Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

nolan's super mainstream but he definitely has creative control and direction, and a distinct sexless conservatism to his filmmaking that you don't even get from his imitators

is michael bay an auteur?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

basically i just ask myself "could anyone else have made this movie". the answer, in hollywood especially, is usually yes. you can't say the same about an ozu or kiarostami or w/e.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
But Hollywood doesn't even allow for those types of directors to exist within it. The closest would be Tarantino but if you want American funding you need to be working the way they want

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
scorsese too... de palma... just old dudes

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
the sexless conservatism of Nolan films sounds like an hour long youtube documentary i would watch the hell out of

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

josh04 posted:

yes I don’t believe any other director could have made The Rock or Bad Boys/II

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

nolan and bay are definitely auteurs uder the definition used by this forum (hollywood movies that feel like they were made by a stupid guy instead of an algorithm)

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

indigi posted:

yes I don’t believe any other director could have made The Rock or Bad Boys/II

harlin or tony scott could :colbert:

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

F Stop Fitzgerald posted:

harlin or tony scott could :colbert:

Scott could of maybe done The Rock (I feel like multiple shots were straight Top Gun ripoffs) but I don’t think either could have made the Bad Boys magic work.

actually filming in SF would have been dangerous for him, Scott may have been doing an establishing shot of the Golden Gate and gotten an idea

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Denis Villenueve Star Wars when

Or better yet: Denis Villenueve Star Trek

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

josh04 posted:

nolan's super mainstream but he definitely has creative control and direction, and a distinct sexless conservatism to his filmmaking that you don't even get from his imitators

yes

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Serf posted:

every decision disney has made since buying star wars has been insanely dumb and i honestly have no idea what kind of clownshoes operation they're running over there

again, with regards to quality, the profit has been more than adequate

Disney has pumped out such an overwhelming amount of cash-in live action garbage that I assume they just aren't all that good at making movies.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Justin Tyme posted:

Denis Villenueve Star Wars when

Or better yet: Denis Villenueve Star Trek

i'm going to dare to say that villenueve could make the least bad film adaptation of book of the new sun

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

at the risk of being further owned why was my good talk post so horrifying its just i cant help but get insane succ vibes when theres stuff like two whole pages thats literally just the text to obamas brilliant reverend wright speech something the author apparently still considers to be genius in the age of trump

quote:

The profound mistake of Reverend Wright's sermons is not that he spoke about racism in our society. It's that he spoke as if our society was static; as if no progress has been made; as if this country – a country that has made it possible for one of his own members to run for the highest office in the land and build a coalition of white and black; Latino and Asian, rich and poor, young and old -- is still irrevocably bound to a tragic past. But what we know -- what we have seen – is that America can change. That is true genius of this nation. What we have already achieved gives us hope – the audacity to hope – for what we can and must achieve tomorrow.

In the white community, the path to a more perfect union means acknowledging that what ails the African-American community does not just exist in the minds of black people; that the legacy of discrimination - and current incidents of discrimination, while less overt than in the past - are real and must be addressed. Not just with words, but with deeds – by investing in our schools and our communities; by enforcing our civil rights laws and ensuring fairness in our criminal justice system; by providing this generation with ladders of opportunity that were unavailable for previous generations. It requires all Americans to realize that your dreams do not have to come at the expense of my dreams; that investing in the health, welfare, and education of black and brown and white children will ultimately help all of America prosper.

In the end, then, what is called for is nothing more, and nothing less, than what all the world's great religions demand – that we do unto others as we would have them do unto us.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
michael bay has a really distinct style. he is an auteur

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
OPTIMUS!!!!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

Disney has pumped out such an overwhelming amount of cash-in live action garbage that I assume they just aren't all that good at making movies.

pretty much yeah. the mcu didn't start as Disney, and would never have gotten off the ground if it did

iirc they actally are panicking over star wars, TroS made money but the absolute lowest scale of their projections, there's a reason there's no new prequel era stuff besides the theme park poo poo that's probably been designed years ago and it's too late to change. I still bet they're gonna Dragon Ball GT the sequels in a decade or two

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

pretty much yeah. the mcu didn't start as Disney, and would never have gotten off the ground if it did

iirc they actally are panicking over star wars, TroS made money but the absolute lowest scale of their projections, there's a reason there's no new prequel era stuff besides the theme park poo poo that's probably been designed years ago and it's too late to change. I still bet they're gonna Dragon Ball GT the sequels in a decade or two

The next trilogy will either be a prequel of the prequels or jam-packed between VI and VII because that's where the fanservice will be. The franchise is pretty much trapped in the gravitational pull of its most famous characters. Only 12 year olds are interested in High Republic stuff.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

i am enjoying the adventures of the peacemaker

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Rewatching the Matrix sequels, it turns out that the Architect stuff is actually not too hard to figure out. But, besides how much of an obvious mess the third movie is:

Having the rest of the human ships wiped out in a plan that is conceived, betrayed, and then falls apart entirely off screen is a wild decision.

