Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Teaching an AI to identify michael bay movies by a frame-by-frame analysis of the orange:blue content

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

smarxist posted:

i wept like a teary bitch through the Derry scene of the JFK book, it was so loving sweet and well done

edit:
a lot of people took umbrage with SK threading all his works together, i thought it was fun as hell, aside from the really excessive self-inserting into Dark Tower. any time BANGO SKANK or any other easter egg stuff would happen i'd hoot and holler like a trained monkey

Also would come commala big big at other references, say thankya.

Gan was already everywhere in his work. It made sense. Some of it forced but most of it just fit

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
watching the HITB about Ghostbusters Afterlife and :hmmyes:ing a lot, one thing Rich said that was interesting to me was the scene of the Ecto-1 driving around looking awesome because it has such a cool iconic design, and here's this "new" movie referencing the old iconic design and picking up and trucking in these iconic images but not creating anything "new" so where is the "new"?

the last film i could think of that really pushed the envelope on culture and captured a lot of iconic imagery and pushed it out into the world to me is The Matrix

i mean MCU and DCU are just spinning the hits from the cold war era, imagery and all, and that has been basically all we've had since the millennia

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот

smarxist posted:

i wept like a teary bitch through the Derry scene of the JFK book, it was so loving sweet and well done

edit:
a lot of people took umbrage with SK threading all his works together, i thought it was fun as hell, aside from the really excessive self-inserting into Dark Tower. any time BANGO SKANK or any other easter egg stuff would happen i'd hoot and holler like a trained monkey

yeah the dark tower stuff went overboard but I overlook it because I did stupid things after I got hosed up real bad too and if all I did was write a huge bestseller with a few dorky plot points in it i'd be a lot better off, at this point the harry potter poo poo in book 5 has aged worse than his self-insert

the derry part of 11/22/63 was really great yes, and I'm a sucker for time travel so I was in the bag for it early, I just try not to gush too much over something I know is my personal extreme junk food reading

now i'm probably going to end up reading dark tower again because it's so easy and lets me read Insomnia too

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Also would come commala big big at other references, say thankya.

Gan was already everywhere in his work. It made sense. Some of it forced but most of it just fit

Kamala Big Big

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

smarxist posted:

i read dreamcatcher cover to cover (big SK fan) and i honestly couldn't tell you much more about it than "duddits"

shitweasels

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Michael Bay seems a funny one since if anything his style is what the mainstream blockbuster machine has been trying to emulate.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Michael Bay seems a funny one since if anything his style is what the mainstream blockbuster machine has been trying to emulate.
This means he’s a super auteur, being able to not just resist the will of Hollywood but dominate it.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

smarxist posted:

edit:
I think its okay as long as theyre more vague, like how salems lot will get mentioned as "that weird town where everyone disappeared" but i wouldnt like a book to just randomly go to salems lot for no reason

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Zvahl posted:

yeah the dark tower stuff went overboard but I overlook it because I did stupid things after I got hosed up real bad too and if all I did was write a huge bestseller with a few dorky plot points in it i'd be a lot better off, at this point the harry potter poo poo in book 5 has aged worse than his self-insert

the derry part of 11/22/63 was really great yes, and I'm a sucker for time travel so I was in the bag for it early, I just try not to gush too much over something I know is my personal extreme junk food reading

now i'm probably going to end up reading dark tower again because it's so easy and lets me read Insomnia too

Kamala Big Big

I kind of missed the Harry Potter phenomenon until pretty late so that didn’t stand out to me when I read it but yeah I can’t imagine it holds up. Honestly, that entire book was super weird with the whole ruined twins and such a letdown after the third and fourth. By the time I got to the self insert I was honestly just going off of completionist fumes. The sticking the thing in the locker of twin towers was a stand out too. Not intentionally but I guess I gave up on SK after the last three in the series, haven’t read anything by him since with the exception of that DT side story he put out a while back

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
i thought he stayed pretty good after Dark Tower

Duma Key was a stand out great book, also 11/22/63 is amazing

edit:
we'll never get anything like The Regulators again, sigh

smarxist has issued a correction as of 17:54 on Jan 23, 2022

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

smarxist posted:

I believe you and maybe I’ll check those two out. It wasn’t really intentional I think I was just so turned off by especially the sixth DT book I kind of stopped reading him. I guess my memory is a bit foggy but even the 7th and the side story picked up from the 6th. That one just left a really bad taste I can’t explain

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Zack Snyder has hundreds of thousands to millions of people pestering WB to give him complete control, none of these other great artists have that

