Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chloe Jessica
Nov 6, 2021
Pick 2.0

Morpheus posted:

Yeah that's what I thought too but that point is kinda invalidated when 4/5ths of your gametime is spent on it. it's why I'm annoyed, I want far less card game and way more other stuff, literally anything else

fair point. it's the meat of the game regardless of whether it's the point or not, and if it doesn't engage you the metaplot isn't going to save it.

personally i really enjoyed it, but i also have like two hundred hours in Binding of Isaac so maybe i just enjoy repetitive grindy stuff of this sort

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
isnt this such a problem in videogames that it even has its own name, bullshot?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
that’s more like advertisement that’s misleading in terms of graphical fidelity. you don’t often get ads or trailers that mislead the game’s entire premise

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

Karma Tornado posted:

Ghost of Tsushima not letting me skip dialogue or cutscenes is just the pits.

there's like seven hours of bad movie you can't skip in this swordfighting game and ten hours of that is guys saying either "honor" or "without" or both, I just want to sword fight, is there a game that has similar combat but shuts the gently caress up? is that what Sekiro is?

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
I want to complain about all these games I'm seeing labeled as "isometric". Many of them are 3D, which that alone is entirely disqualifying of that label. Most 2D games that have the isometric label are absolutely not isometric, either.

But I guess that's how language evolves. If enough people make mistakes, eventually it just becomes the new definition. But it loving infuriates me. Maybe irrationally so :\

And I also don't like it when games have a "turn-based" label but what they really mean is that you can pause it. Nobody loving looks up "turn-based combat" seeking real-time-with-pause.

credburn has a new favorite as of 02:35 on Jan 23, 2022

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
does that mean actual turn based games are teal time games with hard pauses?

chess the old school real time strat game with pauses. (also if both players sit at 45 degree angles, its isometric)

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

credburn posted:

I want to complain about all these games I'm seeing labeled as "isometric". Many of them are 3D, which that alone is entirely disqualifying of that label. Most 2D games that have the isometric label are absolutely not isometric, either.

But I guess that's how language evolves. If enough people make mistakes, eventually it just becomes the new definition. But it loving infuriates me. Maybe irrationally so :\

And I also don't like it when games have a "turn-based" label but what they really mean is that you can pause it. Nobody loving looks up "turn-based combat" seeking real-time-with-pause.

Tim Cain has complained before about people calling the original Fallout games isometric. "They're cavalier oblique!"

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames
hillary clinton's running mate?

Skulker
Jan 27, 2021

Duuuuuude!

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Inscription really put people off for the fact that the gameplay advertised is from the first act of the game.

Aside from Brutal Legend, which was always meant to be a mediocre RTS, and MGS2, which deliberately obfuscated the main characters role, what are games where the core of the experience is not reflected in the advertising?

I've whined about this before, but BABA IS YOU was advertised as "wacky lateral thinking reality-bending puzzles" when actually it's 95% "sliding block puzzle with incredibly specific solution".

Barudak
May 7, 2007

For Disco Elysium, not having enough bonuses to make the mandatory shivers check is not hard, all of my friends who went on to play it had similar issues. Its good they added a back up strat but its so poorly communicated it took me a lot of searching to find out it exists and all the strategy guides either don't know or were written before.

Unfortunately I don't have a save back there but that seems to also require a character who I had gotten to vanish from the world so not entirely sure how that would work either.

muscles like this! posted:

In the game Nobody Saves the World you have two kinds of ways to gain levels, regular XP which just raises stats and FP (Form Points) which levels up your different shapes that gives them more abilities and lets you unlock new shapes. Which is why it is weird that when you do major story dungeons the game locks you out of gaining FP.

I had the same thought as you but I think its the devs attempt to encourage you to not feel locked into a specific form in a dungeon and switch up what you are using. The problem is you'd don't really have a reason to ever swap like that, if you have a form that works its not going to suddenly stop working halfway in.

You can also end up with broke brains like me and then put off the second set of story dungeons until you've 100% the FP growth so its not an issue.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Karma Tornado posted:

there's like seven hours of bad movie you can't skip in this swordfighting game and ten hours of that is guys saying either "honor" or "without" or both, I just want to sword fight, is there a game that has similar combat but shuts the gently caress up? is that what Sekiro is?

Yes, though Sekiro is both way more tactile and way harder than Tsushima. I haven't played Tsushima but I doubt the combat is thaaaaat similar. Sekiro is more about learning how to parry/deflect attacks, getting your own hits in when the opportunity presents itself, and keeping up the pressure on your enemies until you knock them off balance enough for a deathblow. Think Bushido Blade perfected, then crossed with Tenchu. It's an incredible game that I'd recommend to anyone into phenomenal action games but it may take a while for the combat to really click. But yeah if you want badass sword fighting where every fight ends up organically looking like something out of a movie, that's your best bet

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

credburn posted:

I feel the same way about "ambivalent," which many people simply use to mean "apathetic." That's not what it means! We have like two dozen words to describe apathy and really only one that means strong feelings in opposition, so I feel as if something really cool is being lost.

