Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

lilljonas posted:

skeletons and napoleonic french in greatcoats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
I’ll post more pictures once I finish the box but I’m about halfway through painting all the Bloodborne minis in the base game box:

I’ve been a mediocre painter that’s flitted around across projects but my goal was to finish a whole box of minis and do a halfway decent job with them. The Hunter mobs are pretty meh but I’m happy with the hooded beasts and brick trolls.

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

I will never learn the secrets of "Increased fake female boar sp..."

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.

lilljonas posted:

Brets sounds like the least batch-paint friendly thing, but if you stay with 3-4 main colours as a maximum you can probably at least get a whole bunch to the detailing stage at once.

Bad example, you're right - I'm looking forward to making the heraldry and stuff.

It was my inspiration for the question though, and was more interested in who the most insane on the forum is

(Full Warmaster army winning so far lmao)

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Ten at a time for my Imperial Guard is my upper limit. Or 3 tanks at once.

More than that and it’s a bit too tough.

Scandalous
Jul 16, 2009

Lawlicaust posted:

I’ll post more pictures once I finish the box but I’m about halfway through painting all the Bloodborne minis in the base game box:

I’ve been a mediocre painter that’s flitted around across projects but my goal was to finish a whole box of minis and do a halfway decent job with them. The Hunter mobs are pretty meh but I’m happy with the hooded beasts and brick trolls.
They all look good man don’t fret, would get mobbed and murdered by these dudes

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

:scotland:
More WIP Combined Army stuff, the Anathematics is a bit RED right now so trying to think of a way to break up the colour a little.

Gnoll
Nov 12, 2011
Did my first attempt at painting a miniature today. Not great but it's a start.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Gnoll posted:

That's pretty loving great

Pb and Jellyfish
Oct 30, 2011

How do I fix warped bases like this? From the old Doom board game with Doom 3 style monsters. Basically all of the big guys are like this, and many of the little ones. Sorry for the crap photo, just wanted to convey the idea.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Pb and Jellyfish posted:

How do I fix warped bases like this? From the old Doom board game with Doom 3 style monsters. Basically all of the big guys are like this, and many of the little ones. Sorry for the crap photo, just wanted to convey the idea.

Hot water, hold the base flat & straight (like with the flat of a knife or whatever so you don't scald yourself), then pour cold water on it and it should get fixed in the new position. I've done it with Descent and it tends to fix 90% of the problems.

Pb and Jellyfish
Oct 30, 2011

Pierzak posted:

Hot water, hold the base flat & straight (like with the flat of a knife or whatever so you don't scald yourself), then pour cold water on it and it should get fixed in the new position. I've done it with Descent and it tends to fix 90% of the problems.

That worked great, thanks!

nostrata
Apr 27, 2007

Gnoll posted:

A fine looking boy indeed.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

:scotland:

Gnoll posted:

This is great!

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Gnoll posted:

Very nice work indeed! :)

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

A couple of years ago I got a Land Raider which I painted like this.

As with the other models I became dissatisfied with this over time and opted to strip and repaint it. I finished up yesterday.

Gnoll
Nov 12, 2011
Thanks for the encouragement guys. I think this hobby got its teeth into me already.

Gnoll fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jan 23, 2022

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Gnoll posted:

Thanks for the encouragement guys. I think this hobby got its teeth into me already.

Becoming a good miniatures painter is easy, because of this one eternal truth: any paint job, even a bad one, is better than grey plastic. So the journey is not so much to become a good painter, but to improve in areas where you want to improve. By saving the mini from the grey plastic horror, you're already a good painter.

Skails
Feb 24, 2008

Born-In-Space
Painted up an undead chariot.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

BaronVanAwesome posted:

What's the most models anyone here has batch painted at once? I got ~1800 points of Bretonnians and wonder if I could do like 27 Knights of the Realm at once

~3k points of Epic Imperial Guard, left it way too late for a tournament.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Skails posted:

Owns bones

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

Skails posted:

These dudes are having the time of their Unlife, I love it. You get so much out of a limited palette of grey , bone and white colors working those values and contrasts hit right. Envious of the shield freehand too. Warm AND spooky

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

That may be the best paint job that model has ever seen, congratulations!

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

reposting this from Marvel thread since I'm pretty happy with how this surgical kitbash of Venom into Toxin turned out---

Bonus image with his two dads

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Pierzak posted:

Extra Thin for tiny details, joint reinforcement, anything where you absolutely don't want the glue to seep out.

It's also amazing for scale models. Most airplane kits have the fuselage split lengthwise so you have long joins. The Extra Thin is thin enough for capillary action to suck it into the joins. You just hold the two halves together and brush glue down the seam, physics does the rest. This is why you can just push two pieces together and just jab at the joint with the brush and it magically seals up.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Got a problem with the varnish on this royal guard, not sure how to fix it. Supposed to be gloss but this one is noticeable bad. Not even really sure what happened other than I was kinda rushing it. (Also I tried to upload this to a painting discord and it got flagged as explicit content lmao)

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Whoa whoa whoa, NSFW tag that poo poo.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

StashAugustine posted:

(Also I tried to upload this to a painting discord and it got flagged as explicit content lmao)

lol sorry about your cum soldier

I honestly don't really know of any way to fix that beyond stripping and repainting but I'm interested to hear if anyone else has a secret way.

