Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I am kinda torn on what to do on my other arm and which monsters to put since I already landed in the big 3. I know I want Mecha-G for sure and Jet Jaguar but who else?? Leaning Gigan...

E: This is currently what I have done by Jennah here in Winnipeg

Vintersorg fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Jan 21, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Hedorah and King Caesar :getin:

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I have my Sailor Moon ones on my inner right forearm so I was thinking of putting Mothra on my left upper arm. Then eventually it could expand to have Ghidorah and a Godzilla on there too.

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

We are debating on the next kaiju to do next to the Godzilla. It kind of depends on what we can fit, but it’s going to be either Orga (which makes the most sense), Monster X (also works but fitting either one might be a challenge) or Gigan, but she and I both like Showa Gigan better.

Showa Gigan has the best colors. Orga seems like it would risk looking too blobby and grey.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Showa Gigan, Heisei Gigan, and Chainsaw Gigan

Violator
May 15, 2003

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Not a kaiju but the suit Stan Winston Studios did for The Relic kicked rear end

I’ve always loved that movie and wish the monster was a little better displayed. Really neat design.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Vintersorg posted:

I am kinda torn on what to do on my other arm and which monsters to put since I already landed in the big 3. I know I want Mecha-G for sure and Jet Jaguar but who else?? Leaning Gigan...

E: This is currently what I have done by Jennah here in Winnipeg

I love that piece so much.

Yeah the ones we are doing on her arm are all going to be surrounded by flowers like the Godzilla when it's all finished.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Hedorah and King Caesar :getin:

I REALLY want to do a Hedorah tattoo.

I'll be honest: I personally am not a fan of the Final Wars designs of pretty much all of the kaiju; they are really well done, but since they are Nirasawa creations, they all look like they fit better in a Super Sentai world than a Toho Kaiju world. To me those boys should all be fat, not slim and athletic. But I'm old so :shrug:

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

We are debating on the next kaiju to do next to the Godzilla. It kind of depends on what we can fit, but it’s going to be either Orga (which makes the most sense), Monster X (also works but fitting either one might be a challenge) or Gigan, but she and I both like Showa Gigan better.

Orga is a very underrated kaiju, would love to see an Orga tattoo.

if you have an instagram or something and are comfortable sharing I would love to follow, big fan of kaiju tattoos

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Orga is a very underrated kaiju, would love to see an Orga tattoo.

if you have an instagram or something and are comfortable sharing I would love to follow, big fan of kaiju tattoos

Tattoo IG: @tattoosbydoughardy
Sofubi IG: @kaiju_sommelier
My own sofubi toy: @catmagictoys

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

I don't have any tattoos, but if I do it's gonna be Giant Condor no question.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
The giant sea louse across my chest to show my real Gojiraboo creds.

Cercueil
Sep 21, 2006

My dumb idea for a kaiju tattoo has always been Megalon’s head with his drill hands crossed behind it, Jolly Rodger style.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Cercueil posted:

My dumb idea for a kaiju tattoo has always been Megalon’s head with his drill hands crossed behind it, Jolly Rodger style.

Do it!!!! That’s awesome.

BiggestBatman
Aug 23, 2018
I'm very late to the party and finally watching singular point (dubbed, fite me) and I've invented a very fun game called guess which incidental character is gonna have jet black's voice in this episode. If anyone wants i can explain the rules

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Apple should go for some synergy and do a Ted Lasso vs. Godzilla spoof.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Binary Badger posted:

Apple should go for some synergy and do a Ted Lasso vs. Godzilla spoof.

Bambi Meets Godzilla for a new generation.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

They can do it in that weird claymation style that they used for 'The Missing Christmas Mustache..'

They already have all the models, just make a Godzilla claymation and have him stomp all the characters, record some screams, boom you're done

(Hopefully this isn't what they ACTUALLY plan for a Monsterverse series)

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Kaiju workplace comedy set on Monster Island.

Godzilla: Skreeonk!
Rodan: [Jim Face]

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Just make a new series of Godzilla Island, someone must have the old model sets and action figures from the original series in a cupboard somewhere

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jG8shc73XOQ

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I learned about a sale on Ultraman bluray sets
https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1487167619203432451

I've never seen any of them so I ordered the season called 'Ultraman' (which is season 2?). Excited to watch them.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Shiroc posted:

I've never seen any of them so I ordered the season called 'Ultraman' (which is season 2?). Excited to watch them.

Ultra Q isn’t really the first season, but more of a precursor which was kind of an ‘Outer Limits’ style show. Ultraman came out the following year and started a legacy that is going strong. Ultra 7 was the follow up show that wasn’t intended to be part of the Ultraman universe but was retconned into it. I’d suggest picking up 7 if you like science fiction, it’s really great. I’ve been a huge Ultra fan since I was a kid

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Shiroc posted:

You're going to have a great time.

The numbering doesn't super matter for the original three- Ultra Q, Ultraman and UltraSeven are only related in terms of who made them. As shows, they're each independent of one another and function very differently.

Ultra Q is a Twilight Zone/Outer Limits styled series about a photojournalist investigating strange going ons, usually involving kaiju of some sort, but it is very broad in what its about because the main draw are the different kinds of special effects they can pull off week to week. Very experimental, very good 1960s sci-fi.

