Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

cheetah7071 posted:

If it helps, with the endwalker rotation you're supposed to use geirskogul before high jump every time (unless downtime or deaths mess up your eyes). This is a reverse from shadowbringers, where you needed the flexibility to choose whether you use geirskogul before or after mirage dive. With the new rigidity of your buffs, you want to delay every single life of the dragon, so it works out fine to use geirskogul first

The opener is a little unintuitive but once you get it into muscle memory the rest of the class is just hitting buttons on CD, it's really smooth. I'd recommend following it even if you aren't potting, and delaying your first buffs until after the second GCD. It really makes everything line up better.

I should probably do a bit of practicing with rotations as opposed to the tactic I have been using for the past half year of "just go in and hit the buttons that seem right" lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Chillgamesh posted:

Oh yeah, also, thanks to that post earlier upthread I just solo'd A12S with a ilvl560 Gunbreaker, even getting hit by a few mechanics because I didn't know the fight. It's extremely easy and now I have this bad rear end sword

Thanks for mentioning this.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Heavensward Time! Come enjoy the finale of some hot garbage job questing

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

cheetah7071 posted:

If it helps, with the endwalker rotation you're supposed to use geirskogul before high jump every time (unless downtime or deaths mess up your eyes). This is a reverse from shadowbringers, where you needed the flexibility to choose whether you use geirskogul before or after mirage dive. With the new rigidity of your buffs, you want to delay every single life of the dragon, so it works out fine to use geirskogul first

The opener is a little unintuitive but once you get it into muscle memory the rest of the class is just hitting buttons on CD, it's really smooth. I'd recommend following it even if you aren't potting, and delaying your first buffs until after the second GCD. It really makes everything line up better.

I am guessing the double-weaved dragon sight there doesn't select the partner...

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

theironjef posted:

Most interesting thing here is definitely that there used to be a plan or at least a thought that more classes than Arcanist were going to have two paths to choose from at 30. I wonder what that would have looked like.

I recently saw that to get jobs, you originally had to be 30 in the “primary” class, and 15 in a second one (So PLD needed to be a 30 GLD, 15 CNJ).

I could see that they might have had an idea for extending that to “advanced” jobs, like PLD and DRK combined to become Sword Saint from FFT.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

OddObserver posted:

I am guessing the double-weaved dragon sight there doesn't select the partner...

It does. It's not that bad

If you can't double weave dragon sight it's fine, just swap it with battle litany. It won't apply on chaos surge but it will apply in your first wyrmwind so it's only a tiny tiny loss.

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Drops out into all this disorder

theironjef posted:

Most interesting thing here is definitely that there used to be a plan or at least a thought that more classes than Arcanist were going to have two paths to choose from at 30. I wonder what that would have looked like.

very very bad ftr. as someone who was playing in 2.1 even, yes that was explicitly the plan. the reason they abandoned it is scob/fcob were balancing nightmares since smn was weak both tiers (and actually atrocious in fcob specifically), but making it better would also have buffed sch. at this point sch was actually super super good and the only reason parties werent double sch was because of the minor annoyance of shields not overlapping. every action theyve taken since then has been to try and split smn/sch completely and i hope next expac they finally announce "sch is no longer based of arcanist, we figured something else out" and it can be put to bed lol.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Why would you want them to split SMN/SCH at this point? It's nothing but a benefit to the player that you level both at once.

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
because the current solution is clunky and inelegant (you have a button called ruin on arcanist but then when you put on the scholar jobstone, it goes away because scholars ruin is different because it has to be so that summoner can be tweaked without affecting scholar) and as long as the connection exists the door is open for more problems like the one i explicitly mentioned. the benefit players get out of the arrangement should not be an impetus to preserve a bad system thats caused over half a decade of headache. thats insane, actually.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Scholar and Summoner sharing experience is good because it means i don't have to play scholar

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Regy Rusty posted:

Scholar and Summoner sharing experience is good because it means i don't have to play scholar

:hmmyes:

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Kagaya Homoraisan posted:

because the current solution is clunky and inelegant (you have a button called ruin on arcanist but then when you put on the scholar jobstone, it goes away because scholars ruin is different because it has to be so that summoner can be tweaked without affecting scholar) and as long as the connection exists the door is open for more problems like the one i explicitly mentioned. the benefit players get out of the arrangement should not be an impetus to preserve a bad system thats caused over half a decade of headache. thats insane, actually.

