Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

pseudanonymous posted:

Get a coin flipping app and use dry erase tokens cards.

Sounds similar to The Gitrog Monster loop, where technically you can re-draw your hand an infinite number of times by constantly discarding and looping the Dredge trigger on Dakmor Salvage while Gitrog is in play to reset the "discard down to 7" part of the end step to sculpt a perfect hand. Most groups will shortcut by having the person explain the loop and its results and skipping ahead to just choosing the hand they want to end up with, but if you ever want to annoy the person playing it, make them explain how each step actually works, and then ask them to play through it because you're still not sure how the combo works.

As there's well over a trillion trillion trillion possible combinations of card order in an EDH deck, you could theoretically be there until everyone dies of old age.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yeah Gitrog is still an insane monster but I think you’ll find that over time really demanding and gimmicky decks don’t have a lot of staying power, even if they are super powerful. Krark & Sakashima is arguably like the 10th or 15th most powerful thing you can be doing in the command zone, so it’s about asking yourself to jump through hoops, instead of your opponents. That’s gonna fatigue a pilot over time, or at least that’s been my experience watching over 20 people build and dismantle Korvold or Chulane because every action you take has 5 triggers and if you make a mistake it leads to really frustrating games where you feel like you made 50 choices and they were all wrong.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Bust Rodd posted:

Yeah Gitrog is still an insane monster but I think you’ll find that over time really demanding and gimmicky decks don’t have a lot of staying power, even if they are super powerful. Krark & Sakashima is arguably like the 10th or 15th most powerful thing you can be doing in the command zone, so it’s about asking yourself to jump through hoops, instead of your opponents. That’s gonna fatigue a pilot over time, or at least that’s been my experience watching over 20 people build and dismantle Korvold or Chulane because every action you take has 5 triggers and if you make a mistake it leads to really frustrating games where you feel like you made 50 choices and they were all wrong.

That's just every game of Magic for me.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
It's a cool deck. I like that something that weird can be competitively viable. I think the good pilots of it have a ton of skill and have really mastered an oddball of a deck.

I never want to play it and I'd pray that anyone in my pod who takes it out knows what they're doing or it's going to be a slog.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
A guy in my group recently built a coin flip deck and while it's not Sakrark it is a deck I love in concept but MAN it makes each turn drag, especially if he's actually flipping. It gets real old real quick.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
only a little over two months until the coin flip secret lair decks are delivered to everyone

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
Can I use Dimir Aqueduct to target a land that i can then tap and sacrifice to use it's effect like evolving wilds without some sort of weird interference? I'm not sure if it going into my hand is a requirement or just having it as a target.

Example: Dimir Aqueduct > Evolving Wilds, tap Wilds and sac it to find a land to put into play.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
It doesn’t target, so no

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Dizz posted:

Can I use Dimir Aqueduct to target a land that i can then tap and sacrifice to use it's effect like evolving wilds without some sort of weird interference? I'm not sure if it going into my hand is a requirement or just having it as a target.

Example: Dimir Aqueduct > Evolving Wilds, tap Wilds and sac it to find a land to put into play.

The effect of all these bouncelands is "return a land you control to it's owners hand". It doesn't target anything. When the triggered ability resolves on the stack, if you control a land, you must return a land to it's owners hand. The only ways offhand to get out of it would be to use something that ends the turn, or something that counters a trigger, or something that prevents triggers from occurring, like if there was a strict proctor in play.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
you could respond to the bounce trigger by sacrificing all of your lands including the bounceland to something like Zuran Orb

mmm that value

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

If I have Necroduality out and create two Cleaver Skaab because of it, can I then use the Cleaver Skaab on the other and make more? all these zombie ideas are so loving nasty i love it.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Yes but I don't think you will get significantly more copies out of it since the new ones will be tokens and won't trigger Necroduality.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

it's more about getting a few on the field so that i can chop up other zombies that might benefit from splitting, things like +1/+1 aura dudes, poppet factory would also benefit from this, champion of the perished, fleshbag marauder, undead alchemist, assuming tokens get the ETB effect.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Huh, I didn't pay attention to it outside of the videos but I had no idea Joe left the channel.

Unfortunately he is toxic AF and left the show on a fit of rage.

He banned multiple people from the Patreon discord for beating him in games and targeting him on Spell table. Even though his motto was "I'm always the threat".

