Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

What about a layer of diatomaceous earth?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
I'm in the PNW and I'd like to grow a lot of carbs this year. I dont really have enough space for corn. Is there a better option than potatoes?

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

I'm in the PNW and I'd like to grow a lot of carbs this year. I dont really have enough space for corn. Is there a better option than potatoes?

You could try sunchoke, but like potatoes they will keep coming back until you make certain you’ve removed them all, and then two more years after that.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Jhet posted:

You could try sunchoke, but like potatoes they will keep coming back until you make certain you’ve removed them all, and then two more years after that.

Awesome I totally forgot about those thanks. I'm not panicking because burpees is selling out of stuff I wanted but I'm definitly pissed I didnt start earlier. Egg on my face thinking jan would be good enough. Are you doing any interesting peppers this year?

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Awesome I totally forgot about those thanks. I'm not panicking because burpees is selling out of stuff I wanted but I'm definitly pissed I didnt start earlier. Egg on my face thinking jan would be good enough. Are you doing any interesting peppers this year?

I’ve ordered from Filaree farms in the past for garlic and they’ve been great. They have potatoes and shallots too and don’t look sold out. They’re in Omak, WA so should be adapted to climate already. https://filareefarm.com/seed-potatoes-organic/

Mostly the same as last year, but I’ll probably buy some seeds anyway. We’re going to replace some beds with a greenhouse at some point this year, so peppers will be in pots. But I also cut out a mangled smokebush so I have more space for the pots in a different spot.

I left my Guatemalan Chiltepin alone, and 3 of 4 look to have made it through the snow we got. I’ll do more Fatalii and try the Scotch Bonnets in a different spot, and then cut out the 7pots entirely. I’m down to only doing scorpion and ghost varieties for super hots, but will probably do more of the medium sort of heat with Thai and Korean sorts. And more of the erjingtiao of course. I’ll be isolating them for seed again. We ate so many last year and I only have maybe 20 left dry. It’s a problem and I may do 8 plants this year.

Pioneer42
Jun 8, 2010

Jabronie posted:

Are carnivorous plants effective? I just bought a little venus fly trap after bringing in some plants with outdoor soil.

No guarantees. Depends a lot on location and circumstance. I have a windowsill above my kitchen sink that faces the morning sun. I keep a venus flytrap, pitcher, and sundew there. I keep a tally and we catch about thirty flies a year. Doesn't keep them from buzzing around a while and generally being annoying until they finally get caught, however.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
So this may be a Dumb Question but I was hoping to do some veggie and herb growing this spring...

Did I wait too long to get started?

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

So this may be a Dumb Question but I was hoping to do some veggie and herb growing this spring...

Not even close. You’ll be able to start seeds now, or buy plants in a month or two. Depends where you’re growing. If you’re looking for stuff for your tossed salads and scrambled eggs, then most of the Seattle nurseries are March for plants, but the seeds are already arriving. Elsewhere it’ll be down to season for starts, but they’ll have seeds most everywhere already.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Jhet posted:

I’ve ordered from Filaree farms in the past for garlic and they’ve been great. They have potatoes and shallots too and don’t look sold out. They’re in Omak, WA so should be adapted to climate already. https://filareefarm.com/seed-potatoes-organic/

Nice I hadn't heard of this farm, any recs on potatoes? Maybe low spread and high yield for dense small area planting if we're fantasizing here

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

You can always be growing stuff so no

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Okay cool. Now I know what a boy is to do.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Nice I hadn't heard of this farm, any recs on potatoes? Maybe low spread and high yield for dense small area planting if we're fantasizing here

I wish I did, but I tend to use space that potatoes might go in to have more peppers. The descriptions are pretty good and their estimates for garlic growing season were pretty close. If those don’t work, I’d try looking into potato grower association lists and see if you can’t track things down from there. Some will only work large scale of course, but most farmers love being appreciated and most are happy to give you some ideas on where you can actually find stuff.

It may be a little early for seed stock to have been posted yet too. They don’t get planted for a couple more months.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
Anyone know of a source for Lippia graveolens seedlings/seeds? It's one of several plants commonly called "Mexican oregano". I can find a couple places online but none that I've ever used before.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Is this also where I'd post about indoor plants? I got some succulents earlier this month and I"m curious about what these growths are and if they're a good/bad sign for the health of the plants.

LibCrusher
Jan 6, 2019

by Fluffdaddy

Agent355 posted:

Is this also where I'd post about indoor plants? I got some succulents earlier this month and I"m curious about what these growths are and if they're a good/bad sign for the health of the plants.

Those are flower stalks. Plant make flower :)

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Your plants are fixing to Netflix and chill.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Agent355 posted:

In general the Horticulture thread is where most indoor plant stuff goes, but the plants are fine. They'll make both babies and flowers on stalks like that.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Nosre posted:

Also: attacking multiple life stages at the same time. I use sticky traps to get the adults in addition to the bits water plan and have successfully fought off an infestation

This is so much more satisfying than going after the larvae. (Though I am of course doing that too.) My potato plant approves.

