Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

Re: Jedi stuff

In some games the Jedi absolutely manipulate minds/strip Force powers from people who don't follow the council's wishes. Granted, that's stuff that wasn't written until well after the prequels and generally ends as badly as one would expect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I liked the intermediate period between the Original Trilogy and the Prequels where the Sith didn't exist outside of some throwaway reference to Vader being a Dark Lord of the Sith in a novelisation so all the evil Jedi in media before that were "Dark Jedi" or something along those lines

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

FreudianSlippers posted:

I liked the intermediate period between the Original Trilogy and the Prequels where the Sith didn't exist outside of some throwaway reference to Vader being a Dark Lord of the Sith in a novelisation so all the evil Jedi in media before that were "Dark Jedi" or something along those lines

Isn't that what Dooku is? He's not Sith. But yes I know what you mean.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Roblo posted:

And there where at least some old EU/now called Legends stuff that also had Dark Jedi that were using the Dark Side but weren't Sith.. Though I can't remember if any of those were before Phantom Menace where they said Sith are always in groups of two.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Sith are entirely a post prequel invention.

Original Trilogy Vader and Emperor were just corrupted Jedi.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

FreudianSlippers posted:

Original Trilogy Vader and Emperor were just corrupted Jedi.

No? Sith was first used in relatively late scripts for the first movie (and still made it into the novelization) and Phantom Menace used the word freely.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Yeah I distinctly remember reading in my school library in like, '93 about Sith and Anakin getting his poo poo wrecked in a lava planet

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Tales of the Jedi is apparently from 93 and also name drops Sith a bunch

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Len posted:

Tales of the Jedi is apparently from 93 and also name drops Sith a bunch

Star wars has been dumb for a very long time

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames

Improbable Lobster posted:

Star wars has been dumb for literally forever I can't believe people enjoy this crap

Chloe Jessica
Nov 6, 2021
Pick 2.0
laser sword fights are cool ok :saddowns:

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
i liked those first three, they had fun lasers and space ships and robots

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
It's an amazing fictional universe, populated with great characters and terrible writing.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Baron von Eevl posted:

No? Sith was first used in relatively late scripts for the first movie (and still made it into the novelization) and Phantom Menace used the word freely.

Yeah but before the Phantom Menace Sith was a niche term loosely used in a couple of novelisations.

Basically the Sith/Jedi dichotomy was a prequel invention.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

FreudianSlippers posted:

Yeah but before the Phantom Menace Sith was a niche term loosely used in a couple of novelisations.

Basically the Sith/Jedi dichotomy was a prequel invention.

Nah Sith have been around since the old comics and EU stuff, like already said the original script of New Hope called Vader 'a dark lord of the Sith' and all in clear contrast to Yoda/Obi-Wan's Jedi poo poo

Megillah Gorilla posted:

It's an amazing fictional universe, populated with great characters and terrible writing.

:yeah:

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

Chloe Jessica posted:

laser sword fights are cool ok :saddowns:

Just let me enjoy my space wizards

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

FreudianSlippers posted:

Sith was in the official Marvel comics before the original trilogy was even finished.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
It literally predates the first movie!

I'll give you that it wasn't common knowledge, but neither was Luke's father being named Anakin (or Annikin or whatever the first version of the name was). It doesn't mean that it was invented for the prequels, or what you said which is that it was invented after the prequels.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Armacham posted:

Just let me enjoy my space wizards
Star Wars was the Harry Potter series just as movies first

George Lucas seems like a much better person than JKR, at least, though apparently that whole affordable housing thing in Marin County is still being litigated

I have a Star Wars tattoo, this is mostly tongue-in-cheek

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Stargate SG-1 S10E04 (the "oops, all Ba'als!" one)

If they already had an anti-Goa'uld gas, why didn't they already have a dispersal system set up as part of the base defenses? By that point it'd been about 5 years since the Tok'ra brought it up, and clearly they had enough of it to distribute through the ventilation. Sure, I recognize that the story beats require the tension to not be immediately resolved, but drat, come on.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Gaunab posted:

After having seinfeld on in the background for the past 3 months, I just realized George could have just had the donations made out to the Susan Ross Foundation in the Festivus episode.

Not irritating or anything since that's the show and George. Plus if they didn't do it there would be no episode, but it's something I just thought of.

But then wouldn't he have actually had to make the donations?

