Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Casey Finnigan posted:

isn't Snyder the one who came up with the idea for Sucker Punch and wrote the screenplay and directed it? it seems like it's already his director's cut

No, they straight up mangled his original ending. I was wrong about the Extended Cut being a Director's Cut, but it's closer than the theatrical version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

McCloud posted:

I'm sure there's an isekai out there that does just that

I need to watch the one where the lady works herself to death in her 20s. And goes to a magical land where she can be lazy.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
the The Stand tv miniseries with Gary Sinese owned when I was 10. M O O N that spells thermonuclear detonation

Mantis42 posted:

No, they straight up mangled his original ending. I was wrong about the Extended Cut being a Director's Cut, but it's closer than the theatrical version.

what was the original ending

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

smarxist posted:

watching the HITB about Ghostbusters Afterlife and :hmmyes:ing a lot, one thing Rich said that was interesting to me was the scene of the Ecto-1 driving around looking awesome because it has such a cool iconic design, and here's this "new" movie referencing the old iconic design and picking up and trucking in these iconic images but not creating anything "new" so where is the "new"?

the last film i could think of that really pushed the envelope on culture and captured a lot of iconic imagery and pushed it out into the world to me is The Matrix

i mean MCU and DCU are just spinning the hits from the cold war era, imagery and all, and that has been basically all we've had since the millennia

It's funny that the sequels idea of "Remake the Matrix as he sees fit" is to have Neo use the same two or three powers from the original movie. They ran out of ideas pretty quick.

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005
After the wars we had a lot of "new" stuff because we had this huge population burst and a lot of new stuff.

The ghostbusters car is just a Hurst painted like a fire engine with some tech poo poo on top.

Cyberpunk in blade runner is two art styles Urban city, rain, neon, dark blues, for the on the floor action.

Then big buildings, big screen, industral burning tubes, and Flying cars that look like New York taxi cabs.

All the low having style fruit is picked.
Small rodent + unusual colour= Sonic the hedgehog.

So to make new stiff you have really work at it. Doom metal is harder to make than deathmetal because death metal is sped up thrash.

The most recent new pop style was probably silent Hill. Just make a world that looked likes an American gas station restroom.

And that is just organality. Movie are held back by a poo poo ton of copyrights. And movies are hard to make. A lot of money, time and people.

Worse yet, Americans never invested much into its arts outside of film. Like how the pyramids are preserved, basically younger generations are tasked with the upkeep of old brands.

mazzi Chart Czar has issued a correction as of 02:13 on Jan 24, 2022

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005
I think I heard this on the giant bomb cast or comic book club live. But a guest loved this one stormtrooper cosplay that looked like it had been beaten up: blackened and chipped armor.

Because it harked back to the original spirit of statwars which ran counter to 70's sifi films. All the sifi at that around was shiny silver space stuff.

Where as all the tech in starwars was old: A used sifi universe. (Also heavily biblical desert planets.) Everything in that world felt ancient.

But 40k makes starwars look like an iPhone.

My friend liked the prequels because it was doing something different. Sifi starwars space Rome.

Is starwars expandable?
It would be if it was on one big desert planets. Because then creators have to work.

Pod racing was cool.

But it started off too big and the space ship styles are a completely different style that fans don't want?

mazzi Chart Czar has issued a correction as of 02:29 on Jan 24, 2022

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

speaking of star wars, disney's new $5000 a night LARP hotel released a promo so bad it caused everyone to drop their reservations

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShJtfRY_hsE

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

mazzi Chart Czar posted:

My friend liked the prequels because it was doing something different. Sifi starwars space Rome.
i actually really didn't like the prequels at the time because the tech seemed so much fancier and shiny than something a couple decades later that it didn't make sense at all. why would tech regress?? later i can more appreciate that it was more an opulent gilded era of space neoliberalism decadent rome and what followed was mostly barbarians fighting with scraps

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Xaris posted:

i actually really didn't like the prequels at the time because the tech seemed so much fancier and shiny than something a couple decades later that it didn't make sense at all. why would tech regress?? later i can more appreciate that it was more an opulent gilded era of space neoliberalism decadent rome and what followed was mostly barbarians fighting with scraps

amidala's shiny ship was bullshit

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
I actually feel the ability to keep poo poo clean is directly correlated with a society's ability to travel the stars.

Prequel got worse as it went, only problem imho. I think people like the last one, but i think that's cause they enjoyed the jedis dying.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Bro Dad posted:

speaking of star wars, disney's new $5000 a night LARP hotel released a promo so bad it caused everyone to drop their reservations

looks like poo poo lol

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Bro Dad posted:

they should have provided zero promotional material, it would have sold out

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

i say swears online posted:

amidala's shiny ship was bullshit

yea but what about her hot sexy body ???

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Bro Dad posted:

why does he talk like that?

