Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Megillah Gorilla posted:

The only reason this went through is because they went before a judge who's a massive CHUD.

Judge Mark McGinnis got tossed out of his job as a truancy court judge for mocking disabled kids and unilaterally tossing black kids into care without informing their parents.

[url=https://www.wearegreenbay.com/news/local-news/report-on-truancy-court-determines-judge-mcginnis-behavior-as-abusive/]

Jesus Christ there's always more and it's always worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires
https://theintercept.com/2022/01/23/enbridge-pipeline-line-3-tracking-indigenous-protesters/

Just a corporation designating indigenous groups as "threats" and performing surveillance, cool normal stuff

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I wanted to know more about truancy court and instead found this weird bit on wikipedia about Denmark

quote:

In Denmark, some welfare benefits[clarification needed] can be confiscated for a period if the child does not attend school. However, not all cities use this approach to keep the children in school.[6] Most cities[clarification needed] watch for families who have not returned their children to school after the summer vacation because some groups exiled their children to their ethnic home countries for behavior modification. In the city of Aarhus, 155 children had not turned up one week after school started.

Can you just banish your children to the blightlands for not going to school in Europe or something

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Shame Boy posted:

I wanted to know more about truancy court and instead found this weird bit on wikipedia about Denmark

Can you just banish your children to the blightlands for not going to school in Europe or something

Dunno about the welfare bit but here in norway parents (and the state) have a duty and responsibility of making sure kids go to a real school. If i, as a parent, decide to pull my son out of school, i would be royally hosed by the government.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Biplane posted:

Truancy court system

The gently caress is this? How is this a thing?

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Skippy McPants posted:

The gently caress is this? How is this a thing?

Racism and the overwhelming need to punish the poor. In short, capitalism.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Biplane posted:

Racism and the overwhelming need to punish the poor. In short, capitalism.

Yeah but also the American need to attach an "incentive" to every goddamn thing.

And inability to do so except through violence

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Biplane posted:

Dunno about the welfare bit but here in norway parents (and the state) have a duty and responsibility of making sure kids go to a real school. If i, as a parent, decide to pull my son out of school, i would be royally hosed by the government.

I mean yes I'm pretty sure that's what the "truancy court" thing is about too, basically everywhere with compulsory education has that, I'm more confused by the suspicious line about "ethnic" people somehow smuggling their kids out of the country during summer vacation

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Shame Boy posted:

I mean yes I'm pretty sure that's what the "truancy court" thing is about too, basically everywhere with compulsory education has that, I'm more confused by the suspicious line about "ethnic" people somehow smuggling their kids out of the country during summer vacation

No truancy court is about jailing and punishing kids and their parents, for profit. The "right to education" thing we have going here is not like that. Like, maybe you as a parent will be fined, forced to send your kid back to school etc. Not sending literal children to jail for skipping school or being too black or whatever. E: also denmark is very racist. Every foreigner is a muslim who will send his underage children to the middle east to be raped!!!

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Shame Boy posted:

isn't denmark really islamophobic

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Jazerus posted:

isn't denmark really islamophobic

Yeah. We do have some actual stories about kids getting sent to the middle east by their parents because they were acting "too Danish", but as usual, the reaction is completely out of proportion, and probably does more to further alienate Muslims in Denmark. I think the point is more about punishing people for being brown than about money though.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Biplane posted:

No truancy court is about jailing and punishing kids and their parents, for profit. The "right to education" thing we have going here is not like that. Like, maybe you as a parent will be fined, forced to send your kid back to school etc. Not sending literal children to jail for skipping school or being too black or whatever. E: also denmark is very racist. Every foreigner is a muslim who will send his underage children to the middle east to be raped!!!

Where are you getting that, because I'm not finding any "they can send your kid to jail for profit!!!!" poo poo. Like usually Florida picks the worst possible version of any system so I can usually just check our local laws, but according to that the most they can do is order the kid and/or parents to do various things like attend counseling, and if they don't comply with that then they can refer the case to social services.

I mean I'm willing to believe there's prolly districts out there that will arrest your kid for not going to school but even if you assume the profit motive it makes a lot more sense to arrest and fine the parents since kids tend to not have any money

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Shame Boy posted:

Where are you getting that, because I'm not finding any "they can send your kid to jail for profit!!!!" poo poo. Like usually Florida picks the worst possible version of any system so I can usually just check our local laws, but according to that the most they can do is order the kid and/or parents to do various things like attend counseling, and if they don't comply with that then they can refer the case to social services.

