Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Alchenar posted:

If this is all a bluff, what's the realistic endgame that Putin is actually looking for?

While I’m not going to call entirely bluff on the invasion threat, the goal would be regime change in that scenario.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
I'll toxx that Russia will invade if one of the posters adamantly claiming there will be no invasion counter-toxxes.

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

HonorableTB posted:

I'll toxx that Russia will invade if one of the posters adamantly claiming there will be no invasion counter-toxxes.

gently caress it, you got it

:toxx:

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
https://twitter.com/Schuldensuehner/status/1485550799849758726

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
What's the deadline on that Toxx? 3 months?

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Alchenar posted:

I think the problem with the 'it's a bluff' position is that Putin's demands have been so maximalist that nothing he can possibly be offered will make this brinksmanship look like a win for him. Compare and contrast with the Cuban Missile Crisis where the US's starting demands were exactly what they wanted 'remove the nukes from Cuba', and the concession that was made in the end was a reasonable one of reciprocal withdrawal that made everyone feel like a winner (well, aside from the 'we almost nuked each other, that was bad' feeling and the fact that Khrushchev wasn't able to get credit from the widthdrawal of missiles from Turkey so it looked like he'd lost).

If this is all a bluff, what's the realistic endgame that Putin is actually looking for? One the one hand he's threatening Ukraine with invasion, on the other all his demands have been about NATO dismantling itself. I don't know at all what happens with Ukraine, but I suspect that regardless of what happens there NATO is going to emerge from this with a new sense of resolve and purpose and possibly a couple of new members.

Yeah, I can't see compelling evidence that this is just a bluff to force NATO to the negotiating table. They would probably, in that case, actually phrase their messaging like some kind of deal can be made instead of making an ultimatum.

Of course, Sinteres believes there is some secret message in the ultimatum that it is not an ultimatum, but I think that is living in some alternate reality.

Putin might pull back from this, but I think it'll be because he changed his mind based on the consequences rather than because this was a calculated bluff, though he might claim the latter in public messaging.

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
NATO member or not, Russia has given the west an excuse to arm Ukraine to the teeth. If Putin retreats now and does nothing, it will look really weak.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

BoldFace posted:

NATO member or not, Russia has given the west an excuse to arm Ukraine to the teeth. If Putin retreats now and does nothing, it will look really weak.

They can just say they were just exercises. This has nothing to do with Ukraine. It's exercises. Moving troops around their own territory.

No one in Kyiv or Moscow really cares. I don't think he'd look weak. He got his security summits after all.

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

Xarn posted:

What's the deadline on that Toxx? 3 months?

i propose the following conditions for my counter-:toxx: to HonorableTB:

• six months time span - so, no invasion before the 24th of June, 2022 24th of July, 2022
  • only official or quasi-official invasion counts - so, Crimea scenario counts as an invasion, supporting DNR/LNR with "advisors" and sending communist internationalists weirdo russian nazis to fight CIA-backed weirdo ukrainian nazis or whatever does NOT count as an invasion
  • only invasion by Russian forces counts - Poland deciding to grab Lwow for itself or Turkey trying to reistablish itself within the land borders of the Byzantine empire does not count for the purposes of this toxx

nurmie fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Jan 24, 2022

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Panzeh posted:

Yeah, I can't see compelling evidence that this is just a bluff to force NATO to the negotiating table. They would probably, in that case, actually phrase their messaging like some kind of deal can be made instead of making an ultimatum.

Of course, Sinteres believes there is some secret message in the ultimatum that it is not an ultimatum, but I think that is living in some alternate reality.

Putin might pull back from this, but I think it'll be because he changed his mind based on the consequences rather than because this was a calculated bluff, though he might claim the latter in public messaging.

You're allowed to just post without being weird about me, but just to quickly respond, I don't think there's a secret message, I just think final offers often aren't, and that maximalist demands can sometimes be walked back if a compromise position is on the table.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Sinteres posted:

You're allowed to just post without being weird about me, but just to quickly respond, I don't think there's a secret message, I just think final offers often aren't, and that maximalist demands can sometimes be walked back if a compromise position is on the table.

Okay then, make your pitch for what you think NATO could plausibly offer that Putin would consider a win.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Alchenar posted:

Okay then, make your pitch for what you think NATO could plausibly offer that Putin would consider a win.