There is a Patreon exclusive game where his salt is on full blast, a little too spicy for YouTube.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yeah I hated him in his Command Zone appearance. Lots of actors play wacky versions of themselves on the show, but the version of Joe that he always presented during gameplay was just a ridiculously insufferable person. I was pretty bummed to discover that wasn’t a character and he apparently acts like that everywhere all the time.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

when you play toxic decks, you become a toxic person.

except for me.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Drowning Rabbit posted:

Unfortunately he is toxic AF and left the show on a fit of rage.

He banned multiple people from the Patreon discord for beating him in games and targeting him on Spell table. Even though his motto was "I'm always the threat".

There is a Patreon exclusive game where his salt is on full blast, a little too spicy for YouTube.

His Tabletop Jocks episodes of stuff out so far are rough on the edges as far as sound quality goes, but is nice in the representation of POC hanging out playing Magic. I haven't been able to finish a full ep because I can't hear what the hell is going on.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Jiro posted:

His Tabletop Jocks episodes of stuff out so far are rough on the edges as far as sound quality goes, but is nice in the representation of POC hanging out playing Magic. I haven't been able to finish a full ep because I can't hear what the hell is going on.

Yeah, everybody kind of mutters and it's very hard to tell what's being said over the ambient noise/music

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
It’s because what you don’t see in episodes of Game Knights is the fact that everyone is individually mic’d AND they have an audio engineer booming the table itself, so in case one audio feed fails they have clean audio of everything anyway.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Also, Lynch is/was the guy doing all the video/audio/editing on IHYD.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Bust Rodd posted:

This has definitely been my experience as well.

Like, I remember being excited seeing an Inalla deck on the cedh database, because she's been one of my favorite commanders ever since I started playing. But then reading the primer, with this, like, 17 step very specifically ordered chain of cards, I was immediately like "Nah, not going to rebuild her to this list, I don't want to memorize that many steps when I'm just playing for fun"

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Aranan posted:

Also, Lynch is/was the guy doing all the video/audio/editing on IHYD.

Lynch does all the editing, lighting/filming, but hires out a professional for audio. He's a filmmaker and knows what he's doing.

Joe put a camera in a room and hoped for good stuff from what I have been hearing. I haven't bothered to watch tabletop jocks, but I do appreciate that he's getting more PoC represented.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Yeah, that poo poo's never gonna work for audio if you're in a room that's like, a foodservice establishment

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Toph Bei Fong posted:

Like, I remember being excited seeing an Inalla deck on the cedh database, because she's been one of my favorite commanders ever since I started playing. But then reading the primer, with this, like, 17 step very specifically ordered chain of cards, I was immediately like "Nah, not going to rebuild her to this list, I don't want to memorize that many steps when I'm just playing for fun"

Someone set up a script that does it for you you can like have the website loaded on your phone if you want. I don't remember what the URL is though.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Toph Bei Fong posted:

Got a link to the Inalla list?

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

https://cedh-decklist-database.com/

here's the database

https://www.moxfield.com/decks/shj-af8AiUWaoFVbNORQig
https://www.moxfield.com/decks/LPa67vXm_UmFhR0QO-5NMw

here are the two Inalla lists in it

the main difference between the two is one plays a few more creatures than the other, the core of the decks is nearly identical.

Fajita Queen fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Jan 23, 2022

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The Shortest Path posted:

https://cedh-decklist-database.com/

here's the database

https://www.moxfield.com/decks/shj-af8AiUWaoFVbNORQig
https://www.moxfield.com/decks/LPa67vXm_UmFhR0QO-5NMw

here are the two Inalla lists in it

the main difference between the two is one plays a few more creatures than the other, the core of the decks is nearly identical.

Danke schön.

I was a little excited when Inalla was mentioned and then a little disappointed it was just a Thoracle deck.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Batterypowered7 posted:

Danke schön.

I was a little excited when Inalla was mentioned and then a little disappointed it was just a Thoracle deck.