Tellingly, the traps in the other levels of the house have snagged almost none, which tells me my basement plants are the issue and not the houseplants.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Territorial Seed has tons of stuff and their seed farms (Willamette Valley) likely has the same USDA zone as you do. You'll get your seeds really quickly as well.

https://territorialseed.com/

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
I was just about to go and do a seed order from Kitazawa and they've apparently shacked up with some company called True Leaf Market in Utah.
https://www.trueleafmarket.com/ Has anyone heard about them before? It does not seem like they offer as much as they used to do, but it could just be the website is all pictures and less information dense. Just feels like one step closer to the same mass market seeds already.

Nukelear v.2
Jun 25, 2004
My optional title text
I'm just getting into gardening and among the many projects, I picked up a 3 foot thornless Mexican lime tree that I'm mostly planning to grow indoors. Since buying it last week I've lost a few leaves and the lower leaves are yellowing. It's not too severe yet but I'm wondering if this is to be expected or if I should be adjusting something.

It's new container is fairly large and has drainage. I used a tree and bush soil. I was going to wait for winter to end but this made me nervous so I added some 2-1-1 fertilizer the other day. It's in a corner with north and east facing windows, so it has light most of the day but direct sun for only a few hours. I've only watered it a couple times and the soil feels pretty dry for the first couple inches. I believe this plant shouldn't want too much water generally and especially not in the winter.

Just wondering if anyone has any ideas or suggestions on what I can do to not kill this.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Nukelear v.2 posted:

I'm just getting into gardening and among the many projects, I picked up a 3 foot thornless Mexican lime tree that I'm mostly planning to grow indoors. Since buying it last week I've lost a few leaves and the lower leaves are yellowing. It's not too severe yet but I'm wondering if this is to be expected or if I should be adjusting something.

It's new container is fairly large and has drainage. I used a tree and bush soil. I was going to wait for winter to end but this made me nervous so I added some 2-1-1 fertilizer the other day. It's in a corner with north and east facing windows, so it has light most of the day but direct sun for only a few hours. I've only watered it a couple times and the soil feels pretty dry for the first couple inches. I believe this plant shouldn't want too much water generally and especially not in the winter.

Just wondering if anyone has any ideas or suggestions on what I can do to not kill this.

I'm thinking you need a grow light, something like this could work for you: https://www.amazon.com/Claoner-Blue...s%2C396&sr=8-56

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Agent355 posted:

adding to what everybody said about your flower stalks—you’ll notice those little leaves on the stalk are kinda easy to brush off.

As the stalk ages they’ll get progressively easier and easier to remove (they’re detaching from the stalk) and you might notice little roots growing out of their bases.

Each one of those will propagate into a clone of the mother plant. Don’t bury them, but just leave them atop some soil and spritz them with water and you’ll have more Echeveria than you know what to do with in no time (if you do decide to grow them up, you’ll need to put them under artificial light. Sun works great too when seasonally appropriate, but indoor growing will be a lot more consistent/comfortable/manageable/successful).

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
Has anyone ever successfully grown and planted asparagus from seed? Searching this thread yields some people starting asparagus seeds and never posting the results. I keep reading online that starting from crowns is better because seeds take 3 years before you can harvest, but then my experience is crowns also take 3 (or more) years before harvest so it doesn't seem like you are gaining anything? I imagine the shock of being replanted causes you to essentially lose a year of plant development? Anyone have any insight?

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Arven posted:

Has anyone ever successfully grown and planted asparagus from seed? Searching this thread yields some people starting asparagus seeds and never posting the results. I keep reading online that starting from crowns is better because seeds take 3 years before you can harvest, but then my experience is crowns also take 3 (or more) years before harvest so it doesn't seem like you are gaining anything? I imagine the shock of being replanted causes you to essentially lose a year of plant development? Anyone have any insight?

You can have success either way and I’ve seen them both done. Seed takes a little longer, but crowns are fine too. Usually you can start picking a little the first couple years, but you’ll be drowning in asparagus by the third. It just takes time to establish.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Nukelear v.2 posted:

It sounds like it might like more light, yeah.

You’re right to keep the water light. Fertilizer is for when the plant is actively growing and nutrients are holding it back. Don’t give it more till growth takes off in the spring.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Anyone know how to sprout a grocery store sweet potato?

LibCrusher
Jan 6, 2019

by Fluffdaddy

CommonShore posted:

Anyone know how to sprout a grocery store sweet potato?

Leave it out in a bright spot and wait a month. Multiple plants can be cut from a single potato

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

Edit: Dead :rip:
I'm usually in TFR but I'm going to drop this in here since goons might be interested:
The Farm 24Plus and 24XL ones sold out real quick.

BeAuMaN fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Jan 23, 2022

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

BeAuMaN posted:

I'm usually in TFR but I'm going to drop this in here since goons might be interested:

The Farm 24Plus and 24XL ones sold out real quick.

Thanks for the heads up! At $400+ these things seemed like a joke, but $60 with tax is a whole lot better!

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

Yeah I could never get over the price point of these things, but I ended up ordering one. Hopefully the price mistake is honored and it ships!

