Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Vintage story feels like early game sevtech ages. I'm knapping rocks in the overworld to get an axe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Vintage story feels like early game sevtech ages. I'm knapping rocks in the overworld to get an axe

the devs very much want to cap off in steam-powered and clockwork stuff with the tech tree overall on their end but invite players to mod in anything further if they want, so the game as a whole has a kinda neat 'rustic' quality to the progression where you're doing neat poo poo like digging charcoal pits and cooking wood off in them so you have hot enough fuel to melt down ore in a crucible to pour into molds made from fired clay. a very important note is to place a mark on the map with the built-in system whenever you find nuggets of surface copper and tin and whatever else while roaming out and about, because it's a sign that actual veins of it are beneath you in that area.

it gets pretty satisfying when you first make it to the point of casting your first anvil and get to do the smithing minigame, which has you actually pounding the voxels into place using a little menu of actions that determine how you shuffle the little blocks around. here's me pounding out a saw blade, which is really important to be able to make wooden boards which are used in various recipes.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Are there any aids in Omnifactory to help me figure out why my reactor is invalid? I tried to build a 7x7x7 things from that leu-235 site, but I blew it somewhere.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Johnny Joestar posted:

the devs very much want to cap off in steam-powered and clockwork stuff with the tech tree overall on their end but invite players to mod in anything further if they want, so the game as a whole has a kinda neat 'rustic' quality to the progression where you're doing neat poo poo like digging charcoal pits and cooking wood off in them so you have hot enough fuel to melt down ore in a crucible to pour into molds made from fired clay. a very important note is to place a mark on the map with the built-in system whenever you find nuggets of surface copper and tin and whatever else while roaming out and about, because it's a sign that actual veins of it are beneath you in that area.

it gets pretty satisfying when you first make it to the point of casting your first anvil and get to do the smithing minigame, which has you actually pounding the voxels into place using a little menu of actions that determine how you shuffle the little blocks around. here's me pounding out a saw blade, which is really important to be able to make wooden boards which are used in various recipes.

NGL that looks like the best smithing minigame concept I've ever seen.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

McFrugal posted:

NGL that looks like the best smithing minigame concept I've ever seen.

funnily after i posted it i realized i forgot to add the image that actually shows the little action menu that gives an idea of what you can do while smithing. i have some random pics i took of certain things during my first foray into the game either because i thought what i was doing was neat or thought something was pretty.

this is a basic little sequence of me pouring an ingot using molten copper in the crucible i heated up on a firepit, then letting the ingot cool until i can remove it and get it actually worked up in my forge so it's at a malleable temp. after slapping the white-hot ingot on your anvil you get the little menu that lets you point at individual blocks that make up the ingot and maneuver them into place to fit the green wireframe 'guide' that you need to fill to actually succeed at making what you want. the first option is just giving it a good whack so the voxels smoosh out if you want to get things going pretty early on spreading them out. the last option lets you specifically carve off cubes so you can clean it up if you have extra and/or want some breathing room for moving others around, since ultimately the ingot should have more blocks than you need to work with. the second to last one is showing the almost-done saw blade where i've gotten blocks slotted into every segment i need and just need to slice off extras. you can actually notice how it's cooled off a bit during the process and isn't glowing as brightly, too! temp actually matters for this stuff and you want to get it done within a certain timeframe. the final pic is the saw blade after i've affixed it with some sticks and whatever to make an actual, complete saw.

forging is a notable step beyond the most basic metalworking, which mainly just involves heating up ore in a crucible over your fire using hot enough fuel so you can pour it into clay molds that you actually form by hand by placing layers of voxels one after the other and then firing it off in a kiln, which is also how all clayworking happens for things like pots and bowls and whatever else:

what's pictured here was me making my first pickaxe, prospecting pick (which uses samples of rock in a chunk to tell you what sort of ore/whatever you can find in that chunk) and anvil, with the anvil itself of course being a major bridge to proper smithing and a notable copper investment. getting your first pickaxe is actually a pretty big deal since it means you can't actually get involved in busting through stone and whatnot to get at more copper/tin/whatever until you've scavenged enough copper from surface deposits, panning through gravel and whatever using water or random other means to melt into enough liquid copper to make a pickaxe head with it.

