Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Same, that’s how I usually estimate it.
The malls around where I grew up (NEOhio) held on to those dingy ‘70s earth-tones well into the ‘80s and didn’t fully overhaul their looks until the early-mid ‘90s, adopting this bland suburban neutral aesthetic: pastel accents dominated by white or, if they were feeling spicy, off-white. Like someone’s half-assed attempt to emulate Martha Stewart Living in 1991

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Yeah, this is my memory as well. At least in Western NY, things shifted from 70s brown to Laura Ashley flowers/Martha Stewart beige with very little abstract neon in between.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

KHLAV KALASHNIKOV posted:

The malls around where I grew up (NEOhio)

That makes northeast ohio sound like a neon-drenched cyberpunk megalopolis, which is way too cool for Cleveland. Please stop using this term.

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

KHLAV KALASHNIKOV posted:

The malls around where I grew up (NEOhio) held on to those dingy ‘70s earth-tones well into the ‘80s and didn’t fully overhaul their looks until the early-mid ‘90s, adopting this bland suburban neutral aesthetic: pastel accents dominated by white or, if they were feeling spicy, off-white. Like someone’s half-assed attempt to emulate Martha Stewart Living in 1991

My town built a 'modern' style mall that opened in 93 or 94 so we didn't have to drive all the way to Saginaw; just in time for malls to start their decline into the amazon midden heap by the 2000's.

CtrlAltDeath
Oct 24, 2003

Your bra bomb better work, Nerdlinger!
A while back I stayed in an AirBnb with this nostalgia bomb of a basement. Just the smell alone instantly took me back to my childhood...if there had been an NES and tiny TV in the corner I would have lost my mind.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

chaoticgeek posted:

A while back I stayed in an AirBnb with this nostalgia bomb of a basement. Just the smell alone instantly took me back to my childhood...if there had been an NES and tiny TV in the corner I would have lost my mind.

I'm the sex harness

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

flavor.flv posted:

That makes northeast ohio sound like a neon-drenched cyberpunk megalopolis, which is way too cool for Cleveland. Please stop using this term.

Maybe not but it’s nevertheless a toxic dystopia so idc

Sekhmnet posted:

just in time for malls to start their decline into the amazon midden heap by the 2000's.

The major mall that we all went to (or rather its cursed resting place) is now an Amazon distribution hub

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

chaoticgeek posted:

Fuckin lol that lino

Like, I'm pretty sure that was in the kitchen of the first house I remember living in, but also I think it's buried under the engineered hardwood they slapped down in the place I'm in now

(both built right around the same time)

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Imagined posted:

Yeah maybe it's because I'm from flyover country and it took a few years for culture to filter out to here back then, but all the vaporwave A E S T H E T I C stuff screams 1989-1992 to me.

the vaporwave neon memphis school stuff is just what is most interesting to people nowadays. as noted, the real 80s is warmed over dank 70s earth tones and wood paneling, or the endless beige and geometric forms heralding the 90s, glass block and black/white lineoleum

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Iron Crowned posted:

Everyone remembers the neon and other "80's style" poo poo, but that stuff happens later in the decade, the first part is an extension of the 70's, so you get the wood paneling and red/yellow/brown skewed earth tones that were all the rage for houses built during that time.

Yea, they'd only have the bright neon "80s" style if they were built/renovated in the mid 80s. Any earlier, and you were in brown town.

Though i also remember the 80s house fashion was floral patterns, especially tropical, and pastels.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Let's not forget this icon of style:

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
As with everything 70’s/80’s, the wood is strong with this photo.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Gonz posted:

As with everything 70’s/80’s, the wood is strong with this photo.

I can smell this room right now.

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

"I want to break your heart💔 and give you mine🫀"

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I can smell this room right now.

mmmmmmm cigarettes and dot matrix ribbon

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
The wood grain floppy disk files. I'd be playing a shitload of Wastelands in that picture.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Iron Crowned posted:

Everyone remembers the neon and other "80's style" poo poo, but that stuff happens later in the decade, the first part is an extension of the 70's, so you get the wood paneling and red/yellow/brown skewed earth tones that were all the rage for houses built during that time.

And there were many spaces dominated by some even older aesthetic. Grandma's house, for example.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Groke posted:

And there were many spaces dominated by some even older aesthetic. Grandma's house, for example.

My grandfather's house had kitchen appliances and tupperware matched in harvest gold and avacado green until at least the year 2000.

The green fridge still lives on in the garage.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Ugh stepfathers’ lair.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Imagined posted:

I noticed they put a bench swing on the side by the door now. Someone is definitely living in the Pizza Hut.

I'm at the Pizza Hut/I'm at the place I dwell/I'm at the combination Pizza Hut and place I dwell.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Mr. Fall Down Terror posted:

the vaporwave neon memphis school stuff is just what is most interesting to people nowadays. as noted, the real 80s is warmed over dank 70s earth tones and wood paneling, or the endless beige and geometric forms heralding the 90s, glass block and black/white lineoleum

What's interesting to me about the vaporwave stuff is how much of it seemed to me like an echo of a 50s surf aesthetic, which was massive in the 80s. I don't really remember the 80s that well since I was 6 when they ended, but the cultural lag of 2-3 years the UK had meant that diner style restaurants, shows like Saved By The Bell, Back to the Future, even Rude Dog and The Dweebs and various other things loved that Candy Apple Red Chevrolet and Surf Green Fender Jazzmaster look. Even Twin Peaks had elements of this. Hell, the first record I remember buying as a little kid was a re-release of Reet Petite by Jackie Wilson.