About isometric though... I've used that word to describe any 3/4 view game without ever really examining what it actually is. Probably will continue to do so.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

2house2fly posted:

Tim Cain has complained before about people calling the original Fallout games isometric. "They're cavalier oblique!"

Oh man, the pedant I was in the year I pursued architecture as a viable / not completely fantastical career choice would have loved this poo poo

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Karma Tornado posted:

You know how in Dark Souls 1 you'll be wandering round the Undead Burg and you'll suddenly find Havel, a unique and distinctive enemy who doesn't have an intro cutscene and just immediately flattens you? That's Sekiro. It has some cutscenes and stuff for stoey bosses, but 90%of the game is badass minibosses just organically placed in the game world. It owns.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Shin Megami Tensei V has a weird sort of faux-open world setup, that mostly works pretty well; every area is essentially a linear progression that's obfuscated with side areas and map-blocking boss figures, to the point that you won't necessarily read the zone you're going through as linear until you've cleared most of it. Basically, dungeons wearing open world cosplay.

...and it turns out they were right to do that, because the final area is an actual nonlinear open world, and oh god it sucks so much. Since they want to make the whole thing challenging no matter the order you hit things, every single part of the area has demons that are like, 10+ levels above where you are when you get there, and who rip you to shreds way too easily for you to safely level up to fight them.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 16:12 on Jan 23, 2022

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I've started playing the FF7 Remake, just got past the Air Buster, and it seems to not have any faith in it's opening act. It keeps flashing forwards to future events or reveals, which is fine when it's stuff like Cloud having a PTSD flashback about Nibelheim but then when Cloud gets formerly introduced to Aerith they immediately show him reacting to her and having visions of her death which is completely unneeded and doesn't fit the "Cloud is having visions of the past due to trauma" idea that the rest of the game had.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

BioEnchanted posted:

I've started playing the FF7 Remake, just got past the Air Buster, and it seems to not have any faith in it's opening act. It keeps flashing forwards to future events or reveals, which is fine when it's stuff like Cloud having a PTSD flashback about Nibelheim but then when Cloud gets formerly introduced to Aerith they immediately show him reacting to her and having visions of her death which is completely unneeded and doesn't fit the "Cloud is having visions of the past due to trauma" idea that the rest of the game had.

cloud having "flashbacks" to events that haven't happened yet is significant

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Oxxidation posted:

cloud having "flashbacks" to events that haven't happened yet is significant

I figured that but in the moment it still feels like a decision that came out of "Being afraid that midgar alone wouldn't be interesting enough, so having to make something up to show the most popular/remembered events early"

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 16:33 on Jan 23, 2022

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

BioEnchanted posted:

I figured that but in the moment it still feels like a decision that came out of "Being afraid that midgar alone wouldn't be interesting enough, so having to make something up to show the most popular/remembered events early"

not to me it didn't. by the time you reach aerith it's already clear that something screwy is happening with canon in the remake, so cloud zapping forward to the most pivotal moment in the original story just reinforced that further

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Oxxidation posted:

not to me it didn't. by the time you reach aerith it's already clear that something screwy is happening with canon in the remake, so cloud zapping forward to the most pivotal moment in the original story just reinforced that further

I think part of what I take umbrage with is as the original game was presented, it made you make certain assumptions that were one by one stripped as you went through the game - Shinra is the main villain then the massacre happens and the new assumption is "oh no some weird swordsman that's been namedropped a bunch showed up and killed everyone and now we are chasing them around the world", when by the end it becomes clear that Sephiroth didn't do ANYTHING after Nibelheim destroying Nibelheim, Jenova broke out of her own storage tank and impaled President Shinra, he didn't even kill Aeris as he was trapped in a crystal drinking lifestream the entire game, that was Jenova too.. Although I get that the new game is doing something different, so I'll have to wait and see how it plays out before I know which approach I prefer. It's just so many of the FF7 modern canon entries has been unable to stop itself just shoving Sephiroth in willy nilly as fanservice that it's easy to assume they are just doing it in bad faith like they did for a while.

An actual problem with the new game though is some areas feel underdeveloped, like under the Sector 4 Plate where the slums are so clearly a JPEG and it really stands out and looks unconvincing.