getting hot enough fuel to even melt the copper is another thing entirely, because most early sources don't actually burn hot enough and things will actually tell you how hot they'll eventually reach with various reactions needing to hit a specific temp before they'll start happening. you can scavenge random bits of surface coal in places but an early, big source of usable fuel for smithing is piling up a shitload of wood into a pit, sealing it off, lighting a fire in the single hole you left on top, then letting it cook off overnight until you have a seared-off mound of charcoal to dig out.

beyond anything else i really enjoy the general aesthetic and it feels weirdly cozy to me compared to minecraft in some way or another i can't entirely place a finger on.

in my first game i started off in a really rainy wetlands kinda area with lots of cattails (which are great since you can weave them into hand baskets to slot in to increase your inventory size as a super early way to add more slots beyond your initial action bar along with cutting up the roots which you can cook for a cheap, early meal), and mostly became really enamored with some of the weather effects and stuff as simple as the sun setting or pulsating clouds moving in. there's also a shot of some voxely resin on a tree in one of the more forested areas i found, because i enjoy the way a lot of things in the game look with that vaguely more finely detailed 3d aspect to them. the last pic is a fenced in beekeeping area i have where it's some flowers around skeps full of bees which will populate empty, nearby skeps and generate honey over time, and eventually you break them open to get the honeycomb which you can press into non-perishable honey for cooking and wax for candles for nice bits of lighting. very charming game, all told. mainly posting about it here since i dunno if a separate thread for it would take off and it should be kinda familiar to people who mod minecraft anyways due to the terrafirmacraft roots along with some other details.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
Well, drat, that's definitely the best looking Minecraft spinoff I've seen so far.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Black Pants posted:

Well, drat, that's definitely the best looking Minecraft spinoff I've seen so far.

leave it to disgruntled minecraft modders to go 'hey we can probably just make our own clone of the game but have it run way better and actually accept mods easier and not be made in loving java'

also they don't have it on steam and that's primarily because they don't like how restrictive the return policy is on there and will just straight up refund you fully whenever if you don't enjoy it because they'd rather you not be stuck with a game you don't enjoy

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Hmm. I thought Steam's return policy was 'an individual publisher/whatever can determine how returns are handled, but everyone regardless of what publishers say will get refunded if they return within 2 hours'.

Also, a bunch of disgruntled modders have decided that, none of them have gone on with it :v:

Still waiting on Hytale.

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Jan 13, 2022

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Johnny Joestar posted:

Chisels and bits was by far the best thing about minecraft mods I've experienced. Most mods have a terrible crafting board even worse than vanilla, as like a 15 year self-inflicted punishment I guess, but if this is working how I'm imagining it, it seems like a really fun system. Next time I get the minecraft itch I'm hitting this up. Are they planning any big updates soon that would be fun to jump in after?

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Khanstant posted:

Chisels and bits was by far the best thing about minecraft mods I've experienced. Most mods have a terrible crafting board even worse than vanilla, as like a 15 year self-inflicted punishment I guess, but if this is working how I'm imagining it, it seems like a really fun system. Next time I get the minecraft itch I'm hitting this up. Are they planning any big updates soon that would be fun to jump in after?

vintage story even comes with a built-in chisels and bits system to help with decorating, which is cool. there's still a basic 3x3 crafting grid to pull up to make some stuff occasionally but the devs plan to maybe do away with that eventually for most things, i think? i could be making that up, i don't know. there's some thought put into how the player goes about crafting most of the important stuff, though, that doesn't use a grid in any way. also the 1.16 update just dropped which makes it probably a great time to get into it right now. they tend to put out experimental beta builds for updates before they're fully cleared, too.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I have just discovered the silly possibilities of Modular Machinery.