Ultraman is a completely different beast, as it's basically the weekly adventures of a kaiju fighting science team dealing with different kaiju. Where Ultra Q is a different sci-fi movie done in 25 minutes, Ultraman features a more driven narrative engine and always has a kaiju at the center of the plot, but with the twist that an alien superhero will show up at the tail end of the episode to help save the day. It's way more Science Fantasy, and I believe that's even in the tagline, and it goes some wild directions. It's the second of the Ultra Franchise, but the first of the Ultraman series.

UltraSeven is more similar to Ultraman in terms of structure, but the two shows have nothing in common otherwise. It also features a team of people who deal with weird poo poo, but in this case its far more grounded in reality, and what they deal with is strictly Alien related. It's far more concrete sci-fi, and is generally regarded as the Star Trek of Japan. The thrust of the show is about character and writing over spectacle most of the time. The tone is a lot more dire and serious as well. Of the three, all were aimed at a general audience, but UltraSeven shifted towards adults, more than kids.

All together the three basically created the tokusatsu hero genre as we know it today. The immediate predecessors from Japan were more in line with serialized heroes from America- these three shows changed the game and defined what would come forever after. Name virtually any product that is toku related, and it ties back to them, including Sailor Moon, Dragon Ball Z, Pokemon, and way too much other poo poo.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

poo poo now I want to watch The Targeted Town again

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Also Shiroc when you get the sets come to the Toku thread and give us 1st watch reviews and opinions

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Burkion posted:

Sailor Moon

Guess I'm getting at least these 3 then huh?

e:

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Also Shiroc when you get the sets come to the Toku thread and give us 1st watch reviews and opinions

Where is that?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Shiroc posted:

e:

Where is that?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3833101

So beyond how Ultraman lead directly to Sentai existing, you know how Usagi's finisher is taking her tiara off and tossing it as a weapon?

You're going to discover where that comes from and it's great

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Shiroc posted:

e:

Where is that?

Here 😺

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

That reminded me I haven't watched an Ultraman in a while, so I ordered Ultraman Ace. And then instantly remembered that I stopped watching Mega Monster Galaxy like two episodes from the end like three months ago and never got around to finishing it.

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

Intensity, .mpeg gritty, Intelligence
Ultra 7 is one of the greatest sci-fi shows ever made, full stop. It's so good.

I'd be okay with a monsterverse show structured like that. gently caress it, just give us Legendary Zone Fighter.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I did end up also ordering Ultras Q and 7. I'll be happy to write things up as I watch them. I'm in the process of trying to get a new job and half hour shows are perfect because I don't feel like I'm able to commit to anything in longer chunks than that right now.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

They're great. I really enjoyed watching Ultra Q before bed.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I know Ultra Q is inarguably the least polished show, and has the misfortune to start off with a couple dud episodes, but it is my favorite of the three. There's so much variety, you really don't know what you're going to get when you start an episode. All of the first three are great but Ultra Q has a special kind of wild improvisational creativity.
Plus it has the best Ultra kaiju, Peguila.

They did another series, Neo Ultra Q, recently and it has one episode that is the single best piece of art about global warming I've seen.

Gripweed fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Feb 1, 2022

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Related, there's a fun anime screening atm called Miss Kuroitsu from the Monster Development Department which is about the overworked, underbudgeted developers at an evil organisation who create the monster-of-the-week to fight the local Sentai

It has guest cameos every week of smalltime Sentai "local heroes" which is pretty :3:

Pyswagoras
Oct 4, 2013

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Related, there's a fun anime screening atm called Miss Kuroitsu from the Monster Development Department which is about the overworked, underbudgeted developers at an evil organisation who create the monster-of-the-week to fight the local Sentai

It has guest cameos every week of smalltime Sentai "local heroes" which is pretty :3:

Holy poo poo, thanks for posting this. This show really hits the spot as a corporate worker and sentai fan.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Man, when I was a little kid Ultraman after school was the hype. I'm pretty old so it was the original 1967 reruns. Had me a 1-2 punch of that and Speed Racer.

I used to beat the poo poo out of my larger stuffed animals while pretending to be Ultraman.

gently caress you big stuffed turtle and your alligator buddy there too.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

BiggerBoat posted:

Man, when I was a little kid Ultraman after school was the hype. I'm pretty old so it was the original 1967 reruns. Had me a 1-2 punch of that and Speed Racer.

I used to beat the poo poo out of my larger stuffed animals while pretending to be Ultraman.

That's the Ultraman way

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

BiggerBoat posted:

Burkion posted:

That's the Ultraman way

:hmmyes:

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Burkion posted:

That's the Ultraman way

Oh I hosed them up proper.

Had me a broken piece from some other toy or something that looked about right to my dumb child eyes that served as my Beta Capsule.

When my grandmother would tell me dinner would be ready in 5, that's when my warning light began to blink.

Time to get serious, bust out my imaginary Specium Ray and end this loving thing.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

What the poo poo.

Hideaki Anno Is Creating His Version Of The Marvel Universe But With Kaiju, Heroes, and Robots

https://kotaku.com/godzilla-evangelion-hideaki-anno-kamen-rider-ultraman-k-1848532204

Mr. Funny Pants fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Feb 14, 2022

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Get in the Eva, Godzilla.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

It's not an actual shared universe, it's just a marketing thing. There has been EvangelionxGodzilla merch for a long time, now there's going to be a lot more plus Ultraman and Kamen Rider