I mean I'm willing to believe there's prolly districts out there that will arrest your kid for not going to school but even if you assume the profit motive it makes a lot more sense to arrest and fine the parents since kids tend to not have any money

Looks like Wisconsin leaves it to the local government. Here’s the list of penalties they can grab bag from when they write the ordinance — (b) and (h) jump out at me

(2) A county, city, village or town may enact an ordinance prohibiting a person under 18 years of age from being a habitual truant. The ordinance shall provide which of the following dispositions are available to the court:
(a) Suspension of the person's operating privilege for not less than 30 days nor more than one year. The court may take possession of any suspended license. If the court takes possession of a license, it shall destroy the license. The court shall forward to the department of transportation a notice stating the reason for and the duration of the suspension.
(b) An order for the person to participate in counseling or a supervised work program or other community service work as described in s. 938.34 (5g). The costs of any such counseling, supervised work program or other community service work may be assessed against the person, the parents or guardian of the person, or both. Any county department of human services or social services, community agency, public agency or nonprofit charitable organization administering a supervised work program or other community service work to which a person is assigned pursuant to an order under this paragraph acting in good faith has immunity from any civil liability in excess of $25,000 for any act or omission by or impacting on that person.
(c) An order for the person to remain at home except during hours in which the person is attending religious worship or a school program, including travel time required to get to and from the school program or place of worship. The order may permit a person to leave his or her home if the person is accompanied by a parent or guardian.
(d) An order for the person to attend an educational program as described in s. 938.34 (7d).
(e) An order for the department of workforce development to revoke, under s. 103.72, a permit under s. 103.70 authorizing the employment of the person.
(f) An order for the person to be placed in a teen court program as described in s. 938.342 (1g) (f).
(g) An order for the person to attend school.
(h) A forfeiture of not more than $500 plus costs, subject to s. 938.37. All or part of the forfeiture plus costs may be assessed against the person, the parents or guardian of the person, or both.
(i) Any other reasonable conditions consistent with this subsection, including a curfew, restrictions as to going to or remaining on specified premises and restrictions on associating with other children or adults.
(j) An order placing the person under formal or informal supervision, as described in s. 938.34 (2), for up to one year.
(k) An order for the person's parent, guardian or legal custodian to participate in counseling at the parent's, guardian's or legal custodian's own expense or to attend school with the person, or both.
(L) An order for the person to report to a youth report center after school, in the evening, on weekends, on other nonschool days, or at any other time that the person is not under immediate adult supervision, for participation in the social, behavioral, academic, community service, and other programming of the center as described in s. 938.342 (1g) (k).

https://docs.legis.wisconsin.gov/statutes/statutes/118/16/4

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/sashaperigo/status/1485411223810150402

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
The US: We can't build public transport because ~*reasons*~, and we can't pay people what they're worth because ~~**more reasons**~~, but we can run an entire for-profit court system that enslaves children because WE'RE THE GRAETEST COUNTRY IN THE WORLD!!!!

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Lol I thought American TV shows where the cops slam on the brakes if they see a child between 9am and 3pm were playing up an urban myth or something.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Weatherman posted:

The US: We can't build public transport because ~*reasons*~, and we can't pay people what they're worth because ~~**more reasons**~~, but we can run an entire for-profit court system that enslaves children because WE'RE THE GRAETEST COUNTRY IN THE WORLD!!!!

Lot of words to describe more cop funding

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Even the fundamentals of medical ethics and job self-preservation are no match for severe cryptobrains

https://twitter.com/dwnews/status/1485331247807279107?t=E_CHOSZn6baNORP9j1n9JA&s=19

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
Technically not truancy court, but:

https://www.propublica.org/article/black-children-were-jailed-for-a-crime-that-doesnt-exist

https://www.dnj.com/story/news/crim...ort/6553923001/

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

someone better invade and fix this shithole country

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

a couple of judges got convicted in 2008 for getting kickbacks from private juvenile prisons

"private juvenile prisons" gda

and they're just the ones that got caught

quote:

Acting under a rarely used power established in 1722 and reserved for extraordinary circumstances, known as "King's Bench jurisdiction", the Pennsylvania Supreme Court appointed Senior Judge Arthur Grim of the Berks County Court of Common Pleas as special master to review all juvenile cases handled by Ciavarella on February 11, 2009. He returned with his findings in an interim report dated March 11, 2009. He recommended that all adjudications handed down by Ciavarella from 2003 to 2008 be vacated, and that the affected juveniles' records be expunged. He concluded that due to Ciavarella's disregard for the juveniles' constitutional rights, as well as the kickbacks, no one who appeared before Ciavarella in that period had a truly impartial hearing. On March 26, 2009, the Supreme Court approved Grim's recommendations and ruled that Ciavarella had violated the constitutional rights of thousands of juveniles, and initially hundreds of juvenile adjudications were ordered overturned.

stringless has issued a correction as of 14:30 on Jan 24, 2022

Adjectivist Philosophy
Oct 6, 2003

When you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss also gazes into you.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

He was so bad, he got the entire truancy court system shut down.

Ah, an accelerationist

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

Megillah Gorilla posted:

The only reason this went through is because they went before a judge who's a massive CHUD.

Judge Mark McGinnis got tossed out of his job as a truancy court judge for mocking disabled kids and unilaterally tossing black kids into care without informing their parents.

