Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Sakurazuka posted:

Ekum bokum

Eyup. Bree!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Pendragon posted:

You get that “everyone is right” bullshit out of here. You find your hill and you DIE ON IT.

Word. Who wants to join me on the "Banjo-Kazooie music is good" hill? I'll bring cookies!

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

I don't like it because imo there's too much to collect. I like the amount of poo poo in Super Mario 3d world. That's the right about of poo poo for me. Anyway I hope everyone has fun playing videogames I'm going to lose fifteen games of splatoon in a row now.

I think it's a good amount of stuff to collect, I just wish the notes weren't quite so punishing. You have to collect them all in one go, or else your progress is reset if you leave the level or die. The XBox re-releases fixed that, but we're still on the old busted note system here. That's the only thing I would change. That alone would make the engine room of Rusty Bucket Bay a WHOLE lot less anus clenching, Jesus.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
Was there an obvious move on here that didn't involve deduction?

I worked out the 3 on the 1 3 row had to end there as otherwise it lead to there being a 2 in column 8. But that always feels wrong to have to be doing that level of deduction. Also I rarely find them!

Picross S7 puzzle 58.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Trucker Hat
Jul 25, 2021
e: no wait

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

Column 6. The dot you placed can be the two or the final one. There should be an x two below it.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

MatchaZed posted:

Column 6. The dot you placed can be the two or the final one. There should be an x two below it.

Yeah, that's pretty much it. I can mostly solve it visually from there.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Sad Panda posted:

Was there an obvious move on here that didn't involve deduction?

I worked out the 3 on the 1 3 row had to end there as otherwise it lead to there being a 2 in column 8. But that always feels wrong to have to be doing that level of deduction. Also I rarely find them!

Picross S7 puzzle 58.

Also something small I've been checking in puzzles recently, that doesn't always add up to much but has helped: the 4 in the first column cant be in the first available row you have there (the 1 1) since if it was, then the next column would have
X
O
X

Which goes against the clue of the 2...if that makes sense.

The greatest level of deduction I ever perform is 'if I put something here will anything be hosed up immediately' which seems to be enough, at least for all the puzzles I've gone through in S4 (all up the the last ten puzzles or so)

Morpheus fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Jan 23, 2022

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Morpheus posted:

Also something small I've been checking in puzzles recently, that doesn't always add up to much but has helped: the 4 in the first column cant be in the first available row you have there (the 1 1) since if it was, then the next column would have
X
O
X

The greatest level of deduction I ever perform is 'if I put something here will anything be hosed up immediately' which seems to be enough, at least for all the puzzles I've gone through in S4 (all up the the last ten puzzles or so)

I'm not following; why couldn't the 2 in the next column just be down further?

Edit: nevermind, I got it now, of course. The row down below it is what I was forgetting to take into consideration.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Silver Falcon posted:

Word. Who wants to join me on the "Banjo-Kazooie music is good" hill? I'll bring cookies!

I think it's a good amount of stuff to collect, I just wish the notes weren't quite so punishing. You have to collect them all in one go, or else your progress is reset if you leave the level or die. The XBox re-releases fixed that, but we're still on the old busted note system here. That's the only thing I would change. That alone would make the engine room of Rusty Bucket Bay a WHOLE lot less anus clenching, Jesus.

Nintendo Switch: Clenching my anus in Rusty Bucket Bay

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

Rocket Pan posted:

I mean they could, but it wouldn't be a great way to play the game. :v:
However ultimately while in theory Nintendo could (assuming the emulator is up to the task), they would need to talk to the rights holders. Nintendo can't just publish third party ROMs without asking to the best of my understanding, as the publishing contract would have only applied to the real N64 and for cartridge sale and distribution, not a subscription service.
For the record, no we wouldn't be involved in that discussion if it happened.

:negative:
Thanks for answering, thankfully I still have my cart but these days its really hard to get people around for couch multiplayer.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
I've been trying to go through older game purchases that I never beat so I went back in my catalogue and re-started Battle Chef Brigade after buying it in uhh 2018 and it was actually a really fun puzzle game. The gameplay is simple, you have to hunt monster for parts that you cook in a match 3 style minigame, using abilities and equipment to add modifiers to make things easier or trigger types of combos. Each round is focused on meeting the judge criteria (they want certain "flavors" to be highlighted) and using the challenge item (a specific food type, usually a monster but sometimes a fruit or vegetable) to score higher than your challenger. I enjoyed my 15 or so hours with it and there's online and challenge modes for people who like that kind of stuff. I actually think a DnD type game set in this world would be fun, enchanted cooking equipment and monster themed dishes just speak to me in a strange way.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Morpheus posted:

X
O
X

For the record, this style of deduction is never required for Nintendo’s picross stuff, although obviously it’s still valid.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

Snake Maze posted:

For the record, this style of deduction is never required for Nintendo’s picross stuff, although obviously it’s still valid.