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
a snyderswarm

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот

HashtagGirlboss posted:

I believe you and maybe I’ll check those two out. It wasn’t really intentional I think I was just so turned off by especially the sixth DT book I kind of stopped reading him. I guess my memory is a bit foggy but even the 7th and the side story picked up from the 6th. That one just left a really bad taste I can’t explain

yeah definitely read 11/22/63 it's one of his strongest in a lot of ways and is just fun time travel

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

smarxist posted:

edit:
we'll never get anything like The Regulators again, sigh
havent read those but his detective trilogy was really bad

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
thats a bunch of bullshit that jennifer connelly no longer on snowpiercer, that stonecold fox was one of the main reasons I was watching.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
i cry every day because jennfier connelly lost weight

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Nonsense posted:

Zack Snyder has hundreds of thousands to millions of people pestering WB to give him complete control, none of these other great artists have that

Snyder Enjoyers are a family - warm, embracing, and willing to fight like hell for one another.

Snyder Haters are more akin to goblins.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
i dare anyone to try andd watch Sucker Punch

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

how could she lose weight she was already as skinny as a rail

btw this was what i found when i tried to search for jennifer connelly fat

quote:

I trembled a bit seeing the naked behind of Jennifer Connelly’s body double— most likely, as she was underage — and enjoyed the adrenaline boost from the many of the movie’s violent scenes.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

smarxist posted:

Like most of Zack's movies, the director's cut is much better.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
isn't Snyder the one who came up with the idea for Sucker Punch and wrote the screenplay and directed it? it seems like it's already his director's cut

lol but according to wikipedia people want him to #releasethesnyderpunch:

quote:

#ReleaseTheSnyderPunch movement campaign

Snyder has stated that the extended cut of Sucker Punch isn't his desired version of the film, but complications over film rights make it uncertain as to whether or not his director's cut could ever be released.[82][83][84]

snyder fandom is sad

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

you're gonna bust a nut when you hear what ridley scott's got going on with blade runner

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
whenever i sit on the toilet, i am about to release a snyder cut

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

if it takes four hours you should really see a doctor

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

smarxist posted:

i mean MCU and DCU are just spinning the hits from the cold war era, imagery and all, and that has been basically all we've had since the millennia

Snyders DC stuff is more about the post 9/11 era, if anything

smarxist posted:

I did, It's a film making GBS threads on Joss Whedons brand of exploitative feminism years before he got revealed as a sexpest, it owns

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
if you read Stephen king books you’re not allowed to complain about the MCU any more

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
i don't poo poo on it, just sneer at it from my superior nerd tower

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

smarxist posted:

i don't poo poo on it, just sneer at it from my superior nerd tower

it’s worse cause of how much sus stuff you’re apparently ok with

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
I mean at least the stephen king books are all written by one cokehead freak with an actual worldview. rather than the marvel movies which were all written by a committee of corporate nonhumans

King books are too cheesy though

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

McCloud posted:

I did, It's a film making GBS threads on Joss Whedons brand of exploitative feminism years before he got revealed as a sexpest, it owns

i can see taking that away from it, but i just remember being incredibly bored while watching it

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Casey Finnigan posted:

I mean at least the stephen king books are all written by one cokehead freak with an actual worldview.

who cares

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005
Somebody should make the sucker punch movie the commercial promised.

'Real world' rear end girls are zapped into steam punk final fantasy.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

indigi posted:

who cares

something written by a person who has something to say is more interesting to read or watch than something written by a committee to make money and nothing else

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Casey Finnigan posted:

something written by a person who has something to say is more interesting to read or watch than something written by a committee to make money and nothing else

it’s not

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011
i love Stephen king and have read much more of his stuff than I care to admit, but frankly a lot of it is pretty by-the-numbers, even in his coked out days. there's a reason everyone makes fun of him for having all of his protagonists be fiction writers who live in Maine. after his car accident, he did start to push the boundaries on genre a little more, which I appreciate, but it's also not that great.

generally I find his short stories to be miles better than most of his novels, although I like the shining a lot. never really got the love for The Stand; it has some really great highlights but mostly it's just loooong

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Stephen King is a weirdo lib but he writes a good story.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

josh04 posted:

i've become increasingly efficient

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

mazzi Chart Czar posted:

Somebody should make the sucker punch movie the commercial promised.

'Real world' rear end girls are zapped into steam punk final fantasy.

I'm sure there's an isekai out there that does just that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

josh04 posted:

lol