The ship of nobodies getting blown up during the big heist is it's own confusing mini mess, and on top of that Niobe's apparent adventure with the sentinels also takes place off screen! This is a dumb waste because otherwise the whole bomb-throwing gimmick is a nice introduction to how the machines will later defend their city.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

i believe niobe's adventure takes place during canon video game "Enter the Matrix"

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Some of the setup for the third movie happens in The Animatrix but i dont remember how much exactly. I think its just one of the shorts

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

josh04 posted:

i believe niobe's adventure takes place during canon video game "Enter the Matrix"

Yeah I played and forgot all about it.

If Niobe is gonna survive anyway they might as well have cut the third ship out of the plot altogether and had her being forced to cut and run be the unexpected turn.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Funnily enough I only saw the bad movie Dreamcatcher because of the Animatrix short that played in front of it. Although I guess that was the entire plan.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Funnily enough I only saw the bad movie Dreamcatcher because of the Animatrix short that played in front of it. Although I guess that was the entire plan.

Is that the one where the mentally disabled guys an alien?

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

mandatory lesbian posted:

Is that the one where the mentally disabled guys an alien?

And played by a Wahlberg I think.

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот
it's a stephen king book, like half of them contain that trope to some degree

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

And played by a Wahlberg I think.

Jesus christ

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Zvahl posted:

it's a stephen king book, like half of them contain that trope to some degree

Now now, usually theyre just magical!

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

NO OPTIMUS REMEMBER THE GENEVA- *blam blam*

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

:allears:

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

oh, i can think of one longer

skipmyseashells
Nov 14, 2020

Rewatching the Matrix sequels, it turns out that the Architect stuff is actually not too hard to figure out. But, besides how much of an obvious mess the third movie is:

Having the rest of the human ships wiped out in a plan that is conceived, betrayed, and then falls apart entirely off screen is a wild decision.

The ship of nobodies getting blown up during the big heist is it's own confusing mini mess, and on top of that Niobe's apparent adventure with the sentinels also takes place off screen! This is a dumb waste because otherwise the whole bomb-throwing gimmick is a nice introduction to how the machines will later defend their city.

that’s because the wachoski sisters love anime and doing big character movements offscreen is an anime staple

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот

mandatory lesbian posted:

Now now, usually theyre just magical!

either them or whatever black person ended up in his story, yes

as dreamcatcher is set in derry, which canonically has exactly one black person, they avoided it in that one

but jason lee being killed by malevolent toilet aliens is at least fun

Cannibal Llama
Jan 3, 2020

Cannibal Llama sounds like it could be a zany intentional throwback to mid OOs Penguin of Doom tier usernames but it also sounds like it could be the name of the lamest possible Metal Gear Solid boss so please don't make fun of it.
That part in the novel where the dude comes across the statues of the losers club from IT that has graffiti on them that says PENNYWISE LIVES was cool. That was the only cool part of that book. Otherwise I have some vague memories of the one magical uh, mentally handicapped kid who had an obsession with the scooby doo theme song.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Judakel posted:

zack snyder is an auteur

of poo poo

paul ws anderson is the best mainstream poo poo-movie auteur
neil breen is the best outsider poo poo-movie auteur
zack snyder, michael bay, etc are all boring even if they have distinctive movies

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
i read dreamcatcher cover to cover (big SK fan) and i honestly couldn't tell you much more about it than "duddits"

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

To be clear I don't think Rian Johnson is an auteur director, but he clearly thinks he is.
He's not at all shy about slapping his name on a poster and letting you know he was clever enough to write and direct his very own movies, can you believe that
one person doing both things

As far as it goes describing people as auteurs I wildly disagree with treating it as some sort of honorific, I mean it's just as valid to apply to people like Ed Wood or Tommy Wiseau. There is nothing about it that means "good"
it's just a creative stank so potent the film-making apparatus can't or won't be bothered to grind off the distinct edges.
If you can recognize a filmmaker stylistically that feels like enough. Snyder, for better or worse, well you will know his films in a loving second. Bay... sometimes. I'd argue someone like Edgar Wright is closer to that level of distinct.
Rian Johnson so far just has "discount Chris Nolan" going for him

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот

smarxist posted:

i read dreamcatcher cover to cover (big SK fan) and i honestly couldn't tell you much more about it than "duddits"

same honestly the book at least was more forgettable and most derry works that aren't It just seem to be trying to coopt some popularity from it, I enjoyed Insomnia but it could have just been set anywhere and the part in 11/22/63 was fine but it was still a really obvious derry allstars cameo

the movie was fun in the way that bad SK adaptations can be, lol silver bullet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
i wept like a teary bitch through the Derry scene of the JFK book, it was so loving sweet and well done

edit:
a lot of people took umbrage with SK threading all his works together, i thought it was fun as hell, aside from the really excessive self-inserting into Dark Tower. any time BANGO SKANK or any other easter egg stuff would happen i'd hoot and holler like a trained monkey

smarxist has issued a correction as of 15:49 on Jan 23, 2022