Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Anyone want to play for the next few weeks with new characters? Looking for ridiculous adventures while trying to get our corpses back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

We finally found the runestone to find Moder-- on the same mountain Moder is on, half the world away during a multi-day mountain scouting run :v:

Burns
May 10, 2008

My Moder spawn is on a island surrounded by Mistlands.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

Burns posted:

My Moder spawn is on a island surrounded by Mistlands.

Cool seed.

Burns
May 10, 2008

So im about to gift the game to 2 buddies. I want to get a server game going. Are there any free or cheap servers available that yall would recommend?

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.

Sixto Lezcano posted:

My crazy dream is a way to take a world file and "age" it - weather all the structures and stuff, change up some landmarks - and play as the next generation of vikings. Stumble on your old bases, broken down with holes in the roof and poo poo. Cuz yeah, our server has been going through several cycles of players and it's so drat cool to stumble on someone's little settlement that they've long since abandoned. And such a relief when you need a place to fix your gear and cook some food.

This is such a cool idea because in the lore that's exactly what all the premade ruins are, and I love fixing those up to make quick bases while exploring.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Burns posted:

So im about to gift the game to 2 buddies. I want to get a server game going. Are there any free or cheap servers available that yall would recommend?

There was someone in the thread a while back asking if people wanted to join their server. Maybe browse back and see if that poster is still interested.

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

If y’all just want a server to play on I have one up - details are posted in the Valheim thread in Private Game Servers. It reset itself when we left it alone for a few months so it’s totally fresh.

If you’re looking to run your own server the place we rent thru, Survival Servers, is pretty cheap and straightforward. Never had any bad experiences.

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.
It is also fairly straight forward to run one locally on your machine while also playing, assuming you have any hardware made in the last 5 years. I was running two servers and playing on my old i5-3750k without any issue.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Sixto Lezcano posted:

If y’all just want a server to play on I have one up - details are posted in the Valheim thread in Private Game Servers. It reset itself when we left it alone for a few months so it’s totally fresh.

I threw you some questions over in PGS in case you don't check there regularly. Thanks for the offer!

Burns
May 10, 2008

Thanks for the tips. I rented one through gtxgames. I dont want to run locally as everyome has difff life schedules so just a place for them to play as they want.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I've run it locally. Just used a spare, old laptop I had left around that was acting as a media server for the household. Valheim isn't very challenging on processing if it's not that many players. We had 5 players simultaneously on my old potato-level laptop sitting in a corner.

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007

Burns posted:

Gonna throw out a recommendation that worked well for me: use a free trial for Google Cloud Platform. You get either 60 or 90 days free and the VM options it includes were more than enough for two players and so should handle three without trouble.

You have to set the server up from scratch, but there are guides that will take you through it step by step. I sometimes do stuff like this at work so I may be underestimating the difficulty, but following the instructions and Googling errors should get you through everything in about an hour, less if your reading comprehension is better than mine. The trial period is plenty of time to explore the current content. Just be sure to grab your world file at the end of the trial so you can move it to another service.

BrianRx fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Jan 30, 2022

Burns
May 10, 2008

Our first boat trip to find the elder ended in near disaster. We hit the shore hard and at night so the noise instantly drew a troll which we didnt see and a bunch of greydrawfs. My two companions died but i managed to stay alive long enough to build a portal, but because i needed some wood for the workbench the noise from cutting down a small tree still drew more greydwafs. We did manage to cut them down and establish an outpost. So lesson to be taken away is dont invade new shores at night.

Dr_Gee
Apr 26, 2008
idk that sounds like a pretty rad landing clusterfuck that still went okay in the end

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
This Wednesday is the game's launch anniversary and I think something big is planned. Devs strongly hinted that the caves update (which will include a bunch of other things as well) might be released soon.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
I hope we get something cool, but my expectations are tempered after H&H. I would settle for some bug fixes at this point, the world that I had been playing most recently has buggy crypts that crash the game when I walk into specific spots and it sucks a lot.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
https://twitter.com/Valheimgame/status/1488200151621582853

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

I was hoping for a surprise update today but I'll settle for some pretty screenshots:

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/892970/view/3124937623694535167

quote:

Aside from the Steam Deck, we’re also putting the finishing touches to the Mountain update that we’ve teased in our previous Steam posts. We’re really excited to share it with you, and we hope that this can get you in the right mood for it as well:

Alongside the Mountain update, we’ve also been ramping up work on Mistlands. The phase of nailing down the core concept is done, and we know what kind of inhabitants we want the biome to have. This means we’re now working on a bunch of new build pieces and enemies, as well as defining more of the new mechanics we will be introducing (though we’d like to keep those secret for a while longer). Here’s a little piece of concept art to get a feeling of where we’re heading:

Thank you all again for having been with us this past year, and we’re looking forward to many more adventures to come!

The Iron Gate team

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
That Mistlands moth...bug...thing looks super cool.

