Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Alhazred posted:

I find it kinda weird that according to movies, tv show and books, Scandinavia is overrun by serial killers and the only detectives on the force are traumatized substance abusers.

It’s better than Florida which is also all those things but the cops are terribly in Incompotent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
The only thing IIRC about SVU was that at some point Stabler got so notorious for beating up suspects that they had to have an episode where a bunch of cases got ruined because of it.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
That’s because police procedural default to cheap action movies pretty quickly

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Alhazred posted:

I find it kinda weird that according to movies, tv show and books, Scandinavia is overrun by serial killers and the only detectives on the force are traumatized substance abusers.

Who needs to actually write a "character", when when you can just have a dude sipping whiskey on ice?

christmas boots posted:

The only thing IIRC about SVU was that at some point Stabler got so notorious for beating up suspects that they had to have an episode where a bunch of cases got ruined because of it.

Amazing.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

SVU is terrible because the entire premise for the series is that some crimes are so horrible that the police must go to every extreme in order to punish the guilty (not even the function of the police according to the police).

My favorite SVU scene, aside from Richard Belzer passing a basketball to Ice T that has a gibbon hidden inside, is one where a guy guilty of drug crimes who might know something about a murder runs from the police and falls into a trash compactor, but the operator is wearing headphones and so can’t hear his desperate pleas or agonized screams as he is crushed to death, and the police pursuing him just shrug and look at each other while it happens, making the whole thing a comic beat.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

I AM GRANDO posted:

My favorite SVU scene, aside from Richard Belzer passing a basketball to Ice T that has a gibbon hidden inside,

Please elaborate?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I'll always have a soft spot in my heart for the L&O franchise just because it's basically a WPA for New York actors.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

HopperUK posted:

Please elaborate?

My bad—it was the elderly captain:

https://twitter.com/niveaserrao/status/957999658923626497?lang=en

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

“Elderly” bitch cragen will gently caress your mom then shoot her for that insult

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Alhazred posted:

Obligatory:
https://mobile.twitter.com/misterabk/status/1346764056284151809

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Been on a Japanese detective novel kick, and one thing I absolutely love (might be a trope in other countries as well) where it’s like half the novel before the inept cop has to call in the ringer detective. Like they might be a pi, or a writer, or an old friend of the cop from college, but whatever they do they’re super good at solving mysteries, and they always call them in when things seem lost and I love it.

Thinking Tattoo murder case, devotion of suspect x, and the honjin murders if anyone’s curious

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Arguably also applies to Broadchurch S1

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

HopperUK posted:

Please elaborate?

The episode was about the cops taking down an animal smuggling racket and the smugglers were trying to sneak a gibbon onto a plane. That episode also had Big Boi playing a rapper who bought a smuggled tiger, then the cops made him give evidence and the smugglers murdered him by feeding him to a hyena. The cops thought this was funny. There's also a scene where one of the smugglers is hanging from a roof and one of the cops only saves him when the smuggler reveals he's an undercover cop.

DoomLazer
Jun 1, 2011

DoomLazer has a new favorite as of 08:26 on Jan 27, 2022

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Dick Wolf shows all suffer from his insane libertarian worldview even now, it's very clear the writer rooms are full of people just like how he saw things. Law and Order and the Chicago shows and all will do hour long blowjobs of cops as heroes who can't be questioned and you should just let them shoot who they think did it but also do A Very Special Episode during the height of the war on terror about how government surveillance was abusing people and all. Like, it's not that complex, it's just a small scale tyrant complex where the boot in your mouth needs to be from the state and not The State, but it does make really weird tone compared to the real hardcore copaganda.

Like Blue Bloods. Blue Bloods is absolutely psychotic, true genuine fascist bullshit piped into your mawmaw's TV all day. Just every episode is 'it was a good shoot and anyone who disagrees not only is anti-cop but is actively SUPPORTING the criminals and part of the cabal destroying this fair city.'

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
We are talking about this in the TVIV Law and Order thread that the Original/Vanilla Law and Order usually takes the middle road with police. It's just that you are following this precinct and since its TV we have to make the characters somewhat likable. Classic usually show the consequence of the police getting out of line or how truly rotten police can be.

Then SVU showed up, Stabler became popular and here we are.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

OG Law and Order is so good from seasons 4-13 or thereabouts

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Criminal Intent too, there'd two- three episodes a season with a crooked cop as the villain and police corruption was an entire season's through line.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Mooseontheloose posted:

We are talking about this in the TVIV Law and Order thread that the Original/Vanilla Law and Order usually takes the middle road with police. It's just that you are following this precinct and since its TV we have to make the characters somewhat likable. Classic usually show the consequence of the police getting out of line or how truly rotten police can be.

I mentioned it earlier in this thread, but yeah, I remember when they introduced this new prosecutor who was specifically there to stay on Stabler's rear end in order to make sure that confessions stopped getting thrown out of court on the grounds that Stabler beat the confessions out of people, and she was presented as the Bad Guy in that situation for wanting him to do his job properly.