Jabronie
Jun 4, 2011

In an investigation, details matter.

BeAuMaN posted:

Yeah I could never get over the price point of these things, but I ended up ordering one. Hopefully the price mistake is honored and it ships!

Thanks for the link. I'll try out the Bounty one. Looks like the Elite one is just in a stainless steel body. The black one sold out while I was browsing too.

Lowes does pretty steep discounts on clearance items around that percentage so I wouldn't doubt it. I bought a few bird/hummingbird feeders for a few dollars with their msrp listed at $40-60.

I never tried a hydroponic setup. I figure I'd do a nightshades / herb rotation on this 2' high setup. Is there trouble with transplant shock to the outdoors with plants coming out of this?

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
That was fast, they already fixed it.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Jabronie posted:

Lowes does pretty steep discounts on clearance items around that percentage so I wouldn't doubt it. I bought a few bird/hummingbird feeders for a few dollars with their msrp listed at $40-60.

Damnit I'm envious I want to fill my yard with them

Nukelear v.2
Jun 25, 2004
My optional title text

Solkanar512 posted:

I'm thinking you need a grow light, something like this could work for you: https://www.amazon.com/Claoner-Blue...s%2C396&sr=8-56

Thanks! I've got it moved to another window that should give it an extra hour of sun, plus the grow light above.

Spent this weekend building & painting a raised garden bed. It's got 8 one square foot plots. Got a variety of seeds coming in from Baker Creek; brandywine and sweetheart tomatoes, cantare beans, craig's grande jalapeno and Chijimisai spinach. Most excited for the tomatoes but anxious about how to prune and cage/stake them, I don't have much of a plan for that yet.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Arven posted:

I planted crowns last summer. They established pretty quickly and even though they weren't a huge yield variety put out enough shoots in year 1 that we at least got to sample them and still get some big honking ferns going. The guidance is generally two years after planting, but I've also read you can harvest in year 2 with crowns as long as you let the thin shoots (smaller than a pencil in diameter) fern and stop harvesting by July.

I'm pretty excited for them. Those few preview shoots were so tasty just raw from the garden.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Nukelear v.2 posted:

Spent this weekend building & painting a raised garden bed. It's got 8 one square foot plots. Got a variety of seeds coming in from Baker Creek; brandywine and sweetheart tomatoes, cantare beans, craig's grande jalapeno and Chijimisai spinach. Most excited for the tomatoes but anxious about how to prune and cage/stake them, I don't have much of a plan for that yet.
This isn't directed at you but just as a sort of recurring public service announcement: Baker Creek went to bat for Cliven fuckin Bundy. They invited him as a speaker to one of their public events, they did a profile piece on him where they called him a "land rights activist" or some poo poo, and when called on this they spent several days talking about ~*freedom*~ before finally un-inviting him because of "security concerns" for the event.

gently caress Baker Creek.

Here's where it was originally discussed as it happened in this very thread.

Nukelear v.2
Jun 25, 2004
My optional title text

SubG posted:

Well that's disappointing. Guess the Venn diagram of gardeners and right wing survivalist is apt to have a lot of overlap.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

I've had good and bad luck with asparagus. Dont forget where you planted them and turn over the bed :smith:

SubG posted:

This isn't directed at you but just as a sort of recurring public service announcement: Baker Creek went to bat for Cliven fuckin Bundy. They invited him as a speaker to one of their public events, they did a profile piece on him where they called him a "land rights activist" or some poo poo, and when called on this they spent several days talking about ~*freedom*~ before finally un-inviting him because of "security concerns" for the event.

Here's where it was originally discussed as it happened in this very thread.

Lol they had freedom quotes from B. Franklin in their magazine last year or the year before gently caress em

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

Arven posted:

I've grown asparagus from seed. I grew them in smallish pots (I think 4") for 6 months. Then planted them, they were about a foot tall after the first year. Year two they still weren't big enough to eat. By year three there were a few thin stalks. I didn't get a decent harvest until year 4. (by decent I mean enough for one person for one meal)

When I moved I used crowns in my new garden, just less hassle.

Also I think crowns are all male or female? Asparagus from seed will flower and produce small red berries and seed. I had birds eating the berries and pooping the seeds out in a different part of my yard, producing asparagus "weeds". Something to be aware of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Fozzy The Bear posted:

I've grown asparagus from seed. I grew them in smallish pots (I think 4") for 6 months. Then planted them, they were about a foot tall after the first year. Year two they still weren't big enough to eat. By year three there were a few thin stalks. I didn't get a decent harvest until year 4. (by decent I mean enough for one person for one meal)

When I moved I used crowns in my new garden, just less hassle.

Also I think crowns are all male or female? Asparagus from seed will flower and produce small red berries and seed. I had birds eating the berries and pooping the seeds out in a different part of my yard, producing asparagus "weeds". Something to be aware of.

That doesn't sound like the worst outcome. When I ordered crowns they gave me like 15 and I only planted 9 in my bed. (Which was still probably crowding them, but whatever.) So I planted some in poo poo soil on the property line and they did put up some babby stalks.