Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Hughlander posted:

AITA: Am I the rear end in a top hat for kicking out dad's girlfriend at his wake and funeral?

What the gently caress...

So... everyone knew Pam except the OP? Am I reading that bit right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

yeah

what the gently caress

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

Serephina posted:

OP's a he, and having keys to each other's houses is perfectly normal for families living in the same city.
I want to say I disagree but then I remembered I still have a key to my parent's house (moved out of home, across the country, over 15 years ago) but I've never dropped in unannounced. My parents do not and will not ever have keys to my place, even though I doubt they'd ever use it without permission.

sugar mouse
Oct 17, 2006

8one6 posted:

So... everyone knew Pam except the OP? Am I reading that bit right?

Dead dad is the AH here by a mile for engineering the whole thing. Betting he knew exactly how this would all kick off once he, uh, kicked off this mortal plane.

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...
AITA for lying about someone else's relationship?

quote:

I (female, 19) am a singer-songwriter signed to an indie label in Columbia. As someone with little relationship experience, my music is generally based on other peoples' lives or is purely fictional. Last week I completed the chord charts and lyrics for a song about an unfaithful wife. This song began as a fictional story with no correlation to my personal life. However, my co-writer on this track (male, 71) suggested that I use the names of people I know in real life so that my writing doesn't get debunked if I eventually do interviews for this single (which is up in the air at this point as I only have 89k followers on Soundcloud and have only done five interviews in the past with locally-based magazines). The names Austin & Marcy Lee, my brother's best friend and his fiancé, came to my mind immediately as they flowed nicely with the rest of the lyrical content. I adjusted the names and am releasing this song in a few weeks as my debut solo record on major streaming services like Pandora and Tidal. I'm excited to put myself out there but nevertheless, I'm worried now. You see, my brother's best friend, Austin, is also my ex-boyfriend and I have a lot of pictures with him on social media. It'll only be a matter of time before people notice who this song is "about"... I even used his last name in one of the verses. As far as I know, his fiancé is faithful, but I didn't write the song about them anyway! I'd feel really bad if I damaged their relationship or her reputation based on a fictional story, but there's not much I can do because of my record label's strict release schedule rules (meaning I cannot cancel the release date of this song). I think it will be fine since none of us are celebrities who'll have the whole internet coming after them, but the line "Marcy Lee going around town like the bed girl she won't tell you about" (pun on bad girl) is gonna keep me up all night until the song is out. I'd really like y'all's input because I don't want to be feel bad about this and need a way out without not putting the song out. Thanks a million for reading.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

URGENT - I got one hour

quote:

I posted earlier today and to sum it up i’m going to see my gf in one hour and i’m gonna kiss her for the first time. Thank you all for the advice but I do have one question: How do I ask her if she wants to kiss? Like I know she does but i’ve been told to still ask.

Edit: I DID IT! We were watching one of her favorite movies and we started getting closer to each other. After that we did our christmas gift exchange (I know it’s late long story) and we did that. I went in and hugged her and then we just looked in each other’s eyes and I just went for it. I didn’t realize I was until I realized i was kissing her. It was quick (maybe a few seconds) and it was honestly the best thing ever. I still feel like it was a dream and I just imagined it but it was definitely real. After we just smiled and I went to put a necklace I got her on her neck but my hands were too shaky and I kept dropping it. I don’t think she’s gonna let that go anytime soon but it was a really great time. Thank you guys!

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Breetai posted:

I (M, 42) don't want to see tedious forums drama (?, 2mo) relitigated over and over and over again, aita?

YTA and it is my RIGHT (furiously searches for old posts to be mad about)

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

axolotl farmer posted:

e: stolen pic

This ordering offends me on a level I didn't know existed

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

Breetai posted:

I (M, 42) don't want to see tedious forums drama (?, 2mo) relitigated over and over and over again, aita?

Holy poo poo, what was it like before the internet?

Did you own a phonograph? Or like a cassette player or like, both?

What was it like seeing the first mmo?

Did you know that the internet was gonna be wild when you logged on with your free Skype CD? Or did you think it was a fad?

