Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat

a mysterious cloak posted:

VCV rack is going to be the death of my wallet. I'm slowly getting the hang of it after using it only rarely, and now I'm like "It would be so nice to have actual knobs to turn..."

The Bitwig Grid had the opposite effect on me. Every time I drag a new instance of anything onto the surface, I think about how much money I'm saving because digital instances are free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

VCV rack is going to be the death of my wallet. I'm slowly getting the hang of it after using it only rarely, and now I'm like "It would be so nice to have actual knobs to turn..."

Come to the dark side! :sickos:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Every time I think about expanding into real modular I take inventory of how much room I have for more gadgets (basically none, I have a hundred hobbies), how many thousands I want to spend on it, and whether I'll ever actually make anything with it.

So far it's brought me back down to earth and I keep pretending in vcv.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
SunVox has finally seen a decently giant update to v2.0 after a long, long time:

https://warmplace.ru/soft/sunvox/

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
finally, my prayers for a microtonal grove box have been answered. gonna suck needing to keep an index card with the note frequencies for the tuning I'm working in and calculator to 2x 4x 8x the base frequencies and input all that manually but I guess hard work is a reasonable tradeoff for complete flexibility

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

ExiledTinkerer posted:

SunVox has finally seen a decently giant update to v2.0 after a long, long time:

https://warmplace.ru/soft/sunvox/

Those midi related updates are pretty neat.

A 5 operator FM synth sounds pretty dangerous, I tend to make nothing but static crap once I go over three.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Ok Comboomer posted:

nah, don’t apologize.

I think it’s very easy to go from “politics is irrelevant, everybody just respect each other” to giving cover to people with really exclusionary or bigoted views and aims.

Like if you knew that a big synthtuber or whatever was a racist and people here were obliviously singing his praises I’d want to know.

We were talking about Burzum a few days ago. I don’t think it’s responsible to pretend that Burzum’s artistic relevance doesn’t exist in the same context as Varg’s criminal history and nazism.

I don’t think it’s great to be like “check out this rad synth music Varg made in prison” without also being like “oh and btw, in case you didn’t know, Varg was in prison for this and this which is super uncool, just to be clear”

i mean to be even more clear i was definitely not trying to paint anything varg made as cool. i think burzum loving sucks i was mostly trying to do a jokey explanation of a pretty cool genre’s hosed up roots without condemning people who make dungeon synth now. sorry if i missed the mark

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

watho posted:

i mean to be even more clear i was definitely not trying to paint anything varg made as cool. i think burzum loving sucks i was mostly trying to do a jokey explanation of a pretty cool genre’s hosed up roots without condemning people who make dungeon synth now. sorry if i missed the mark

As a basically impartial observer, no, I didn't think you missed it.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

watho posted:

I’m sorry, I didn’t mean for my example to paint you as a sympathizer or anything like that. You didn’t miss the mark.

But if this were one of the lesser synth forums then yeah, you would absolutely have a bunch of guys posting apologia and an even bigger group of guys bellyaching about how cancel culture means that nobody can enjoy their favorite art anymore

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

you mean one of the two major forums that finally relented to changing its name after refusing for several years? oh yeah 100%

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

watho posted:

you mean one of the two major forums that finally relented to changing its name after refusing for several years? oh yeah 100%

remember that MW is full of people who hate MOOG and look for excuses to not buy their products and post about it because they’re too nice to trans people and women

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Wow, I just discovered MW a few months ago, and definitely sensed a weird vibe over there. Seems very gatekeep-y and a lot of “why did you post this thread? There’s already a thread about this from 2015 on page 12.”

Didn’t pick up on the casual misogyny and transphobia, but I’m aware of the original name only changing last year because a guy died. Doesn’t surprise me, some guys have “engineer brain,” which leads to binary “right or wrong” thinking. Makes sense in mathematics and electrical engineering, but a piss-poor way to approach life and humanity.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

Wow, I just discovered MW a few months ago, and definitely sensed a weird vibe over there. Seems very gatekeep-y and a lot of “why did you post this thread? There’s already a thread about this from 2015 on page 12.”

Didn’t pick up on the casual misogyny and transphobia, but I’m aware of the original name only changing last year because a guy died. Doesn’t surprise me, some guys have “engineer brain,” which leads to binary “right or wrong” thinking. Makes sense in mathematics and electrical engineering, but a piss-poor way to approach life and humanity.