There was definitely an eggshell white and grey corporate aesthetic around too, but a lot of consumer trends seemed heavily driven by boomer nostalgia, just as current ones are driven by elder millenial nostalgia giving way to early 90s grunge and Nickelodeon revivals, which itself had a lot of postmodern camp satirising 50s Americana.

Which is to say, the vaporwave trend (or perhaps more the synthwave one since vaporwave draws heavily on corporate and consumerist alienation) feels like an echo of an echo.

Disco Pope has a new favorite as of 16:01 on Feb 15, 2022

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
Edit: quote/edit goof

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Groke posted:

Just think, that 2010's aesthetic you're currently curating will one day be declared "Grandma's house"

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Disco Pope posted:

What's interesting to me about the vaporwave stuff is how much of it seemed to me like an echo of a 50s surf aesthetic, which was massive in the 80s.

You can probably draw a straight line from the 80s, through the 50s, to the Streamline Moderne aesthetic of the 30s - all curves and streamlined shapes in white and pastel colours.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Sweevo posted:

You can probably draw a straight line from the 80s, through the 50s, to the Streamline Moderne aesthetic of the 30s - all curves and streamlined shapes in white and pastel colours.
Right. A bunch of my grandma's house looked like a set from Golden Girls. Soft pastels, florals, off-white formica dinette set, etc. Still 80s AF, but didn't look like Miami Vice.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

I picked up an early 80s Service Merchandise catalog from the thrift shop a while back and really need to post scans, every single page has one of the universal Grandma's House items. Harvest Gold Corelle. The brown libbey glasses. That woodgrained red 8-segment alarm clock radio (holy gently caress that thing was expensive)

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
My parents had a Harvest Butterfly Gold Corelle set with a few pieces of Snowflake Blue in the 80's

In the mid-90's that set got replaced with Optic

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Sweevo posted:

Yeah, definitely! I never considered the 30s angle, but I can see that.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

1930s bus station. Make the windows bigger and add a neon sign and it could quite easily be a 50s diner.

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

House my family moved into when I was about five had two bathrooms, one was Avocado Green and the other was Harvest Gold. Popcorn ceiling in the living room too.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Disco Pope posted:

Which is to say, the vaporwave trend (or perhaps more the synthwave one since vaporwave draws heavily on corporate and consumerist alienation) feels like an echo of an echo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f021EEy9B08&t=91s

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Disco Pope posted:

I'm at the Pizza Hut/I'm at the place I dwell/I'm at the combination Pizza Hut and place I dwell.

:dudsmile: :five:

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Disco Pope posted:

I once had an apartment directly above a delivery/takeout only Pizza Hut. That 'freshly baked bread' smell wafting upstairs every day was a treat. Also nice to be able to get a large pizza for cheap and make it last a couple of days.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Queen-Of-Hearts posted:

mmmmmmm cigarettes and dot matrix ribbon

And hot dust and static electricity from the monitor. And the smell of that heavy-duty plastic that all computer parts were made from in the early 80s.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

I once had an apartment directly above a delivery/takeout only Pizza Hut. That 'freshly baked bread' smell wafting upstairs every day was a treat. Also nice to be able to get a large pizza for cheap and make it last a couple of days.

I worked a video store/ Dominoes adjacent. 8 hour shifts alone no breaks bullshit. Eventually worked out a deal, all the left over school personal pizzas for poo poo grass weed I used to sling

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

a sexual elk posted:

I worked a video store/ Dominoes adjacent. 8 hour shifts alone no breaks bullshit. Eventually worked out a deal, all the left over school personal pizzas for poo poo grass weed I used to sling

oh man, remember brick weed....ugh

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Sit there picking out seeds and stems for half an hour before you can even roll a J, and even then still somehow have a seed or two pop on you while you're smoking.

Also spending a whole evening trying to find one person who has any they can sell you, then waiting for hours to meet them in some parking lot, sweating the whole time you're going to get busted, or worse, have to go to their house and play the game of exactly how long you're supposed to hang out with them to pretend like you'd even talk to them at all if they didn't sell weed.

But this isn't post your LEAST favorite things that were still true until like 3 years ago...

God it's amazing to just want some weed and go to the weed store and buy some weed and go home.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

What wizardry is this!?

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

Imagined posted:

Sit there picking out seeds and stems for half an hour before you can even roll a J, and even then still somehow have a seed or two pop on you while you're smoking.

Also spending a whole evening trying to find one person who has any they can sell you, then waiting for hours to meet them in some parking lot, sweating the whole time you're going to get busted, or worse, have to go to their house and play the game of exactly how long you're supposed to hang out with them to pretend like you'd even talk to them at all if they didn't sell weed.

But this isn't post your LEAST favorite things that were still true until like 3 years ago...

God it's amazing to just want some weed and go to the weed store and buy some weed and go home.

Reminds me of this bit from Tom Segura
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zS6QylTbBhY

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Iron Crowned posted:

Just think, that 2010's aesthetic you're currently curating will one day be declared "Grandma's house"

Yeah, or it will be a mildly chaotic hodgepodge of stuff from between the 1990s and whenever they move me into an assisted living facility. Depends on whether it's mostly my wife's influence or my own.

My own grandma was born in 1907, had her kids between 1937 and 1947 (my dad being youngest of four)... even today we still sometimes stay in her house (nobody has lived there for years now but it's kept by the extended family as a vacation house) and it's full of all kinds of stuff from between the 1920s and 1980s, mostly. Not exactly a unified aesthetic but definitely what I associate with "Grandma".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Gromit posted:

What wizardry is this!?

I don't know about you but the reason I can't make a large pizza last for a couple days is because I'm a fat bag of poo poo.