Do you call everything gaming related "one of those nintendos?"

Did the 3D Mario games just blow your mind? Like when people saw Elvis for the first time and started fainting and stuff.

Boba Pearl fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Jan 24, 2022

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Quote is not edit.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

sugar mouse posted:

Dead dad is the AH here by a mile for engineering the whole thing. Betting he knew exactly how this would all kick off once he, uh, kicked off this mortal plane.

On the other hand I can 100% see why he didn't mention anything to darling cyberstalking daughter. YIKES.

Wonder who gets mentioned in the will?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Boba Pearl posted:

Did you know that the internet was gonna be wild when you logged on with your free Skype CD? Or did you think it was a fad?

Did the 3D Mario games just blow your mind? Like when people saw Elvis for the first time and started fainting and stuff.
Your mental timeline of computers is very confusing.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I'm 33 and all that stuff applies to me.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Yeah but like you'd be a baby not a teenager or adult, like what's it like to be 20 and suddenly the world is in 3D and there's cable internet when when you were a kid you had to like spin a dial to make a phone call.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Hey now, I have very clear memories of playing a Froot Loops vinyl on our record player! Cereal prizes were wild in my day!

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

AITA for not allowing my college-aged daughter 'sleep-overs' at our house w/opposite sex

quote:

I F(51) and D(19) 'Joan' recently got into a heated argument and we are turning to random strangers on the internet for guidance in determining who is right. (I say 'we', as this post is her suggestion)

My kids were raised in a traditional, but non-religious, family. Husband and I have been married over 25 years. Although it was even admittedly rare back in the 90's, we actually waited until we were officially married before we had sex for the first time.

Currently, Joan is attending college and lives with us in our developed basement with a separate entrance. Our two other kids have moved out for good. Although Joan is not in a relationship, she is socially active and dates on occasion.

The issue - Last night, Joan was out with friends, and as mothers are prone to do, I never fall completely asleep until I hear her come home. So, last night, she was back around 1:00 AM and as I was still fully awake, I went downstairs to see how her night went.

I was, however, wholly unimpressed when I saw her on the couch with a guy she had just met that night. They weren't engaged in anything (yet) however, it was evident where events were likely to lead.

Although I was polite, I commented to Joan that she really needed to get to sleep as we were planning an early morning walk, and I waited patiently as her 'new friend' got the hint and left.

Afterwards, Joan was livid, and says that I thoroughly embarrassed her, and that, as she was an adult, she should be able to see whomever she wants, whenever she wants, and wherever she wants.

My position is that she is an adult, however, she has no right to bring a stranger into our house without my knowledge as:

It's a pandemic. We're all fully vaxxed. However, we have no idea of his health status. (She says that argument is a red-herring BECAUSE we are fully vaxxed and otherwise healthy)

Our house belongs to her dad and I. I'm not comfortable with having a complete stranger spend the night. (Her argument is that she's still a dependent as she's going to college and it's still her house too)

Although I don't approve, I agree that as an adult, she can engage in whatever legal activity she chooses. However, Not in my house. She knows my views on pre-marital sex, and by engaging in the activity in my house, with me at home, is a massive sign of disrespect.

If she really wants to spend the night with a random stranger, that's what hotels are for. (Her argument is that, although she's working, she's saving for her future, and that would be a stupid waste of money)

So, AITA for making her friend leave, or should I just ignore my long-held belief system and accept her choices as an adult?

EDIT - My husband's position is that he's taking the Switzerland position. Officially neutral. I'm not happy with his lack of support, but I'm not going to engage in a two front war at the moment.

EDIT - To answer a few questions and add some comments:

Joan does not pay rent. As with all our kids, she's on the 'Free room and board plan' so long as she is attending school.

I recognize that I hold a minority position in society. However, there was nothing more glorious than sharing a special intimacy with the man I loved on my wedding night, knowing that it was a special gift that we each bestowed on the other, never having shared with another. I believe it has made our marriage stronger over the years. It is a special bond that we alone share with each other. I attempted to impart that feeling and knowledge onto all my kids in the hopes that they would be able to have the same unique experience, however, I am also realistic enough to know that, in this day and age, with Tinder and the like, it would be a miracle if any of them abstained prior to marriage.

