Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
OK so I was just procrastinating on Tiktok and saw that some student came back to their uni accommodation after the Xmas break only to find the hall management had gone into her room to clean it, bagged up all her possessions, and put them in storage somewhere. The tenancy isn't over. She rightly lost her poo poo and complained to demand everything back, and the security is saying they can't do anything until Monday because none of the management are in.

This really stuck out for me because surely this is incredibly illegal. Uni accommodation or not she's still a private tenant and they've gone into her room without notice and essentially robbed her. Even if they immediately gave her everything back they've still broken a pile of tenancy laws. What the actual gently caress? Student accommodation does seem to habitually do poo poo like this but never faces any consequences. I feel like a lawsuit here could lead to a huge payout. Hell, I'd be tempted to outright call the cops in her position, though I wonder (if I was a 19 year old student) if they'd just laugh at me, because cops. But seriously how do they get away with this poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

ThomasPaine posted:

OK so I was just procrastinating on Tiktok and saw that some student came back to their uni accommodation after the Xmas break only to find the hall management had gone into her room to clean it, bagged up all her possessions, and put them in storage somewhere. The tenancy isn't over. She rightly lost her poo poo and complained to demand everything back, and the security is saying they can't do anything until Monday because none of the management are in.

This really stuck out for me because surely this is incredibly illegal. Uni accommodation or not she's still a private tenant and they've gone into her room without notice and essentially robbed her. Even if they immediately gave her everything back they've still broken a pile of tenancy laws. What the actual gently caress? Student accommodation does seem to habitually do poo poo like this but never faces any consequences. I feel like a lawsuit here could lead to a huge payout. Hell, I'd be tempted to outright call the cops in her position, though I wonder (if I was a 19 year old student) if they'd just laugh at me, because cops. But seriously how do they get away with this poo poo.

If they knew she was intending to come back after Christmas what possible motivation could they have to do this? Did they empty the wrong room or something?

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
What's the contract? Don't some not include holidays because unis often rent them out during them. That's the one maybe I can think of.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

stev posted:

If they knew she was intending to come back after Christmas what possible motivation could they have to do this? Did they empty the wrong room or something?

Maybe they had an international student course or a conference that they needed accommodation for?

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
I work near a pizza factory (supermarket packaged ones, not delishious fresh authentic pizzas available to buy) and the only time we can smell it is when something has burned. Which is almost weekly, by the smell of things.

Nothing will put you off ready made foods quicker than seeing the workforce who make it picking their nose on their fag break.

EvilMoJoJoJo posted:

My eldest niece's English textbook (she's German) was all about the Isle of Dogs, featuring Dear Deidre style photostories about a group of kids having drama and hanging around at Mudchute farm and the Asda and Cutty Sark. As a former Mudchute resident I found it totally hilarious. Thousands of German kids earnestly learning about the DLR, the opening hours of the farm, and so on. Sehr komisch!

Don't spoil the illusion, I'm convinced La Rochelle is full of teenagers telling each other their name and age.

Edit: university students don't get their rooms in the holidays usually. Even if they did, it soesn't mean Accommodation told Estates, which which is how you get situations like this: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-52493405

Lady Demelza fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Jan 23, 2022

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

cyril sneeeer posted:

It wasw and still is a REAL sulphury smell. for some reason on the south side not the north side of the tunnel. it smells of farts basically.

Well like I say, the pre-big-tent chemical factory more or less on top of the southern portals reeked of hydrogen sulphide (rotten eggs), but the post-millennium area doesn't smell of much at all. There's not much of a smell to the locale at all now (apart from at the bus station, which smells like a bus station) - the only thing I can think of is the demolition of the gas works which has been ongoing, and slowly, for like 20 years now because the ground is so extravagantly polluted - I'd imagine that would release occasional whiffs.

Alternatively you're accidentally going through a portal to Hell and it's brimstone you're smelling - you can tell the difference between south London and Hell by... erm... let me get back to you on that.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Sad Panda posted:

What's the contract? Don't some not include holidays because unis often rent them out during them. That's the one maybe I can think of.

Almost all student accommodation is on <51-week contracts because that lets them duck almost all legal restrictions (think the difference between a flat and a hotel room), and some places do indeed put in breaks for Christmas to let them rent them out as hotel rooms. As such they might indeed be legally in the clear for clearing out that person's room - it'll depend on the exact contract).