Considering how important women and trans people have been throughout synth history, it's mind boggling to me how people think this way.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Yeah MW can be less than great sometimes. I think I find KVR more infuriating though. People there just want to argue all the drat time and it's extremely unchill.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

My only interaction with either site is when a question I typed into google brings up one of their chats. It's the best way to use them.

CatBlack
Sep 10, 2011

hello world
Got an NTS-1 for my birthday. What are some of your favorite user patches?

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

CatBlack posted:

Got an NTS-1 for my birthday. What are some of your favorite user patches?

Polychord, Cathedral, filtastep, bpm delay, those are all nice, roughly in that order of preference so far.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
A few weeks ago I pre-ordered the Erica Synths EDU series VCO module. I understand that eventually they'll release a rack and power supply for the series, but in the meantime could anyone recommend a decent power supply to get started? Would also love any recommendations for component kits to build and mess with since it'll be slow going for the rest of series to release. Ultimate goal is to learn and have some fun without diving off the bridge

Catatron Prime fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Jan 25, 2022

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

OSU_Matthew posted:

A few weeks ago I pre-ordered the Erica Synths EDU series VCO module. I understand that eventually they'll release a rack and power supply for the series, but in the meantime could anyone recommend a decent power supply to started? Would also love any recommendations for component kits to build and mess with with since it'll be slow going for the rest of series to release. Ultimate goal is to learn and have some fun without diving off the bridge

For other kits, I like Befaco a lot. I don’t know of any kits with better instructions. After you do a few of those, maybe look at some Zlob Modular stuff. I recommend the Diode Chaos module as it will give you three “chaotic” (not random) lfos and a random trigger in 3hp for around $50. Entropy is a good S&H plus white/pink/brown noise module (the S&H does need a pulse to change). Zlob stuff is relatively low cost, small, and stylish, but some of the instructions are a bit lacking (almost every module has at least one “sorry for the blurry photo!” in the instructions) and the designs trade depth for hp. Diode Chaos and Entropy are each 3hp, but you’ll be adding resistors side ways and stacking pcbs perpendicularly rather than in parallel.

After you’ve done about a dozen or so through-hole modules, if you’re feeling punchy you can get into the world of SMD with some Nonlinear Circuits stuff. They’re relatively low-cost and seem to be the consensus best place to start with SMD. By dumb luck I did one NLC module (Divide & Conquer clock divider) and had such a good time with it I immediately ordered some diy Mutable kits. Don’t do this. Not all SMD is the same, NLC stuff is size 0805, mutable stuff is 0603, which is smaller. Do more 0805 stuff before doing what I did. I murdered a Rings module I spent $150 on last week.

As for power, I’ve come around to preferring cases with built in power supplies. I started with a Moog 104hp case ($99) and a 4ms Power 35 ($157), but then got a Mantis (2 x 104hp with built-in power supply) for $335. I still use the Moog case to test out newly built modules, that way it’s isolated from the rest of my modules in case something goes wrong. When building, always use a multimeter to test continuity between the power pins before hooking up a module, and always test it without any other modules plugged in to the same power supply. Frying one module is bad, frying all of your modules would be devastating.

So even if you go for a smaller case at first, like a Nifty case or a TipTop Happy Ending, it will still have its uses later on down the line.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

For other kits, I like Befaco a lot. I don’t know of any kits with better instructions. After you do a few of those, maybe look at some Zlob Modular stuff. I recommend the Diode Chaos module as it will give you three “chaotic” (not random) lfos and a random trigger in 3hp for around $50. Entropy is a good S&H plus white/pink/brown noise module (the S&H does need a pulse to change). Zlob stuff is relatively low cost, small, and stylish, but some of the instructions are a bit lacking (almost every module has at least one “sorry for the blurry photo!” in the instructions) and the designs trade depth for hp. Diode Chaos and Entropy are each 3hp, but you’ll be adding resistors side ways and stacking pcbs perpendicularly rather than in parallel.

After you’ve done about a dozen or so through-hole modules, if you’re feeling punchy you can get into the world of SMD with some Nonlinear Circuits stuff. They’re relatively low-cost and seem to be the consensus best place to start with SMD. By dumb luck I did one NLC module (Divide & Conquer clock divider) and had such a good time with it I immediately ordered some diy Mutable kits. Don’t do this. Not all SMD is the same, NLC stuff is size 0805, mutable stuff is 0603, which is smaller. Do more 0805 stuff before doing what I did. I murdered a Rings module I spent $150 on last week.

