Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea if this block is super flashy and pretty and neat sounding cards that do very little interesting mechanics it's 100% the Kamigawa vibe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Ok, so cheating an attacker into play doesn't satisfy the qualification of 'having attacked' for Boast abilities. Is that a 'just in this case' deal or does it apply to other situations like 'destroy any creature that didn't attack this turn' effects?

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Ok, so cheating an attacker into play doesn't satisfy the qualification of 'having attacked' for Boast abilities. Is that a 'just in this case' deal or does it apply to other situations like 'destroy any creature that didn't attack this turn' effects?

Not answering your question, but apropos of this, I love how they used to print the Rulebook directly on cards

Lure

quote:

All creatures able to block target creature must do so. If a creature has the ability to block more than one creature, Lure does not prevent this. If there is more than one attacking creature with Lure, defender may choose which of them each defending creature blocks.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

If a creature wasn't declared as an attacker, it doesn't get counted as an attacker for effects that count attacking creatures.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Correct: Ninjas, being masters of stealth do not brag about their exploits. They attacked for the pay, not so they could go to a tavern and activate an ability.

The biggest use-case for put into play attacking is that if someone is forcing you to attack something, you can ignore it. And to get out from under cards like Ensnaring Bridge.
For example, Gideon Jura has a +2 ability that says all of target opponent's creatures must attack it next turn. If you had a Hero of Bladehold, which put two tokens into play attacking when it attacked, those tokens could still attack the player.
For another example, Your opponent has zero cards in hand and an Ensnaring Bridge on the table. You can still attack them with your Aegis Turtle (a 0/5) and then ninjuitsu in Emrakul when they smugly refuse to block your turtle.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
So it's easiest to think of 'Attacking' as a status that can only be applied in the Declare Attacker step. If I ninjitsu in a creature I can't target it with Raze the Effigy but my opponent also can't hit it with Rebuke.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

That's not quite right, an "attacking" creature as the game sees it, means any creature in the red zone during the combat phase. A creature that "attacked" is one that got declared as an attacker during the declare attackers step.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

508.4. If a creature is put onto the battlefield attacking, its controller chooses which defending player or which planeswalker a defending player controls it's attacking as it enters the battlefield (unless the effect that put it onto the battlefield specifies what it's attacking). Similarly, if an effect states that a creature is attacking, its controller chooses which defending player or which planeswalker a defending player controls it's attacking it becomes attacking (unless the effect has already specified). Such creatures are "attacking" but, for the purposes of trigger events and effects, they never "attacked."

Rebuke away.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

So it's easiest to think of 'Attacking' as a status that can only be applied in the Declare Attacker step. If I ninjitsu in a creature I can't target it with Raze the Effigy but my opponent also can't hit it with Rebuke.

Yes but "AttackED", not attacking.
You can target with both rebuke and Raze,
...And you'll transform it if it's a Homicidal Brute

Abhorrence
Feb 5, 2010

A love that crushes like a mace.
'Attacking,' the adjective, means that a creature is in the red zone. The verb 'attack' means that a creature has changed from a non-attacking creature to an attacking creature. It's the transition that is important to determine if a creature has attacked.

You can also think of abilities that trigger on creature attacks as like there is a security camera pointed at exactly the edge of the red zone. It can see creatures that aren't attacking move in, but if a creature is born in the red zone, the camera doesn't see it.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
Ok what if your playing a 3 player game and one opponent has blazing archon and I attack the 3rd player with my hero of bladehold. Can I put the tokens in attacking the opponent with the archon?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

The Nastier Nate posted:

Ok what if your playing a 3 player game and one opponent has blazing archon and I attack the 3rd player with my hero of bladehold. Can I put the tokens in attacking the opponent with the archon?

Yes

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
bring back both Bury and Banding

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
https://twitter.com/mtggoldfish/status/1485297233692016640?s=21

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Played my first competative pioneer since 2020, joined a league on MTGO with Orzhov vampires and got a 2-0 win over I think Naya Winota? I didn't see her until game 2 and it didn't seem to get many hits from non-humans attacking, maybe just Brutal Cathars. Did go to my last minute of time without a game 3 though, so that's a worry. I needed to cast Champion of Dusk to draw into a Sorin, Imperious Bloodlord so I could then attack wide enough to get a point in, then cast him to Bitening Helix for the win. Don't really know where the time all goes.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Cringe

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_OqQb6s8qk

the YGO guy came back for another round, this time he actually has someone in call who knows magic to answer questions.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

That’s pretty funny, settle down

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

TheKingofSprings posted:

nah

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

TheKingofSprings posted:

It's just several weeks too late, because if you don't have reactions hours after the event you might as well not bother

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

joke would work better if they emphasized the "nerf" aspect by making it sound like a nerf gun rather than a real gun. also yeah if they released it around the time alchemy was introduced... but i guess animation takes time so what're you gonna do
-----
tomorrow (monday) is maro's list of clues... then tuesday is the ban list announcement and thursday is the start of spoiler season

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

eugh

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
That is some strong family guy energy from that.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Yeah that cartoon is extremely 2000s CAD-comic style humor

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Hahaha he shoots the cat with a NERF gun, get it?!?