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

They did make a videogame on that premise, hellgate london.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

goddamnedtwisto posted:

you can tell the difference between south London and Hell by... erm... let me get back to you on that.
Circle line doesn't go to South London.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Just Another Lurker posted:

Went to London on a school trip, it smelled, i ate greasy chips beside the Thames, didn't get to any museums (Madame Tussauds doesn't count in my book) that pissed me off no end.

The highlight of my trip was finding a Misha lapel pin (1980 USSR Olympic mascot) lying in the street, i also saw a lizard for the first & only time in my life

That's just a waxwork. You need to go to the Palace to see the real one

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Almost all student accommodation is on <51-week contracts because that lets them duck almost all legal restrictions (think the difference between a flat and a hotel room), and some places do indeed put in breaks for Christmas to let them rent them out as hotel rooms. As such they might indeed be legally in the clear for clearing out that person's room - it'll depend on the exact contract).

I don't know the details, it was someone I don't know talking about it in a minute long video. I don't think there was any clause saying they weren't allowed to use it over the holidays though (why would they leave their stuff there?). I just cannot believe any of this is legal, even in a short contract. They have a tenancy agreement, they are a tenant, they are legally protected by the same rights as all private tenants. They're not staying in a hotel.

It just reminds me of my own time as an undergrad, and there were definitely times it felt like the hall management were flying quite close to the sun with their attitudes to the residents. I've heard similar from other people too. This is just the most egregious example I've found.

E: this reminds me of one place I stayed where it was an open secret that the creepy old security guard used to use the CCTV system to spy on the women through their windows.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
The redacted Forde Report is meant to be released this week.

farcry
Jan 18, 2006
https://amp.ft.com/content/67e76ec3-5326-45ba-9c88-11ee0ea27a6e does this or the linked article say what I think it does. Did morrisons buy themselves out for cd&r with that leveraged buyout bullshit? David pots the ceo that saved us from a massive 2bn debt issue just decided to leave the company when he seemed set to stay.

The 2bn debt was bought about by a previous ceo deciding to tripple the amount of stores and build a huge amount of convenience stores. Nearly ended with us going bust just before Christmas multiple years in a row. Now it looks like we paid 6bn to buy ourself. Am I just panicking? Or is it time to say fuckit and take the pay cut to work min wage in any other job in my dead poo poo town I'm stuck in? Sorry If its incoherent rambling I'm stressed and crying I don't have the capacity to mentally deal with all this poo poo working through the pandemic and seeing decade long friends get floored by covid took me past my ability to cope and I'm funking done.

I'm OK. Going to go make dophinaus with brie and bacon and drink a bottle of wine with my partner. Sorry for unloading on you guys . And also not posting more in here been a lurker since the LF days. No need to worry about my health its just venting I know some of the posters here feel deeply with care and compassion.

Was going to delete all this I'm not proofreading it just going to just post. Sorry to anyone that read it.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

notaspy posted:

I don't see us "savage, orc-like inhabitants" of South London so aggressively, and mindlessly slagging off you (presumably) North Londoner's.

Or maybe you were looking at a mirror when you typed this.

I used to visit a friend who lived near the Sun in the Sands roundabout. There's a few genetic oddities around there I think.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

serious gaylord posted:

Quick preview of the redacted version:

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
_________________________________________________________________________________________
Corbyn_______________________________________________________________________________________
____________________________________________________________________________________________________
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
bad_____________________
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Starmer______
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
_________________________________________________________________________________________
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
________________________________________________________________________________________________
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

______________________________________________________________________________________
______________________________________________________________________________________________

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

fuctifino posted:

Maybe they had an international student course or a conference that they needed accommodation for?
This is most likely. I used to do conferences at my uni, and there were a bunch of the dorms that if you read the tenancy (which students never did) it laid out pretty specifically that you needed to clear out everything over xmas and easter.

More than likely they overbooked the conference so cleared out some extra rooms they weren't expecting to have to use.

ThomasPaine posted:

I don't think there was any clause saying they weren't allowed to use it over the holidays though (why would they leave their stuff there?). I just cannot believe any of this is legal, even in a short contract. They have a tenancy agreement, they are a tenant, they are legally protected by the same rights as all private tenants.
I don't think they are protected by all of the same rights, uni accommodation has a few weird exceptions.

