Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Data Graham posted:

So someone just mashed the keyboard?

It's BaT, joke bids are very common leading up to the last day or few hours. You'll see a lot of auctions with a starting bid the same as the year of production, model number or for Porsches $XX,911.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

There was a low mileage E46 M3 that went for $90k+ on BaT a couple months back. I've been looking to buy a "reasonable" E36 and the auction prices these days can't be taken seriously.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2005-bmw-m3-coupe-78/

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Ya and a low miles 1 series M around the same time also went $90k+

That bid isn’t too much higher than the previous so it’s probably legit and the “joke” type mentioned ya. Also didn’t EAG have a low mile one like that a year or two ago for like $175k? Wouldn’t be crazy shocked if this did something dumb like $150k but that’s a lot to go still

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
The guy who sold me my E92 at 16k miles keeps trying to buy it back from me (he's the same guy who last year bought a new GT4, a 2k-miles Miata 30th Anniversary, a 7k-miles M4 GTS and a 11k-miles 991 GTS) and I won't be surprised at all when he tells me he spent $120k on an E46 M3.

EvilBlackRailgun
Jan 28, 2007

If I had to buy one BMW right now as a long-term collectable it would be an E46 CSL

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

EvilBlackRailgun posted:

If I had to buy one BMW right now as a long-term collectable it would be an E46 CSL

E90 M3 CRT. To be fair those were long term collectibles when they were made and they didn’t come to America naturally. :911:

Otherwise a frozen edition E92 or lime rock park with the lowest miles I could find.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

An e46 with an ls and full cage. The true collectors dream. Wow

Diametunim
Oct 26, 2010

Bape Culture posted:

An e46 with an ls and full cage. The true collectors dream. Wow

I'll give you six figures of my parents money right now.

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL
Hi thread! I don't know much about cars. What's the expected reliability on a 2013 328i xdrive with 80,000 miles? I work from home, so this would be low mileage. Is this the kind of car that will be in the shop a lot despite putting less than 5,000 miles a year on it? Any major mile stones to look out for? Time chain/water pump?

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

I have a 2010 and bought it with 89k miles. I've owned it 2.5 years and put 15k on it. I've had constant problems, but it really depends on the car. You need to get a really good PPI. Where are you located?

You'll want to make sure the water pump and thermostat have been replaced. The N52 motor is also susceptible to valve cover gasket and oil pan gasket failure. The AC compressor tends to go around that mileage and it can be extremely expensive to fix.

Since it's an xDrive I would also make sure the transfer case fluid's been changed. That one is pretty cheap if it hasn't been done.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Jan 21, 2022

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

th3t00t posted:

Hi thread! I don't know much about cars. What's the expected reliability on a 2013 328i xdrive with 80,000 miles? I work from home, so this would be low mileage. Is this the kind of car that will be in the shop a lot despite putting less than 5,000 miles a year on it? Any major mile stones to look out for? Time chain/water pump?

I have a 2013 135i and I've spent on average about $2000/year on maintenance/repair costs driving around 6k miles a year. I also have a warranty from CarMax that has paid out a roughly $7500 over the last 3 years. I've needed the expansion tank replaced once, the oil filter housing gaskets replaced three times, an idler tensioner pulley replaced, the water pump replaced once, tie rods replaced and a strut. Only the water pump failure left me stranded but I have had the car in the shop once every 6 months on average

If you're not going to do anything of the work yourself I would look at budgeting $3-4k a year for upkeep, it's an almost 10 year old BMW at this point.

e: forgot about the valve cover gasket, I had to have the whole cover replaced too

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

The one difference is that the N54 in the 135 is notorious for being one of the most problematic engines BMW ever made. The 328's N52, on the other hand, is a lot more reliable. No turbo failure, HPFP strandings, walnut blastings, etc.

