Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Are there any post season 10 eps that would be considered excellent or very good? I rewatched the KOTH ep where Hank works at an organic food store and for a season 12 ep it is fantastic, including the “we ask them politely but firmly to leave” line. Not a contender for all time best but a strong return to form, especially as I let Hulu autoplay the next episode is a Judge bad take where a new school counselor is very liberal and wrong about minorities.
The last episode I really loved was Behind the Laughter from season 11.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I caught an episode last night from season 11 where Moe has plastic surgery to fix his supposedly hideously ugly face after a Duff Beer calendar contest. It was alright, I guess, though not especially funny.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

I caught an episode last night from season 11 where Moe has plastic surgery to fix his supposedly hideously ugly face after a Duff Beer calendar contest. It was alright, I guess, though not especially funny.

Oh yeah that’s one’s decent. My favorite gag was soap opera Moe worried that Clive Dancer was waiting for him to slip up and the guy is staring through the window intently.

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Pigs are smarter than Bears, but they can't ride motorcycles
Hair Elf

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Are there any post season 10 eps that would be considered excellent or very good? I rewatched the KOTH ep where Hank works at an organic food store and for a season 12 ep it is fantastic, including the “we ask them politely but firmly to leave” line. Not a contender for all time best but a strong return to form, especially as I let Hulu autoplay the next episode is a Judge bad take where a new school counselor is very liberal and wrong about minorities.

There are a smattering of episodes that are pretty good, but it drops off pretty hard by 14:

S11:
Guess Who's Coming To Criticize Dinner
Little Big Mom
Pygmoelian
Bart To The Future
Behind The Laughter
S12:
The Great Money Caper (the ending is very bad but the rest of it is pretty good)
HOMR
Hungry, Hungry Homer
Trilogy of Error
S13:
Jaws Wired Shut
The Lastest Gun in the West
Tales From The Public Domain
I Am Furious (Yellow)

Edit: Season 23 is a real loving weird one; you've got a couple actually good episodes like The Book Job and A Totally Fun Thing That Bart Will Never Do Again and then there's the one about Moe's bar rag and the Lady Gaga episode

plainswalker75 fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Jan 15, 2022

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Oh yeah that’s one’s decent. My favorite gag was soap opera Moe worried that Clive Dancer was waiting for him to slip up and the guy is staring through the window intently.

I also liked the "That one" gag when Homer was picking up Marge in the 'designated drivers' area.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

It sucks when they use Johnny Tightlips but ignore his one and only character trait.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Johnny Tightlips and Surly Duff have good Simpsons shitposting potential.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

TengenNewsEditor posted:

Trilogy of Error is pretty good

Yeah it's an all time great, no qualifiers.

TengenNewsEditor
Apr 3, 2004

Improbable Lobster posted:

Yeah it's an all time great, no qualifiers.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I also remember thinking The Book Job from season 23 was good, but I guess comparing it to any season up to 10 in either direction, it is... but if you've been watching classic episodes and then watch it, it's so noticeable how forced and off it is.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
The lowest point for me currently is that I can't seem to get Disney+ to work properly. Pressing the "see all episodes" button does nothing and then it won't let me select anything at all. I want to watch good Simpsons. :(

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
I remember being really pissed at how dumb navigating the player controls was too.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

plainswalker75 posted:

Edit: Season 23 is a real loving weird one; you've got a couple actually good episodes like The Book Job and A Totally Fun Thing That Bart Will Never Do Again and then there's the one about Moe's bar rag and the Lady Gaga episode
23 is when they started having Matt Sellman take on showrunner duties for two or three episodes per season. Any episode in the last decade that is considered decent is usually one of his including the two you mentioned.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

plainswalker75 posted:

There are a smattering of episodes that are pretty good, but it drops off pretty hard by 14:

S11:
Guess Who's Coming To Criticize Dinner
Little Big Mom
Pygmoelian
Bart To The Future
Behind The Laughter
S12:
The Great Money Caper (the ending is very bad but the rest of it is pretty good)
HOMR
Hungry, Hungry Homer
Trilogy of Error
S13:
Jaws Wired Shut
The Lastest Gun in the West
Tales From The Public Domain
I Am Furious (Yellow)

I'd exclude the trilogy/future episodes since they're similar to Treehouse of Horror episodes in that they can go pretty much wherever they want with it without feeling too jarring or stupid.