Also if you sign a tenancy that says you have to clear out friday night and come back monday, that's also perfectly legal as long as it's specified in the lease.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
As opposed to the unredacted Fforde report, which is just hentai of the Cadbury's Caramel bunny.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Even with a normal tenancy where the tenant stops paying then rent and disappears you have to look after the stuff they leave behind for a reasonable period of time, you can't just throw it all away. So, whilst its obviously not exactly the same situation as described, the university or whatever entity it is that actually rents the room out to the student is probably not in much trouble if they are able to give it all back because they did safely store it rather than bin it.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAZapFzpP64

In which Hank begins to discover the theory of labour.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I don't think they are protected by all of the same rights, uni accommodation has a few weird exceptions.

poo poo, is that true? It's pretty loving shady to me either way.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

New Fudge Flavours Released!

Hey fudge fans, got a few delicious new additions to our range for your delight and delectation. One returning from Spring of last year, and three completely new confections!

New Flavours

Mint Chocolate
- Making a return one year on. High quality milk chocolate and cool mint combined!
Caramel Cookies - A decadent treat. Caramelised fudge surrounding huge naughty chunks of Oreo cookie
VeGinger - A spicy vegan treat- ginger-spiced vegan fudge surrounding chunks of organic crystallised ginger.
You Jammy Git! - The result of a long night of experimentation in our fudge lab! Vegan fudge has whole-fruit strawberry jam melted into it while cooking, and then is shot through with chunks of Jammie Dodger. All vegan friendly, all super naughty and sticky!

Current Flavours

Original Vanilla
Malted Milk
Pistachio
Crunchy Chocolate Honeycomb
Cafe’ Americano
Rum ‘n’ Raisin
Mince Pie
- Limited stock!
Unicorn Barf - Extremely limited stock!

All stock is live at https://www.fudjit.co.uk and costs £3.50 per 100g bar (+P&P). As always, use the goon code ‘Roastbeefisbest’ to get 5-for-4 at checkout!

Get fudged!

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

ThomasPaine posted:

No I don't think it is really.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

It's still all just London and you're all getting walled in like a metropolitan version of Cask of Amontillado when the time comes anyway.

Nah, we're going to saw ourselves loose, mount ourselves on wheels and set off for a life of exciting municipal piracy. I saw it in a movie.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

farcry posted:

https://amp.ft.com/content/67e76ec3-5326-45ba-9c88-11ee0ea27a6e does this or the linked article say what I think it does. Did morrisons buy themselves out for cd&r with that leveraged buyout bullshit? David pots the ceo that saved us from a massive 2bn debt issue just decided to leave the company when he seemed set to stay.

The 2bn debt was bought about by a previous ceo deciding to tripple the amount of stores and build a huge amount of convenience stores. Nearly ended with us going bust just before Christmas multiple years in a row. Now it looks like we paid 6bn to buy ourself. Am I just panicking? Or is it time to say fuckit and take the pay cut to work min wage in any other job in my dead poo poo town I'm stuck in? Sorry If its incoherent rambling I'm stressed and crying I don't have the capacity to mentally deal with all this poo poo working through the pandemic and seeing decade long friends get floored by covid took me past my ability to cope and I'm funking done.

I'm OK. Going to go make dophinaus with brie and bacon and drink a bottle of wine with my partner. Sorry for unloading on you guys . And also not posting more in here been a lurker since the LF days. No need to worry about my health its just venting I know some of the posters here feel deeply with care and compassion.

Was going to delete all this I'm not proofreading it just going to just post. Sorry to anyone that read it.

IDK I'm not a finance guy but I can't see anything in the article that really alarms me in terms of workin gthere? They say that Morissons has been improving in profitability and that they're generally upbeat about stuff.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Honestly, the youth of today...

I went for a walk this afternoon. As I passed through the bus station, 3 lads aged maybe 12-14 years old passed by and one raised his hand to high 5 me so I high 5d him. About half an hour later walking round the park, the same lads passed me by and this time they all wanted to fist bump me, so I fist bumped them. I had never seen them before, no idea who they were or why they craved my contact so much. Bizarre!

