Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Bishyaler posted:

You can just guess one instead of doing process of elimination
I don't know what you mean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

I think Warren's top demo was either teachers or librarians, but I can't remember whether that was supporters from polling or by campaign contribution.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Bishyaler posted:

The real question is what doomed her campaign: The racist ancestry claim, the racist kitsch on her dining room wall, drinking a beer on instagram like an insane weirdo, or slowly lowering her medicare for all position into a trashcan.

There's always the whole sexism thing.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

I am still consuming as much information about the Ukraine situation as I can so this opinion of mine might be very off base but..

I feel like the clock is ticking, Russia can't hold this posture for any sustained period of time due to the logistical challenges that come with holding what is essentially a war footing.

I don't know how unprecedented this is but I was kind of shocked to see that the naval exercises Russia is conducting encompasses literally the entire navy. Not to discount the fact that every day that passes more and more munitions and supplies are flooding into Ukraine from various countries around the world.

Basically I think Putin will fold or make a move pretty dang quickly, this is not something that is going to drag on for months.

Terminal autist
May 17, 2018

by vyelkin
Dont think anyone needs to defend the lifelong republican until she was 40 who pretended to be native to get a job. Shes a pretty objectively awful person

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
This isn't meant as a defense of Warren, but the Cherokee ancestry thing reads more as utterly tone-deaf ignorance rather than racism imo. I remember talking to local folks (I live/work on a rez) at the time and they just thought it was dumb as hell. Which, sure, anecdotes. But consider the history of blood quantum--many tribal nations require a certain % blood quantum for enrollment. This was imposed on them by the US federal government as a legacy of American racism and an attempt at soft genocide (intermarriage would eventually lead to fewer and fewer tribal members on the rolls and an excuse to just terminate federal recognition of the tribe). It's not how most tribal nations regarded themselves.

Specifically, the Cherokee Nation determines membership not by blood quantum but by lineal descent: if you can demonstrate you had an ancestor listed on the Dawes Rolls, you can enroll, blood quantum doesn't matter.

So at least the local perception was more along the lines of Warren (and her campaign) completely whiffing and having zero understanding of the fraught history and politics of blood quantum.

Bishyaler
Dec 30, 2009
Megamarm

Kalit posted:

There's always the whole sexism thing.

The flip side of that argument is that sexism was part of her appeal. Take an old white man with Warren's history and positions, swap her out for him, and that person would've been laughed out of the primary. They would've been an entirely unremarkable ex-republican with tepid positions that changed by the week.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

Bishyaler posted:

The flip side of that argument is that sexism was part of her appeal. Take an old white man with Warren's history and positions, swap her out for him, and that person would've been laughed out of the primary. They would've been an entirely unremarkable ex-republican with tepid positions that changed by the week.

:confused: How would an old white man with similar history/positions of Warren have performed worse?

Terminal autist
May 17, 2018

by vyelkin

Kalit posted:

:confused: How would an old white man with similar history/positions of Warren have performed worse?

Imagine how the media would have reacted if Bernie had pretended to be Jewish.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

Fritz the Horse posted:

This isn't meant as a defense of Warren, but the Cherokee ancestry thing reads more as utterly tone-deaf ignorance rather than racism imo.

I think that's still racism, as (broadly) some of the worst types of racism i have to deal with comes from that whole general area. I almost prefer racism that requires malice after the thousandth time dealing with that sort of thing. In her case, it fully reads as cynical, opportunistic appropriation of an ethnic namesake for a privileged person to leverage the benefits of with zero concern for its entanglements to marginalization.

Doesn't effect my opinion of warren one bit outside of me feeling that it's probably good that there were appreciable consequences to it which capped people's expectations of her viability for national office.

Bishyaler
Dec 30, 2009
Megamarm

Kalit posted:

Because women who want to see a woman president aren't going to support a man. Pretty simple stuff.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

Bishyaler posted:

Because women who want to see a woman president aren't going to support a man. Pretty simple stuff.

Do you think there's more people who would solely support a woman for president because she's a woman than a man for president because he's a man?

On top of that, how do you see organizations/companies treating candidates based on their gender, since they aren't specifically individual genders who can fit this statement you're claiming?