Mohawk Potato
Jan 15, 2008

the_steve posted:

I mentioned it earlier in this thread, but yeah, I remember when they introduced this new prosecutor who was specifically there to stay on Stabler's rear end in order to make sure that confessions stopped getting thrown out of court on the grounds that Stabler beat the confessions out of people, and she was presented as the Bad Guy in that situation for wanting him to do his job properly.

There was one episode where Stabler was holding a guy to the ground, the guy ended up I think having a heart attack and dieing and it's all caught on phone video. Stabler is exonerated when its discovered the guy had a health issue. They also made sure to paint the protesters who called Stabler a bad cop as crazy people.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Every time Internal Affairs shows up: "Looks like the rat squad is in town again"

The problem with cop shows is that the cops are pretty much always right. So it ends up with a lot of "ends justify the means" crap where sure the cop goes too far but he did it because it was stopping a bad guy. Unlike the real world where you have some piece of poo poo who decides to just pin it on somebody they know can't fight back and don't really care who actually did it.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

muscles like this! posted:

Every time Internal Affairs shows up: "Looks like the rat squad is in town again"

The problem with cop shows is that the cops are pretty much always right. So it ends up with a lot of "ends justify the means" crap where sure the cop goes too far but he did it because it was stopping a bad guy. Unlike the real world where you have some piece of poo poo who decides to just pin it on somebody they know can't fight back and don't really care who actually did it.

Yeah this really hurt the Shield as it was a show that wanted to make a point about bad cops but undercut itself constantly with that poo poo

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

oldpainless posted:

OG Law and Order is so good from seasons 4-13 or thereabouts

The OG prosecutor was better than McCoy, too

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Theres a scene in the rom-com They Came Together (directed by the guy who did Wet Hot American Summer) where Stabler's character is at fancy-dress party.

He's in a superhero costume when he suddenly and desparately needs to use the bathroom. He gets to the toilet in time but he can't undo the zipper. The next time we cut to him he's dressed in just a bath-robe at the party. Someone then asks him why he left his superhero costume on the bathroom floor... full of poo poo. He just denies it and tries to play it off.

This has nothing to do with the thread, I just think it's a more dignified role than a TV cop who's always in the right.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

WaywardWoodwose posted:

Iv'e noticed it on my streaming platforms too, cop shows in full force, lionizing these entire cop families.
"In this family we don't talk about hard work, we just do it!"

Not actually new

Copaganda has been popular since radio shows and the dime novels before em

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vk5xnEL8mYg

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

DoomLazer posted:

I watched Dexter: New Blood and a lot of it felt like copaganda.

spoiler for minor plot details:
The police were constantly working on a shoestring budget that hampered their every move. They had to depend on wealthy podcasters to finance investigations.

There was also a scene where the small town billionaire criticized a teenage activist twice for judging him, and her hypocrisy in driving a lovely old car. He lent the cops his helicopter and I believe those were the only times he was even in the show. Seemed like your were supposed to think he was a murderer, but no, just a benevolent local billionaire.

That's one way to look at it I guess. Angela and the rest of the cops are just incompetent(nothing to do with budget) and the billionaire was absolutely meant to be a red herring.

idk how Dexter s9 was copaganda considering Angela may very well be the dumbest cop in the universe. All cops in Dexter have always been useless at best. Probably the most realistic part about the show.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

The cops are useless but I don’t think the show understands that which is part of the charm.

Dexterity is a hilariously dumb show…..most of the time

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Mooseontheloose posted:

Yeah, the original show was good for at least one or two episodes a season with lovely cops doing stuff. At a certain point, it becomes every older cop that Lennie Briscoe worked with in his past is corrupt in some way (And Briscoe was drunk for most of his time before the character is introduced). Same goes for the DA's office, such as all the stuff about McCoy going before the disciplinary committee during the mid-90s seasons with Ross.

The best example is probably Logan in the originally getting transferred to a dead-end spot in Staten Island for punching a homophobic politician (Admittedly, it was on camera and on the steps of the courthouse), while Stabler did worse stuff seemingly every season, not to mention 5-6 shootings, and rarely had any long term punishment.

Mohawk Potato posted:

There was one episode where Stabler was holding a guy to the ground, the guy ended up I think having a heart attack and dieing and it's all caught on phone video. Stabler is exonerated when its discovered the guy had a health issue. They also made sure to paint the protesters who called Stabler a bad cop as crazy people.

That one is a bit different and one of the few cases where Stabler didn't do anything crazy. The guy (Really a teenage boy) basically drops dead as Stabler is trying to cuff him against a wall or something, and ME Warner later rules it a homicide based on him having internal injuries consistent with being beaten up, followed by a shaky 2007-ish cell phone video coming out to make it look (To everyone but the viewers and Benson) like Stabler beat him up. However, Stabler tried to do CPR after the teen fainted that caused the internal injuries, which wasn't reported to Warner, and they then find out the kid had a health condition but had been off his meds (Going back to a teen pharm party they were investigating earlier in the episode).