No more military aid or closer NATO/EU co-operation with Ukraine? Russian state media has been hard at work building the narrative that the west is arming Ukrainian Nazis to the teeth and eggs them on to attack the noble people's republics of Donbas. He might be able to sell that as a win. Donbas finally safe from the west!

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Alchenar posted:

I think saying NATO membership for Ukraine is off the table/limiting weapons transfers/military assistance and opening some sort of negotiation process leading to de facto recognition of Crimea (with some resulting sanctions climb downs) would get a lot of the way there. Personally, I'd like to see Russia similarly agree to a negotiation process that leads to them withdrawing from the Donbas too, maybe as part of a linked process with the Crimea final status talks, but I don't know if that's something Russia's willing to budge on or not. Obviously withdrawing all military forces from the eastern NATO states is a non starter, but Biden's indicated that he's open to having a discussion on what times of weapons are stationed where, so maybe there's even some wiggle room there, though I wouldn't expect to see a lot in the way of immediate guarantees during crisis negotiations since that would justifiably make those eastern NATO states feel like they were being sold out under pressure. I think some kind of limitations on weapons stationed in Kaliningrad would make sense in return if there was movement there though.

j3rkstore
Jan 28, 2009

L'esprit d'escalier
If this ends up being a feint, it has to be a riotously expensive one, right?

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

j3rkstore posted:

Yeah, it'll be a huge blunder if they're bluffing (not saying they should invade, just that stacking forces if you aren't going to and can't get anything out of the bluff is a disaster). German waffling notwithstanding, it seems to have brought NATO together, and has obviously led to increased military assistance to Ukraine. If Russia flinches without getting anything in return, it invites the problems Russia was afraid of in the first place.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
It is no doubt extravagantly expensive but it does serve as a useful exercise for the military. The military has to actually put into process all the logistical plans it has in place and see how effective they are in action and experience garnered from the operation is useful for the future.

Why you might want a military that is effective at preparing for an invasion is another matter.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

j3rkstore posted:

Oh yeah, there's the immediate cost of this massive mobilisation, there's the damage done to Russia's economy from tanking the Rouble, then there's the foreign relations costs of having given the anti-Russia faction in NATO a massive shot in the arm and kicking Finland and Sweden into a conversation about joining.

All that just to get an agreement that kinda-but-not-really legally formalises the status quo is not great.

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin

Conspiratiorist posted:

"Putin is a coward, actually" is a rather weak argument in the face of what Russian foreign policy tragically looks like in the real world.

Really? How do you explain this then?
https://theins.ru/news/248081

quote:

Заявления главы Чеченской республики Рамзана Кадырова, которые касаются пособничества терроризму журналистов и членов СПЧ, это его личное мнение, считает пресс-секретарь президента Дмитрий Песков.

«Если есть прямые угрозы Кадырова в адрес члена СПЧ и журналиста, то надо разбираться, у этих людей есть право защищать свою репутацию в суде», — заявил Песков.
По его словам, Кадыров выражает не позицию федерального центра, а личное мнение или свое мнение как главы республики. При этом жесткость суждений Кадырова объясняется богатым и печальным опытом борьбы Чечни с терроризмом, считает Песков.

Fucker is a coward that is scared of violence and force, which is why he treats Kadyrov like this but lets his gopnik nature loose on the weak (this includes Germany Ukraine and others who aren't fighting back)

This is pushing me into the "not going to invade" camp, if he's so afraid of conflict with Kadyrov, attacking Ukraine should have similar risks and costs

Somaen fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Jan 24, 2022

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
2023: Undone by the strategic failure that was the costly military feint on the Western border, Vladimir Putin is humiliated and beleaguered. With Putin's political capital depleted and power constrained, but no strong leaders rising to the occasion to replace him from within Russia, Batka takes over the reins of the Eurasian Union.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

nurmie posted:

[*] six months time span - so, no invasion before the 24th of June, 2022

That's five months.