As for power, I’ve come around to preferring cases with built in power supplies. I started with a Moog 104hp case ($99) and a 4ms Power 35 ($157), but then got a Mantis (2 x 104hp with built-in power supply) for $335. I still use the Moog case to test out newly built modules, that way it’s isolated from the rest of my modules in case something goes wrong. When building, always use a multimeter to test continuity between the power pins before hooking up a module, and always test it without any other modules plugged in to the same power supply. Frying one module is bad, frying all of your modules would be devastating.

So even if you go for a smaller case at first, like a Nifty case or a TipTop Happy Ending, it will still have its uses later on down the line.

Thank you! I just placed an order for a Tiptop case and am building out a cart with some of the modules you recommended. I love soldering and am wanting to learn more about circuit design and get more practice reading schematics as it's always been a goal to get some pcbs printed for custom projects. I'm actually pretty decent at SMD work and have a hot air rework station/solder paste for ICs. Onipanda posted in another thread about some really spiffy looking Mutables modules they bought PCBs for, but the components availability is pretty sparse right now when looking at the BOM. I probably need to just look through the components I've already got and see where that gets me

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

I’ve done over a dozen modules and still don’t feel like I understand circuit design and schematics and stuff. I feel very much like I’m painting by numbers.

Also, I didn’t own a reflow station until last week and my first syringe of solder paste is being delivered today, so you already sound like you’re ahead of me on some of this stuff. :lol:

Clavavisage
Nov 12, 2011
I use a Beringer CP1A on a mini-test-afforarack and have had no issues

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

I’ve done over a dozen modules and still don’t feel like I understand circuit design and schematics and stuff. I feel very much like I’m painting by numbers.

Hello darkness my old friend.

I am barely understanding the EE stuff at this point. In the past few months I went from understanding:

Volts x Amps = Watts
Resistors slow down current.

Now I understand:
Transistors do all kind of poo poo like multiplication
Diodes do all kinds of poo poo like flow control
Ohm's law (a little)

I have been building synth modules for like five months, and I love it.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

dexefiend posted:

Hello darkness my old friend.

I am barely understanding the EE stuff at this point. In the past few months I went from understanding:

Volts x Amps = Watts
Resistors slow down current.

Now I understand:
Transistors do all kind of poo poo like multiplication
Diodes do all kinds of poo poo like flow control
Ohm's law (a little)

I have been building synth modules for like five months, and I love it.

Yet, the goggles still do nothing.

JK, it's one of my fav AVs. Looks like a Warhammer thing but reminds me of Ranxerox.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

The one thing I’ve learned:

Power into parallel diodes with ferrite beads makes it so a bad module shouldn’t blow up the other modules in a rack.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

See, you have to sit and vibe with the gear. When gear decides it approves of you, it will let you make music.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Don't forget the holy unguents and incense, along with the correct recitations to appease the machine spirit.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

dexefiend posted:

Don't forget the holy unguents and incense, along with the correct recitations to appease the machine spirit.

Ganesha and Hanuman are your friends.

Speaking of Hanuman, can any of you cats and kitties walk me through the installation of an arduino sketch? I put together an Arduino project fine but the instructions for the software side of things seem really vague. Or maybe refer me to somebody who can? I don't really want to learn to program arduinos so much as just get the software on this thing and get going.

And BTW, I happened on another interesting project, an Arduino USB-MIDI adapter board for like 16lb and change + shipping. Have not tried this one out yet.

https://www.hobbytronics.co.uk/usb-host-board-v24

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

dexefiend posted:

:420:

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

petit choux posted:

Ganesha and Hanuman are your friends.

Speaking of Hanuman, can any of you cats and kitties walk me through the installation of an arduino sketch? I put together an Arduino project fine but the instructions for the software side of things seem really vague. Or maybe refer me to somebody who can? I don't really want to learn to program arduinos so much as just get the software on this thing and get going.

And BTW, I happened on another interesting project, an Arduino USB-MIDI adapter board for like 16lb and change + shipping. Have not tried this one out yet.

https://www.hobbytronics.co.uk/usb-host-board-v24

Google is absolutely your friend with this, I would start with Adafruit boards. I just started messing with the Bluefruit circuit and Circuit Python because I suck at C++. Adafruit is awesome to buy from and has a bunch of cool projects for inspiration. They also have neopixels, which are addressable LEDs that you can program to do cool stuff like this Daft Punk helmet I did for Halloween several years back:

Digging through old photos I also found an old one of the Modular synth my old guitar instructor had:

Arduino starter kit is also really helpful and has some projects and a book to walk you through them and understand stuff

