Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

Yes, that's the one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

General Dog posted:

Notorious right wing publication The New York Times

center right, but yeah, actually.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

The NYT routinely posts poo poo about "moderates" then it takes like five minutes after the story is published for people to look into them and see they're not moderate at all.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

General Dog posted:

Notorious right wing publication The New York Times

Have you read it in the last decade?

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Codependent Poster posted:

The NYT routinely posts poo poo about "moderates" then it takes like five minutes after the story is published for people to look into them and see they're not moderate at all.

The New York Times Pitchbot is 100 percent accurate about them.

They cry financial hardship then acquire decent sports journalism for half a billion. I wish paywalls kept them from being talked about on Twitter, Christ.

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021

Mr. Fix It posted:

center right, but yeah, actually.

Anyone who advocates for the status quo is conservative/reactionary even if they aren't Republican, and it doesn't take much thinking and noticing how things are going to realize that's a dumbshit position to hold.

The NYT is VERY socio-economically conservative, just not particularly Conservative-as-political-identity.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
If you've been paying for the times for a while you've been funding David Brooks' midlife crisis for at least 15 years. Reason enough to cancel IMO.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

OPAONI posted:

Anyone who advocates for the status quo is conservative/reactionary even if they aren't Republican, and it doesn't take much thinking and noticing how things are going to realize that's a dumbshit position to hold.

The NYT is VERY socio-economically conservative, just not particularly Conservative-as-political-identity.

Some of us geezers even remember the NYT all but pulling out the pom poms to cheer on the obviously necessary Iraq War.

I wonder how widespread the sentiment is, along with the CHUDosphere that knows the Times is evil because their local AM Radio host says so because when I went to cancel they offered to give me an additional year at $1.66 a month.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

GoatSeeGuy posted:

Some of us geezers even remember the NYT all but pulling out the pom poms to cheer on the obviously necessary Iraq War.

I wonder how widespread the sentiment is, along with the CHUDosphere that knows the Times is evil because their local AM Radio host says so because when I went to cancel they offered to give me an additional year at $1.66 a month.

The Athletic always throws out a sweetheart deal whenever you threaten to cancel; it certainly predates the NYT acquisition.

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

I'm half curious how much the product changes with NYT esque click bait. Their editorial standards are garbage but I dunno how much their poo poo will spill into the sport part.

It's the "buoying the news vanguard to fascism" part that people aren't reconciling.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
My guess is the Athletic doesn't change much editorially for at least like a year or two

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

General Dog posted:

The Athletic always throws out a sweetheart deal whenever you threaten to cancel; it certainly predates the NYT acquisition.

I've been playing the get a deal on the Athletic for a few years and I've never seen 1.66/month, I think this year was for like 35 bucks.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Codependent Poster posted:

https://twitter.com/TimFullerton/status/1485039653581434885?s=20

This one's especially good since even without that added context it's still insane.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Dexo posted:

My guess is the Athletic doesn't change much editorially for at least like a year or two

Right, I'd guess they'd run them pretty separately from that standpoint, though I don't know if I'd be shocked if a couple of the high priced writers end up not getting renewed, but that was probably mostly inevitable.

My guess is the biggest change will be an option to get some sort of NYT/Athletic Bundle for nominally higher than just 1 to try to get a large combined footprint.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Today's NYT has this op-ed:

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1485146313582858241

Even the WSJ would think twice before publishing bootlicker poo poo this obvious.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Op-Eds everywhere are trash tbf to the NYT.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The WSJ has by far the worst op-ed section of any major paper, even the NYT, though their actual reporting tends to be reliable.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

FMguru posted:

Today's NYT has this op-ed:

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1485146313582858241

Even the WSJ would think twice before publishing bootlicker poo poo this obvious.

Did you read the article? It's not painting leaving your job in a negative light or anything

quote:

The payoffs for some pandemic quitters have been significant. Nikissa Granados, 26, was weighing whether to leave her job at an Orange County, Calif., school in 2020 to do freelance social media marketing. She made the leap after seeing two of her teammates resign.

Ms. Granados went from making $2,100 a month, spending days on her feet setting up cots for nap time and begging children to wear their masks, to making as much as $8,000 monthly while dictating her own schedule, she said. She realized something now viscerally clear to many child care providers: In her work at the school, the mismatch between strain and pay had been stark.