That being said, I would still budget 2500 a year for repairs and maintenance.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

I have a 2010 and bought it with 89k miles. I've owned it 2.5 years and put 15k on it. I've had constant problems, but it really depends on the car. You need to get a really good PPI. Where are you located?

You'll want to make sure the water pump and thermostat have been replaced. The N52 motor is also susceptible to valve cover gasket and oil pan gasket failure. The AC compressor tends to go around that mileage and it can be extremely expensive to fix.

Since it's an xDrive I would also make sure the transfer case fluid's been changed. That one is pretty cheap if it hasn't been done.

Needs to specify coupe/convertible or sedan/wagon, 2013 was F series for 4 door cars with the N20 in 328i spec and timing chain guide issues I believe

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Oh yeah, a very good point, I was assuming E92. The gentleman's choice.

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

TheBacon posted:

Needs to specify coupe/convertible or sedan/wagon, 2013 was F series for 4 door cars with the N20 in 328i spec and timing chain guide issues I believe
It's a sedan.

Looks like the N20 is notorious for the timing chain blowing up without warning. For the price this car is listed at I'm guessing the parts haven't been replaced yet with the non-faulty version.

It's for sale by a huge non-bwm dealership. I'm guessing I should insist on a PPI by a bmw dealer?

th3t00t fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Jan 21, 2022

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
unless you really, really love the car for some reason I'd stay away

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Yeah there are a lot of weirdos like me ITT who are willing to sink large proportions of their disposable income and time into car ownership, but it's not at all for everyone.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Yeah personally I'd just stay the hell away from any N20-powered car.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

The one difference is that the N54 in the 135 is notorious for being one of the most problematic engines BMW ever made. The 328's N52, on the other hand, is a lot more reliable. No turbo failure, HPFP strandings, walnut blastings, etc.

That being said, I would still budget 2500 a year for repairs and maintenance.

By 2013 BMW moved to the N55 which eliminated a lot of that stuff, plus none of my problems were turbo specific so they would apply equally to a N52 based car

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Yeah there are a lot of weirdos like me ITT who are willing to sink large proportions of their disposable income and time into car ownership, but it's not at all for everyone.

Same and ya, I don't think that car is anything at all to wade into unless you were REALLY jazzed about the platform specifically

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

for real, i'm the same way, but like you gotta LOVE the car for this to be at all worthwhile

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL
Thanks for the input goons. I will not be getting this bmw.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

th3t00t posted:

Another BMW Thread success story!

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

th3t00t posted:

The only bmw worth having has an M in the model name and is followed by a letter. The engine codes start with ‘S’. S14/50/52/54/65/55/58 etc.

I drive mine 3-5k miles a year. It’s been excellent minus the air conditioning thing I needed to replace. I get it serviced by the dealership to maintain value. I use expensive tires that last ~12k miles. I’ve owned it five years. It’s now 11 almost 12 years old.

It’s absolutely worth it. If it was my only car it would be very expensive.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Somewhat Heroic posted:

The only bmw worth having has an M in the model name and is followed by a letter. The engine codes start with ‘S’. S14/50/52/54/65/55/58 etc.

I drive mine 3-5k miles a year. It’s been excellent minus the air conditioning thing I needed to replace. I get it serviced by the dealership to maintain value. I use expensive tires that last ~12k miles. I’ve owned it five years. It’s now 11 almost 12 years old.

It’s absolutely worth it. If it was my only car it would be very expensive.

I literally cannot think of a BMW past or present that has the letter m immediately followed by another letter. They are always followed by a number (or nothing).

Edit to be less obtuse because I know what you meant to say but I still want to prove you wrong - the original F87 M2 had the N55 and is very worth having. I know this because I spent 2.5 weeks in an F23 M240i and it was extremely good and fun so the full M version can only be better.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Jan 22, 2022

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

If we want to talk N engine M cars, 1 series M is better than n55 M2

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Haven't driven it but that just kind of furthers the point. Modern BMW engines in general are crazy good.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

its more that the cars built around the engines have been getting progressively worse

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

KillHour posted:

I literally cannot think of a BMW past or present that has the letter m immediately followed by another letter. They are always followed by a number (or nothing).

