Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

All the M&Ms are DTF.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srWqOGTYMk8

Except Yellow, he prefers to watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Zereth posted:

Ultima Online had the population in the pvp servers drop like a loving rock when the non-pvp servers were opened. It doesn't work anymore, it only ever worked because the PVPers and non-PVPers were stuck in the same sandbox which was the only game in town, and now the non-PVPers can go play one of a million other games.

Even in EVE most of the population sticks to high security space.

Happens a lot especially since PvPers tend to unsurprisingly mostly be awful people who want to gank all the noobs and inevitably poo poo where they eat.

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!
When you died in UO, you dropped whatever you were carrying. So house key, rune to teleport to said house and whatever gold you were carrying. So it was constant bank trips to deposit these items if you dared to try to enter a dungeon. PVP was 4 players surrounding and melee attacking you. No skill, no finesse just strength in numbers. You basically had a game where you suspected everyone and was always on edge, waiting to be ganked.
It was less a sandbox and more a playground run by bullies.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Today I remembered the MMO I was thinking of was the Lord British related Shroud of the Avatar. There was a thread ages ago about it. The failed marketing of other MMOs is interesting to learn about. No goons, just lol

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

Today I remembered the MMO I was thinking of was the Lord British related Shroud of the Avatar. There was a thread ages ago about it. The failed marketing of other MMOs is interesting to learn about. No goons, just lol

failed mmos are great because you can tell right away they are a scam or run by people who have no idea how modern game design works. or both. and they are always funny trainwrecks to see in motion

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

The amount of MMOs that arose in the wake of WoW and quickly died off because their designers had no idea why WoW was so successful is still just amazing to me.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Vandar posted:

The amount of MMOs that arose in the wake of WoW and quickly died off because their designers had no idea why WoW was so successful is still just amazing to me.

Also the wave of MMOS that arose in the wake of those going "we're not Babby's First MMO like WoW, we're hardcore like the early MMOs!" and also failed because they didn't learn the reasons WoW supplanted Everquest et al.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Amazon's latest trainwreck, New World, also made that mistake. They had to hastily redesign the entire game because the beta testers hated it

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

wildstar had the developers, in an incredible marketing and PR move, actually insult the players for beating a raid after it was nerfed several times to make it playable. wildstar no longer exists lol

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
The other thing was that WoW already captured the market - you'd have to do something notably better than WoW to get people to abandon characters they put hundreds of hours into, and most MMOs don't.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Can a person be their own worst DMM? I think Gina Carano might be the most recent.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Cowslips Warren posted:

Can a person be their own worst DMM? I think Gina Carano might be the most recent.

Wasn't she actually going to get her own Mandalorian spinoff series? Imagine making GBS threads on your chances to make that kind of money because you couldn't keep your loving mouth shut.

It's ok though, she's making a movie with Ben Shapiro now.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

wildstar had the developers, in an incredible marketing and PR move, actually insult the players for beating a raid after it was nerfed several times to make it playable. wildstar no longer exists lol

Every time Wildstar comes up, I immediately think of the giant, endless list of bullshit you had to do become endgame ready.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

Was that the game where the devs got pissy when a player did the math to point out that a raid boss was actually impossible to brat even with optimal play?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Memento posted:

Wasn't she actually going to get her own Mandalorian spinoff series? Imagine making GBS threads on your chances to make that kind of money because you couldn't keep your loving mouth shut.

It's ok though, she's making a movie with Ben Shapiro now.

Apparently she was an extra rear end in a top hat because Pedro Pascal has a trans sibling and tried to explain why she was being wrong and she just didn't care.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Memento posted:

Imagine making GBS threads on your chances to make that kind of money because you couldn't keep your loving mouth shut.

Just trying her best to comply with truth-in-advertising laws

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Hel posted:

Was that the game where the devs got pissy when a player did the math to point out that a raid boss was actually impossible to brat even with optimal play?

yea they hitched their ride HARD to 'hasn't WoW become TOO EASY with its WELFARE PURPS and BABY RAIDS??? We're the guys making a game more like OLD WoW. You know, when every raid had massive attunement quests that took ages to do just to gain access to the raid that really was only hard because it was early internet era and 'raid resources' were hard to share so 90% of the time you relied on one or two guys in the guild to explain as best they can what's gonna happen? Well we're doing that, but we're going to make the raid literally impossible to do to simulate that'.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

To add to this, the raid developers on Wildstar would actually shadow raids and if they saw a clear that they didn't like, they'd patch the boss so that method would become impossible. The boss nerfs only came about when they became absolutely desperate for any playerbase to stick around, and even then they were smug pricks about it.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

Note that "playable" is literal here, it was released in a literally unbeatable state. No hyperbole, it was not possible to beat it before several rounds of nerfs happened.

John Murdoch posted:

Every time Wildstar comes up, I immediately think of the giant, endless list of bullshit you had to do become endgame ready.
That could permanently break and the devs couldn't fix! Here, have a n 8 hour xp boost potion and make a new character! (it would take much longer than 8 hours to get up to where you could start trying the attunement chain again)

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

I can't remember if a dev ever confirmed this or not, but most players felt it was pretty obvious that Carbine had a set timeline for when raids were supposed to be beaten.
And that they did this so they could keep claiming "THIS GAME IS HARDCORE, CUPCAKE", and more importantly artifically extend the life of the endgame.

