Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: dead gay comedy forums)

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

some rando american in the comments: “OH MY GOD THAT ISN’T EVEN ENOUGH FOR ONE WEEK!!!”

jfc, who eats more than 2.5 kgs of meat in a single week?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Alchemist
Dec 12, 2010
Food rations bad. Anyway, wheres my monthly Trump Box at?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

The Alchemist posted:

The multiplier doesnt tell much if we dont know the original price, and how it compares with salaries of the time. But it seems like a good way to fight food shortage during famine at least. It wouldnt be lucrative to buy more than you eat and sell it in the black market, if the price gap between the rationed and extra amount is high enough

well it didn’t compare well because the polish people’s republic had 2 years of martial law from the discontent over the mismatch between wages and food prices

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Comrade Koba posted:

some rando american in the comments: “OH MY GOD THAT ISN’T EVEN ENOUGH FOR ONE WEEK!!!”

jfc, who eats more than 2.5 kgs of meat in a single week?

American ham planets view food as a drug, and if you can't get the meat sweats every night are you even living, man?

For real, humans are descended from omnivorous scavenger apes, we really need very little to survive. I myself get fat eating 2200 calories of homecooked food, I have to drop down to 1700 or 1600 to lose meaningful weight. It sucks.

Anyway, love to see that the horrors of Communism seem absolutely charitable to a 21st century American.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

fart simpson posted:

thats about as much sugar as i use in an entire year, lol

That sugar can get converted into rotgut booze pretty easily if some fruit was added.

The Alchemist
Dec 12, 2010

Raskolnikov38 posted:

well it didn’t compare well because the polish people’s republic had 2 years of martial law from the discontent over the mismatch between wages and food prices

Not that simple, there were also nazi insurgents etc. It was a classic J-curve, things had been improving at steady pace for so long, then things took a small step back and people lost their marbles.

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

https://twitter.com/IgorInSteeltown/status/1483091562758393869?t=TulfiSCaC7WXmaGhz2t6eQ&s=19

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

https://twitter.com/polishXcellence/status/1483463971743088647?s=20

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
lol they also made it more faded and blue

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Saw this on the timeline and thought someone had launched a campaign against BrutalistMcDonalds
https://twitter.com/DamUpBucees/status/1483095171835256833?s=20

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
BMD seem(ed) like one of the good ones to me

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Atrocious Joe posted:

Saw this on the timeline and thought someone had launched a campaign against BrutalistMcDonalds
nah i'm not a mod anymore so that doesn't really happen these days

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

This is a really good thread. OP contextualizes conditions in communist Poland with their need to rebuild from WW2. Even directly compares Soviet development aid to all the subsidies Poland gets from EU because Germany doesn't want a failed state on its border.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
One issue ironically enough was that Poland was significantly indebted to the West at the time (to both the IMF and Paris Club) and part of the stress on Poland (but also Hungary/Romania) was about debt repayments/interest which in turn were causing supply issues as governments quickly became strapped for cash.

It is a bit of a hidden history of the Cold War that the West was already getting an economic hold on Eastern Europe by the mid 1970s.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

This is a cool rear end thread. Especially bit about poland pre ww2.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

lmao he's a good troll

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Where's the troll

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

It's not even wrong.

LittleBlackCloud
Mar 5, 2007
xXI love Plum JuiceXx
Stalin was a strong man of color

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/bidetmarxman/status/1483599041413869571?t=syUP-RgDHwtMzO1wTRaW8A&s=19

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

It's not even wrong.

Yeah, Stalin couldn't be a tankie! He died before the Hungary Revolution! how could he have an opinion on the Soviet response! the term is stupid! gently caress!!

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Isn't Pipes the guy who used his wife's Amazon account to post long tirades on his colleagues' books? lol

Nevermind, I confused him with Orlando Figes.

MeatwadIsGod has issued a correction as of 13:28 on Jan 20, 2022

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Isn't Pipes the guy who used his wife's Amazon account to post long tirades on his colleagues' books? lol

Nevermind, I confused him with Orlando Figes.

Pipes is the one who never let facts get in the way of anticommunism and thought every historian younger than him was corrupted by Marxism because they had done archival research, so he published entire books that never bothered to cite any of the growing volumes of research that conclusively disproved his own ideas. These days Pipes is no longer with us but his son keeps the tradition going by never letting facts get in the way of Islamophobia.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

vyelkin posted:

Pipes is the one who never let facts get in the way of anticommunism and thought every historian younger than him was corrupted by Marxism because they had done archival research, so he published entire books that never bothered to cite any of the growing volumes of research that conclusively disproved his own ideas. These days Pipes is no longer with us but his son keeps the tradition going by never letting facts get in the way of Islamophobia.

I love the fail children of historians who clearly got lectured about the brilliance of their parent's work for decades when they were young and have seemingly no job other than to keep pushing their father/mother's research. What a life.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
dick pipes lol

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

Dick pipes getting his Pipe crimped in hell lmao

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://www.prm.ox.ac.uk/event/tito-in-africa

Enjoy some cool pictures of the marshal.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/EoghanGilmartin/status/1484635731125489664?t=aojPnNVjerOLD__yX6kKAQ&s=19

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?

i hope she remembers what he got wrong by not being hardline enough

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Dreylad posted:

I love the fail children of historians who clearly got lectured about the brilliance of their parent's work for decades when they were young and have seemingly no job other than to keep pushing their father/mother's research. What a life.

Christian Parenti has wrote some decent stuff of his own like Tropic of Chaos

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
lol

https://forums.somethingawful.com/dictionary.php?act=3&topicid=2785

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
did you edit or did i fuckup logging in and it did a random selection because it sent me to this lmfao

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

it’s you

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

maybe

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

yours is about “fojar’s law” and galactic acid’s is about brown moses

Mafic Rhyolite
Nov 7, 2020

by Hand Knit
Has anyone come up with a new symbol as good as the hammer and sickle was a hundred years ago? It was a banger when it dropped but nobody knows what the gently caress a sickle even is anymore and you can't really put modern farming equipment on a flag.

How do you represent solidarity between different sectors of the working class nowadays?

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

dickpipes’ son is somehow even worse imo. i did enjoy reading russia under the old regime by his daddy at school for the details on Novgorod and stuff.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Mafic Rhyolite posted:

Has anyone come up with a new symbol as good as the hammer and sickle was a hundred years ago? It was a banger when it dropped but nobody knows what the gently caress a sickle even is anymore and you can't really put modern farming equipment on a flag.

How do you represent solidarity between different sectors of the working class nowadays?

Name tag and hardhat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Mafic Rhyolite posted:

non but this is a good read on that topic, even if Hatherley is an unapologetic social democrat https://theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/feb/12/hammer-and-sickle-french-communist-party

from 2013 so i’m sure some is outdated