Can't wait to get horribly murdered by one, somehow.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
So, there will be mountain caves and dungeons? Or maybe caves mixed with dungeons? Cool.

I hope those moths will be less annoying than drakes

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Drakes haven't given me much trouble. It's mosquitos making a random-death zone anywhere within a mile of the plains biome when you're still rocking full troll hide armor that has annoyed me. Now I just completely avoid plains biome as soon as I see it on the horizon until I'm geared up for it.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
mosquitos are so brutal early when you accidentally wander into the plains but it’s one of those things that makes you feel like a badass when you come back after progressing further and absolutely dominate them

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Generation Internet posted:

I was hoping for a surprise update today but I'll settle for some pretty screenshots:

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/892970/view/3124937623694535167

That's it? Ok then. Look forward to exploring the Far North in 2026 I guess

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Feb 2, 2022

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

PittTheElder posted:

That's it? Ok then. Look forward to exploring the Far North in 2026 I guess

Seriously, what the gently caress. They had great momentum at launch, and instead of going balls-to-the-wall and greatly expanding their team to accelerate pace of development, it seems they're going at the same pace and taking their time with everything? What a waste of opportunity.

A game like this that gets a massive surge of popularity should aim for one content update a month, imo.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Yeah like I'm all for them taking their time with content so that it's done right. But it kind of feels like they're just faffing about. They have two unfinished, empty biomes just sitting there and instead of focusing on those first they've spent a year making hot tubs and random furniture and doodads for the other biomes. It just feels like they're fixated on putting up beautiful curtains while they're still missing a roof on the house. Finish building the framework then fill it in.

Tbh they could have just ended it at the plains biome to put a cap on the game and it would've felt complete. Then adding random furniture and stuff wouldn't have seemed so odd. The fact that the game feels unfinished is entirely of their own making, but they had no idea it would be so successful so I can understand them putting everything they had out there. I get to critique with the benefit of hindsight.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

They don't want to expand their team because they want to have a small team because its more fun. I'd like more content too but I'm happy they are doing what they love the way they want to do it.

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
Well, I hope they enjoyed their brief moment under the spotlight then...

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
That brief moment gave them enough cash to Do this for as long as they want. I don't think they give a poo poo about the spotlight

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

toadee posted:

They don't want to expand their team because they want to have a small team because its more fun. I'd like more content too but I'm happy they are doing what they love the way they want to do it.

I'm 100% for that and think it's cool. The problem is they should focus that team on finishing/adding to the game's content instead of making viking beard combs and poo poo for a year.

OK some of the stuff they added was cool admittedly but the obliterator isn't going to make me come back and explore another world or whatever. If the obliterator required materials from the brand-new mist biome then gently caress yeah!

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

Well, I hope they enjoyed their brief moment under the spotlight then...

Seems like they have, yes. It's funded them for the next however long enough that they're comfortable taking their time with things instead of over-hiring or crunching.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

Hakarne posted:

I'm 100% for that and think it's cool. The problem is they should focus that team on finishing/adding to the game's content instead of making viking beard combs and poo poo for a year.

OK some of the stuff they added was cool admittedly but the obliterator isn't going to make me come back and explore another world or whatever. If the obliterator required materials from the brand-new mist biome then gently caress yeah!

I came back specifically for the viking beard combs and stuff. The combat and biomes are just a nice time gate to enjoy with friends to gather things for the important part: building a Viking hot tub palace. To each their own though

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Magmarashi posted:

Seems like they have, yes. It's funded them for the next however long enough that they're comfortable taking their time with things instead of over-hiring or crunching.

It's a good way to generate a shitload of resentment among your playerbase, that's for sure.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
does the final boss of the game still drop a placeholder item and an ability that’s useless because elemental damage is basically non existent?

the amount of times you see people resorting to “dollars per hour played” says a lot

causticBeet fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Feb 2, 2022

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

It's a good way to generate a shitload of resentment among your playerbase, that's for sure.

I'm not resentful, I certainly got way more enjoyment out of this early access obviously unfinished game than the 20 buck price tag would have got me in a lot of other places. It'll be there in my steam library when there is more to do

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Without a large expansion of combat mechanics and exploration rewards the primary purpose seems like it will always be building Viking villages and forts. Adding more doodads to that part of the game seems pretty important.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

On the other hand, if you quit playing because they’re not doing what you want can you really be considered the playerbase.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Kibayasu posted:

Without a large expansion of combat mechanics and exploration rewards the primary purpose seems like it will always be building Viking villages and forts. Adding more doodads to that part of the game seems pretty important.

I got it cause the base building looked actually important to the progression, instead of just something you did in one spot and forgot about, and while the combat isn't bad the building aspect has been, by far, where I've got most of my enjoyment. It works in a way that is very satisfying and when you play with someone else it's fun to wander the wilds and find little outposts scattered about.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

I'm a little bummed that at their stated pace of 6-9 months per biome the game won't be 'done' for years but I am glad they're committed to quality and have enough funding to not feel rushed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C

Devs ill need such a playerbase.