Kalit fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Jan 24, 2022

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

In my opinion the Warren campaign was 100% about identity, but nothing to do with her gender nor her cynical exploitation of a historically brutalized ethnic minority she isn't part of

The central thesis of the campaign and the draw for many of its adherents was that our societal problems persist in large part because mysteriously nobody had figured out effective-enough solutions to them(seen in her explicit branding about "having a plan for that" regardless of what "that" is), in opposition to the Sanders thesis that societal problems persist because the wealthy and powerful personally benefit from them and intentionally propagate and defend the status quo that produces those problems. Her argument for her candidacy was "I'm really smart" and everything else was downstream of that

As a result, Warren found niche appeal in a specific subgroup of educated professional class left-libs who could recognize how many people in our society were getting a raw deal and mostly wished that wouldn't happen, but also felt personally comfortable and didn't want to do anything rash in support of correcting societal injustice in case it upset the apple cart. Warren allowed them to square that logical circle because they could view themselves as opposing societal injustice in the abstract, but they were not required to do something, only be something, and in this case, something flattering, since educated professional class left-libs all want to think of themselves as smart already. If we are simply clever enough about our implementation, we can fix everything. We do not need to fight anyone. The question of "well what do you do if the system prevents you from ever sniffing the implementation stage" was never really addressed, ironically because "plans" were not themselves an actionable plan for achieving change, but simple branding poo poo

This did reach a really funny inflection point though at the end of her campaign when she was drowning in failure, and her acolytes realized action would actually be required... and they came up with "she's electable if you vote for her." Even the call to action was only in service of validating a personal trait that they already believed she had and the less enlightened refused to recognize

On the flipside, people who did not identify with her particular brand of academic affect(read: just about everyone) tended to find her off-putting and she didn't have remotely the personal charisma to generate meaningful crossover appeal. She was never a viable candidate and there's really no evidence to suggest otherwise

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Fritz the Horse posted:

This isn't meant as a defense of Warren, but the Cherokee ancestry thing reads more as utterly tone-deaf ignorance rather than racism imo. I remember talking to local folks (I live/work on a rez) at the time and they just thought it was dumb as hell. Which, sure, anecdotes. But consider the history of blood quantum--many tribal nations require a certain % blood quantum for enrollment. This was imposed on them by the US federal government as a legacy of American racism and an attempt at soft genocide (intermarriage would eventually lead to fewer and fewer tribal members on the rolls and an excuse to just terminate federal recognition of the tribe). It's not how most tribal nations regarded themselves.

Specifically, the Cherokee Nation determines membership not by blood quantum but by lineal descent: if you can demonstrate you had an ancestor listed on the Dawes Rolls, you can enroll, blood quantum doesn't matter.

So at least the local perception was more along the lines of Warren (and her campaign) completely whiffing and having zero understanding of the fraught history and politics of blood quantum.

It's racist grandma at the dinner table talking about stories she heard as a wee child about her great great great grandpa. If it's naivete it was disqualifying, the president in 2020 should not be carrying a torch for manifest destiny racist myth. And I agree that is tone deaf ignorance but someone in Warrens position is so privileged that it's kind of full out racist. She's never had the time to figure this poo poo out and not look like an idiot?

And she defended herself with a DNA test which is... yeah. Really missing the point.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

cr0y posted:

I am still consuming as much information about the Ukraine situation as I can so this opinion of mine might be very off base but..

I feel like the clock is ticking, Russia can't hold this posture for any sustained period of time due to the logistical challenges that come with holding what is essentially a war footing.

I don't know how unprecedented this is but I was kind of shocked to see that the naval exercises Russia is conducting encompasses literally the entire navy. Not to discount the fact that every day that passes more and more munitions and supplies are flooding into Ukraine from various countries around the world.

Basically I think Putin will fold or make a move pretty dang quickly, this is not something that is going to drag on for months.

Isn't Ukraine of minimal strategic value to the US/NATO countries and the only reason for propping it up with arms shipments and aid is a flimsy ideological one?

Like push comes to shove my guess is a lot of that equipment being sent to Ukraine won't do much good and would likely get captured by the Russians in short order as the Ukranian army quickly throws down their weapons and runs or surrenders. The country is beyond corrupt and heavily infiltrated by the Russians as it is. What sort of defense could they hope to mount on their own, even with imported weapons? If a NATO country decides to send troops in to defend Ukraine, then we basically get into a nuclear war scenario immediately.