For installing an arduino sketch, you first have to install the drivers for your board, hook it up and restart the arduino ide. Then figure out what port it's on (eg COM2, use device manager in windows). Then I would start with a test sketch, eg to blink an onboard light. Import and install any libraries in there (Sketch - Include Library). There's also a bunch of weird stuff with how the sketch is stored and folder naming, just find a spot to save them and don't mess with the folder structure till you get the hang of it. Then you need to select options for your board under Tools - Board (install as necessary from boards manager), set appropriate flash size, upload speed (typically something like 921600), set the port, etc. Serial debug mode is really helpful and can show you the output. Google any compiling errors as well, then once it compiles and you're connected, upload it to the board and let it do it's thing, and ta-da, you've got your sketch on the microcontroller!

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

Also, I didn’t own a reflow station until last week and my first syringe of solder paste is being delivered today, so you already sound like you’re ahead of me on some of this stuff. :lol:

build blacet modules and pay close attention to the circuits. you will learn things

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Cool, I may have questions later. But in other news, I finally got this fricking Doepfer thing out of its package and hooked up an accelerometer to it and it works! Now I've just got to finish the fricking enclosure!

Sorry to be so slow with it but it's happening!

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

(Hanuman bringin tha shakti!)

jasoneatspizza
Jul 6, 2010
Got a Circuit Tracks last week. Really liking this pick up and play approach to music composition, despite the limitations compared to working in a DAW. Mostly been making synthwave Hotline Miami sounding stuff, but wanted to challenge myself by making something more chill-sounding, so made this the other day:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vMSwfsWdbw

Just used the default sound pack. Only thing I did in Reaper was cut the low lows and add a limiter.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

jasoneatspizza posted:

Got a Circuit Tracks last week. Really liking this pick up and play approach to music composition, despite the limitations compared to working in a DAW. Mostly been making synthwave Hotline Miami sounding stuff, but wanted to challenge myself by making something more chill-sounding, so made this the other day:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vMSwfsWdbw

Just used the default sound pack. Only thing I did in Reaper was cut the low lows and add a limiter.

Cool! I keep feeling like there ought to be venues where people can come and chill and drink tea or whatever and have somebody playing stuff like this.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Jason eats pizza, and puts out cool chill tunes!
Thanks for sharing.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Here, sorry if I'm just wasting your time, you can just ignore me if you like. The PCB on the right is Doepfer's WE, or Wheel. I've found a handful of vendors that carry it at prices ranging from $50 to over $100. It provides all the functionality of mod and pitch wheels plus volume and aftertouch, plus one sustain pedal. And having attached it to a couple of accelerometer chips I can hopefully do some really fun stuff with it. This should give an impression of how it's hooked up. Open in new window for the large image if necessary.

And running it into my computer, here's what Asseca's Midimon VST sees:

You may recall about a year ago I bought this but I found so many other things to get fascinated with I've only just now gotten around to it. Hopefully before I sleep tonight I'll have made a little progress on this.

I've also found a really nice joystick that appears identical to the one Doepfer is using for their complete Eurorack joystick assembly they sell, and it's going for under $20 US. I've received one and it seems very high quality, at least for the price. 3 Axes and one button.

And so I intend to make at least one standalone joystick too, just for fun.

petit choux fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Jan 26, 2022

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
you're probably aware, but the analog sticks in video game controllers are dual pots. like, if you wanted a grip of joysticks on the cheap, you could cannibalize some busted playstation controllers

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

The Voice of Labor posted:

you're probably aware, but the analog sticks in video game controllers are dual pots. like, if you wanted a grip of joysticks on the cheap, you could cannibalize some busted playstation controllers

Yeah, I have one, it's pretty good too. Too many buttons for this Doepfer board though. I only discovered really good ones recently when I happened on a simulator joystick at the thrift.

That's really kind of an aside because my big deal was going to be about using the accelerometers. Although Doepfer is saying their board is going to have a revision that allows more types of MIDI to be sent, as of right now it can only do volume, aftertouch, pitchbend and mod. Who knows if it will ever see a rev. 2 or whatever. By the time they do that we'll probably have more easily accessible Arduino boards that can do that and more.

Question: with a truly multitimbral synth, can I use a pair of pitch wheels, each for a different voice?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
yeah. I mean, like, my old casio can do it. on a multitimbrle synth, each voice will have its own midi channel, hence it's own pitch bend on said channel. I think the bigger question is where or who you got the other two hands from