And speaking of hardcore cupcakes, let's bring this back too marketing.

The marketing was all over the place, sure it was all "THIS GAME ISN'T FOR BABIES LIKE YOU CUPCAKE!" but it was so cheesy and cartoony that it was hard to tell if the game really was only for hardcore serious players, or if that was just marketing and this was another standard theme park MMO.

The thing was the game didn't seem to know either.

Because the basic leveling experience wasn't all that hard, you could get to max level easily just by running around doing quests and the odd dungeon.
But then you hit this wall that was attunement, and beyond that wall was this extremely difficult, and for a while literally impossible, content that required a ridiculous amount of skill and planning.

So you ended up with two kinds of players

Casuals like me who enjoyed the game up until they hit that wall, then just wandered off to another game.

And hardcore players imported from WoW raiding guilds who blitzed through the content, only to find themselves beating their heads against raids designed to be impossible. And by the time they could be beaten many of the raiders had gone back to WoW, and since all the casuals left to play dress up with their chocobos they had no way of replacing them, so they just all disbanded.

Wildstar was just a never ending storm of bad decisions.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Pulsarcat posted:

Casuals like me who enjoyed the game up until they hit that wall, then just wandered off to another game.

That was me, but I got the game and 90 days for free, so they never got anything out of me at all.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
What's that about Pedro Pascal? Did some drama happen?

Dead on Arrival
Nov 4, 2008

Nitrox posted:

What's that about Pedro Pascal? Did some drama happen?

When Gina first started putting her foot in her mouth he sat her down and tried to explain proper pronouns and naming to her. She then doubled down on being a right-wing choad. From all accounts Pedro is one of the sweetest people in the world.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

And while Pascal is just a nice and good person in general, it was especially personal and upsetting for him because his sister is Lux Pascal, a trans actor in Chile.

He asked Carano to tone it down, she went on twitter and dropped one of those standard "I love all people and hate all bullies" type general posts that really just means "stop looking at me" then a week later changed her profile to have the pronouns "beep/boop" and that was the end of that.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I thought there were reports that she got so out and blatant with things a group of people including Pascal went "It's us or her", and they removed her instead.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

bobjr posted:

I thought there were reports that she got so out and blatant with things a group of people including Pascal went "It's us or her", and they removed her instead.

All I saw about that is that Carano was decrying an "us vs. them" mentality and then her chud fans wanted Pascal fired because he posted on instagram comparing trump supporters to nazis and confederates. Also, Carano said it was wrong of Pascal to post Senator Ted Cruz' publicly available phone number on twitter. Of course, she said all these things on Ben Shapiro's show, so she got no pushback whatsoever.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

John Murdoch posted:

:shepface:

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Ten Unique World Bosses! Like Metal Maw and Metal Maw Prime! Stem Dragon and other Stem Dragon!

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Schubalts posted:

To add to this, the raid developers on Wildstar would actually shadow raids and if they saw a clear that they didn't like, they'd patch the boss so that method would become impossible. The boss nerfs only came about when they became absolutely desperate for any playerbase to stick around, and even then they were smug pricks about it.

I think part of this is because the game launched with 2 raids, a 20 player raid and a 40 player raid. You had to beat the 20 to access (and gear for) the 40, but the 40 was actually extremely incomplete for months after the game's launch (for all I know it was never completed). So they tried to hide this by intentionally making bosses impossible, and then buffing them if anyone found away around them.

Also lol 40 player raid

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
lowering NPC healthbars must be earned, and only by the most clever & dedicated poop sockers

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Mierenneuker posted:

All the M&Ms are DTF.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srWqOGTYMk8

Except Yellow, he prefers to watch.

That was so clearly Billy West that it sounded more like Philip J. Fry in an M&M costume.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

lobsterminator posted:

That was so clearly Billy West that it sounded more like Philip J. Fry in an M&M costume.

Pretty sure the M&M came first.

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Pretty sure the M&M came first.

Well they do melt in your mouth, as it were.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I don't know, I never met the guy!

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Cowslips Warren posted:

Aaron Rodgers.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

The Moon Monster posted:

I think part of this is because the game launched with 2 raids, a 20 player raid and a 40 player raid. You had to beat the 20 to access (and gear for) the 40, but the 40 was actually extremely incomplete for months after the game's launch (for all I know it was never completed). So they tried to hide this by intentionally making bosses impossible, and then buffing them if anyone found away around them.

Also lol 40 player raid

Couldn't they have put an even longer and more laborious attunement between Raid 1 and Raid 2? Requiring an absurd amount of daily rep grind or something?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

The Lone Badger posted:

Couldn't they have put an even longer and more laborious attunement between Raid 1 and Raid 2? Requiring an absurd amount of daily rep grind or something?
They can't brag about how difficult and hardcore the raid is if nobody's failed at the (deliberate impossible) actual raid yet.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
https://twitter.com/hosoterratoma/status/1484271436709924866
Oh, wow. Good lord!

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

"Oh, how bad could it...oh, okay then."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

The most charitable take is maybe she's heard the term used by a vaguely racist grandparent, and it's so rarely used anywhere else that she honestly didn't know.