It's similar to the Taiwan situation. China is rapidly fortifying islands all over the pacific to form a ring of missile bases surrounding their strategic interests. When they make their move on Taiwan they'll saturated the US navy with swarms of anti-ship missiles that would make it extremely costly to fight any kind of war in the region. Not to mention that these long range missiles are quickly making aircraft carriers a multi billion dollar boondoggle of obsoleteness in the same way the carriers themselves made battleships obsolete in WW2.

All things being said, from a realpolitik perspective I don't see the US or anyone defending places like Taiwan or Ukraine anymore. The era of ideology ended with the cold war and I think everything now is based on rigid self interest and what the rich elites of each participating country want. Putin wants his ideological victory to cement his power and have his buffer states as a check against NATO encroachment and the US gets... nothing. It's not profitable.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
A certain class of liberal mostly represented in the media class spent 20 years being trained to worship Hillary Clinton, and unsurprisingly it resulted in some amazing freaks with a bizarrely warped view of the world.

Bishyaler
Dec 30, 2009
Megamarm

Kalit posted:

Do you think there's more people who would solely support a woman for president because she's a woman than a man for president because he's a man?

On top of that, how do you see organizations/companies treating candidates based on their gender, since they aren't specifically individual genders who can fit this statement you're claiming?

Is this you trying to tease out that I don't believe in misogyny impacting elections/workplaces because I believe there are voters whose single or primary motivation is to break barriers? Misogyny absolutely exists and it hurts most female candidates. I just don't think that was the case for Warren.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Terminal autist posted:

Dont think anyone needs to defend the lifelong republican until she was 40 who pretended to be native to get a job. Shes a pretty objectively awful person

She's an opportunist. Switched from conservative to progressive when it became trendy. Tossed Bernie under the bus when she thought she could weasel her way into a cabinet position with Biden.

I think misogyny would crush her chances at becoming President in a general election. But I also think being a phony is the reason she didn't stand a chance at getting the nomination.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
I realize I waded into the conversation some myself, but per Koos' edict we ought to avoid revisiting conversations that have already been done to death, it's probably not adding much new or interesting to Current Events discussion.

I'm not threatening probes or anything, just suggesting folks wrap up 2020 primary discussion unless there's fresh information that might add something new. It's a Sunday night and the thread is slow, but it would be best if this particular area of discussion came to a close soon-ish. Thanks.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

cr0y posted:

It's a lot easier for Russia to hold its posture when their ground forces are sitting on their own home turf, though. That's one of the key advantages they have: they share a border with Ukraine, while we're on the other side of the planet. True, it's expensive to have their Black Sea subs mobilized, and to have surface ships doing exercises with China and Iran in the Gulf of Oman, but they honestly don't have to keep doing this for very long. They just have to hold on until we blink first, which we probably will. We will eventually say, "Okay, we've given Ukraine everything we can, now it's up to them," and kick the "Ukraine joins NATO" can down the road even more indefinitely. Then Putin can crow to his domestic audience that he humiliated NATO, his approval ratings will get a boost, and his siloviki will keep supporting him.

Barrel Cactaur
Oct 6, 2021

Kraftwerk posted:

Isn't Ukraine of minimal strategic value to the US/NATO countries and the only reason for propping it up with arms shipments and aid is a flimsy ideological one?

Like push comes to shove my guess is a lot of that equipment being sent to Ukraine won't do much good and would likely get captured by the Russians in short order as the Ukranian army quickly throws down their weapons and runs or surrenders. The country is beyond corrupt and heavily infiltrated by the Russians as it is. What sort of defense could they hope to mount on their own, even with imported weapons? If a NATO country decides to send troops in to defend Ukraine, then we basically get into a nuclear war scenario immediately.

It's similar to the Taiwan situation. China is rapidly fortifying islands all over the pacific to form a ring of missile bases surrounding their strategic interests. When they make their move on Taiwan they'll saturated the US navy with swarms of anti-ship missiles that would make it extremely costly to fight any kind of war in the region. Not to mention that these long range missiles are quickly making aircraft carriers a multi billion dollar boondoggle of obsoleteness in the same way the carriers themselves made battleships obsolete in WW2.

All things being said, from a realpolitik perspective I don't see the US or anyone defending places like Taiwan or Ukraine anymore. The era of ideology ended with the cold war and I think everything now is based on rigid self interest and what the rich elites of each participating country want. Putin wants his ideological victory to cement his power and have his buffer states as a check against NATO encroachment and the US gets... nothing. It's not profitable.