This.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Is there any actual evidence there's problems with SMN/SCH besides "you need to redo you bars when becoming SCH"? and "Physik sucks for SMN for no clear reason"?

They've stapled added so much to SCH/SMN over time and it feels like it hasn't shown any issues yet. I would have imagined they would have turned it into it's own job that starts at 30 like DRK/AST/MCH if they really needed to.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The new player experience with them both is really clunky. If you want to play a healer and scholar appeals to you you spend the first 30 levels as a DPS. Summoner's abilities completely rework in a way other classes' dont when they get upgraded from Arcanist. Arcanist is this weird mishmash class while, say, Marauder, is just a Warrior with literally no differences in mechanics or any skills lost when it becomes a Warrior. There's no other class in the game that works like them so a new player might also be confused why Scholar keeps leveling when they level their Summoner.

Of course, decoupling them would retroactively make things harder for new players or people who haven't leveled Arcanist before.

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel

Oxyclean posted:

Is there any actual evidence there's problems with SMN/SCH besides "you need to redo you bars when becoming SCH"? and "Physik sucks for SMN for no clear reason"?

They've stapled added so much to SCH/SMN over time and it feels like it hasn't shown any issues yet. I would have imagined they would have turned it into it's own job that starts at 30 like DRK/AST/MCH if they really needed to.

youve got it backwards. they have spent every single expansion building away from the issue, by constantly splitting these two jobs with the same base class apart as much as they could in the system. the problem was never "oh arcanist has too many things tied to it or whatever" the problem was "we cant buff aetherflow to fix the fact that smn goes oom halfway through every fight in this tier because sch, which has the same button would become too good at the exact same time."

and theyve wanted to split it the entire time! they said as much but said the underlying issues involved made this a very onerous task. kind of like the task you take over many years and will often lose progress on as jobs have to be worked on for other reasons like new caps etc. theyre basically 95% complete atm (the only shared skill now is resurrection, but hey, this problem could rear itself up if they go "hey for 7.0 lets give the healer rezzes a fun trait" cuz oops, smn also has that same rez). as someone who was playing when the smn/sch issue was at its most problematic, it would literally only be a good thing to finally close that door for good. the fact that people would now have to play a job they dont like to reap its benefits, like with every other job in the game and they shouldnt have to, is not a good counterargument.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Endorph posted:

The new player experience with them both is really clunky. If you want to play a healer and scholar appeals to you you spend the first 30 levels as a DPS. Summoner's abilities completely rework in a way other classes' dont when they get upgraded from Arcanist. Arcanist is this weird mishmash class while, say, Marauder, is just a Warrior with literally no differences in mechanics or any skills lost when it becomes a Warrior. There's no other class in the game that works like them so a new player might also be confused why Scholar keeps leveling when they level their Summoner.

Of course, decoupling them would retroactively make things harder for new players or people who haven't leveled Arcanist before.

I suppose this is a good point - if you want to start as a healer, you get one option (CNJ) - in some ways it might benefit new players to at least have a choice between two healers from the start.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

theironjef posted:

Regalingualius posted:

I recently saw that to get jobs, you originally had to be 30 in the “primary” class, and 15 in a second one (So PLD needed to be a 30 GLD, 15 CNJ).

