever the weird Canadian insurance rates deem I can have... I mean, the rates here in Toronto are insane!