First, china will not move on Taiwan without the direct approval of the us. First, because any action that isn't a cakewalk risks the sensitive infastructure that is the realpolitik reason to grab it. Second because any action that attacks US forces directly gives the us war hawks cart blanche. They have been salivating for the war against communism in China for 75 years.
And that's if you forget a nuclear armed country firing on another nuclear armed country is calling in the world's suicide pact. And that the economies are so linked it would instantly crash both. That's why all the response the US gives is a tripwire force and FoN operations. It just needs to show it intends to enforce the line.

As for Russia it's ability to actually hold territory is dubious. The tax a modern army pays in a gurrila war is harsh. And Ukraine has far less of a paper army than say Afghanistan. Frankly I suspect the Russian aligned force in Ukraine was on the brink of a collapse and they had to step up to make Ukraine back off and reorganize. Russia currently looks like Spain with nukes. Don't think they still pull the superpower numbers they could when the USSR covered half of Asia and half of Europe.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

SCOTUS is going to take another shot at getting rid of affirmative action again

https://twitter.com/scotusblog/status/1485621994691383302?s=21

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
The anti-vax civil rights rally in D.C. attracted an estimated 20,000 this weekend and seems like it was a normal and cool affair.

https://twitter.com/sfortinsky/status/1485618923986903040

quote:

At a rally against vaccine mandates in Washington, DC, on Sunday, Robert F. Kennedy Jr. likened vaccine policies in the US to the actions of a totalitarian state, even suggesting Anne Frank was in a better situation when she was hiding from the Nazis.

quote:

"Even in Hitler Germany (sic), you could, you could cross the Alps into Switzerland. You could hide in an attic, like Anne Frank did," said Kennedy, a prominent anti-vaccine advocate, in a speech at the Lincoln Memorial. "I visited, in 1962, East Germany with my father and met people who had climbed the wall and escaped, so it was possible. Many died, true, but it was possible."

quote:

Kennedy's historically inaccurate anti-Semitic remark ignores the fact that Frank and some 6 million other Jews were murdered by Nazis. Frank, who was a teenager at the time, hid in an attic in the Netherlands, not Germany, before she was caught and was sent to a concentration camp, where she died.

The Auschwitz Memorial responded to Kennedy in a statement on Twitter, saying, "Exploiting of the tragedy of people who suffered, were humiliated, tortured & murdered by the totalitarian regime of Nazi Germany - including children like Anne Frank - in a debate about vaccines & limitations during global pandemic is a sad symptom of moral & intellectual decay."

quote:

At least one speaker was seen displaying a yellow Star of David, which Jews were required by law to wear as an identifier in Nazi Germany.

"Make the Nuremberg Code great again!" and another read, "Bring back the Nuremberg Trials." The Nuremberg Code delineated "permissible medical experiments" on human subjects and stated that such experiments must be for the good of society and satisfy moral, ethical and legal concepts. The code was established during the prosecution of German doctors who subjected Jews to torturous medical experiments.

quote:

Another sign with clear anti-Semitic sentiments read, "Corrupt, N.I.H., Big Pharma Mafia, Big C.D.C. Cartel; Big Fraud Media: Your circumcision is dividing America! You all have foreskin-blood stained money in your thug hands!!"

Other attendees donned attire and held signs that promoted former President Donald Trump or that attacked President Joe Biden.

quote:

CNN's Joe Johns spoke to three women -- Kim Cogswell, Christina Patterson and Erin Nichols -- who traveled from Pennsylvania and Maryland to Washington for what two of them said was their first-ever large-scale protest. They said the lack of freedom is their biggest frustration with vaccine mandates, though none would say confidently they thought the vaccines were safe.

Cogswell said she is a health care worker, "so that has brought me out here due to the issues that I've had with my job and my current vaccination status." Asked what kind of issues, Cogswell said, "Multiple issues with HR and doctors treating me differently and discriminating against me because of my, my choices."

quote:

Patterson said she works in the school system

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

FlamingLiberal posted:

Affirmative Action as it existed before has already been dead since 2003.

If the court sides with the plaintiffs in this situation, it would just create a weird situation where colleges are allowed to attempt to racially balance their acceptance rates, but they have to do it in some way other than just looking at what race they selected on their application form.

That is sort of chipping away at what was left after 2003. It won't likely have a huge impact, but it is kind of non-sensical that schools would be allowed to try and explicitly have a goal of increasing the acceptance of a certain race, as long as they do it in a race-neutral way.

