Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

I got out on the water this weekend

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

nice

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

a seal poked his head up and was messily devouring a big fish a minute after i took that photo. he was quickly set upon by a mob of seagulls. nature is beautiful

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Starting work again tomorrow after two weeks off and I'm not at all hyped. It's not a bad job but I'd much rather just go sit on the beach

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

pointsofdata posted:

Starting work again tomorrow after two weeks off and I'm not at all hyped. It's not a bad job but I'd much rather just go sit on the beach

like 5 people I know are taking the day off today just because

I have no meetings, I probably could without incident...

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Truman Peyote posted:

a seal poked his head up and was messily devouring a big fish a minute after i took that photo. he was quickly set upon by a mob of seagulls. nature is beautiful

i went on a cruise to Antarctica, and after crossing the drake passage the first sign of life nearing the Antarctic peninsula was a penguin hopping in and out of the wake near the back ship. it was majestic, that penguin. flitting in and out of the wake and looking so carefree

everyone piled out of the cabins they had hunkered down in for hardest days at sea (the ship had about 150 people total with crew) and we watched that penguin until we all gradually realized he was not carefree at all, he was swimming for his life and got eaten by a seal right in front of us and there was blood everywhere

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

i snagged a permit to the sierra high route this summer. its been on my bucket list for years and is one of the few things i'd really love to do before i ever potentially moved away from california. the time seems right but I'm still trying to convince myself to actually do it. 3 weeks(ish) is a fair amount longer than my previous longest trip and i got a lot of logistics to figure out still.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

do it, it will be cool as hell and you won't even have to use a computer there

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
yeah do it

next week i’m doing a tramp across mt tongariro which is where they filmed mt doom so am kinda hoping i don’t die coz things are going kinda ok at the moment for me lmao

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
everyone was sleeping so I climbed up high enough to get some reception and send a couple pics

gently caress tomorrow : i am going up over that saddle between two volcanos. it’s meant to be pissing down 💦💦

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
unreal landscape. could never have imagine how a scrubby area could be some of the most beautiful land I’ve seen. hopefully when back in town i’ll have some decent pics to share from this trip https://www.doc.govt.nz/parks-and-r...rthern-circuit/

today was the hardest walk i’ve ever done. tomorrow looks far harder in far worse weather

rip echi you heard it here firs t

Ragtime All The Time
Apr 6, 2011

all those bird pics were awesome love me some birds :nsacloud:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
e: whoos

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
keep on posting the good nature pics in this here thread

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

is that where the horse mans from lord of the rings lived?

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Echi the colors on those are real nice

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

throwback flower from my visit to the botanical gardens in cape town

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
unfortunately the weather made us turn around at almost the crater but the visibility was so low anyway

wasn’t easy to get the camera out while walking so was a bit gutted I didn’t have much of a chance to use big so most captured on
phone

but here’s a couple pics

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

echinopsis posted:

unfortunately the weather made us turn around at almost the crater but the visibility was so low anyway

wasn’t easy to get the camera out while walking so was a bit gutted I didn’t have much of a chance to use big so most captured on
phone

but here’s a couple pics

nice echi; too bad the weather wasn't favorable for the summit. i like this lichen pic, never seen a reddish orange one quite like that before

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

im lichen it too op

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

bird.jpg

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

theyve been busy

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

i took too long to get out of bed and missed the super thick fog this morning

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
appreciate the shot tho

fins
May 31, 2011

Floss Finder
Test phone post for fishing time..

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

super thick fog

I have a green laser pointer hanging on the key-holder by the back door, I can never resist the urge to play Death Star whenever it gets good and foggy here. Buy one for a pittance off AliX and keep it handy for the next fog-day.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
good luck, seems like all the higher powered ones are basically illegal to sell now. I can find them second hand here in nz but no new ones. what’s out there is all there is it seems. maybe it’s more lax in the US but ali express won’t show me anything stronger than like 1 mw :cry: maybe alix is smart enough to not show things I can’t buy but idk

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

you really do not want a green laser pointer from aliexpress, and i say that as a person who has a green laser pointer from aliexpress.

a 1mW green laser produces its 532nm light from a frequency-doubler pumped by a 1064nm infrared diode, and the process is very lossy, so you've got 20+ mW of invisible infrared somewhere inside. if the laser doesn't have good filters, a bunch of that light is going to be emitted out the front as an invisible halo around the green beam. you can't see it and your blink reflex won't protect you if it gets in your eyes. and the ir cut filters are an ideal place for a cheap seller to cheap out because who would know?

upgrade to a 5mW green laser and you're probably more like 100mW of IR, which is enough to cause instant permanent eye damage.

be careful.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
yolo

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

i did research with a 1W infrared laser for a while in school and my professional laser opinion is that if you like your vision you should never own one that isn't a baby red laser pointer

other colors may have filters to make them "safe" but do you really trust your vision to some company trying to make money? you'll lose it at the speed of light

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

the laser safety and operations manual I had to pass a test on included some studies where they blasted monkeys in the eyes with lasers to see how fast it damaged them :patriot:

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

styropyro taught me not to gently caress with cheap lasers. you really need proper safety glasses. you basically can't trust any of the specs they give you

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

PokeJoe posted:

i did research with a 1W infrared laser for a while in school and my professional laser opinion is that if you like your vision you should never own one that isn't a baby red laser pointer

other colors may have filters to make them "safe" but do you really trust your vision to some company trying to make money? you'll lose it at the speed of light

I did the polarized light in a fiber Berry phase experiment in a physics lab in college and we had a 7W argon laser for that. it would burn thru a playing card pretty darn fast.

they have very tight sealing goggles with a bunch of safety certification marks on them, and a door that automatically turns on a warning sign outside of the laser room when locked, and the laser can’t be powered up unless the door is closed *and locked*

do not gently caress around with lasers that can blind you before you can blink.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
do not look at laser with remaining eye

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
also, always check your optics

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
don't touch the lenses and don't try and clean them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
i have a green laser pointer i use to scare off the geese that show up on the river