Of course, things get even more insane later during the Speed Weed years and all the William Lewis-related episodes, but by that point SVU was long past trying to stay grounded.

This is another where the original L&O is sometimes (But not always) better. There's at least a handful of episodes (Particularly in the early years) where the main detectives pursue a case that IA thinks is nothing or closed for whatever reasons.

DoomLazer
Jun 1, 2011

DoomLazer has a new favorite as of 08:25 on Jan 27, 2022

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Later in the show Internal Affairs is pretty much 100% right about Stabler being a massive loving problem and not in a "goddamn rat squad" but everyone around him seriously concerned about how far he'll go.

There was, I recall, a single episode that was about a prison guard who beat his wife, and after he got arrested the Correctional Officers union basically went on strike until the cops let him free, but they stood up to the corrupt union and instead the guy went to trial and was found not guilty or something, causing Stabler to lament that they just made having a badge carte blanche to get away with domestic abuse.

There was more details but it had a stunning lack of awareness of the entire history of the show up to that point.

pentyne has a new favorite as of 02:21 on Jan 24, 2022

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

tactlessbastard posted:

The OG prosecutor was better than McCoy, too

Just don’t look up what Michael Moriarty has been up to since he left the show

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

I like L&O classic but SVU is just eye-rollingly awful at times.

I saw the episode 'P.C.' from season thirteen earlier this week and I was just in utter awe at how offensive it was and how bad they tried to make the lesbian community look.

https://lawandorder.fandom.com/wiki/P.C.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Vandar posted:

I like L&O classic but SVU is just eye-rollingly awful at times.

I saw the episode 'P.C.' from season thirteen earlier this week and I was just in utter awe at how offensive it was and how bad they tried to make the lesbian community look.

https://lawandorder.fandom.com/wiki/P.C.

“The scene where Babs attempts to kiss Olivia was an edited scene. The original scene included a kiss between the two, which NBC cut out.”

Hubba hubba, who hasn’t thought about Mariska Hargitay and Kathy Griffin getting it on

this is a joke, SVU’s ratings stunts suck poo poo and make the show immensely worse. Benson should have stayed with Dean Winters..

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
" Babs is thankful for the SVU's efforts for the first time, despite breaking up her boyfriend, and struggling to maintain the same support for her cause which she has now expanded to include all homosexuals, bisexuals and the like, not just lesbians. She apologizes to Benson and Stabler and promises to be more cooperative with the detectives in the future, even going so far as to make a pass at Stabler, kissing him, revealing the truth was she was attracted to him all along."

Babs spends the entire episode trying to convince idiot cops that this is a hate crime, it is a hate crime, but they spend their whole time obsessing over 'violent lesbians' to the point where other women are raped while they're chasing...a nickname...

But BABS learns HER lesson to 'be more cooperative' and wants to gently caress the abusive male cop too.

Cool. Cool cool cool.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
The episode of Stabler's bullshit that still sticks out the most to me is when he stalked a pedophile who was legitimately working to better himself and was keeping his urges under control. Stabler pretended to be a pedophile himself, and kept needling and egging the guy on to start raping kids again, until the guy finally snapped and did kidnap a kid. The guy ended up killing himself by jumping off a building.

It was such a massively lovely thing to do, I'm surprised it wasn't meant to be an opportunity to write Stabler out of the show.

Of course, even after they did write Stabler out of SVU, they ended up giving him his own show and he still has crossover episodes with SVU. :ughh:

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Schubalts posted:

The episode of Stabler's bullshit that still sticks out the most to me is when he stalked a pedophile who was legitimately working to better himself and was keeping his urges under control. Stabler pretended to be a pedophile himself, and kept needling and egging the guy on to start raping kids again, until the guy finally snapped and did kidnap a kid. The guy ended up killing himself by jumping off a building.

It was such a massively lovely thing to do, I'm surprised it wasn't meant to be an opportunity to write Stabler out of the show.

Of course, even after they did write Stabler out of SVU, they ended up giving him his own show and he still has crossover episodes with SVU. :ughh:

yea that ep is most people's first major example of 'wow SVU really is just The Stabler Show huh?'

It's so loving insane, they're still early on-ish so they have the other cops all 'wait you rented a van and made a fake identity specifically to sync your fake pedophilic compulsions with his just to make it easier to rile him up? That...feels a bit much' and all he would say would be the classic "THESE GUYS DON'T GET REFORMED" that'd become the show's entire mantra in time.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

There was also an episode where Stabler chased a pedo to Europe and when he finally caught him the cops were all "we don't have rules about beating up suspects here so go to town on him" and Stabler does.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

As the series progresses he gets more and more unStabler

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

There was also an episode where Stabler chased a pedo to Europe and when he finally caught him the cops were all "we don't have rules about beating up suspects here so go to town on him" and Stabler does.

this is official US govt policy for overseas detentions.