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

Mr. Smile Face Hat posted:

That's five months.

oh no, this is embarrassing :ohdear:

fixed

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Somaen posted:

Really? How do you explain this then?
https://theins.ru/news/248081

Fucker is a coward that is scared of violence and force, which is why he treats Kadyrov like this but lets his gopnik nature loose on the weak (this includes Germany Ukraine and others who aren't fighting back)

This is pushing me into the "not going to invade" camp, if he's so afraid of conflict with Kadyrov, attacking Ukraine should have similar risks and costs

Kadyrov's too useful a dog to put down, even if he's rabid. I don't think it's correct to say that Putin's afraid of him, just that it's not worth blowing up Chechnya again trying to replace him. It's obviously not exactly the same since Chechnya is more important to Russia than Afghanistan was to the US, but look at how much poo poo the US overlooked by various warlords in Afghanistan to not even succeed at keeping it together. I guess it cuts both ways a little bit since Putin has less plausible distance from Kadyrov than the US did from a lot of those warlords, and Kadyrov is more public with his misdeeds, but I think it's a similar principle anyway.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Jan 24, 2022

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin
I don't know if he feels the specific emotion of fear in his brain, but politically it is weak and cowardly. The guy is kidnapping people from other regions now and the police and special services do nothing to stop it, and the Kremlin can't even admonish him verbally because they're scared of war with terror attacks and casualties. This is exasperated by the Kremlin's gung ho attitude about persecuting and repressing dorky liberals. The cowardice is palpable

Edit: how about you go talk about the US in Afghanistan somewhere else?

If the only thing you can contribute is relating topics to the US, it's fine not to post

Somaen fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Jan 24, 2022

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

It's just an analogy. Given the propensity to bring up Munich itt, I don't see the problem. I'm not planning to do a deep dive or anything, if that helps. Anyway I certainly don't think keeping Kadyrov around is admirable, but if it keeps thousands of (mostly Chechen) people from dying in another war, I think describing it as cowardice is pretty weird.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Jan 24, 2022

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Germany now offering voluntary evacuation to all non-essential embassy workers and their families in Ukraine. Embassy is gonna keep working for now though.

Also, Spiegel reporting that new EU sanctions over the Crimea annexation are very likely coming. Germany, Finland and Italy were the last holdouts and Germany has now agreed to them.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

GABA ghoul posted:

Germany now offering voluntary evacuation to all non-essential embassy workers and their families in Ukraine. Embassy is gonna keep working for now though.

UK FCDO and US state department also now doing social media saying IF YOU ARE A NATIONAL GFTO NOW or register with the Embassy so we know that you've diseappeared in a warzone.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

https://twitter.com/MatasMaldeikis/status/1485569942023983109?s=20

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
That's, uh, not helping with the Eastern Ukraine situation

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I feel bad for the poster who got probed for EU4 chat now that a shitposting Lithuanian MP may as well be referencing it.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

mobby_6kl posted:

That's, uh, not helping with the Eastern Ukraine situation

it looks like a minor lithuanian MP just shitposting

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

QuoProQuid posted:

watch russian media running with this presenting it as entirely serious sentiment lol

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

https://twitter.com/haynesdeborah/status/1485594749805412357

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

This doesn't seem to be a claim Russia is making tho, as much as vague European Nazis would like, his argument this time around is purely security centric, nothing about bloodland.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Sinteres posted:

I feel bad for the poster who got probed for EU4 chat now that a shitposting Lithuanian MP may as well be referencing it.

What a bizarre take - just because someone is posting a historical map, doesn't mean that he's referencing a Paradox game.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

mmkay posted:

What a bizarre take - just because someone is posting a historical map, doesn't mean that he's referencing a Paradox game.

Come on man, I can't even make a little joke about a parliamentarian shitposting about 15th Century political geography without getting fact checked?

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Jan 24, 2022

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

QuoProQuid posted:

I think the joke is that the map doesn't include Donbas or Crimea in the No Russians zone.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

I think the joke is that the map doesn't include Donbas or Crimea in the No Russians zone.

Would need Turkish MPs for that, but that gets even more awkward when it comes to Ottoman relations with Ukrainians at the time even when compared to the Commonwealth.

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
https://twitter.com/disclosetv/status/1485633186256273409

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
lol, it's just posturing. Russia has little to no capacity in the 21st century to bribe Cuba sufficiently to garner more than tepid rhetorical support in public. Everyone but the most rabid members of the Cuban expat community would be able to see it for what it is.

Would be interesting, though, as pissing off the Cuban expats might result in GOP infighting over whether to continue its pro-Russia trend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Hey, maybe Smokey the Carrier will visit Cuba. So excited.