Mana-powered water generator, and oxygen generator.

Edit: iteration on the latter:

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Jan 16, 2022

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Black Pants posted:

I have just discovered the silly possibilities of Modular Machinery.

Mana-powered water generator, and oxygen generator.

Edit: iteration on the latter:

I've been playing through the absolutely brilliant Multiblock Madness: Overloaded, which uses modular machinery to great effect. Maybe check it out for ideas.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

BurritoJustice posted:

I've been playing through the absolutely brilliant Multiblock Madness: Overloaded, which uses modular machinery to great effect. Maybe check it out for ideas.

Ooh, nice, will do.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

Flail Snail posted:

Since people still talk about Vintage Story and I like both Vintage Story and Minecraft, perhaps you might enjoy another voxely buildy crafty survivaly game.

Outerverse, currently in early access. There are a few obvious points that need improvement if you dig in but you start automating the Minecraft loop pretty much immediately and it's got actual tech progression so I'll at least be keeping an eye on it.

Gonna have to call this game a hot mess atm.
Its at its core a Minecraft clone along with its floating trees and potentially dangerous waters.
Dangerous because after jumping in I find out that this pond had just a layer of water and a cavern of air blocks underneath.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
I'm running a decently large (not SUPER big but still kinda big) mod list and I've noticed it's absolutely melting my CPU. I have no idea why but any time I load a new chunk I instantly drop to like 2fps. Are there any mods that can mitigate this somehow? I don't even know which mod would be causing it but I think it might just be a setting I accidentally turned on or something.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Thumbtacks posted:

I'm running a decently large (not SUPER big but still kinda big) mod list and I've noticed it's absolutely melting my CPU. I have no idea why but any time I load a new chunk I instantly drop to like 2fps. Are there any mods that can mitigate this somehow? I don't even know which mod would be causing it but I think it might just be a setting I accidentally turned on or something.

How many mods do you have, and how much RAM did you let Minecraft access? Worldgen (generating new map) is kind of a pig in vanilla to begin with; depending on the mods you added, you might be asking the local server to generate EVEN MORE poo poo and if there's not enough RAM, it'll slow to a crawl as it uses your swapfile for extra space.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
I think it’s like 12-18, somewhere around there. Someone suggested a forge command that can do it, might try that if it doesn’t obliterate my computer

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

dragonshardz posted:

How many mods do you have, and how much RAM did you let Minecraft access? Worldgen (generating new map) is kind of a pig in vanilla to begin with; depending on the mods you added, you might be asking the local server to generate EVEN MORE poo poo and if there's not enough RAM, it'll slow to a crawl as it uses your swapfile for extra space.

Oh god yes, I'm involved with an upcoming server that's still in the build/testing phase, and an attempt at pregen went horribly... because the ore generator being used set to "curves" meant that every chunk being generated had to check up to 20 chunks around it to see if the vein continued into it. It was taking ~2 seconds per chunk. Switching it out for clusters resulted in a much faster pregen time, especially important because we're pregenning a 50,000 block radius.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

The Redpower curse continues to this day

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I still remember when I bumped up oregen for BFSR that going too high would cause a runaway oregen scenario that would crash the game. I took the slap on the wrist and made the groups smaller and denser instead.

I was kind of hoping there was some algorithm that could procedurally generate the clumps as new chunks loaded, but that would be some voodoo moon math.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Been playing some Vintage Story and loving hell, this is brutal. I don't mind the finicky crafting, but the loving drifters are impossible to deal with. Even at 0.3 enemy strength they just murder you.