That's why I figured I'd missed something as it was only using that deduction that I could finish it. It was the missing bit on column 6.

Thanks for all the advice! Up to the 87th puzzle of the day.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

nintendo video games

The Postman
May 12, 2007

slingo on the nintendo switch (free with NSO expansion)

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Google Butt posted:

nintendo video games

VIDEO GAMES!?!

OH BOY!

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

its 4:20pm and I'm getting cracked out the wazoo on coffee for a Tetris effect session

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I just played a few hours of Screen Cheat and holy poo poo, that's some goofy fun. You're all invisible, running around a very colourful map in first person, and through screen-cheating, you try and take out the other players. Silly levels, silly weapons (blunderbuss, as well as a literal hobby horse with a wooden sword), and silly ragdoll figures (you see them when you die or at the end of every match), plus a ton of game modes and mutators, all unlocked with XP that's earned as you play the game. The more players = more XP gained.

And the unlocks come out of a piñata that you shoot the hell out of, which drops 2 new things every leave (any combination of map, game mode, mutator, and skin).

The game is really fun, and I believe on Switch it's local only. The steam one probably does online, though. I assume you all get the same screen with all 4 viewpoints.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Google Butt posted:

nintendo video games

nintendo love hotels

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I don’t have a Nintendo Switch but I’m awfully tempted to get one, am I okay settling for a readily-available $300 stock version or should I hold out for the less-available and slightly more expensive OLED version?

If it makes a difference, I do the majority of my gaming sitting on my couch, on my big screen 4K TV. Being able to go handheld with a Switch sounds cool but I’m not sure how much I’ll utilize it.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

If you’re not going handheld at least half the time there’s no upside to the OLED Switch.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Yup if you're mostly on the TV avoid OLED

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I’ll dissent and say that I’m the type of person who really enjoys having nice stuff, and while 70% of my switch gaming is on TV, the OLED screen is amazing for gaming in bed and the extra battery life has been amazing. It’s already a pretty major purchase, why not just future proof it and get the nicest one?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Bust Rodd posted:

I’ll dissent and say that I’m the type of person who really enjoys having nice stuff, and while 70% of my switch gaming is on TV, the OLED screen is amazing for gaming in bed and the extra battery life has been amazing. It’s already a pretty major purchase, why not just future proof it and get the nicest one?
In that case, are there retailers carrying it? I was poking around on some shopping apps (Amazon, Target, Walmart, Best Buy) and it appears to be sold out. I’m sure as poo poo not going to pay scalper prices, I’ll just get the base model if it comes to that.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Call around locally that’s how I got mine

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
While I have no opinion regarding the normal switch versus the SWOLED and everyone should make their own decisions regarding differences that may or may not exist, the SWOLED isn't very difficult to find. They show up regularly and stock doesn't instantaneously sell out. Unless it does. I can not state anything in the affirmative or negative regarding the topic.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Bust Rodd posted:

What is there to future proof with? It's a Switch with a better screen

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

Yeah the extra battery life compared to the launch model is the normal $300 version as well. The differences between it and the OLED are the better build quality and the screen, neither of which you'll notice if you're docked 100% of the time. The OLED version also has 64GB internal storage instead of 32GB, but you'll probably end up getting a bigger SD card which will negate that as well.

The OLED dock is also more solid and I think nicer looking, the built in Ethernet port is convenient as well.

If you're not strapped for cash and an extra $50 isn't an issue the OLED is nice for sure. Who knows, maybe you will find yourself using it handheld more than you'd think.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Xenomrph posted:

If it makes a difference, I do the majority of my gaming sitting on my couch, on my big screen 4K TV. Being able to go handheld with a Switch sounds cool but I’m not sure how much I’ll utilize it.

There's been many people who didn't think they'd use the switch handheld but end up spending a lot of time with it in bed, on the sofa while someone else watches TV, on flights etc, and you've already waited 5 years to get one so why not wait another few days or weeks to get the best version you can

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

There is a basic GO game for 1.99 just released. Buy it and fight me (I’m bad)

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

I've been trying to go through older game purchases that I never beat so I went back in my catalogue and re-started Battle Chef Brigade after buying it in uhh 2018 and it was actually a really fun puzzle game. The gameplay is simple, you have to hunt monster for parts that you cook in a match 3 style minigame, using abilities and equipment to add modifiers to make things easier or trigger types of combos. Each round is focused on meeting the judge criteria (they want certain "flavors" to be highlighted) and using the challenge item (a specific food type, usually a monster but sometimes a fruit or vegetable) to score higher than your challenger. I enjoyed my 15 or so hours with it and there's online and challenge modes for people who like that kind of stuff. I actually think a DnD type game set in this world would be fun, enchanted cooking equipment and monster themed dishes just speak to me in a strange way.

