Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

:kstare:Sinfest Sunday!:kstare:

What the gently caress?

Like, seriously, what the gently caress is this supposed to be? This isn't set up, this isn't paid off, the characters weren't seen before or after this. It doesn't make narrative sense since the pandemic is supposed to be nothing and the vaccine is evil, so rednecks getting put in intensive care doesn't even make narrative sense as a thing.

This is like he tried to cram "five things happened" into four panels, along with an attempt at a joke and a punchy punchline title, and then had a stroke halfway through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

ZeeToo posted:

What the gently caress?

Like, seriously, what the gently caress is this supposed to be? This isn't set up, this isn't paid off, the characters weren't seen before or after this. It doesn't make narrative sense since the pandemic is supposed to be nothing and the vaccine is evil, so rednecks getting put in intensive care doesn't even make narrative sense as a thing.

This is like he tried to cram "five things happened" into four panels, along with an attempt at a joke and a punchy punchline title, and then had a stroke halfway through.

General Hospital is the name of a soap opera. I think the idea here is that the situation is fake

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I think back in 2020 some nurses and other hospital staff did a dance video; I forget the full details but considering Ishida’s propensity for outdated references it fits.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

It's definitely a reference to that video too, it made right wingers so mad for some reason

How dare those nurses and doctors working 80 hour week dance for 5 minutes while I can't go to Baskin Robbins!

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

I have no idea who these people are.

quote:

quote:

Eat a bowl of rusty nails jackass who writes Sinfest.

quote:

Don't threaten me with a good time Ishida

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Remember that when the Woker was introduced he was anti-corporate and led an attack on the evil drone-making factory. But now he's an icon in the corporate owned America, I guess.

Btw the attack was portrayed as bad and wrong because our heroes had jobs there and would be unemployed if the attack succeeded in stopping production of the flying authoritarian control drones that are always oppressing everyone

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Jan 23, 2022

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

VitalSigns posted:

General Hospital is the name of a soap opera. I think the idea here is that the situation is fake

Bingo. He’s gone full kool-aid drinker at this point and the reports of ICUs being overwhelmed are actually all lies. This is why, along with LGBTQ people, black people, and antifa, medical professionals are also now evil woke people who killed America going by the flags in the Sunday strip

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Observer:

"Partygate, scapegoats and an end to plan B – Despite a bruising week, Boris Johnson is as bubbly as ever"

Sunday Telegraph:

Britain claims Vladimir Putin is plotting a puppet regime in Ukraine

Matt:

Sunday Times:

Mail on Sunday:

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Sitzen ein oder mehrere Wipfe in einer Lore, so kann man sie ueber den Rand der Lore hinausschauen sehen.

So the only one crying for the death of Mr. U.S.A. is the right hand of the Devil?

Silently nodding here.

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Victar
Nov 8, 2009

Bored? Need something to read while camping Time-Lost Protodrake?

www.vicfanfic.com

Who or what is that black bird with a cross neckalce? A representation of a medieval plague doctor?

Do I even want to know?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Gun control amirite?? :nallears:

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
big pharma

you know how chuds compare following basic medical advice to being in a cult, and imposing the slightest measure to limit the spread of a pandemic to nazi occupation?

he's that

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Alhazred posted:

It's the Rod of Asklepios:ohdear:

Well yeah, but that's usually not a 170 meter tall obelisk.
Fun fact, since the usual spelling is Rod of Asclepius, the first result for that goes to the Assassin's Creed wiki.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Victar posted:

Who or what is that black bird with a cross neckalce? A representation of a medieval plague doctor?

Do I even want to know?

That's the leader of the church of science. In Sinfest there's a church of science that's led by a plague doctor and gives out free vaccines and food to anyone who wants it. They're presented as evil, but again the only thing we've seen them do is give out food and medicine to the needy.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

That's the leader of the church of science. In Sinfest there's a church of science that's led by a plague doctor and gives out free vaccines and food to anyone who wants it. They're presented as evil, but again the only thing we've seen them do is give out food and medicine to the needy.

To a fascist the worst thing you can do is give free stuff to the filthy parasites who produce nothing while stealing hard-earned resources from their betters.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Pants Donkey posted:

I think back in 2020 some nurses and other hospital staff did a dance video; I forget the full details but considering Ishida’s propensity for outdated references it fits.

That's absolutely cutting-edge for this thread, where the most-referenced TV show went off the air in 1968.

cant cook creole bream posted:

the usual spelling is Rod of Asclepius

That depends on which country you're in. :hist101:

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

:australia:

Broelman:

Australian children’s group the Wiggles top Triple J Hottest 100 (Guardian). "Version of Tame Impala’s song Elephant edges out the Kid Laroi and Justin Bieber in annual music poll".