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!
Try hitting it with another really light coat, it worked for me when I got a cloudy finish (heh cum) with munitorum varnish the gw satin rattlecan

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

StashAugustine posted:

Got a problem with the varnish on this royal guard, not sure how to fix it. Supposed to be gloss but this one is noticeable bad. Not even really sure what happened other than I was kinda rushing it. (Also I tried to upload this to a painting discord and it got flagged as explicit content lmao)

Did you brush the primer on? It's quite prone to making bubbles when doing that, so you have to gently blow air over the model after applying the varnish to burst them. The cloudy effect is probably due to over-varnishing or not shaking it properly beforehand (or you just got a bad bottle)

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Winklebottom posted:

Did you brush the primer on? It's quite prone to making bubbles when doing that, so you have to gently blow air over the model after applying the varnish to burst them. The cloudy effect is probably due to over-varnishing or not shaking it properly beforehand (or you just got a bad bottle)

Yeah its brush on (was trying to just hit the armored parts), there's a few others that have slightly cloudy finishes in this batch but it's probably not a problem with the varnish itself. I guess I'll try another light coat just because I don't want to do it all again?

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

When varnishing, I blow lightly on the model to pop any little bubbles that form.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

There's more than a few ways to deal with cloudy varnish:

One is to apply a coat of the "opposite" varnish, e.g., if your gloss is cloudy, try a coat of matte, and vice versa. The reasoning is that the ingredients that make gloss shiny are counteracted by the matte (and vice versa), so in theory a coat of one should correct any problems with another.

Along similar lines, some people advise using a different type of varnish, e.g. if you have problems with an acrylic brush on varnish, use a rattlecan or airbrush that's a non-acrylic type. The idea here is that the two different types of chemicals will sort of interact and fix the cloudiness.

Yet another way is to just let the miniature sit under a hot regular bulb (not an LED bulb) for a few hours. The heat theoretically should "reactivate" the cloudy topcoat so that it fixes itself. It's also been advised to just do that right after applying the varnish anyways as it has a lot less chance of drying cloudy if it's warm.

I should add that I've had varying degrees of success with the three methods listed above, so I can't say they're 100% effective every time. One thing that has worked is to brush on a light coating of olive oil and leave it to dry. Though when I have actually done this, it's only been when a matte varnish got cloudy. I've never actually tried it on a cloudy gloss coat.

Another thing I've done with some success is to just brush a light coat of isopropyl alcohol over the cloudy varnish and let it dry, but only if it's an acrylic varnish (it doesn't work on lacquers or other types of clearcoats). It'll effectively strip the varnish, and if carefully applied shouldn't impact the paint underneath. This is the "last resort" method though, as if it does eat through the paint underneath then you have no option but to strip the mini anyways.

Ristolaz
Sep 29, 2005

By completely blowing off my BS you have passed the first trial
drat so I shouldn't spray varnish my minis in the cold?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Painted up a Shadowkeepers guardian, just for funsies. I think I like the Shadowkeepers better?

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Ristolaz posted:

Probably not, I've spray primed mine outside during winter before (not when it's actually snowing, though), but always just brush varnished indoors where it's nice and warm :fluffy:

dmnz
Feb 14, 2012

BNNRROWNWNWOWOWOWO
Finished up two star players for Blood Bowl.

Morg 'n' Thorg

Ripper Bolgrot

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Ristolaz posted:

I learned airbrushing during a winter and my workshop was in a fairly chilly basement. I couldn't figure out what I was doing wrong because I was following all kinds of tutorials that made it look easy. Turns out the viscosity changes a lot with cold (not only for varnish but also for flow improver and thinner and probably the paint too). It's subtle and not super obvious, but it definitely has an effect. When spring came my airbrush suddenly "started to work." It took me another winter to understand it was because of the cold, because it got bad again. So I ended up using a kettle to warm some water in a bowl and let the bottles warm up for a while.

Ristolaz
Sep 29, 2005

By completely blowing off my BS you have passed the first trial
Thanks, I live in an apartment and don't have an airbrush so my only option would be taking a rattle can of varnish outside in -20C. I think I'll try brush-on then!

I've heard primer is ok in the cold though? (as long as the can itself is warm)

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
As long as you can bring it inside immediately it's fine to prime outside in more or less any weather besides like... direct rain. Just make sure you have somewhere warm and well ventilated if you're going to do that, like a bathroom with a fan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

dmnz posted:

Finished up two star players for Blood Bowl.

Morg 'n' Thorg

Ripper Bolgrot

Hell yeah.