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON

Inspector_666 posted:

https://twitter.com/TimFullerton/status/1485039653581434885?s=20

This one's especially good since even without that added context it's still insane.

"his home in Hinsdale, Illinois" is all you need to know the guy is a rich fucker

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

I see stuff like that and it makes me wonder if Selena Zito secretly became one of their editors.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Forrest on Fire posted:

The New York Times Pitchbot is 100 percent accurate about them.

Yes!

It's the basis for the new, "Is this the Onion?"

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

mactheknife posted:

"his home in Hinsdale, Illinois" is all you need to know the guy is a rich fucker

loving Hinsdale, I hate that town. The man is a loving psycho if he makes that much and focuses on poo poo like that. If I even wanted to be a bigger pedantic, I'd point out that this guy cost himself a lot more by leaving the Chipotle and going back home to make a sandwich. His time I'm sure is worth more than the dollar he saved.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

More on sports, less on the centrist paper of record.

It’s possible things will change with The Athletic but that time isn’t really now.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

GoatSeeGuy posted:

wonder how widespread the sentiment is, along with the CHUDosphere that knows the Times is evil because their local AM Radio host says so because when I went to cancel they offered to give me an additional year at $1.66 a month.

This is SOP with pretty much every newspaper subscription and not just the Times. They'll always offer you a deal if you try to cancel.

Also, not sure how cancelling the Athletic is going to get the NYTimes to change... and there's no ethical consumption under capitalism in the first place.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
spend that money on The Defector imho

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
I haven’t paid for defector. What’s their output like?

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

soggybagel posted:

It's good, and much more enjoyable than the Athletic to read (even if the Athletic does have better hockey commentary). Also they do not stick to sports.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

They are completely different things.

Athletic is nice for beat coverage that there is no way that defector could or should ever do.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/shanehall31/status/1486433397589221378

holy poo poo lmao

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Oh my god. Due diligence. gently caress.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

playing the oooooh yeah song.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
I wondered what nuDeadspin's hook would be to differentiate itself from all the other hot sports take websites, and I guess they settled on "hot sports takes, but ours are massively factually inaccurate"

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
"What if newspaper hacks made a career pivot to blogging?"

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

FMguru posted:

I wondered what nuDeadspin's hook would be to differentiate itself from all the other hot sports take websites, and I guess they settled on "hot sports takes, but ours are massively factually inaccurate"

My assumption was Deadspin's goal is to create massive arguments in their comment sections to drive traffic, but apparently they don't have comment sections?

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Don't they currently employ the guy who once called Robert Griffin III a "cornball brother" for dating a white woman? I wonder if it was the same dude who wrote that lol

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Crazy Ted posted:

Don't they currently employ the guy who once called Robert Griffin III a "cornball brother" for dating a white woman? I wonder if it was the same dude who wrote that lol

Rob Parker! And yeah he's still there. This was apparently written by Sean Beckwith.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

soggybagel posted:

I was pretty disappointed in it when I subscribed. You can check out the website and read a couple articles a month for free, if what you see looks interesting it's probably worth a month sub.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Crazy Ted posted:

DJExile posted:

Rob Parker! And yeah he's still there. This was apparently written by Sean Beckwith.

I'm not going to defend saying it on national tv because lmao that's not something that should leave the group chats. But I still don't think he was wrong about RG3 being a cornball lol.

He deserved whatever punishmnet he got on that one tho, because that was incredibly stupid thing to say publicly on like loving First Take.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

rare Magic card l00k posted:

My assumption was Deadspin's goal is to create massive arguments in their comment sections to drive traffic, but apparently they don't have comment sections?

They turned off Kinja on Deadspin entirely after the staff exodus because it was mostly just people making GBS threads on Spanfeller and whatnot. The comments still being off over two years later is kind of hysterical.

A Defector sub probably isn't the best bang for your buck deal on the internet but yeah reading a few trial articles from them should give you a good idea whether or not you'd enjoy it. Even if I'm only reading a few articles a week from them some weeks I'm happy to pay a premium to help keep them around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
Ray Ratto's posts make Defector worth it to me.

Based on the Defector comments, they're still ready to shitpost all over Deadspin the minute the comments are reopened.