Warren Brown:

Beijing’s brazen bid to 'censor' Scott Morrison (Daily Telegraph, paywalled). "In a ‘blatant’ act of political censorship, Prime Minister Scott Morrison’s account on a Chinese-owned social media site has been taken over and rebranded as a propaganda outfit."
Or for a non-paywalled version, Scott Morrison's social media page is HACKED and turned into a bizarre pro-China propaganda site in a 'blatant act of censorship at the hands of Beijing' (Daily Mail).

Downes:

Kudelka:

Lethbridge:

South-east Queensland mayors call for an end to the Queensland COVID check-in app (ABC).

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Gun control amirite?? :nallears:
I don't understand the metaphor: if the gun is the harmless and mild hand-crafted wooden club, then what is the far-deadlier and easily-accessible giant rock meant to symbolize? I feel like I'd have noticed if there were a more dangerous version of a gun that can be found lying around on the ground in the woods everywhere.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

...everybody knows the good guys lost. :leonardcohen:

EDIT - Should clarify that I'm referencing the second panel. You, under no circumstances, "gotta hand it" to Imperial Japan. gently caress you, Lethbridge.

After The War fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Jan 23, 2022

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

i racistly assume that every minority with a job didn't actually deserve the job, and it's really unfair to the minorities that the people giving them jobs force me to be racist, i have no choice in the matter
Conservatives loving love this line of thought. They fall back on it all the time. If affirmative action exists anywhere on earth, regardless of whether it's in the form of quotas (which they always assume), or even applicable to the company or institution in question, conservatives will assume that's the reason for any minority getting anything, ever. Hell even if affirmative action didn't exist they'd just say the same thing but blame "white guilt" or "SJW mindsets" or something.
A black person got the promotion instead of me? Obviously it was because they were black. That woman got hired over that man? Must be because she was a woman. Some uppity minority got accepted to the school over our proud straight white Aidynn? That's affirmative action!

They literally always assume it's affirmative action because in their mind a minority can never actually be the better choice. To them, a white person is always the best fit for any job or promotion, they're always the most qualified, because whites are better and to not choose that means that someone put their thumb on the scale. There can be no other reason. It betrays, nakedly, their opinion that whites are always better, and it's hilarious to see Garrison trying to project that as if it were the system's fault.

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...

Drakyn posted:

I don't understand the metaphor: if the gun is the harmless and mild hand-crafted wooden club, then what is the far-deadlier and easily-accessible giant rock meant to symbolize? I feel like I'd have noticed if there were a more dangerous version of a gun that can be found lying around on the ground in the woods everywhere.

Also a club would totally prevent a dude from sneaking up on you unaware and caving your skull in with a giant rock. :rolleyes:

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Drakyn posted:

Well you see, criminals have access to special Criminal Only stores where they can illegally buy things no matter how many laws are passed. That's what only law abiding citizens are ever affected by laws.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Vib Rib posted:

They literally always assume it's affirmative action because in their mind a minority can never actually be the better choice. To them, a white person is always the best fit for any job or promotion, they're always the most qualified, because whites are better and to not choose that means that someone put their thumb on the scale. There can be no other reason. It betrays, nakedly, their opinion that whites are always better, and it's hilarious to see Garrison trying to project that as if it were the system's fault.

Not only that, he's trying to speak for minorities in saying "Boy it most really bother them that they can't be sure if they got their job because of affirmative action. It must be terrible for them, if only we got rid of it it would ease their minds for sure." Like they're just straight up implying that even minorities know they're not as good as white people, and so they must feel so guilty about how they've taken a job from a much more deserving white man. Plus the hilarious idea that a black guy would go "I'd rather have not been hired for this job and be homeless and starving than have gotten this job through affirmative action!"

Jagged Jim posted:

Also a club would totally prevent a dude from sneaking up on you unaware and caving your skull in with a giant rock. :rolleyes:

Yeah even in the comic he drew it's a situation where the dude having a wooden club wouldn't help him at all. At best you could say "Yeah but maybe one of those cavemen in the foreground could use his wooden club to save that guy" but one, running up and hitting a guy holding a giant rock like that would cause him to drop the rock, which would kill the guy sitting down anyway. Two, they could help that guy right now even without wooden clubs because all they'd have to do is yell "Hey Thagg, run!"

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Jagged Jim posted:

Twelve by Pies posted:

Yeah even in the comic he drew it's a situation where the dude having a wooden club wouldn't help him at all. At best you could say "Yeah but maybe one of those cavemen in the foreground could use his wooden club to save that guy" but one, running up and hitting a guy holding a giant rock like that would cause him to drop the rock, which would kill the guy sitting down anyway. Two, they could help that guy right now even without wooden clubs because all they'd have to do is yell "Hey Thagg, run!"
What makes the whole rock thing even weirder is that clearly a guy who can lift a rock that size in that manner is superhuman and therefore unstoppable no matter what tools you deny him or bring to bear against him. Why is Tinsley - in all his swaggering disdain of effeminate pinko commielib weak-kneed manbunnery - trying to show his audience that criminals are so far beyond their hope of restraint that nothing can be done, only resign yourself to live or die at their whim? Sure doesn't sound like the kind of can-do all-American go-getter attitude he implores people to use when they're pulling themselves up by their bootstraps.