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Leak of the dragon cycle.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

LibrarianCroaker posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_OqQb6s8qk

the YGO guy came back for another round, this time he actually has someone in call who knows magic to answer questions.

His magic guy keeps falling into the trap of assuming "part of a combo" means "good"
Colossus Hammer, Golgari Grave Troll, Creeping Chill are combo pieces. They're not good cards.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

What is a good card, then?

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Apport: the Orb of Zot
The orb shrieks as your magic touches it!
Yoink! You pull the item towards yourself.
You see here the Orb of Zot.

HootTheOwl posted:

His magic guy keeps falling into the trap of assuming "part of a combo" means "good"
Colossus Hammer, Golgari Grave Troll, Creeping Chill are combo pieces. They're not good cards.

I’d argue Golgari Grave Troll as good due to how broken it is as a combo piece, to be fair.

Dredge is absurd.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

YggdrasilTM posted:

What is a good card, then?

A card that's playable on it's own with low deck building concessions.
Like Ragavan the concession is "play red"
The concession on GGT is "your entire deck must function in the GY"

Like I think we'd agree that Mycosynth Lattice isn't a good card even though it instantly ends a game when it resolves.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

YggdrasilTM posted:

I love how the white one can put any number of <=4 permanents out of 7 cards onto the battlefield but the green one gets you 3 basics to hand.

edit- Oh, it's lands, not basics. That's better but still lol

GonSmithe fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Jan 24, 2022

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

GonSmithe posted:

I love how the white one can put any number of <=4 permanents onto the battlefield but the green one gets you 3 basics to hand.

It's a combined cost of 4, so infinite memnites, but only 1 Frogmite

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Oh no, the green one might not be the best one of the cycle. The terror.

Iol Aggro much :aloom:

Sickening fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Jan 24, 2022

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

HootTheOwl posted:

It's a combined cost of 4, so infinite memnites, but only 1 Frogmite
I can't read. Didn't see "total."

Sickening posted:

Oh no, the green one might not be the best one if the cycle. The terror.

Oh no, someone in the Magic thread discussing cards and how one might be better than the other. The terror.

Sorry people made fun of the cringe video you posted man, how about you let me misread new spoiled cards and make judgements based on those misreads like everyone else always does

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

GonSmithe posted:

I can't read. Didn't see "total."

Neither can I, hard to find infinite memnites off the top 7.

I <3 spoiler season.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

YggdrasilTM posted:

like I said, ultrabombs

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

HootTheOwl posted:

A card that's playable on it's own with low deck building concessions.
Like Ragavan the concession is "play red"
The concession on GGT is "your entire deck must function in the GY"
Taking away the graveyard interaction, GGT concession in a vacuum is "your deck is green, has creatures, and can reasonably play a 5 drop."

Maro Teaser:

quote:

First up, here are some things you can expect:
• two different pairings of creature types get tribally connected
• a black instant with “Destroy target creature or planeswalker” that can be cast for two mana
• a popular legendary creature from Champions of Kamigawa block returns in a new form
• an unnamed mechanic that cares about you having two things that Magic has had since its beginning
• finish of a five-card cycle many years in the making
• one of Tamiyo’s children gets a legendary creature card
• a new creature token with an ability not seen before on a card
• two popular cycles from Champions of Kamigawa block return each with a new twist
• a creature that makes a legendary Frog creature token
• two new Yamazakis

Next, here are some rules text that will be showing up on cards:
• “you may cast target enchantment from your graveyard this turn.”
• “where X is the number of times this ability has resolved this turn.”
• “Whenever you cast an artifact, instant, or sorcery spell, copy that spell.”
• “The first activated ability of an artifact you activate each turn costs 2 less to activate.”
• “Then repeat this process for an enchantment and a planeswalker.”
• “You may sacrifice a permanent that shares a card type with the chosen card.”
• “you may tap any number of untapped creatures you control.”
• “The ‘legend rule’ doesn’t apply to permanents you control.”
• “that ability triggers an additional time.”
• “if it has dealt 10 or more damage to that player this turn, they lose the game.”

Finally, here are some creature type lines in the set:
• Creature – Fox Pilot
• Creature – Turtle Ninja
• Creature – Moonfolk Samurai
• Artifact Creature – Goblin Artificer
• Artifact Creature – Ogre Warrior
• Enchantment Creature – Rat Rogue
• Enchantment Creature – Egg
• Legendary Creature – Kirin Spirit
• Legendary Creature – Goblin Samurai
• Legendary Enchantment Creature – Snake Druid

YggdrasilTM fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Jan 24, 2022

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

GonSmithe posted:

I love how the white one can put any number of <=4 permanents out of 7 cards onto the battlefield but the green one gets you 3 basics to hand.

The green one should've been 2 lands tapped to the battlefield from the top 7.

Goa Tse-tung posted:

like I said, ultrabombs

Ehh none of these are as busted as Avabrook Caretaker or Glorybringer

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Let the white one put lands in wotc you cowards

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

YggdrasilTM posted:

• a black instant with “Destroy target creature or planeswalker” that can be cast for two mana

Did black really need more cheap(er) removal?