Edit to be less obtuse because I know what you meant to say but I still want to prove you wrong - the original F87 M2 had the N55 and is very worth having. I know this because I spent 2.5 weeks in an F23 M240i and it was extremely good and fun so the full M version can only be better.

That’s what I get for :justpost:ing on a Friday night.

I’m very biased sure; and new engines are good. I don’t think Toyota would put their namesake halo car with the a bmw powertrain/chassis if it was garbage.

I am saying if there’s a full blown M version it’s worth it. History shows they hold value better too.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Somewhat Heroic posted:

That’s what I get for :justpost:ing on a Friday night.

I’m very biased sure; and new engines are good. I don’t think Toyota would put their namesake halo car with the a bmw powertrain/chassis if it was garbage.

I am saying if there’s a full blown M version it’s worth it. History shows they hold value better too.

I mean, yeah. There's a reason I have one. It's to piss off Bape Culture. I spent 90k on a troll.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Talked my wife into a Z8 as a daily driver

Am I a bad person

Or just living the dream

Poll to follow

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

I've just never been a big fan of the way the Z8 looks, especially for the 200-250k they sell for these days. That's one hell of a daily though.

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

rscott posted:

By 2013 BMW moved to the N55 which eliminated a lot of that stuff, plus none of my problems were turbo specific so they would apply equally to a N52 based car

It was earlier than that. The LCI E90 335i had an N55.

The 335is for some reason was sold for a while longer with the N54 and the DCT as an option.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Hadlock posted:

Talked my wife into a Z8 as a daily driver

Am I a bad person

Or just living the dream

Poll to follow

Have you won the lottery?

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

TheBacon posted:

If we want to talk N engine M cars, 1 series M is better than n55 M2

When I drove one when they first came out, I was massively, enormously underwhelmed by the M2. Sorry to the M2 owners out there but it's probably the worst proper M-car (excluding SUVs and M-sport poo poo) ever made. Which is sad, because the M2 should be the best, unquestionably.

thealphabetsez
Jun 1, 2004

kronix posted:

It was earlier than that. The LCI E90 335i had an N55.

The 335is for some reason was sold for a while longer with the N54 and the DCT as an option.

My 2010 LCI E90 335 M sport sported an N54 :agesilaus:

That being said, I bought it new and had it flatbed towed twice in the first 3000 miles. Didn’t really learn much as the current daily remains a similarly N54-powered 2010 E61 M sport w/ AWD :fivecbux: It rocked on our recent trip from Portland, Or to Leavenworth, Wa though, thoroughly.

thealphabetsez fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Jan 23, 2022

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

thealphabetsez posted:

My 2010 LCI E90 335 M sport sported an N54 :agesilaus:

That being said, I bought it new and had it flatbed towed twice in the first 3000 miles. Didn’t really learn much as the current daily remains a similarly N54-powered 2010 E61 M sport w/ AWD :fivecbux: It rocked on our recent trip from Portland, Or to Leavenworth, Wa though, thoroughly.

This owns, tell me more about ur dope wagon (is it a stick???)

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

MrChips posted:

When I drove one when they first came out, I was massively, enormously underwhelmed by the M2. Sorry to the M2 owners out there but it's probably the worst proper M-car (excluding SUVs and M-sport poo poo) ever made. Which is sad, because the M2 should be the best, unquestionably.

I don’t agree but I can see why someone might find the N55 M2 slightly underwhelming but the M2C is stupidly fun.

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?
I have an N56 M2 and I love it and have already curbed the rims and repaired them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

kronix posted:

I don’t agree but I can see why someone might find the N55 M2 slightly underwhelming but the M2C is stupidly fun.

M2C is a totally different beast from the OG M2 though, and from what I gather it fixes a lot of the issues I didn't like.