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 16:53 on Jan 23, 2022

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Oxxidation posted:

that’s more like advertisement that’s misleading in terms of graphical fidelity. you don’t often get ads or trailers that mislead the game’s entire premise

I saw a video recently that was just 90s video game ads and one was basically "Consider this painting in the Louvre; now consider this childlike drawing that wouldn't even be on a fridge. Buy Dragon Quest." Just complete non-sequitur.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

BioEnchanted posted:

I think part of what I take umbrage with is as the original game was presented, it made you make certain assumptions that were one by one stripped as you went through the game - Shinra is the main villain then the massacre happens and the new assumption is "oh no some weird swordsman that's been namedropped a bunch showed up and killed everyone and now we are chasing them around the world", when by the end it becomes clear that Sephiroth didn't do ANYTHING after Nibelheim destroying Nibelheim, Jenova broke out of her own storage tank and impaled President Shinra, he didn't even kill Aeris as he was trapped in a crystal drinking lifestream the entire game, that was Jenova too..

all of this is also incorrect. when sephiroth fell into the lifestream with jenova's head they became a gestalt entity with sephiroth's will controlling jenova's powers and jenova's parasitic nature corrupting sephiroth's original motivations. sephiroth is still the "brain" of the operation, remote-piloting jenova's body and fragments from the northern crater (hence why he acts dismissive of cloud while also deliberately torturing him in the city of the ancients and the crater - despite the pretense, he remembers exactly who cloud is and despises him for impaling sephiroth at his moment of triumph), but his new plan to usurp the planet's lifeforce for some kind of transcendence is based in jenova's appetites. in an environmentalist story like FF7, they're literally the worst of both worlds - one half is a living, ravenous extinction event from beyond the planet's ecosystem, the other is the pinnacle of humanity's twisted ingenuity and unethical science

the over-focus on sephiroth in FF7R is to the game's detriment, but as you might have guessed by now, that's because he's not quite the same as he was in the original

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

Glad we're on the topic of the remake because I just started it too. How the gently caress do you put so much time and money and care into the presentation of a game and come out with dialogue this bad? It's not 100% of the time but the writing is so awkward and it feels like none of the (genuinely talented) English voice actors were ever in the same room. That and everything is punctuated with weird, annoying anime grunts and gasps to an extent I've never seen before, even in actual anime. I'm really close to just flipping it to Japanese audio.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

FF7R should have been called literally anything other than Remake. It's a sequel, and not even a good one at that!

PhazonLink posted:

isnt this such a problem in videogames that it even has its own name, bullshot?

https://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2005/09/12/potent-new-lingo

Goddamn how was this seventeen years ago? What even is time?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Oxxidation posted:

all of this is also incorrect. when sephiroth fell into the lifestream with jenova's head they became a gestalt entity with sephiroth's will controlling jenova's powers and jenova's parasitic nature corrupting sephiroth's original motivations. sephiroth is still the "brain" of the operation, remote-piloting jenova's body and fragments from the northern crater (hence why he acts dismissive of cloud while also deliberately torturing him in the city of the ancients and the crater - despite the pretense, he remembers exactly who cloud is and despises him for impaling sephiroth at his moment of triumph), but his new plan to usurp the planet's lifeforce for some kind of transcendence is based in jenova's appetites. in an environmentalist story like FF7, they're literally the worst of both worlds - one half is a living, ravenous extinction event from beyond the planet's ecosystem, the other is the pinnacle of humanity's twisted ingenuity and unethical science

the over-focus on sephiroth in FF7R is to the game's detriment, but as you might have guessed by now, that's because he's not quite the same as he was in the original

Ah, I completely misremembered then. Whoops, it's been years since I played the original.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

BioEnchanted posted:

Ah, I completely misremembered then. Whoops, it's been years since I played the original.

you're certainly not alone there v:v:v

"jenova was behind everything" was a line touted by a lot of people who had last played the game five, six years ago and wanted to act like taciturn white-haired guys with enormous swords had become passe, so it stuck around

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Oxxidation posted:

you're certainly not alone there v:v:v

"jenova was behind everything" was a line touted by a lot of people who had last played the game five, six years ago and wanted to act like taciturn white-haired guys with enormous swords had become passe, so it stuck around

The sidequests remind me a lot of Lightning Returns, which makes sense because Lightning is just cloud with boobs. I think it's partially the writing, partially the structure, also it seems to be the same base engine, or at least a modified version of it.

Also the Shinra executives literally act like Megamind, they project themselves in the exact same way with swarms of robots and make similarly grandiose speeches. I'm not complaining here, I liked Lightning Returns and find the Megamind thing funny.

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 19:35 on Jan 23, 2022

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

BioEnchanted posted:

The sidequests remind me a lot of Lightning Returns, which makes sense because Lightning is just cloud with boobs. I think it's partially the writing, partially the structure, also it seems to be the same base engine, or at least a modified version of it.