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Plus I'm pretty sure everybody at work knows about his connection to the Susan Ross foundation. Do you really think George Costanza wouldn't have bragged about his charity work to every single person there?

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I feel like George was the sort of guy that would immediately have forgotten about Susan. Like him putting his dead fiancée's name on a card would have required him to think about anyone but himself for even a second.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I don’t know if there was ever a joke where George calls her “Sarah” or “sally” after she died because he forgot her name but there should have been.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Roblo posted:

Dooku is Darth Tyrannus.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Jedit posted:

Dooku is Darth Tyrannus.

And aren't all Darths Sith Lords? (I'm assuming that's your point.)

Chloe Jessica
Nov 6, 2021
Pick 2.0
one of the tenets of Darth Bane's Rule of Two is that Sith should have a public identity that's above suspicion

Sidious's master was a Muun from the Banking Clan and his master was a Bith, same as the cantina band dudes

e: yeah yeah trap sprung

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Chloe Jessica posted:

one of the tenets of Darth Bane's Rule of Two is that Sith should have a public identity that's above suspicion

Sidious's master was a Muun from the Banking Clan and his master was a Bith, same as the cantina band dudes

The Sith Bith?

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Jedit posted:

Dooku is Darth Tyrannus.

Huh. Thought he wasn't. Meh, it's been a while since I've seen it.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Chloe Jessica posted:

Figrin D'an and the Modal Nodes? I fuckin love those guys

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I love Jizz

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
Irrationally Irritating Movie Moments: I Love Jizz

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

Irrationally Irritating Movie Moments: I Love Jizz
whomst among us?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I don't see what's so funny about loving Jizz. Figrin D'an is a a fine Juzz Wailer.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
This is more of an irritating criticism thing.

Something minor that always annoys me is when people dismiss comedy movies because they aren't "funny". Sometimes what a movie lacks in pure jokes it makes up for in interesting arcs or strong writing. Bolt and The Croods aren't purely funny throughout, but I enjoy them because they have interesting stories and The Croods in particular has a great emotional hook leading up to it's finale.
Comedy doesn't mean "funny", in classical terms, it's just a story in which the protagonist wins in the end. A lot of movies that weren't purely "funny" won me over with some other type of charm.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Roblo posted:

Huh. Thought he wasn't. Meh, it's been a while since I've seen it.

If you just watch the movies they barely mention it at the end of Attack of the Clones. I think Sidious calls him it like once.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I don't think the "always two there are" line was supposed to literally mean there were only two sith lords in the entire universe, just that if Darth Maul was showing his face there were probably more around that they should be worried about

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Rewatched Train to Busan. Amazing movie, but near the end main dude is bitten, he has seen people literally turn within seconds, so time slows down just so he can console and hug his daughter. No! gently caress you, movie, the dude knows he's bitten, get the pregnant woman and his daughter to the safe part of the train, have the adult lock the door, tell daughter he loves her, and loving jump off the train! We don't need loving two minutes of his kid sobbing and begging him to stay. You got seconds, dude, loving get out of there!

Movies do that so often for the protagonists.

I still wish they had done more with the deer in the beginning.

Chloe Jessica
Nov 6, 2021
Pick 2.0

flavor.flv posted:

I don't think the "always two there are" line was supposed to literally mean there were only two sith lords in the entire universe, just that if Darth Maul was showing his face there were probably more around that they should be worried about

it does literally mean that.

a thousand years before the movies, Darth Bane destroyed the Sith Brotherhood of the time and implemented the Rule of Two, stating that there were only ever to be two Sith Lords at a time, because he believed that having more would inevitably lead back to the same infighting that plagued the Brotherhood. after a failed first apprentice, he eventually took Exar Kun as his apprentice and there was an unbroken line of single master+single apprentice all the way down to Sidious and Vader. once both Sidious and Vader were dead, the Sith were completely extinct.

it was also a tenet of the Rule of Two that the apprentice couldn't become the master without killing their master, because the longer a Sith lives, the more corrupted they become by the Dark Side, and the apprentice is expected to be capable of killing the master to prove they're worthy to take up the mantle. Sidious, by killing Plagueis, was simply obeying his ideology.

Darth Bane was first mentioned in the novelization of The Phantom Menace, so even at the time it was intended literally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

What about Dooku and Ventress? That's a second master and apprentice right there. And what about Maul? He's still running around on robot legs in the books and tv shows the whole time