I have never been a 'helicopter parent' and the notion that not resting comfortably until my daughter gets home on a Saturday night is akin to 'overparenting' is absurd. My husband is a retired Detective, and, as he always said to the kids, 'rarely does anything good happen at 3 in the morning'.

No, we had never discussed 'male sleep-overs' prior to last night, as the issue never came up. Would my feelings be different if Joan was in a long-term committed relationship? Honestly, I don't know. I'll have to cross that bridge when it happens

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Boba Pearl posted:

Yeah but like you'd be a baby not a teenager or adult, like what's it like to be 20 and suddenly the world is in 3D and there's cable internet when when you were a kid you had to like spin a dial to make a phone call.
I thought you were doing a bit boba please tell me you were doing doing a bit. The nes came out when breetai was 3* why would they call everything nintendoes PLEASE TELL ME YOU'RE DOING A BIT

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Boba Pearl posted:

Speaking as a 44 year old, it would have been an AOL CD for most people. And yes, I owned a cassette player. My dad still has a phonograph ;p

(and ngl you did get newspaper articles in the late 90s claiming the internet was a fad and was over now)

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

Das Boo posted:

Hey now, I have very clear memories of playing a Froot Loops vinyl on our record player! Cereal prizes were wild in my day!

Wasn't there a doom clone involving Chex cereal or was that a fever dream

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Boba Pearl posted:

*ahem*

The first computer I used was a Commodore 64. If you didn't want to spend money on a floppy disc drive then a cheaper alternative was games/programs that were stored on standard audio cassette tape which you'd put in a special tape drive that interfaced with the computer.

There used to be radio stations which would provide computer programs. You'd tune to the correct station on your stereo, press Record on your tape deck at the alloted time, and the radio station would transmit an electronic screech lasting several tens of minutes which when recorded to the tape translated to ones and zeros In the correct format. You could then put the tape in your computer's tape drive and play the game you just downloaded off the airwaves.

Breetai fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Jan 24, 2022

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

B-Rock452 posted:

Wasn't there a doom clone involving Chex cereal or was that a fever dream

Chex quest ran on the doom engine

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Mx. posted:

AITA for not allowing my college-aged daughter 'sleep-overs' at our house w/opposite sex

Ignoring the whole wait till marriage thing, I mean, the OP is right: this is a loving pandemic and you don't bring strangers into a house that isn't yours. Years ago, one of the reasons my idiot brother had to leave sooner was because he was giving out our home address to random girls he met online, with the idea that they would come over when he was home alone. Because no way that can blow up in your face.

BlancoNino
Apr 26, 2010
Found this in a junk drawer

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
My first computer was a zx spectrum 64, you plugged a cassette recored into it to save/load programs. I never owned a phonograph but I'd love one.

My first mmos were text based and a lot of fun.

Everyone of my age group knew the internet was going to be wild. e: it started wild

Again I cannot emphasise enough how much you have the wrong age group and demographic for the everything is nintendos thing that was our parents.

Why play 3d Mario I've got a PC with Doom and Duke Nukem and Quake :smug: shareware versions

Splicer fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Jan 24, 2022

Lady Jaybird
Jan 23, 2014

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Commodore 64 and my dad bought the disk drives!

by 3 I was able to type load "*",8,1 so my dad didn't have to do it.

I miss the 64

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Cowslips Warren posted:

Ignoring the whole wait till marriage thing, I mean, the OP is right: this is a loving pandemic and you don't bring strangers into a house that isn't yours.

You don't bring strangers into a shared dwelling, but the daughter lives in a basement with a separate entrance. OP is just flexing ownership muscles.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Atari 800xl was our first computer- fun times painstakingly typing in dozens of lines of BASIC to get a pong clone. I was maybe 6/7 at the time, and the only magazines available were:

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Evil Willow posted:

AITA for lying about someone else's relationship?