Also the Shinra executives literally act like Megamind, they project themselves in the exact same way with swarms of robots and make similarly grandiose speeches. I'm not complaining here, I liked Lightning Returns and find the Megamind thing funny.

Lightning is not much just Cloud with boobs. She's much meaner and a total facist complete with "I'm okay with it happening to other people until it effects Meeeee!"

Like I've played all three XIII games and that's really what I got. She doesn't really have a character arc at all. Mean in FFXIII. Mean in Lightning Returns.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

BioEnchanted posted:

Lightning is just cloud with boobs

Technically it's called "mammatus"

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Vandar posted:

FF7R should have been called literally anything other than Remake. It's a sequel, and not even a good one at that!

https://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2005/09/12/potent-new-lingo

Goddamn how was this seventeen years ago? What even is time?

quote:

re·make
verb
/rēˈmāk/

make (something) again or differently.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I gather the plot involves someone time traveling to change the events of the original game, so the title being Remake isn't just saying "this is a remake" but is a description of the story

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...
It's not dragging it down too far, but I think the way the stances are unlocked in Ghost of Tsushima teach some bad habits to new players.

Since you only start with one stance, strong against one of 4 enemy types, parrying is a much faster and more versatile way of fighting, since it works against 3 out of 4 types, and the one type it doesn't work on, your stance doesn't either. Actually, that one enemy type you can't parry, the Brute, is the last style you'll unlock, after 20-25% of the game (I mean, you can min-max by spying on every Mongol leader you can before killing them and/or finding all the camps in Act 1, but regular people will probably be close to Act 2 when they unlock the Moon stance), so you'll probably fight your way through most of Act 1 thinking that switching style is way more cumbersome than just baiting attacks and parrying. You're also very likely to unlock perfect parries before your 3rd stance, which really hammers in the fact that parries are more powerful than using the proper stances.

They also get WAY better once you spend a few skill points in them, but it's a bit hard to justify if you started out not using them in the first place.

The game also makes it seem like stances are something that you have to keep changing depending on the kind of enemy that you're facing (sword, shield, pole, big), but the stances only change your heavy attacks and serve mostly to break an enemy's stagger gauge (and also kick people off cliffs), so you don't have to keep switching back and forth every time you switch targets (despite the game stopping to hit you over the head if you attack an enemy in the wrong stance even once...).

I know it's a game design sin to give the player the tools to take on the "big guys" too early, but I feel like unlocking the Moon stance second, or letting you choose the order in which they unlock, would make the stances feel way more useful early on by complementing the parry and giving you tools against all enemy types.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Kingdom Hearts 3 has the worst final boss of any of these stupid games. Why game oh god why. Tedious gimmicky bullshit.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
so many of KH3's bosses consist of bouncing off i-frames, that shiny pling! noise haunts my dreams

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
God of War:

loving dark elf lords. A case of "early game boss that shows up later as a regular enemy," they must be the most annoying enemies in any God of War game. If you try to attack them at range they'll block the axe throws. If you try to run in and attack they'll block the attack and fly away leaving an exploding mine in their place that blinds you for about 10 seconds. Uses the same mines as projectiles at range in groups of three, but shoots them at your feet so you can't even parry them and throw them back. If you parry their melee attacks you're wasting your time since they fly away before you can land your counter hit. Once they get low health, they start using an unblockable dive bomb attack over and over which tends to home in even if you roll away from it and will probably one-shot you if you're playing on Give Me God Of War difficulty. The original boss battle wasn't too bad once you figured out the openings when you could attack him, but every dark elf lord battle comes with adds which make it hard to isolate him and chip away at the health bar.

The hardest battles in the game are Valkyries and I've killed a few of those with less effort than some of the dark elf lord fights. Absolutely groan-inducing bullshit enemy design.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
I just punched those guys and they went down pretty fast to that, but I was only playing on Normal.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Against dark elves Kratos' fists are more effective than the axe since you can very quickly build up stun meter for sync kills. Use the axe to swat those little fuckers down then unload on them with stunboys and punches until you can R3.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I'm just starting Far Cry 6,and I'm not sure how to feel about horseback riding in first-person. I guess the view is how it has to be, but it feels weirdly chaotic and sped-up, which makes staring at the horse head bobbing up and down the whole time just seem goofy. I guess I'm probably never gonna be completely happy with first-person vehicles or animals in games like this.

e: I just remembered one of my few praises for CP2077, switching to third-person for vehicles worked so much better for me, I'd like travel in Far Cry better if it did that.

Captain Hygiene has a new favorite as of 01:41 on Jan 24, 2022

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!
I'd imagine the programmers never rode horses in real life and assume they're just 4 legged cars that handle like poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Far Cry has never had good vehicles so its just keeping tradition