Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Yeah, I think this is a Dyne situation.

And speaking of flames, I see that the boys in 2Slices are finally successfully gay for each other! Good for them!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Oh hey do people here know Bybloemen? It's been one of my recent webcomic follows and it's been a good time, the art is great and I've enjoyed the writing.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Joe Slowboat posted:

Oh hey do people here know Bybloemen? It's been one of my recent webcomic follows and it's been a good time, the art is great and I've enjoyed the writing.

Is that the one with demons selling tulip bulbs? I keep meaning to check that out.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Lucrezia would've been in a good spot to figure out something about how the Dyne works in her secret lab underneath the place where the castle draws its energy from the Dyne. I guess somebody who was already a mad scientist before finding the source of the Queens' power would be more diligent at investigating it than a Conan-style barbarian. And of course, since these queens apparently built their thrones atop already ancient temples and shrines, that means there's another level to whatever's going on with that.

Also I really can't figure out how the red-haired lady's face works.

Alaois posted:

and let me tell you something about jeph jacques

I do really like the weird mom and evil robot hive mind interaction going on.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once

Joe Slowboat posted:

its SO good. its so good. true edutainment. and the inking is superb

https://www.bybloemen.com/comic/chapter-3-anniversary-illustration

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
The General Webcomics thread is where we push webcomic discussions out of the nest like baby birds to see if they can fly on their own to get a thread or crash down to Earth to get mentioned once every few weeks.

Mafic Rhyolite
Nov 7, 2020

by Hand Knit
A couple podcasters I listen to started a podcast where they work through all of Homestuck and do a critical analysis of it so I ended up reading through the whole thing over the last few weeks and now I'm wondering something about what was in there while it was being uploaded.

Were the Terezi password page links always there as it was being made or did they only show up after they got to the point in the story when they're relevant? I'm guessing they weren't there in the first place, or at least had no solution?

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
yeah those were added in after it became relevant

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I didn't have the endurance to make it through all the human chatlogs, so I skimmed, but when the trolls got big, I got even less information from skimming the chatlogs, and eventually I had missed out on so much and didn't keep with updates at all so I quit at some point before it fully metastasized. From what I know about it, I think these features where what made it feel like something really special to get a huge following:
  • The adventure game gimmick. It feels like anything could happen, which made Problem Sleuth feel really magic too, the world could expand in any direction, in theory you might be one of the readers to affect things eventually, but even if you aren't, the organic nature of things gives a really unique feel. That was what made Problem Sleuth feel so magical from the story developing its own weird memes. And the community buzzing in the forums where commands are given already ensures that there's a higher level of following from an earlier point than most works have.
  • There was lots of lore to uncover, on multiple levels. There were the "game" mechanics, the things about each of the characters, their parents, the world they existed in, then the trolls, the weird primordial trolls, and the true nature of the game. A lot of people really go for sinking into icebergs of lore, and the tone of the work really meant that there could be some new thing that will tie everything together around every corner.
  • There was fancy mixed-media integration, which made everything seem really special
  • The writer really knew how to write in a way that really clicked with the internet and could really play into memes
  • The whole weird troll-sex diversion both was a way to promote readers to do some kind of more complex analysis of character relationships as well as a gateway to fans getting weird and crazy about being fans

Mafic Rhyolite
Nov 7, 2020

by Hand Knit
Yeah I can see why Homestuck was so big when it was being made, this kind of lore-heavy mystery box type of thing just became the entire media landscape that we're all sick of by now but at the time it was new and crazy to see in a webcomic.

It's funny reading it now after years of people talking about how impossible and complicated it is and just encountering a fairly simple and accessible story if you're willing to read through 8000+ pages.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

SlothfulCobra posted:

I didn't have the endurance to make it through all the human chatlogs, so I skimmed, but when the trolls got big, I got even less information from skimming the chatlogs, and eventually I had missed out on so much and didn't keep with updates at all so I quit at some point before it fully metastasized. From what I know about it, I think these features where what made it feel like something really special to get a huge following:
*snip*

Ah yeah the chatlogs got me too, I just couldn't deal with them anymore. They were fun early on, but they kept getting longer and longer as the story went on. Eventually it just got to a point where I had absolutely no idea what was going on, and then they started introducing a million more characters, so I just had to drop it.

The podcast, Homestuck Made This World, is basically about the points you listed here, yeah. Although they haven't gotten to the weird, complicated troll romance/sex stuff, that's gonna be fun. They also talk about the Homestuck thread from these very forums as a useful archival tool for contemporary reactions, since the official MSPA forums were nuked from orbit ages ago.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Mafic Rhyolite posted:

Yeah I can see why Homestuck was so big when it was being made, this kind of lore-heavy mystery box type of thing just became the entire media landscape that we're all sick of by now but at the time it was new and crazy to see in a webcomic.

It's funny reading it now after years of people talking about how impossible and complicated it is and just encountering a fairly simple and accessible story if you're willing to read through 8000+ pages.

There are the walkaround interludes, which can burn quite a lot of time if you're trying to get everything or even just most things or occasionally just trying to get all the way through. The idea of interactive bits with skippable optional content that readers could take or leave depending on their level of engagement with the deeper lore was an interesting one, although they were kind of slow and clunky. I also wonder how appealing they are to archival readers; when you were getting these big updates that were spaced out a bit, killing some extra time to plunge the walkarounds for scraps of content didn't seem so bad, but when you have the whole archive to read at your own pace I'd think that going back through extra routes and dialogue trees probably seems like more of a chore compared to simply moving on with the story. (Not that it matters super much anymore, since the interactive flashes have been replaced with embedded youtube videos.)