80-90% of cEDH decks are Thoracle decks. A lot of the ones that aren't aren't in the top tier either, it's too good of a wincon.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

That's a bit of an exaggeration, the meta has slowed down a lot and staxy midrange decks without oracle are fairly prevalent everywhere I've seen.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

I think I'd build this Adeline deck that I linked previously if I wanted to play cEDH. I haven't played cEDH before so it's not like I'm tired of Thoracle or anything. The Adeline deck just seems fun.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.
So I've set out to build Vial Smasher / Sakashima, not as my RB deck but at a true URB deck. I'm looking at using Affinity to cheat out big, dumb CMCs, and splashing some of the more OP Delve poo poo like Treasure Cruise, Dig Through Time, and Temporal Trespass, as well as some instant speed jank from both abilities to flex Vial Smasher's triggers on as many turns as possible. The recent printing of that cycle of dual artifact lands sealed the deal for me, as that gives me three more easy Affinity looks at essentially no cost to the deck's functionality. Does that sound viable, or should I look elsewhere for budget bullshit for Vial Smasher to smash? In any case I'm going to throw in Spark Double and a few other dirty tricks for more Vial Smasher shenanigans.

Thanks again to Batterypowered7 for the fun idea.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Railing Kill posted:

So I've set out to build Vial Smasher / Sakashima, not as my RB deck but at a true URB deck. I'm looking at using Affinity to cheat out big, dumb CMCs, and splashing some of the more OP Delve poo poo like Treasure Cruise, Dig Through Time, and Temporal Trespass, as well as some instant speed jank from both abilities to flex Vial Smasher's triggers on as many turns as possible. The recent printing of that cycle of dual artifact lands sealed the deal for me, as that gives me three more easy Affinity looks at essentially no cost to the deck's functionality. Does that sound viable, or should I look elsewhere for budget bullshit for Vial Smasher to smash? In any case I'm going to throw in Spark Double and a few other dirty tricks for more Vial Smasher shenanigans.

Thanks again to Batterypowered7 for the fun idea.

You can clone your commanders more, since Sakashima makes it so the legend rule doesn't apply to you (in addition to playing the original Sakashima, for when you don't have the commander one out) to get even more triggers.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

Batterypowered7 posted:

You can clone your commanders more, since Sakashima makes it so the legend rule doesn't apply to you (in addition to playing the original Sakashima, for when you don't have the commander one out) to get even more triggers.

Yep. I like Spark Double in case Sakashima gets got, but I'm also running silly bullcrap like Rite of Replication for sure.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Railing Kill posted:

Yep. I like Spark Double in case Sakashima gets got, but I'm also running silly bullcrap like Rite of Replication for sure.

If you wanna run bad cards you can toss in Baneful Omen.

E: Painful Quandary too.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

pseudanonymous posted:

Someone set up a script that does it for you you can like have the website loaded on your phone if you want. I don't remember what the URL is though.

If you need a 3rd party application to play your deck correctly then you should play a different deck, IMO

Batterypowered7 posted:

I think I'd build this Adeline deck that I linked previously if I wanted to play cEDH. I haven't played cEDH before so it's not like I'm tired of Thoracle or anything. The Adeline deck just seems fun.

This seems totally serviceable but just be warned that decks like this just feed better Stax decks. You will probably never beat a Winota or a Kenrith or a Najeela with this list ever, just food for thought.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Bust Rodd posted:

If you need a 3rd party application to play your deck correctly then you should play a different deck, IMO

This seems totally serviceable but just be warned that decks like this just feed better Stax decks. You will probably never beat a Winota or a Kenrith or a Najeela with this list ever, just food for thought.

Just really banking on the other three players being in that >50% of players on Thoracle, obvs.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Batterypowered7 posted:

Danke schön.

Yeah, that was similar to the reaction I had. "Oh, all that just for Thoracle?"

Like, I'm sure it's quite good in the right hands, but I agree with Bust that if I need an app to keep track of my combo lines, that just doesn't feel like playing Magic... Reminds me of the "Yeah, this video game is really fun! You download all these macros to maximize attack chain efficiency, and then..." (Which I'm sure is very fun to a certain type of player, and I'd certainly not tell someone they're having fun wrong, I am simply not that style of player)

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Maybe piloting the Inalla deck can be outsourced to an Eve Online player while you play a different deck at another table.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Sometimes when I’m going off with K’rrik or Osgir my friends will offer to track my mana or my storm count for me because it’s easier if the table helps me play and they feel more engaged in my 20 minute turns and also I’m less likely to waste everyone’s time by mindlessly durdling. That’s a pretty extreme case that only comes up at the end of the night when we’ve all been gaming for 4 hours and our brains are tired. I can’t imagine starting the night out with a deck I need a robot to help me play correctly.

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Jan 24, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
These new ninjas and Kaito Shizuki might actually make Etrata viable as a commander