Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Just got an email from my dad's friend: the petroleum engineer who joked about the LEAF being a coal powered car.

quote:

Please don’t share this Emil with your dad. I don’t want to bias him.

I know he is still on the fence about buying Jr's EV (Leaf). If he decides not to buy it, would you please give me a chance to buy it at the price you could get from a 3rd party? I’ve been thinking of buying a limited range EV for use here in the neighborhood.

Dude lives 1200 miles away, LOL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Oh man I'd love to see someone do a 1200 mile trip on a Leaf. I do agree that multiple fast charges will overheat the battery so you have to be aware of that!

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
I was just informed that my employer has secured 7 lightnings and my division will be getting 1 of them… in two years.

Mahatma-Squid
Nov 22, 2004

One of the last true gentlemen left alive . ';,,,,,,,,;'

dissss posted:

Depends on where you're prepared to compromise.

The i3 is tiny inside and constructed in such a way that a parking lot scrape can be the end of the car.

E. The original Ioniq on the other hand is a car I rate over the Leaf - it's just large enough to be practical for children, charges quickly and has CCS.

Have you spent much time in an i3? For the exterior size I find it huge inside, with the caveat that the boot is smaller than I would like. I've had four 6 foot tall adults in mine very comfortably, and it's the only small car I've been in where a rear facing car seat doesn't make the passenger seat unusable for me. It also has good width, you can stretch out a decent amount.

For what it's worth my 2016 REX has been problem free over 2 years except one of the small reverse lights has died and needs replacing. It is of course way more expensive and seems to be a pain in the rear end to replace so I'm putting it off.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Yeah test drove one and it wouldn't comfortably fit the same rear facing seat that works fine in my Leaf and Mazda3.

Mahatma-Squid
Nov 22, 2004

dissss posted:

Yeah test drove one and it wouldn't comfortably fit the same rear facing seat that works fine in my Leaf and Mazda3.

It is kinda a weird shape I guess? For comparison there's way more room in the i3 front seat with the rear facing kid's seat than my wife's old VA WRX. My wife does hate getting our daughter in and out of the seat in the i3 as there isn't a stack of room above the seat. I find it fine though!

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

wtf y'all didn't tell me one pedal driving is the best thing ever. Being able to relax at a red light is wonderful.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Kirios posted:

wtf y'all didn't tell me one pedal driving is the best thing ever. Being able to relax at a red light is wonderful.

You and your fancypants newer-than-2017 LEAF :(

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Well, that's us out of the EV/EV adjacent car buying game for the time being. Just bought a Golf. Anything with the word hybrid in name is going for insane premiums here, and is carrying thousands of dollars of accident repairs. For what we paid for a 2016 Golf, we might be able to get a Prius with twice the mileage, 5 former owners, and $6k worth of insurance claims with no service history. If we could find one at all. It's ridiculous. At least now we have a car that will get my wife to work so she can earn money so we can afford an actual electric in a couple of years when there are some on dealer lots. Or just keep the golf forever.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Finger Prince posted:

Well, that's us out of the EV/EV adjacent car buying game for the time being. Just bought a Golf. Anything with the word hybrid in name is going for insane premiums here, and is carrying thousands of dollars of accident repairs. For what we paid for a 2016 Golf, we might be able to get a Prius with twice the mileage, 5 former owners, and $6k worth of insurance claims with no service history. If we could find one at all. It's ridiculous. At least now we have a car that will get my wife to work so she can earn money so we can afford an actual electric in a couple of years when there are some on dealer lots. Or just keep the golf forever.

Yeah, everything is nuts right now. I hope you continue shitposting with us! Also I would like to see a photo of your Golf!

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

cruft posted:

Yeah, everything is nuts right now. I hope you continue shitposting with us! Also I would like to see a photo of your Golf!

Oh you know I will! This thread has been great for learning all the ins and outs of EV ownership from firsthand experiences, and for shitposting. I'd love to try out an Ioniq 5 when they've got some to try.

moparacker
May 8, 2007

Mahatma-Squid posted:

one of the small reverse lights has died and needs replacing. It is of course way more expensive and seems to be a pain in the rear end to replace so I'm putting it off.

