Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
my theory about this whole war scare is that either the west decided to go mad dog diplomacy or they got some fantastically wrong information

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

but why would our friends in ukraine ever lie

btw they are definitely not nazis because they pinkie swore that this was just a marriage of convenience to fight stalin

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Some Guy TT posted:

btw they are definitely not nazis because they pinkie swore that this was just a marriage of convenience to fight stalin

given that the west's war scare has even taken the ukranian government by complete surprise i suspect some brain dead analyst in langley or london has wildly misinterpreted minor russian troop deployments

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Some Guy TT posted:

how comparable is the situation with russian military bases on the ukrainian border to saying that the united states has plans to invade mexico because camp pendleton exists

us military bases are not hostile how dare you

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

Raskolnikov38 posted:

my theory about this whole war scare is that either the west decided to go mad dog diplomacy or they got some fantastically wrong information
I think a lot of it is individuals going on record as being "tough on Russia" so nobody yells at them after the fact for being a Neville Chamberlain like appeaser.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

quote:

3 x USAF C130J HKY729/731/732 to Tallin Estonia

""Russia warns that it will not tolerate if Kyiv and the West go on a provocation in Donbass and attack Russians - head of delegation in Vienna Gavrilov
""

""Video from Dover AFB released by Pentagon showing loading of 100+ Javelin ATGM's along with other weapons and ammo that arrived in Kyiv last night. The Javelin weapons was seemingly more discrete within the delivery
""
""
Half a dozen of these types of reports. huge uptick in US supply flights to Ukraine.
""

This is not a bluff. Not to say the invasion is 100% On but the likelihood is getting higher by the day it seems.

My hope is the Russian army is soundly defeated by Ukraine and is thrown into a crisis of existence.

lmao god d&d is the worst forum.

russia: yo dont attack us or our donbass client states
d&d: this is a clear threat of invasion

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

westerners: i hope russia dies a painful death
also westerners: why does russia keep acting like we're about to beat it to death

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

But have you considered: something something self determination something something Russia bad??

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Raskolnikov38 posted:

given that the west's war scare has even taken the ukranian government by complete surprise i suspect some brain dead analyst in langley or london has wildly misinterpreted minor russian troop deployments

I honestly have a hard time imagining that anything that is the result of external stimuli could result in that kind of media reaction.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Raskolnikov38 posted:

The funniest part was that article about how Russia's military has a limited logistics tether beyond their territory's railway network.

This is naturally indicative of a expansionist military and not a defensive military at all.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

US Coast Guard aircraft carrier sailing up river into Mongolia: this is perfectly normal and fine

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

HiroProtagonist posted:

Watching the absolute media control possessed by the MIC in the process of manufacturing consent all in real time is loving astounding every time i witness it

What's novel about it is they're manufacturing consent for a war that's not going to happen.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

What's novel about it is they're manufacturing consent for a war that's not going to happen.

Unless...?

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

If you want a coup, prepare for war

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

d&D's rebrand as the National Sovereignty Respecters is very jarring

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

Best Friends posted:

d&D's rebrand as the National Sovereignty Respecters is very jarring

surely there's a russian who used to work at Staples that they can get behind as the real president of ukraine

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

time to give Texas back to mexico
I guess

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

Can't all this just be Wag the Dog to cover up inflation woes?

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

They didn't even admit that inflation was real until recently, the previous invasion scare happened months before that.

Plus the markets went to poo poo on friday, so even it didn't even work if that's what it was supposed to be.

If this is playing to domestic politics then midterms are a more likely culprit.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

The war scare is an excuse to dump more weapons onto Ukraine, by convincing liberals it's sound policy to give ATGMs to Azov Battalion & Neo Gladio.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Raskolnikov38 posted:

i'm a man of peace but it's usually a safe bet that every day is opposite day for D&D predictions which means that ukraine will most certainly lose, the CCP will continue to not keel over and fall, and the curse of assad will strike again

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

The war scare is an excuse to dump more weapons onto Ukraine, by convincing liberals it's sound policy to give ATGMs to Azov Battalion & Neo Gladio.

Wouldn't that just be happening behind the scenes anyway

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Raskolnikov38 posted:

I still think its more because we ate major poo poo in Afghanistan in front of the entire world so now we are chest beating as hard as we can to try to make up for it

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/AnarchoCorvidae/status/1485357038045569025

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, why didn't you post this banger.

https://twitter.com/AnarchoCorvidae/status/1485357743275851776

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/michaelsobolik/status/1485079576430755840

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I have generational trauma, that's why I'm breaking Jewish storefront windows and flying the swastika flag

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Where's "I don't loving care about poo poo abroad" in there

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/DerekJGrossman/status/1485344570141413376

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/JohnRichmond1/status/1484635507913015297

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

And surely this is a baseless concern without any historical precedent.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

It's ok, everyone makes mistakes.

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

isn’t the CPRF a more potent opposition party than nalvany’s crew at this point?

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

What are your blokes thoughts on the possibility of conflict between Russia and the Ukraine

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

What I don’t get about the Triumphalist End of History foreign policy decisions is, what they hoped to gain from endzone dances on their vanquished foe?

Let’s say every liberal assumption held in 1995 remained true today - how does the US benefit from Bulgaria and Romania being in NATO? Presumably Russia is so thoroughly humiliated and shock doctrined as to never pose a threat again, so what’s the point?

I can see the chickens coming home to roost, I understand that nobody thought there’d be any negative consequences, but was their best-case scenario for positive consequences the token forces Bulgaria and Romania sent to Afghanistan? Seems like it wouldn’t be worth the mutual defence treaty, even on that Clintonian assumption they’d never need to be defended from anything.

If they thought the sailing was going to be that smooth, they may as well have let Russia join NATO when Yeltsin asked.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Some Guy TT posted:

thing is is ukraine is like "what?"

zelensky was on tv talking about how its nbd

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

my goon fav is pretending 2003 never happened and has no effect on policy

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

anarchists love stuff that can be completely destroyed by one dissenting vote

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

Frosted Flake posted:

Let’s say every liberal assumption held in 1995 remained true today - how does the US benefit from Bulgaria and Romania being in NATO? Presumably Russia is so thoroughly humiliated and shock doctrined as to never pose a threat again, so what’s the point?

It's not. Russian Capital is still held in Russian hands. Russian Capitalists have been expanding into outward into the region for quite some time. Last I checked companies in the 'Stans were increasingly owned by Russians.

That is not acceptable to the West.