Depends
May 6, 2006
no.
I'm playing the Create pack with some friends and we've been having a lot of problems with chest and sign rendering. We will leave an area and when we come back none of the signs have text and half the chests don't render until you look at the spot they should be from close enough to interact. Also the Tinker smelter will show the red missing block indicator and you can't access the controller.
If I run about 10-15 chunks away and come back usually everything will show up but quitting to the menu and coming back or going into and back out of a nether portal doesn't help.
I haven't played many 1.16 packs so I didn't know if it could be version related, pack related, server related, or a mod causing it.

resting bort face
Jun 2, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Can someone recommend me a 1.8 mod that will allow me to annotate the maps I make? I find exploring my world and assembling a giant map with frames, square by square, very meditative, but I wish I could add little POIs with notes when I find something cool

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Would journeymap waypoints work for that? You'd have to manually hide the waypoints so your screen isn't covered in them if you have enough points though lol

Edit: ah wait I misread and thought you meant map as in world and not map as in the ingame item :doh:

Xun fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Jan 19, 2022

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I think the only way to annotate the map item is by placing banners.

resting bort face
Jun 2, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Black Pants posted:

I think the only way to annotate the map item is by placing banners.

I had no idea this was in the base game. Thanks for the heads up.

uniball
Oct 10, 2003

seems like the dust has settled from the big Omnifactory discord drama, and the dev version developer is forking and continuing as Nomifactory, with a hardcore mode version coming later. the original pack creator is going straight to developing Omnifactory Omega Mode.

i’m going to Nomifactory personally (saves are compatible for the time being)

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

the what

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

How about you start from the top

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
From what I can tell, the main dev of Omnifactory went MIA for a while so a community project was undertaken to continue development. And then the dev came back and wasn't happy about it.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Black Pants posted:

From what I can tell, the main dev of Omnifactory went MIA for a while so a community project was undertaken to continue development. And then the dev came back and wasn't happy about it.
The current dev apparently let crazy racists run wild and say whatever they wanted in the discord #offtopic politics channel and at some point the old dev showed up, saw the cesspool and started swinging the banhammer without talking to the new dev which kicked off a bunch of poo poo between them. There was a whole "explanation" in the announcements channel when it went down, but it it boils down to just a bunch of offsite drama.

Pack's still fun though and the orig dev is right, IMO there should have never been anything like an offsite politics channel in a game discord because those things destroy discord communities, as does ignoring a problem like someone making others feel unwelcome/unsafe.

This is all to say that what the old dev wasn't happy about had nothing to do with the pack itself or the design direction thereof; it was entirely about community management.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Jan 23, 2022

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Hey, concurrent modpack drama. GTNH (which I am still playing, over a year later) recently had a drama fork over one of the foundational mods (GT++). The new fork is called GTMega, and basically no one plays it. The drama went something like this:

* GT++'s author, Alkalus, had been AFK for a very long time, and her mod, GT++, was under an All Right Reserved license. (GTNH's devs are extremely unusual in that they actually take the licenses very, very seriously. I suspect this stance was borne out of some of the really old Technic/Plus+ drama.)
* Development of a replacement mod, codenamed "Obama", started.
* Alkalus suddenly came back one day, moved GT++ to a more permissive license, and even started actively developing it again.
* The main pack maintainers decide "meh, with GT++ back and in a state where we can actually change it, forget it, we're not gonna bother with Obama any more."
* A small group of people, comprising of some of the Obama devs and people who personally hate Alkalus for whatever reason, freak out, make the Obama repo private, and are banned for causing poo poo. They go start their own themepark, with blackjack, and Obama.

---

Unrelated, but GTNH had another huge content patch this month, 2.1.2.0. The biggest addition to the pack is Visual Prospecting. If you ever played GTNH, one of the worst parts of the pack was ore prospecting. It required a lot of manual bookmarking and chunk math. No more:

Any time you right click any ore, detect it with the ore finding wand, or run a seismic prospector, the ore is marked on your map. You can manually mark veins as depleted, and double click them to create a temporary waypoint.

It also works for underground fluids:

The devs are also actively backporting some of the JEI and AE2 features from Omnifactory. It's crazy that a modpack that's over seven years old at this point is still getting active development, new QOL upgrades, and even entirely new content mods.