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

the holy poopacy posted:

There are the walkaround interludes, which can burn quite a lot of time if you're trying to get everything or even just most things or occasionally just trying to get all the way through. The idea of interactive bits with skippable optional content that readers could take or leave depending on their level of engagement with the deeper lore was an interesting one, although they were kind of slow and clunky. I also wonder how appealing they are to archival readers; when you were getting these big updates that were spaced out a bit, killing some extra time to plunge the walkarounds for scraps of content didn't seem so bad, but when you have the whole archive to read at your own pace I'd think that going back through extra routes and dialogue trees probably seems like more of a chore compared to simply moving on with the story. (Not that it matters super much anymore, since the interactive flashes have been replaced with embedded youtube videos.)

Flash sunsetting genuinely killed the Homestuck archive. [S] Past Karkat: Wake Up went from being a 1 hour walkaround RPG with various endings and secrets, and music that gave many of the playable characters their iconic leitmotifs, to a series of still screenshots.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Android Blues posted:

Flash sunsetting genuinely killed the Homestuck archive. [S] Past Karkat: Wake Up went from being a 1 hour walkaround RPG with various endings and secrets, and music that gave many of the playable characters their iconic leitmotifs, to a series of still screenshots.

Someone put together an archive program that has all the flashes (and a ton of other stuff).

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Begemot posted:

Someone put together an archive program that has all the flashes (and a ton of other stuff).
Funny story, Hussie has retweeted links to this on his personal twitter.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Ruffle is getting pretty good at playing flash content, which is why places like z0r (https://z0r.de/1889 :v:) mostly work again nowadays.

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

fun hater posted:

its SO good. its so good. true edutainment. and the inking is superb

https://www.bybloemen.com/comic/chapter-3-anniversary-illustration
holy poo poo look at that inking

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

an egg posted:

holy poo poo look at that inking

Bybloemen is real good, I recommend it, it also has Bird Content

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I liked reading Kingly.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Bongo Bill posted:

I liked reading Kingly.

dang, you got my hopes up that there was more

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
I find it somewhat amusingly telling that Tapas recently changed their site-wide favicon into something that looks suspiciously like a huge pile of poo poo...

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
I have a vague memory of a comic. There were demons in it, and every time one dies, it entered a deeper and more terrifying level of hell, which I think went on forever. I can't even remember if this was a big part of the comic. Anyone remember it?

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Pavlov posted:

I have a vague memory of a comic. There were demons in it, and every time one dies, it entered a deeper and more terrifying level of hell, which I think went on forever. I can't even remember if this was a big part of the comic. Anyone remember it?

Perhaps the Clandestinauts? Believe that went graphic novel-only.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

shirts and skins posted:

Perhaps the Clandestinauts? Believe that went graphic novel-only.

Hmm, that looks pretty familiar, might be it. Too bad they took it offline though.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Fayes breasts are far larger than her head in the latest QC. Seems weird.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Thanks, Kadarsh, you're helping)

(I'll admit, I was pretty skeptical that the payoff for Vattu would actually be worth the 1000 page meandering setup but looks like things are shaping up to prove me very wrong)

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Today's Oscar Wilde made me go back and check the heart chapter and I found something pretty funny:

https://www.wildelifecomic.com/comic/786

Looks like someone has a sense of humor about his stolen relics :v:

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
Classic coyote poo poo

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
I really want him to just yell that "Lester has it!" but Oscar ever made the decisions I thought he should make he wouldn't be in this situation to begin with. At least we know who he's dealing with now. Assuming this is Hekek or Tlaltecuhtli, somehow? Maybe someone novel too I suppose. My bet is on the second despite it being kind of a stretch, due to the missing eye and association with hearts.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jan 11, 2022

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

https://twitter.com/nedroid/status/1481648628762497036

A new Nedroid! It's a belated/very very early Christmas miracle!

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Every time I see a Nedroid I get two good laughs. One from the punchline of the comic in front of me, and one from my urge to go back and read the giant robot one on the basketball court.

Was he the one doing the colors for Squirrel Girl?

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
I've really enjoyed Abbeycourt Manor since someone linked it in the OotS thread. Nothing would make me happier than sharing it with the Bad Thread, but alas! I may lurk in BYOB, but never post.

Nevertheless, this might scratch some folks' itch in here.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

It got posted in the PYF Comics thread back when it was coming out, too. It's a wonderful farce. Looking forward to more Earl of Jesus Mountain when they get back to it!

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Bell_ posted:

I've really enjoyed Abbeycourt Manor since someone linked it in the OotS thread. Nothing would make me happier than sharing it with the Bad Thread, but alas! I may lurk in BYOB, but never post.

Nevertheless, this might scratch some folks' itch in here.

The Powerup Comics guy... guys?? I don't even know... might be the greatest living sequential artist.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

The artist actually came to the PYF thread for a while

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

One webcomic I remember liking, but haven't thought about in probably over a decade is Bob And George - so I figure I might as well spend some time re-reading it, to see how it holds up.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Jan 24, 2022

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
some of it does but it's mostly a historical artifact these days. updates with voiced flash animations!

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Scaramouche posted:

The artist actually came to the PYF thread for a while

For those interested:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3794989&userid=228858

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
Known forums poster and webcom maker Meredith Gran’s video game has a release date

https://twitter.com/granulac/status/1485638601824260108?s=20

PC and Mac only from what I can tell. Fingers crossed to see it on switch eventually!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

You know what's wild? Not only does User Friendly still exist, but there's still people active in it's weird not-a-forum under each comic.

Like I know we joke about SA being dead, but that's just surreal to me.