Who is going to try to "debunk" your lyrics? Is that old man of the opinion all songs are autobiographical?

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

Splicer posted:

My first computer was a zx spectrum 64, you plugged a cassette recored into it to save/load programs. I never owned a phonograph but I'd love one.

My first mmos were text based and a lot of fun.

Everyone of my age group knew the internet was going to be wild. e: it started wild

Again I cannot emphasise enough how much you have the wrong age group and demographic for the everything is nintendos thing that was our parents.

Why play 3d Mario I've got a PC with Doom and Duke Nukem and Quake :smug: shareware versions

You're not wrong, I'm 33 and I used to use vinyl and cassette players, played multiplayer text games on lovely dial-up, and yes I was pretty blown away by Mario 64 and Zelda OoT when they came out.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Cowslips Warren posted:

Ignoring the whole wait till marriage thing, I mean, the OP is right: this is a loving pandemic and you don't bring strangers into a house that isn't yours. Years ago, one of the reasons my idiot brother had to leave sooner was because he was giving out our home address to random girls he met online, with the idea that they would come over when he was home alone. Because no way that can blow up in your face.

"Hi I'll be home alone from 9:30-midnight. We can have fun then! If you have any friends bring them too, it'll be a blast! Just don't touch my mom's expensive jewelry or the priceless antiques that can be resold for hundreds of thousands of dollars, and whatever you do don't go into the basement where we keep some of our most precious treasures."

epsilon
Oct 31, 2001

Brawnfire posted:

Who is going to try to "debunk" your lyrics? Is that old man of the opinion all songs are autobiographical?

no one is ever even going to hear this song much less analyze it

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

epsilon posted:

no one is ever even going to hear this song much less analyze it

I thought that post was some bad guerilla marketing? Did no one on Reddit "dox" the OP?

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Brawnfire posted:

B-but why would someone lie about putting the lime in the coconut?

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Mx. posted:

I think covid is just an excuse for parents and they likely don't do poo poo as precautions otherwise

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Rupert Holmes

Escape (The Piña Colada Song)

This is a work of fiction. Names, characters, places and incidents either are products of the author’s imagination or are used fictitiously. Any resemblance to actual events or locales or persons, living or dead, is entirely coincidental.

Cobalt-60
Oct 11, 2016

by Azathoth
Are there any reasons for "no sex before marriage" that aren't religious or "traditional" (read: quasi-religious) brain poisoning? Obviously people should have sex when they're comfortable, but the whole idea that waiting for government certification makes it more "special" just screams neuroses or unprocessed sex issues. Neither of which will be fixed by any amount of delaying. Not to mention enshrining virginity as a virtue, which is Grade-S vintage bullshit.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Cobalt-60 posted:

Are there any reasons for "no sex before marriage" that aren't religious or "traditional" (read: quasi-religious) brain poisoning? Obviously people should have sex when they're comfortable, but the whole idea that waiting for government certification makes it more "special" just screams neuroses or unprocessed sex issues. Neither of which will be fixed by any amount of delaying. Not to mention enshrining virginity as a virtue, which is Grade-S vintage bullshit.

The main practical concern is pregnancy, should birth control measures fail/people gently caress up and they decide not to abort. It's a good idea in so many ways for children to be born into stable families that will be able to care for them. Not to say that single parents, and parents who aren't married, can't take care of children well, or that married couples are automatically going to be good parents, but that's in theory where much of this stuff comes from.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

A religious, conservative mom and a cop dad. I feel sorry for the 19 year old.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Both of the Covid and health/pregnancy arguments fall apart when the alternate suggestion is to gently caress in a hotel room. The mother is just squicked or jealous of her daughter. The ex-cop father having no opinion seals that too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Hughlander posted:

AITA: Am I the rear end in a top hat for kicking out dad's girlfriend at his wake and funeral?

What the gently caress...

something is being unsaid here. The fact that literally everyone in the OP's family knew Pam, by the daughter's own telling of the story, is what is sending me for a loop here. That implies she has not been interacting with those family members for 5 years. How else could she have avoided "Oh how are your Dad and Pam doing?" type questions.