So, the transition has been:

1) Colleges had racial quotas.
2) Quotas are unconstitutional, but they can use race as a preferential characteristic.
3) Race can't be given special preference over other standards, but race can be used as a bonus on point-based systems or a tiebreaker.

Possibly after this case:

4) Colleges can try to adjust the racial makeup of their classes, but they can't use race explicitly to do so. Implementing policies to try and get more students of a certain demographic is fine, but you can't just give them a point for being a certain race.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Fritz the Horse posted:

I realize I waded into the conversation some myself, but per Koos' edict we ought to avoid revisiting conversations that have already been done to death, it's probably not adding much new or interesting to Current Events discussion.

I'm not threatening probes or anything, just suggesting folks wrap up 2020 primary discussion unless there's fresh information that might add something new. It's a Sunday night and the thread is slow, but it would be best if this particular area of discussion came to a close soon-ish. Thanks.

Is there any way we could get a list of non-sanctioned, done-to-death topics? Or perhaps the criteria used to determine them?

Because otherwise it's easy to wade into them, especially (as you pointed out) when mods do so themselves, and because some topics been barred from discussion in the past based on sentiments like "we were hoping this topic would just go away" under the guise of "we've talked about it too much."

To some posters, Joe Manchin's Daily Mind Mutterings might fit that criteria, while to others they're a fascinating topic worthy of several-times-a-day updates.

Thanks.

(n.b.: It's been several months & several new mods now since the feedback thread was closed "temporarily"; will it ever reopen or will we wait for a new iteration in a year or so, as has been the pattern in the past?)

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Podesta Is Back, Baby (one of them, at least) and K Street's Got Him!

quote:

Biden-tied lobbying firms raked in the dough during his first year

Shops that employed former aides to the current president saw massive increases in clients and fees in 2021.

Washington’s top lobbying firms reported record lobbying revenues in 2021, and perhaps no one benefited more than lobbying shops with ties to President Joe Biden and his administration.

At Putala Strategies, a firm run by Chris Putala, a former aide to Biden from his time on the Senate Judiciary Committee, annual lobbying revenues soared from $1.3 million in 2020 to $4 million in 2021 — an increase of more than 200 percent — according to a review of lobbying disclosures.

Putala signed more than a dozen new clients in 2021, including the powerful drug lobby the Pharmaceutical Research & Manufacturers of America and the company behind the KeystoneXL pipeline, both of which were fighting unfavorable policy proposals from Biden. That’s nearly as many as the one-man firm signed in the entire decade prior. (Putala signed no new clients between 2016 and 2020, when his former boss was no longer in office, according to lobbying disclosures.)

Lobbying disclosures show that throughout the year, Putala lobbied the White House or the Executive Office of the President on behalf of several prominent corporate clients including T-Mobile and Comcast. Putala also lobbied the White House on behalf of several tech trade associations, the Entertainment Software Association and the NCTA — The Internet & Television Association, as well as the U.S. subsidiary of the Dutch chipmaker ASML. Putala did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Jeff Ricchetti, the brother of top Biden adviser Steve Ricchetti, saw lobbying revenues continue to climb for his firm Ricchetti Inc., a trend that began in 2020 when Biden became the presumptive Democratic presidential nominee.

Ricchetti’s firm brought in $3.2 million in lobbying fees in 2021, up from $1.3 million in 2020 — a 150 percent increase. Ricchetti did not report lobbying the White House for any of his clients last quarter, having formally sworn off lobbying the West Wing amid backlash over a growing contingent of family members joining the Biden administration.

Still, he reported lobbying the House and Senate for a number of blue chip companies including Amazon and General Motors, the pharmaceutical companies Horizon Therapeutics and GlaxoSmithKline and Finseca, a trade group representing life insurers and financial planners, all on key parts of Biden’s legislative agenda. Ricchetti did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

At TheGROUP D.C., where Sudafi Henry, Biden’s former vice presidential director of legislative affairs, is a partner, annual lobbying revenues more than doubled from $3.6 million in 2020 to $7.5 million in 2021. The firm also employs Kwabena Nsiah, who served as chief of staff to Biden’s top Hill liaison Cedric Richmond during Richmond’s time in the House. Nsiah was also a congressional aide to former Rep. Xavier Becerra, now Biden’s Health and Human Services secretary.

Like other firms with ties to Biden or his aides, TheGROUP boasts a growing roster of major corporate clients, from Pfizer to Lyft to Facebook parent company Meta.