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

mazzi Chart Czar posted:

I need to watch the one where the lady works herself to death in her 20s. And goes to a magical land where she can be lazy.

theres a new one where two bros with no time for ladies get isekaid and one of them turns into a sexy lady, i assume the story ends with them loving

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Bro Dad posted:

god drat that really

Smythe posted:

looks like poo poo lol

the star trek experience in las vegas was pretty lame and cheapish but it st ill looked 1000x better than that plastic slop garbage

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

it must really look like poo poo in there if they aren't just trying to sell it as an instagram influencer hangout thing

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Farm Frenzy posted:

it must really look like poo poo in there if they aren't just trying to sell it as an instagram influencer hangout thing

they're trying to sell it as an immersive family experience but it's been under construction while the sequel movies shat the bed sooo

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Bro Dad posted:

that kid actually sounds like that?? I thought it was a character choice. good god

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Basically it's now only for physically stunted manchildren who actually like the sequels so the promo is actually perfect

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Bro Dad posted:

lmfao what the gently caress

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
have people already talked about the second season of picard where they seem to have just decided to go even harder on mashing in all the storylines and characters people liked together because people will guzzle on nastalgia nostalgia

at this point im a nostalgia accelerationist and hope we get force fed so much of it there's finally a backlash in spite of the evidence that our culture can produce just about nothing else

Dreylad has issued a correction as of 05:01 on Jan 24, 2022

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

this mf said nastalgia

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
also speak of star wars aethsetics, but apparently the guy who inspired a lot of the scuffed up sci-fi just died. jean-claude mézières.

didn't know much about him until now, pretty cool art. might be more worthwhile checking it out and appreciating it than doing the snyder chat tango.

indigi posted:

this mf said nastalgia

gently caress too slow on the edit. i have a two month old baby leave me alone!!

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

ok go check it out and post some then ?? idk what else to tell you

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
was the grink there?

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Dreylad posted:

also speak of star wars aethsetics, but apparently the guy who inspired a lot of the scuffed up sci-fi just died. jean-claude mézières.

didn't know much about him until now, pretty cool art. might be more worthwhile checking it out and appreciating it than doing the snyder chat tango.

gently caress too slow on the edit. i have a two month old baby leave me alone!!

that seems cool though the color palate isnt my thing. lotta cool scifi artists have died recently like hr giger, havent seen much in the way of modern people taking up like vein of weird techno-human or industrio-scifi art

not the gaming thread but the dune aesthetic is also super cool and Highfleet has been nailing it imo

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

sorry to bring up comic book movies but speaking of nostalgia i just watched Shazam and i actually kinda liked it, following the law that the only good superhero movies are for actual children and not adult children.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
isn't it called Kazaam?

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

I read revival by king when it came out and I still think about the ending from time to time. good book

e: we’ve moved on from Stephen king chat oh well

RandolphCarter has issued a correction as of 05:27 on Jan 24, 2022

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Dreylad posted:

have people already talked about the second season of picard where they seem to have just decided to go even harder on mashing in all the storylines and characters people liked together because people will guzzle on nastalgia nostalgia

at this point im a nostalgia accelerationist and hope we get force fed so much of it there's finally a backlash in spite of the evidence that our culture can produce just about nothing else

no way home has definitely created a sense of security in the industry that nostalgia can be mined indefinitely but i really think that movies going to be peak nostalgia because reusing the assets of the five preexisting spider man movies is like the very definition of a one time gimmick

RandolphCarter posted:

I read revival by king when it came out and I still think about the ending from time to time. good book

e: we’ve moved on from Stephen king chat oh well

dont you dare shut the gently caress up about stephen king chat every post discussing something thats not comic book movies makes it less likely that people will kramer in here saying all we talk about is comic book movies

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Some Guy TT posted:

no way home has definitely created a sense of security in the industry that nostalgia can be mined indefinitely but i really think that movies going to be peak nostalgia because reusing the assets of the five preexisting spider man movies is like the very definition of a one time gimmick

well that's optimistic

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.
I admire Stephen King for just constantly doing work. I faded out after Misery, but I think it's cool that the guy still seems to enjoy writing.

Some Guy TT posted:

It just seems like way too much trouble to do on a regular basis as well. All the contractual negotiations and filming scheduling and CGI de-aging... The behind-the-scenes accounting shenanigans must be amazing.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

i say swears online posted:

well that's optimistic

It's not even the first Spider-Man movie with that exact premise lol

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Some Guy TT posted:

dont you dare shut the gently caress up about stephen king chat every post discussing something thats not comic book movies makes it less likely that people will kramer in here saying all we talk about is comic book movies

1 page of non-comic book or star wars-related media chat in a 100 is pitiful

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Xaris posted:

that seems cool though the color palate isnt my thing. lotta cool scifi artists have died recently like hr giger, havent seen much in the way of modern people taking up like vein of weird techno-human or industrio-scifi art

not the gaming thread but the dune aesthetic is also super cool and Highfleet has been nailing it imo

highfleet looks amazing. yeah feels like everything is just on repeat right now in terms of art and I guess everything else. still you see this guy's (and im sure others) influence everywhere, from star wars to cowboy bebop

Eric Cantonese posted:

I admire Stephen King for just constantly doing work. I faded out after Misery, but I think it's cool that the guy still seems to enjoy writing.

guy was a huge alcoholic and was still turning out a book every year or something, then gets hit by a car and keeps going. his book on writing is a good read. its the only thing by him ive ever read

Dreylad has issued a correction as of 06:23 on Jan 24, 2022

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Stephen king was right about Kubriks adaptation of the shining, Jack practically starts crazy and evil. movie still rules though.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Dreylad posted:

Mézières died!? gently caress!

Him and Christin did the really good Valérian Space-Time Agent comic series that got adapted into a bad anime and a lovely movie. The comics are def worth a look though!

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

Goddam Batman 89 is so fuckin good.

Almost as good as Batman 66

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FORUMS USER 1135
Jan 14, 2004

One movie that really nailed the dilapidated future look is the original Solaris by Tarkovsky. It helps if you've read the book to understand what the gently caress is going on but the style is excellent. I think this is also why Alien 1-3 are great. They really have that feeling of a lived in universe