Look up something called Dragon Stew. It could use a bit more depth to it's mecha ics, but it's basically this.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
its hard for me to even figure out what the OLED upgrades because I went straight from the lite to it, but its crazy how bad the lite speaker sounds by comparison now. Metroid dread is a game I never really put much thought into how it sounds and now I'm playing it on the OLED it sounds amazing even in handheld mode. Great atmospheric music, great sound effects, monster sounds are really cool. I also am basically relearning how to play metroid dread because I put it down for like two months after getting the spin boost and I have just completely forgotten how any of the kit works but I'm having a blast. I played a few games on the lite and I immediately listed it on fb marketplace afterwards.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Edit: speaking of music that doesn't quite fit the rest of a soundtrack (well, someone mentioned that here, in this hell thread), this is my favourite Kirby song and it's a stark contrast from the rest of this game's OST, as well as literally any other Kirby song.

This is one of my favorite Kirby songs, and likewise it's very different from the rest of the game's OST, as well as other Kirby music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksQdgmQ-Ps4

And I will take this moment to point out that Epic Yarn has the best Kirby OST.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Xenomrph posted:

In that case, are there retailers carrying it? I was poking around on some shopping apps (Amazon, Target, Walmart, Best Buy) and it appears to be sold out. I’m sure as poo poo not going to pay scalper prices, I’ll just get the base model if it comes to that.

I don’t know if you’re US, but I just called GameStops in my area every few days until one of them was like “yeah we got them”. I think it was like maybe a week between wanting one and getting one, and that was in November. You can just ask the manager when they get their shipments in, they don’t have any reason to hide the info or lie.

Also I don’t wanna understate the build quality. Holding a first Gen Switch in one hand and a OLED switch in the other, one feels like a plastic child’s toy and one feels like a piece of hardware. I never used the kickstand in 3 years of Switch ownership but the NEW kickstand has me busting out Mario Kart all over the drat place, basically any time me and two people are in a room and have 10 minutes to kill.

EDIT Monday 1 AM

https://twitter.com/wario64/status/1485376575956668416?s=21

Here’s a link to OLED switches, good luck!!!

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Jan 24, 2022

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

I bet you get invited to all the rooftop parties

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

I can't rec Huntdown for coop enough

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I finally tried Mario golf super rush with the motion controls and I don't understand why every time the game goes to a menu it asks me to reconnect the controller. Fuckin maddening.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Someone mentioned earlier that the new Tetris 99 theme was bad. I actually kind of liked the music. It's not great for Tetris, but the first track has some real BotW piano vibes. The other two tracks are decent remixes of classic Pokémon tracks. The theme is nothing special, but glad I got it. Took me some 5 matches. Got Top 5 a couple times, and otherwise top 10 or top 20 (once 21...).

Tetris 99 still good.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I just played a few hours of Screen Cheat and holy poo poo, that's some goofy fun. You're all invisible, running around a very colourful map in first person, and through screen-cheating, you try and take out the other players. Silly levels, silly weapons (blunderbuss, as well as a literal hobby horse with a wooden sword), and silly ragdoll figures (you see them when you die or at the end of every match), plus a ton of game modes and mutators, all unlocked with XP that's earned as you play the game. The more players = more XP gained.

And the unlocks come out of a piñata that you shoot the hell out of, which drops 2 new things every leave (any combination of map, game mode, mutator, and skin).

The game is really fun, and I believe on Switch it's local only. The steam one probably does online, though. I assume you all get the same screen with all 4 viewpoints.

That sounds like a lot of fun.

To be bad I don't have any friends around! :negative:

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Finished Banjo Kazooie yesterday and boy howdy there was a lot of racism and body shaming in this game for children.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Someone mentioned earlier that the new Tetris 99 theme was bad. I actually kind of liked the music. It's not great for Tetris, but the first track has some real BotW piano vibes. The other two tracks are decent remixes of classic Pokémon tracks. The theme is nothing special, but glad I got it. Took me some 5 matches. Got Top 5 a couple times, and otherwise top 10 or top 20 (once 21...).

Tetris 99 still good.

That sounds like a lot of fun.

To be bad I don't have any friends around! :negative:

I mentioned the Tetris99 theme was bad, but I was only referring to the visuals; near the bottom of the playing field, it's kind of difficult, at least for me, to easily discern where my piece is going to land. I usually get it right but it's not AS immediate and contrasting as the Splatoon, SMB, DK, LoZ, or Gameboy themes are.

Also, I played Screen Cheat with my sons (7 and 4 years old) and still had a blast. My 7yo is surprisingly adept at it.