According to disclosures, Henry, Nsiah and their firm lobbied the White House on behalf of several of those clients over the past year, including Abbott Labs (one of the major manufacturers of Covid tests), the American Health Care Association, the U.S. Black Chambers Inc., Charter Communications, Dell and Pfizer. It was the first time the firm has ever reported lobbying the White House. TheGROUP did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Putala, Richetti and TheGROUP weren’t the only firms reaping the benefits of the handover from Republican to Democratic control of Washington last year. K Street shattered lobbying fee records they set only a year prior, as a new administration and an all-Democratic Washington worked to enact trillions of dollars in new spending while cracking down on an array of sectors from the tech industry to fossil fuels and pharmaceuticals.

The passage of yet another coronavirus relief package in the spring and the bipartisan infrastructure bill in the fall, along with the on-again-off-again negotiations on another $1 trillion-plus social spending and climate package, drove new clients from new industries into lobbyists’ arms.

The new White House even lured one of K Street’s biggest names back into the influence game. Tony Podesta, the Democratic super lobbyist whose eponymous firm The Podesta Group collapsed after it came under scrutiny from special counsel Robert Mueller, reemerged on the lobbying scene this year, bringing in $1 million from the blacklisted Chinese telecom giant Huawei in just six months of work, lobbying disclosures show.

And speaking of lobbying, Facebook set a new record for lobbying last year, more than $20 million, with Google only a smidgen behind:

quote:

Facebook, now renamed Meta, had previously set a lobbying record for the company by spending $19.7 million in 2020. That makes Facebook one of the top lobbying spenders in Washington, outpacing power players such as Lockheed Martin and Boeing.

Meta spent more than $5.4 million on lobbying during the last three months of 2021 alone, marking its highest-spending lobbying quarter ever. Its quarterly record was previously $5.26 million, set during the first quarter of 2020.

In 2021, the company reported lobbying on topics including the antitrust legislation moving through the House and Senate, along with content moderation, election integrity, blockchain policy and much more.

Facebook last September hired a top congressional aide, John Branscome, to help the company fend off threats from Democratic lawmakers and the Biden administration. Branscome has hit the ground running, according to the latest quarterly filing, lobbying on issues including misinformation, open immigration and algorithmic bias.

The company's in-house lobbying team also includes a former staffer for Rep. Ken Buck (R-Colo.), the top Republican on the House Judiciary antitrust subcommittee, and a former legislative director to Sen. Thom Tillis (R-N.C.), a member of the Senate Judiciary Committee.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Willa Rogers posted:

Is there any way we could get a list of non-sanctioned, done-to-death topics? Or perhaps the criteria used to determine them?

Because otherwise it's easy to wade into them, especially (as you pointed out) when mods do so themselves, and because some topics been barred from discussion in the past based on sentiments like "we were hoping this topic would just go away" under the guise of "we've talked about it too much."

To some posters, Joe Manchin's Daily Mind Mutterings might fit that criteria, while to others they're a fascinating topic worthy of several-times-a-day updates.

Thanks.

(n.b.: It's been several months & several new mods now since the feedback thread was closed "temporarily"; will it ever reopen or will we wait for a new iteration in a year or so, as has been the pattern in the past?)

Yes, sorry for “posting about posting” but without a feedback thread there’s no other place for it.

I was enjoying the discussion and was learning from some new perspectives (I hadn’t considered Warren might have been treated less favorably if she were male, for example). Thought provoking discussions about recent events occur organically and moving them to dedicated threads often ends the discourse. I’m sure I’m not the only one who hasn’t been here for the 2020 dem primary discussions, to me it’s not “done to death”. Occasionally rehashing previous topics doesn’t impede the discussion of other, newer events.

The thread has been pretty good overall, but Limiting discussion topics to mod-approved current events stifles free and fruitful discussions. in this posters opinion, anyways

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

"You could hide in an attic, like Anne Frank did,"

Oh man I feel for RFK Jr here, I too have tried to give an oral book report without actually doing the reading

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

lol at describing Tony Podesta as "lured back" into lobbying. That is some very generous phrasing by Politico.

He has wanted to get back in for years (and has been for at least one year) and the only reason he "got out" is because he had an ugly divorce and his ex-wife Heather took half the firm. Then, right after that, it came out that one of their contact lobbyists was doing work for Ukraine, wasn't reporting it, and Robert Mueller started investigating. Which meant that their most profitable sector (international) couldn't operate, so they "temporarily" closed down for 5 years.