It's cake to take the bumper off and access that light. Just need a 8mm socket, 1/4" ratchet and a T20 screwdriver. The connectors are the same between L/R, so swap them to see if the problem follows if you wanna diag before buying parts.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

One pedal driving is in fact one of the greatest things about owning an EV

I also like never having to get an oil change and never having to go to the gas station, it's hard rating these things as better or worse than one pedal driving because they're so different and good in their own ways

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

QuarkJets posted:

One pedal driving is in fact one of the greatest things about owning an EV

as a three-pedal holdout I find this statement disturbing (but also true, it’s hella boringchill to drive an EV)

Mahatma-Squid
Nov 22, 2004

moparacker posted:

It's cake to take the bumper off and access that light. Just need a 8mm socket, 1/4" ratchet and a T20 screwdriver. The connectors are the same between L/R, so swap them to see if the problem follows if you wanna diag before buying parts.

Oh super rad, thanks for that.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
https://youtu.be/7XuvwkIxrXw

yak ranch

they did this with a Rivian employee’s truck :shepface:

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

On Monday I drive my new Ioniq 5 home

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

fawning deference posted:

On Monday I drive my new Ioniq 5 home

you’ll be posting pics right?

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Definitely. It's cyber gray and gray interior. Not my first color choice but they were very limited in inventory. It was either gray or white.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Who comes up with these paint names?

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

No idea. There is also shooting star gray which is a darker matte. My two top choices for exterior were blue and matte gray. But I like the lighter gray as well.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Kirios posted:

Oh man I'd love to see someone do a 1200 mile trip on a Leaf. I do agree that multiple fast charges will overheat the battery so you have to be aware of that!

In 2016 Finnish car magazine wrote an article about two surfer girls who drove a gen1 LEAF from Helsinki to Biarritz. They didn't have ABRP to help, but at least they weren't in a rush. In those days finding that many charging stations was an adventure.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Saukkis posted:

In 2016 Finnish car magazine wrote an article about two surfer girls who drove a gen1 LEAF from Helsinki to Biarritz. They didn't have ABRP to help, but at least they weren't in a rush. In those days finding that many charging stations was an adventure.

With boards on the roof I guess? That must have trashed their range.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Saukkis posted:

In the olden days before DC chargers were widely rolled out people would bounce between camp grounds using the power hookups for caravans.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

dissss posted:

In the olden days before DC chargers were widely rolled out people would bounce between camp grounds using the power hookups for caravans.

Still pretty common in Alaska.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I been meaning to post about this, some Mach-E's had a manufacturing defect where the headlight is too close to the bumper cover and it rubs the paint off the bumper cover. I've seen maybe half a dozen people post about it total on the mach forums so it probably isn't that widespread. But mine had it. I took it down to my local dealer (which is not the dealer I bought my car from) and they looked at it and said they would fix it but they wouldn't do anything about the clear bra and I was just poo poo out of luck on that.

So I took it to the dealer I bought it from (45 minutes away) and they actually stepped up and took care of me. Headlight (hopefully) adjusted enough that it won't happen again, paint match looks great, had the clear bra reapplied and whoever did it did a great job. I bet the paint is actually better than factory now, the factory bumper paint seems awful thin. AND they fixed a rock chip in the front fender and a scratch in the bumper cover that I'm pretty sure the original clear bra installer put in it, for free.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Speaking of MachE defects, Ford wants you to know this isn't a defect:

quote:

SSM 50415 - 2022 Mustang Mach-E - No Longer Equipped With A Hands Free Liftgate System - Built On Or After 03-Jan-2022

2022 Mustang Mach-E vehicles built on or after 03-Jan-2022 are no longer equipped with a hands free liftgate system. The vehicle is not misbuilt. The addition of any parts is not a warrantable repair. Do not submit a claim for this condition.

There have been some supply related model year updates Ford has done (Bed lights and Auto Stop Start on F-150) but this is the first I've seen just drop a whole feature without an option to still upgrade/buy it.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Zero One posted:

There have been some supply related model year updates Ford has done (Bed lights and Auto Stop Start on F-150) but this is the first I've seen just drop a whole feature without an option to still upgrade/buy it.

LOL sounds like buying a new car in 2022 is not a great idea.