I could see that they might have had an idea for extending that to “advanced” jobs, like PLD and DRK combined to become Sword Saint from FFT.
I've heard speculation that GLD might have upgraded to either PLD as a tank or DRK as a dps before, but as far as I know we never actually got any design confirmation beyond "yeah we're thinking about it" and I'm pretty sure that comes from grand old plans that smacked into the reality of implementation - Arcanist was the only class addition to 2.0, and they haven't done a single split job since.

http://game.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/interview/20140623_654559.html posted:

Last year when Scholar was introduced at E3, it was mentioned that it would branch off from the same class as Summoner, and this would be a mechanic that would be used more, but it has yet to happen for any other class. You haven’t announced anything yet, but are there any other plans to introduce anything like this? For example, another swordsman besides Paladin?

Well, we need to look into this and whether we want to keep that plan, it’s something we have to consider as we add new jobs and classes. One of the more difficult things with the system is that when a job is derived from a class, it's tied to the class's actions. Also, when we make multiple jobs from one class, the weakness with having multiple jobs branch out of one class without being able to freely switch stats around is exposed. This wasn’t a problem initially because both of those jobs were simultaneously added and it was planned from the start, but now we have to carefully think about this. One thing we could consider, for example, is a hybrid job derived from more than one class, but it may change depending on what we want to add. The number of jobs will increase even further with 3.0 (the expansion pack), and at that point we might decide on an entirely new mechanism, so please hang on for further details.
So like, as early as 2.2, but likely even before A Realm Reborn launched, they were thinking about "wow, we really don't like this system after all." At a guess, the rush to get 2.0 out the door at all meant they couldn't really go back to the drawing board by the point and it's just kind of been something they've worked around since.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

They were probably thinking of the branching classes like WoW's talent system but WoW was built from the ground up for that. And realistically, what's the benefit outside of making leveling all jobs easier?

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Endorph posted:

They were probably thinking of the branching classes like WoW's talent system but WoW was built from the ground up for that. And realistically, what's the benefit outside of making leveling all jobs easier?

While I very much enjoyed being able to access the healer role quest w/o actually being able to play healer, there is also the problem that scholar in particular I have no clue on how to play, since I hardly saw it built up incrementally.

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
i think they were also not expecting people to be as gung-ho as people in this game often are about leveling everything up pretty consistently. so in that instance it prob makes sense to make sure people arent stuck with one role forevermore. in practice though people are fine with leveling everything up no matter how many jobs there are lol, so the game doesnt need those extra freebie roles handed out to people.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

They could also just slightly increase the armory bonus in compensation. A small boost applied to every job in the game is about equal to one pair of jobs sharing levels. And like, fursonally, i do think people should have to play a healer at some point to do the healer role quests.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Fursonally, I agree

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Leveling is already real easy so it's not like it'd be some massive middle finger if they do split them up and you no longer get a free dps or free healer when you level one or the other.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

owned

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Leveling is already real easy so it's not like it'd be some massive middle finger if they do split them up and you no longer get a free dps or free healer when you level one or the other.
I mean, leveling is real easy when you already have everything 50+ :v: I remember getting everything up to 50 feeling real grueling. I think it might feel a bit...lame? to anyone who missed leveling SMN/SCH to a good point before they got decoupled.

Also, it sounds like something is going to happen with MSQR at some point - I wouldn't be surprised if it was something like it getting Trust-ified and the roulette gets removed, which is not really a bad thing for the sake of NPE, but would mean one less source of easy daily EXP.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

what server are you on, and/or are the cactpot numbers the same across servers

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
lets never change anything then because someone who joins 4 years later and wont even have context to understand these decisions will feel left out. 👍

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

what server are you on, and/or are the cactpot numbers the same across servers

Faerie. I think they are different on every server? Or at least every DC.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

lets never change anything then because someone who joins 4 years later and wont even have context to understand these decisions will feel left out. 👍
It's more in response to the idea we shouldn't do anything to compensate removing a player-beneficial perk of the way things currently are.

By all means, decouple SCH and SMN if it does something worthwhile, but making leveling a bit easier even it might already be easy isn't really a bad thing. Particularly as the game continues to add jobs.