So, him being part of K Street (technically, he is actually on M street), isn't new at all. It's the only place he has ever been.

Only having one client after he lost half the business and then had the other half shut down for 5 years is "crawling back as soon as he was able to get whatever could" and not "lured back."

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Sigh. How many Asian-American students got happily recruited for these suits? Smiling as they're used as pawns to keep brown people out of our precious elite schools...

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

Yes, sorry for “posting about posting” but without a feedback thread there’s no other place for it.

I was enjoying the discussion and was learning from some new perspectives (I hadn’t considered Warren might have been treated less favorably if she were male, for example). Thought provoking discussions about recent events occur organically and moving them to dedicated threads often ends the discourse. I’m sure I’m not the only one who hasn’t been here for the 2020 dem primary discussions, to me it’s not “done to death”. Occasionally rehashing previous topics doesn’t impede the discussion of other, newer events.

The thread has been pretty good overall, but Limiting discussion topics to mod-approved current events stifles free and fruitful discussions. in this posters opinion, anyways

The main issue is the hashed and rehashed primary chat. Again, if your fear is that discourse will die in a dedicated US Primary thread, then is there really that much interest?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Willa Rogers posted:

And speaking of lobbying, Facebook set a new record for lobbying last year, more than $20 million, with Google only a smidgen behind:
No surprise there, they are desperately trying to avoid getting regulated into actually not doing evil poo poo

There’s also that ongoing antitrust lawsuit at DOJ which is currently not going well for them

Flying-PCP
Oct 2, 2005

CommieGIR posted:

The main issue is the hashed and rehashed primary chat. Again, if your fear is that discourse will die in a dedicated US Primary thread, then is there really that much interest?

I don't really know why it happens, or any idea for a solution, but I've fairly often seen conversations that people were actually interested in (based on the frequency of messages about the topic) die because they were asked to move somewhere else.

Flying-PCP fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Jan 24, 2022

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

CommieGIR posted:

I mean, it's not a matter of hashing/rehashing when we're talking about an aspect or a candidate who's still in the news bc of her day job, and when the topic will burn itself out naturally.

It was an offhand & unheated convo that ended after a couple pages, not Did Hillary Deserve to Lose in 2016, part 117.

eta: It was way less than a couple pages; it started at the end of the prior page. Fritz's take from a Cherokee/Native standpoint was new to me, and was enlightening.

Willa Rogers fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Jan 24, 2022

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
My point is: Plenty of threads survive just fine, often with Us centric topics. Despite the claims: There is no mod conspiracy to shut down topics. That is not the goal. Its a manageability issue. Plenty of topics (1/6 being a good example to name one) are perfectly capable of standing on their own, why not Primary chat? The only reason it couldn't is because there isn't actually that much interest. Or maybe there is and you just haven't tried making the thread yet.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

And my point was: Could we have a list of topics that mods want disappeared from this thread into their own threads?

eta: Plus an ETA on the return of the feedback thread. Thanks!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Willa Rogers posted:

And my point was: Could we have a list of topics that mods want disappeared from this thread into their own threads?

eta: Plus an ETA on the return of the feedback thread. Thanks!

A very loaded question I would say. And Feedback thread would be up to Koos.

Either way Willa: You seem to have a lot of resources around polling and primary/politics, why haven't you made a thread for it?

https://twitter.com/CBSSunday/status/1485266433164595206?s=20

Another "Feel Good Story" about using Child Labor to avoid paying people more and actually providing incentives to employees.

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1484872732542128130?s=20

Florida Committee passed a bill that makes it illegal for educators to discuss LGBT issues. There's also a bill to require them to out LGBT kids to their parents.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Jan 24, 2022

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Sarah Palin filed a libel defamation suit against the NY Times & jury selection begins today. It's based on the NYT associating her with Gabby Giffords' shooting bc of Palin's "target" ads a decade ago.

From The Hollywood Reporter:

quote:

The former vice presidential candidate alleges being defamed by a 2017 editorial linking one of her political action committee ads to a 2011 mass shooting that severely wounded then-Arizona Congresswoman Gabby Giffords. James Bennet, the author of the editorial, picked up on the use of crosshairs in the advertisement and wished to make a point about the “rhetoric of demonization and whether it incites people to this kind of violence.” But less than a day after the editorial ran, the paper revised the editorial and published a series of corrections clarifying that no link had ever been established between Palin’s ad and the shooter’s motivation.