Elswyyr
Mar 4, 2009

Now they just gotta remove infernal mobs, permanent warp and pollution (so i don't have to do it manually)

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Glad to know Minecraft mod drama never stops.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
God, i love mod drama. I should try to re-read all the adf.ly bullshit fro 13 and 14. :allears:

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Bhodi posted:

The current dev apparently let crazy racists run wild and say whatever they wanted in the discord #offtopic politics channel and at some point the old dev showed up, saw the cesspool and started swinging the banhammer without talking to the new dev which kicked off a bunch of poo poo between them. There was a whole "explanation" in the announcements channel when it went down, but it it boils down to just a bunch of offsite drama.

Pack's still fun though and the orig dev is right, IMO there should have never been anything like an offsite politics channel in a game discord because those things destroy discord communities, as does ignoring a problem like someone making others feel unwelcome/unsafe.

This is all to say that what the old dev wasn't happy about had nothing to do with the pack itself or the design direction thereof; it was entirely about community management.
I had a couple friends in that discord and to say there was crazy racist drama in the politics room (which... had no reason to exist in the first place, it's a Minecraft modpack server) is drastically underselling it. I don't know how or why it got that way but it was, from some of the excerpts they shared with me, one of the most mask-off places I've seen, even by capital G Gamer standards.

E: I don't have any quotes or excerpts on hand and this isn't really the thread for it anyway, but suffice to say "what's wrong with being a white supremacist" was spoken in earnest more than once.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Unrelated, but GTNH had another huge content patch this month, 2.1.2.0. The biggest addition to the pack is Visual Prospecting. If you ever played GTNH, one of the worst parts of the pack was ore prospecting. It required a lot of manual bookmarking and chunk math. No more:

Any time you right click any ore, detect it with the ore finding wand, or run a seismic prospector, the ore is marked on your map. You can manually mark veins as depleted, and double click them to create a temporary waypoint.

this extremely kicks rear end and may get me back in gtnh. i was playing omnifactory for a while, then got terminally distracted, and have been on All The Magic 2 lately

so in terms of the actual packs, drama aside, what's the difference between nomifactory and omnifactory omega aside from nomifactory having a bad name
(and which one is made by fewer nazis)

uniball
Oct 10, 2003

Patware posted:

so in terms of the actual packs, drama aside, what's the difference between nomifactory and omnifactory omega aside from nomifactory having a bad name
(and which one is made by fewer nazis)

re nazis: from what i can tell both the old omnifactory dev (Damien) and the interim omnifactory dev (Exa, now Nomifactory dev) are reasonable people with not awful opinions, and the split was not nazi freespeech dorks vs leftists but rather Damien overreacting - his words, he made a very respectable apology post about it - and banning Exa (and deleting all of his years of discord posts) because of a disagreement around one specific community management decision. the specific reason for the ban was evidently not #offtopolitics, it was about Exa reversing undocumented discord bans

Exa agrees (in hindsight) that the chan-style #offtopolitics should not have existed, and the new Nomifactory discord is structured as such, so i don't feel the same "hmmm" about being on that discord as i did being on the pre-rift Omnifactory one. but i guess if you really want to vote with your modpack, Damien appears to be a more principled antiracist than Exa

functionally: Omnifactory Omega Mode is evidently going to be like Project Ozone Kappa Mode, an even more expert mode for an already fairly expert mode pack. it appears that development of the main Omnifactory pack (the post-1.2.2 "dev" snapshots) is on hiatus. i think the only dev here is Damien, the original creator

Nomifactory has the devs that were driving the last two years of Omnifactory development (including PrototypeTrousers, who has made a really great fork of AE2 with a bunch of features and improvements over the now-EOL 1.12 mainline AE2). i chose Nomifactory because i like the current direction of the pack, and development continues to be rapid

congrats you are now an expert on another Minecraft Modding Schism. see you at the next one

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

sounds like nomifactory it is, then

but if i see a single secret swastika i'm gonna freak it!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uniball
Oct 10, 2003