He was so bad, he got the entire truancy court system shut down.

talk about failing up

or possibly just "too white to fail"

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

FFT posted:

a couple of judges got convicted in 2008 for getting kickbacks from private juvenile prisons

"private juvenile prisons" gda

and they're just the ones that got caught

I had no idea Pennsylvania had a king

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

me either but apparently it's an old way to describe how a state's Supreme Court (or equivalent) has greater jurisdiction than lower courts and can exercise it when poo poo's out of hand

Florida, New Mexico, New York, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, Virginia, and Wisconsin apparently still use the term but the only notable examples are in Pennsylvania

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I know Pennsylvania is also one of those weirdos that calls themselves a commonwealth instead of a state so maybe it has to do with that.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

evilpicard posted:

Lol I thought American TV shows where the cops slam on the brakes if they see a child between 9am and 3pm were playing up an urban myth or something.

Finding out that gary oldman in the professional is pretty on point

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

evilpicard posted:

the most brain bending thing is when schools punished kids for skipping school by suspending them. your punishment for not going to school was... being told not to come to school

i guess they realized that suspending kids who don't give a gently caress was basically rewarding their bad behavior, so they started in-school-suspension, where you have to go to school and sit in a room in the back hallway all day. students and faculty alike actually called it "the hole" at my old high school

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
pretty authoritarian to punish kids who are clearly exercising their freedoms, do ya think

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Palladium posted:

pretty authoritarian to punish kids who are clearly exercising their freedoms, do ya think

Don't worry we're trying to fix that by making it okay to take your kids out of school for various kinds of child labor

AxGrap
Jan 11, 2005

☝☯ Ŧ𝓤𝒸Ҝ 𝓨𝕠𝔲! 🐼👽

Shame Boy posted:

I got sent for a month to a private Christian work camp for truancy when I was a teenager.
You were not allowed to talk about hip hop or rock and roll among other things, which really devastated this one kid who only and always wanted to talk about Elvis. He got in trouble so much for talking about old Elvis movies lol. It added a week to his sentence.

BIG HORNY COW
Apr 11, 2003

The second I saw "Rutherford County" I knew it was gonna be bad

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Shame Boy posted:

Don't worry we're trying to fix that by making it okay to take your kids out of school for various kinds of child labor

how many extra steps can we add for slavery

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
But the good news is a few state legislators are going to introduce a bill to remove her. Spoiler it won't pass

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

AxGrap posted:

I got sent for a month to a private Christian work camp for truancy when I was a teenager.
You were not allowed to talk about hip hop or rock and roll among other things, which really devastated this one kid who only and always wanted to talk about Elvis. He got in trouble so much for talking about old Elvis movies lol. It added a week to his sentence.

Cool hand lmbo

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

BIG HORNY COW posted:

The second I saw "Rutherford County" I knew it was gonna be bad

Murfreesboro has sucked since about 2010, sorry to break it to you. I lived there for 5~ years off/on as early as 2002.

Davis Market closing was really a sign of the times.

E: goddamnit, I just remembered Davis was where I used to get Dr. Enuf soda. Miss that flat rear end 7up knockoff. Also the $7 gallons of keg beer Davis would sell back in the 00s.

There's a nice, not well known trail south-ish of town called Cedar Glades and Flat Rock trail, about a 3.5 mile loop. Great place to scatter some weed seeds.

CRUSTY MINGE has issued a correction as of 18:00 on Jan 24, 2022

BIG HORNY COW
Apr 11, 2003

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Murfreesboro has sucked since about 2010, sorry to break it to you. I lived there for 5~ years off/on as early as 2002.

Davis Market closing was really a sign of the times.

E: goddamnit, I just remembered Davis was where I used to get Dr. Enuf soda. Miss that flat rear end 7up knockoff. Also the $7 gallons of keg beer Davis would sell back in the 00s.

There's a nice, not well known trail south-ish of town called Cedar Glades and Flat Rock trail, about a 3.5 mile loop. Great place to scatter some weed seeds.

I was there 2007-2010, lived right around the corner from Davis Market.

Every time I see the words "Rutherford County" in a news article it's always the most heinous, racist poo poo. Never fails.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Yeah, I pretty much have the same reaction when I see Rutherford County or Murfreesboro.

poo poo, '07-10. That was when I lived there longest. Tennessee Park apartments, then a place on New Salem. Worked at a lovely karaoke bar called Duggers for a while. Then I moved to Memphis. Lol. Now I'm in Colorado, much nicer all around, but still problematic as Boebert is my congresscritter. I don't know if that's better or worse than Blackburn.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I literally only know what a "Murfreesboro" is because Strong Bad said it once in a sbemail

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Shame Boy posted:

I literally only know what a "Murfreesboro" is because Strong Bad said it once in a sbemail

There was a goon that wrote about it in his streetsweeper thread a decade or so ago. Bruiser, maybe? Also micromancer is from the general area.

E: also Bonnaroo is about 30 miles southwest in Manchester.

E2: it's also briefly referenced in The Stand, the book.