This case comes nearly 60 years after the Supreme Court established that public figures must establish actual malice to prevail in a libel suit. That old controversy involved The New York Times, and in some ways, Palin v. NYT is a sequel.

After conducting an unusual evidentiary hearing soon after Palin filed the lawsuit, U.S. District Court Judge Jed Rakoff quickly dismissed her complaint for a cognizable lack of actual malice. “Nowhere is political journalism so free, so robust, or perhaps so rowdy as in the United States,” wrote the judge in the order. “In the exercise of that freedom, mistakes will be made, some of which will be hurtful to others.”

But the 2nd Circuit Court of Appeals concluded Rakoff was too rash, and after the complaint was revived, Rakoff came to a new conclusion when denying summary judgment. The judge said that while there may be considerable evidence that Bennet simply drew an innocent inference, taken in a light most favorable to Palin, “the evidence shows Bennet came up with an angle for the Editorial, ignored the articles brought to his attention that were inconsistent with his angle … and ultimately made the point he set out to make in reckless disregard of the truth.”

At trial, there will likely be attention on newsroom politics, particularly how the op/ed section at the New York Times operates. Before this anti-gun editorial was published, for instance, fellow Times opinion writer Ross Douthat expressed concern to Bennet about his conclusion.

From Politico:

quote:

Some media advocates say the fact that the case is going to trial at all is a sign that almost a half-century of deference to the press in the courts is giving way to a more challenging legal landscape for journalists, media companies and their attorneys.

“Everybody representing media entities has noticed the chill is there,” said Bruce Johnson, a Seattle-based attorney who has represented journalists and publishers in a slew of legal battles.

The prominent First Amendment litigator Floyd Abrams recalled: “If you go back to the ’70s and ’80s, there were a number of very pro-press decisions coming down in the Supreme Court and trial courts, as well. A student of mine at Yale Law School called that ‘the golden days. …’ Those days are over. … The sort of broad sweeping, powerful generalizations about the role that the press plays cut little ice.”

That shift has been on clear display at the highest level of the American legal system in the past few years, with two members of the Supreme Court — Justices Clarence Thomas and Neil Gorsuch — urging that the court’s landmark decision reining in libel cases brought by public officials, 1964’s New York Times v. Sullivan, be rethought. The conservative justices’ opinions emerged amid very public calls from Donald Trump as a candidate and then as president to “open up” libel law to make it easier to sue the media.

In addition, the barrage of criticism of social media companies from the right and the left appears to have eroded public support for the basic First Amendment notion that a publisher has the right to decide what appears in its publication. Some on the left also seem so dejected by the traction of Trump’s views and rhetoric that they’ve lost faith in the bedrock notion that a freewheeling marketplace of ideas can be relied upon to govern the country.

“Social media has transformed the landscape in ways I don’t think anyone would have expected 10 years ago,” Johnson said. “The onrush of social media commentary, much of which is completely false, must have had an impact or will have an impact on the law.”

Just how these factors will play into the spectacle of a Palin v. New York Times trial is unclear. While some judges are clearly tilting at Sullivan’s famous “actual malice” standard for libel cases, it remains the law of the land. While Palin’s lawyers envisioned their case as a potential vehicle to overturn that standard, that hope seems to have been dashed in 2020 when the New York Legislature passed a bill that effectively enshrined the Sullivan standard for virtually all libel cases related to disputes on issues of public policy.

e: vvv lol

Willa Rogers fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Jan 24, 2022

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Willa Rogers posted:

Sarah Palin filed a libel suit against the NY Times & jury selection begins today. It's based on the NYT associating her with Gabby Giffords' shooting bc of Palin's "target" ads a decade ago.

She's going to be unavailable for a little while...

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1485651123776147457?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The anti-vax civil rights rally in D.C. attracted an estimated 20,000 this weekend and seems like it was a normal and cool affair.

https://twitter.com/sfortinsky/status/1485618923986903040

All the article says is that they secured a permit for up to 20,000 people. According to The Washington Post only a few thousand actually showed up.

The Washington Post posted:

Organizers had estimated that 20,000 people would attend the rally, marching from the Washington Monument to the Lincoln Memorial, according to a permit issued by the National Park Service. A smaller crowd of several thousand had arrived on the Mall by early Sunday afternoon.

Still a few thousand too many, of course, but not nearly as massive as the organizers had claimed.