Posted from inside my 2022 Niro

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Jesus. My car didn't come with its handsfree hatch sensor but at least they gave me an IOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Does it not have the power liftgate at all or is it just the kinda dumb swipe foot underneath thing?

If it still has a fob and dashboard button that’s not a huge deal.

My car does have the thing where it goes up when you stand next to it and I’ve used it a handful of times. The power rear hatch rules though.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Kirios posted:

Shipping a car 1200 miles would be done by a car hauler / hot shot hauler. That's done pretty often with used cars. I see plenty of Carmax and Carvana mobile parking lots and I see EVs on them a few times, but I also see hot shot haulers carrying cars around and I know that's an option. I have no idea what the price is on a move like that, especially such a long one way trip with no guaranteed return trip or even a triangle trip.

-----------

talking about an Ioniq5

fawning deference posted:

Definitely. It's cyber gray and gray interior. Not my first color choice but they were very limited in inventory. It was either gray or white.
One thing that bugs me is that Hyundai/KIA could do so much better in the US EV market but it seems like they refuse to do so. H/K has plenty of fun paint colors but the EV options are just boring and basic. And don't get me going about the lack of supply. Even before Covid the BEVs were limited to compliance states and Georgia and the supply was limited to 5000 a year and I saw basically no advertising about them on TV compared to the Palisade/Telluride which I know is making bank for them.

H/K are doing the bare minimum effort in the US for the EVs and I am totally biased that I want the cars they sell in EU and Canada to be widely available in the US with dealer support to match. I want to drive a K6. I want to drive a K6 for 15k miles a year with a smile on my face, and be able to take it to a local dealership for service if anything goes wrong.

Also I want Ford to push harder to make the EV Explorer ready before 2026.

CannonFodder fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Jan 23, 2022

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Ford is repurposing all those mach e tailgate switches for the lightning.

Dancing Peasant
Jul 19, 2003

All this for stealing a piece of bread? :waycool:

Zero One posted:

In the 5 times I’ve tried this whole hauling groceries, it’s worked only once. I’m actually glad it’s being by removed.

My previous vehicle was an Exploder that had the kick function to lift the trunk, and that only worked 2/3rds the time when I needed it to and I’d consider that a success.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

CannonFodder posted:

Shipping a car 1200 miles would be done by a car hauler / hot shot hauler. That's done pretty often with used cars. I see plenty of Carmax and Carvana mobile parking lots and I see EVs on them a few times, but I also see hot shot haulers carrying cars around and I know that's an option. I have no idea what the price is on a move like that, especially such a long one way trip with no guaranteed return trip or even a triangle trip.

When my worked shipped my car approx 1,400 miles it was something like $400. Most of these guys just drive around nearly full time and pick up and drop off along the way, so if you’re not particular about needing it on a certain day you can save some cash.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I was just at a Mercedes dealer yesterday and they’re dropping features and giving a window sticker discount for them if they were standard. Automatic lift gate was $100.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Shipping a car long distances is similar to purchasing a new/used car, in the sense that you have to negotiate the price, and that price can vary wildly. If you reach out to the actual drivers, and have the luxury of waiting for them to pass nearby, you can get you vehicle shipped at bare minimum cost. But if you go though a national middleman service and need to fit into a ridgid timeframe, prepare to get hosed.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

The national middlemen companies are also complete scumbags that will spam the poo poo out of you, I have not had good experiences.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Took the plunge and drove home a polestar 2 yesterday. Had to trek 3 hours to the nearest dealer so the drive home was a little anxiety-inducing but I found a quick charge station no problem and I may not have needed a top off anyway.

It drives like a dream and the ability to just completely dust people on the interstate is incredible. The torque being so readily available even at 60mph is like a whole new driving experience. Will post some pics later on.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Are there any goon-approved EVs that we're all comfortable with as reliable and affordable daily drivers? Or does that vehicle not exist yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

Are there any goon-approved EVs that we're all comfortable with as reliable and affordable daily drivers? Or does that vehicle not exist yet?

Plenty of reliable daily drivers, but no getting around that most EVs are still a lot more expensive than a "daily driver" ICE. I daily drive a Tesla, but I'm not going to pretend they are "affordable".