That's my trip report for today.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

NotJustANumber99 posted:

No I don't think it is really.
I can't find anything online about the difference between universities as landlords and commercial landlords, but there are differences between student lettings and private lettings to non-students. Not all tenancy agreements operate under the exact same structure.

It really depends on if the university had a clause telling them to clear their room over xmas or not. I'd be surprised if they didn't. I know ours did, and it's something we were warned about in person when picking up the keys. It was the same about 12 years ago as it was 20 years ago when I had my first attempt.

I mean if it turns out out that's not a legally enforceable clause and universities have been treating it as if it was, that's mad that they've been getting away with it this long.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Jan 23, 2022

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I can't find anything online about the difference between universities as landlords and commercial landlords, but there are differences between student lettings and private lettings to non-students. Not all tenancy agreements operate under the exact same structure.

It really depends on if the university had a clause telling them to clear their room over xmas or not. I'd be surprised if they did. I know ours did, and it's something we were warned about in person when picking up the keys. It was the same about 12 years ago as it was 20 years ago when I had my first attempt.

I mean if it turns out out that's not a legally enforceable clause and universities have been treating it as if it was, that's mad that they've been getting away with it this long.

Back when I was in university 20 years back, it was the posh catered halls with ensuite bathrooms. They were rented out for conferences and the like. Us poors with communal bathrooms had the run of the place for the entire year.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

ThomasPaine posted:

I’ve seen the video, ianal, but they’ve clearly made an error. She got moved rooms, from one to the other, and someone didn’t put the paper work in properly so when the time came to clean the rooms out it wasn’t on the system that her stuff was in a new room. It’s lovely human error.

The police won’t do anything, it’s not criminal theft, it’s a civil matter. They will have to offer her compensation or she will have to take them to civil court if she isn’t happy with their offer.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I went for a walk this afternoon. As I passed through the bus station, 3 lads aged maybe 12-14 years old passed by and one raised his hand to high 5 me so I high 5d him. About half an hour later walking round the park, the same lads passed me by and this time they all wanted to fist bump me, so I fist bumped them. I had never seen them before, no idea who they were or why they craved my contact so much. Bizarre!

headbutt the alpha of the group imo

deano
Sep 6, 2000

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

My little diner is close enough for the local college kids to come get burgers and stuff for lunch, Last week while waiting on their orders ended up with them using the waiting area to do tiktok videos to, a hardstyle remix of Men at Work - Down under, HEY chef come join in they shouted. The kids are alright.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Many of my neigbours in the estate have bought single person adult trampolines to bounce on in full gym gear in the evenings. They are doing this on their balconies and front or back porches while watching the ever increasing string of burglaries around here.

The estate facebook is full of fuzzy videos of people jumping on trampolines with a squeak squeak noise as shadowy figures are pointed at and shouted at.

I honestly think I'm going loving insane. Did i miss a health craze? How did it get tied into the youths again. I'm scared.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
it just sounds like you live in a place with a load of wankers imo

Mebh
May 10, 2010

England?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
If you can successfully wank while bouncing on a trampoline you should be allowed imo

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

serious gaylord posted:

I'm sure it will "accidentally" be forgotten.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Trampoline sounds enough like the name of an 1890s antiseptic gel for sailors to rub on their cocks to prevent syphilis that somehow became a toothpaste through a series of comical Edwardian misunderstandings anyway.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

Mebh posted:

England?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

OwlFancier posted:

If we are doing weird smells, the asda in middlesbrough is built next to a big industrial estate that has:

1. the onion bhaji factory, I don't know if they actually make onion bhajis but whatever it is there is a very powerful smell of fried onions at certain times of day which I find difficult to tell apart from the smell of gas sometimes.
2. the drift track, so on thursdays there is a constant sound of screaming rubber and a faint smell of burning.
3. as of late, the biogas waste processing facility, so the entire place smells like a sewer during the summer when the wind is right.
4. sometimes people do big shits in the shop and hide it under the shelves, and sometimes also someone drops a case of beer and it gets under the racking and then the whole place smells like a particularly horrible pub.

middlesbrough is an exciting land of myriad sensory experiences.

What??!!!

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
This is one reason I'm glad I live out in the country where people can just hop off the beaten path and join the cows and horses and sheep in the fields if they wish to enrich the soil that strongly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

well if you’ve got a better place to do a big poo poo in a shop we’re all waiting to hear it