Drakyn fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Jan 24, 2022

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

Drakyn posted:

What makes the whole rock thing even weirder is that clearly a guy who can lift a rock that size in that manner is superhuman and therefore unstoppable no matter what tools you deny him or bring to bear against him. Why is Tinsley - in all his swaggering disdain of effeminate pinko commielib weak-kneed manbunnery - trying to show his audience that criminals are so far beyond their hope of restraint that nothing can be done, only resign yourself to live or die at their whim? Sure doesn't sound like the kind of can-do all-American go-getter attitude he implores people to use when they're pulling themselves up by their bootstraps.

There's another kind of criminal Tinsley hates and fears but usually he goes with a predator metaphor.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Twelve by Pies posted:

Not only that, he's trying to speak for minorities in saying "Boy it most really bother them that they can't be sure if they got their job because of affirmative action. It must be terrible for them, if only we got rid of it it would ease their minds for sure." Like they're just straight up implying that even minorities know they're not as good as white people, and so they must feel so guilty about how they've taken a job from a much more deserving white man. Plus the hilarious idea that a black guy would go "I'd rather have not been hired for this job and be homeless and starving than have gotten this job through affirmative action!"
Yeah I'd definitely rather have a slightly uneasy mind than no income. Especially when, according to all actual data on the subject, minorities have a much, much harder time of being hired, not easier, as people like Garrison want to pretend.

Raised By Birds
May 5, 2013
Clay Bennett

Steve Breen

Al Goodwyn

Just making sure there are no survivors.

Walt Handelsman

Clay Jones

Steve Kelley

Kevin Necessary

Michael Ramirez

Jeff Stahler

Tom Stiglich

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Anyone who steals from the Far Side should have their hand cut off.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

It is so weird that Ishida wants this running narrative but will just randomly drop whatever is going on because he saw a year-old youtube video about hospital staff dancing or just pivot into something another character is doing despite not being involved with the major ongoing story arc.

Like, it’s been two weeks now since 2021 died while escaping prison. We have literally no idea if the rest of them made it back safely, got caught, or you know did anything with literal corpse in their car. Instead we got a week dedicated to Uncle Sam dying and another week of reactions to his death with some unrelated stuff sprinkled in.

The only good news is that we’re in the last week of January and there’s been no comic about a baby 2022.

kartikeya
Mar 17, 2009

Kellies Nomination: worst caricature, because it's bad and because I had to look at it.

quote:

Steve Kelley

The Republicans are using the threat of the Woke Agenda to shape the midterms while happily ignoring those in dire need of help. Any promises they make will inevitably crumble and be washed away.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
RUNED?

Nameless Pete fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Jan 24, 2022

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Reminder: nominations for the 2021 Kellies close February 7th.
Read the 2021 thread for candidates and place your nominations in the nominations thread. So far we've only got one set of additional nominations, but tbf we have like three hundred from the previous year's thread, so I'm not lacking for candidates - but if you want to be sure a cartoon is in the running, please nominate it.

Additionally, I need volunteers to help get wiki sours up to date. Let me know if you can help with adding material to the wiki; there's a lot of data entry to do, but individuals can tackle even a part of one page and make a huge difference. Participants who help out will get a free forums upgrade of your choice.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Some racist horseshit I found while looking for funny comics:

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Wow god drat

E: well it seems that is from a website called
occidentaldissent.com which far as I can tell is a literal nazi website. We're looking at A Wyatt Mann levels of racist cartoons here.

Microplastics fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Jan 24, 2022

Matlack Radio
Jun 2, 2006

RUMEN

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

By popular demand posted:

Some racist horseshit I found while looking for funny comics:

I was going to criticize the author and their ilk for never having read a history book, but honestly this is somewhere the US Education system fails spectacularly. Africa is described exclusively as "the place slaves came from" and I don't think once ever did anyone mention the spectacular civilizations that have existed throughout history.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

People should learn about Mansa Musa, the king who's Hajj was so opulent it ruined many kingdoms' economy.
People love hearing about bling.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

People should learn about Mansa Musa, the king who's Hajj was so opulent it ruined many kingdoms' economy.

I watched a video by Jacob Geller and he talks about the kingdom of Benin that had huge walls and highways lined in probably the first examples of streetlights.

Racism is just so boring
Just makes you close off your brain to everything that doesnt give your race a handy jay

:preacher:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

I'll take any excuse to plug this podcast

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfUT6LhBBYs

(the story of Mansa Musa is but a sidenote in the episode but I don't care, it's all good)