SMN/SCH basically letting some players get quick access to a second role is maybe something that the game should work towards more, not less? Albeit, it can be done better so that you don't have players without experience.

e: If I want to be disingenuous too; "The devs should fix/remove this weird quirky thing that isn't causing any visible problems because it bugs me in particular!"

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

youve got it backwards. they have spent every single expansion building away from the issue, by constantly splitting these two jobs with the same base class apart as much as they could in the system. the problem was never "oh arcanist has too many things tied to it or whatever" the problem was "we cant buff aetherflow to fix the fact that smn goes oom halfway through every fight in this tier because sch, which has the same button would become too good at the exact same time."

and theyve wanted to split it the entire time! they said as much but said the underlying issues involved made this a very onerous task. kind of like the task you take over many years and will often lose progress on as jobs have to be worked on for other reasons like new caps etc. theyre basically 95% complete atm (the only shared skill now is resurrection, but hey, this problem could rear itself up if they go "hey for 7.0 lets give the healer rezzes a fun trait" cuz oops, smn also has that same rez). as someone who was playing when the smn/sch issue was at its most problematic, it would literally only be a good thing to finally close that door for good. the fact that people would now have to play a job they dont like to reap its benefits, like with every other job in the game and they shouldnt have to, is not a good counterargument.

none of this is actually a real problem that exists in the game right now because they don't have to balance anything around abilities that each class gets as an Arcanist. If they added a trait for res they would just tie it to Scholar, since traits aren't shared between the classes.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

FuturePastNow posted:

Faerie. I think they are different on every server? Or at least every DC.
Adamantoise's was different from that and it's also Aether.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

If SCH/SMN were split and then someone joined after that and learned that they used to share a base class and share levels I imagine the reaction would be "huh weird" or "that's neat" most of the time, with the occasional joking "where's my free job YoshiP???"

Either way if they ever did split them I'd really like there to be more differentiation between SCH and SMN weapons. They'd obviously both have to still be books but it'd be cool if they had different quirks or one of them came with an off-hand or something. I mean I'd like that anyway but if they were ever fully separate it'd be even more reason.

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

crawled over the finish line but finished the tier hooray

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Dryzen posted:

crawled over the finish line but finished the tier hooray

that's awesome dude my group just cleared tonight too

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Trying to get Album cover art between pulls in my static

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Oxyclean posted:

It's more in response to the idea we shouldn't do anything to compensate removing a player-beneficial perk of the way things currently are.

By all means, decouple SCH and SMN if it does something worthwhile, but making leveling a bit easier even it might already be easy isn't really a bad thing. Particularly as the game continues to add jobs.

SMN/SCH basically letting some players get quick access to a second role is maybe something that the game should work towards more, not less? Albeit, it can be done better so that you don't have players without experience.

e: If I want to be disingenuous too; "The devs should fix/remove this weird quirky thing that isn't causing any visible problems because it bugs me in particular!"

Having people get free jobs to max that they have no idea how to play is IMO not something they should be working towards doing more of. And I think they agree considering they never ever have done anything like the SMN/SCH split ever again.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
Time to go back to Eureka. I'm almost out of NPCs with triad cards.

I think I forgot to equip the body piece last time I was there because it was going much faster this time.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
They should decouple SCH and SMN because I, fursonally, consider it a penalty that they both level up at once since I never get to have the leveling experience as one of them.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Oxyclean posted:

I suppose this is a good point - if you want to start as a healer, you get one option (CNJ) - in some ways it might benefit new players to at least have a choice between two healers from the start.

I don't think that's what people have been talking about; the idea is that SCH would start at level 30 as a brand new job (with minor rewrites to the intro quest). Creating an entire new set of 1-30 job quests seems like more effort. This solution would let you start as CNJ and switch over to SCH at level 30, like you would for say MNK and SAM right now. As opposed to being forced to level proto-SMN for 1-30 before you can heal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I legitimately don't know what anything in the SCH kit from 60-80 (i guess 90 now) does lol since it just got boosted with my SMN