So paring those out of the list, even episodes that had good gags like Guess Who's Coming To Criticize Dinner still felt overtly cartoony in a way that they managed to avoid even while dealing with ridiculous plots, as in "You Only Move Twice". As I recall, Guess Who's Coming... ends with an evil assassin baker trying to trick Homer into eating an exploding eclair. That's up there with elf jockeys as far as I'm concerned.

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.
I think one of the DVD commentaries they talked about the story pitch meetings the writers had back in the day, I wonder how joyless and bizzare they've been since

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

The Ribwich stuff is from season 14 and is pretty solid Krusty material.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Hyrax Attack! posted:

well, if you define 'excellent' as ranking among the best in the series, i'm not sure about that. but i do absolutely think there were some 'very good' episodes:

- the one with krusty's daughter
- the sugar ban
- the tomacco episode
- the episode where homer gets a motorcycle
- homer becomes Mr. X

some people might disagree but i can watch all these episodes without cringing or feeling sad

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Mr Interweb posted:

well, if you define 'excellent' as ranking among the best in the series, i'm not sure about that. but i do absolutely think there were some 'very good' episodes:

- the tomacco episode
- homer becomes Mr. X

some people might disagree but i can watch all these episodes without cringing or feeling sad

"tomacco" and an incredibly abrupt, pointless reference to The Prisoner don't make you cringe? You're stronger than me.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
tomacco owns

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Tomacco made me stop watching the Simpsons.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Mantis42 posted:

The Ribwich stuff is from season 14 and is pretty solid Krusty material.

“Think smaller and more legs” might possibly be the latest Simpsons line that still rattles around in my head

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

New Yorp New Yorp posted:

"tomacco" and an incredibly abrupt, pointless reference to The Prisoner don't make you cringe? You're stronger than me.

The Tomacco episode kinda gets a pass for giving us Sneed’s Feed & Seed.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

maybe it's cause i'm grading on a curve, but i've seen far worse.

the tomacco episode is worth it just for the beginning parts with the poke of zorro. mr. x is great cause of all the scenes with the druggings and the part with the guy and the boat

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Mr Interweb posted:

the tomacco episode is worth it just for the beginning parts with the poke of zorro. mr. x is great cause of all the scenes with the druggings and the part with the guy and the boat

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not. The things you're mentioning as positives are things that I'm going "Oh god, that" to.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
The one joke that stands out in my head about the Mr. X episode after all these years is how it parodied old amateur website design and had Homer's picture load first and THEN loaded the question mark over it yet somehow nobody knew it was Homer.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

The one joke that stands out in my head about the Mr. X episode after all these years is how it parodied old amateur website design and had Homer's picture load first and THEN loaded the question mark over it yet somehow nobody knew it was Homer.

it owned. the prisoner stuff kinda sucked but homer running a lovely geocities website led to some good jokes

16-bit Butt-Head fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Jan 24, 2022

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Mr Interweb posted:

The Poke of Zorro is just somehow a perfect encapsulation of a late 90s action/adventure movie.

Also Homer's German doppelganger.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
GLOVE SLAP, BABY

e: GLOVE SLAP

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
I have to throw my support behind the episodes like Tomacco too. Those ones have many decent, oddball Simpsons-y jokes.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Yeah, say what you want about those episodes, they're at least trying something interesting and building jokes around it. And it's got the kind of callbacks that actually work, with the old Simpson farm, and good ol' being irresponsible with cartoon radiation.

I'd say Whacking Day might be the original madcap oddball premise episode, though not many later episodes commit to a singular premise from start to finish the way that did.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Yeah, say what you want about those episodes, they're at least trying something interesting and building jokes around it. And it's got the kind of callbacks that actually work, with the old Simpson farm, and good ol' being irresponsible with cartoon radiation.

I'd say Whacking Day might be the original madcap oddball premise episode, though not many later episodes commit to a singular premise from start to finish the way that did.

john swartzwelder could commit to an idea

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

The first half of the Mr X episode is good but I'd never heard of the Prisoner when I first saw it so I was left thinking "what the gently caress is this nonsense?"
Classic Simpsons was full of references too, but they were handled well and largely invisible if you didn't get it.

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.

bitterandtwisted posted:

The first half of the Mr X episode is good but I'd never heard of the Prisoner when I first saw it so I was left thinking "what the gently caress is this nonsense?"
Classic Simpsons was full of references too, but they were handled well and largely invisible if you didn't get it.

Yes, while I don't think the Mr. X episode is terrible, it leans very hard on the Prisoner stuff, in a way that's a forerunner of stuff like "this week we're just doing Game of Thrones".

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

it owned. the prisoner stuff kinda sucked but homer running a lovely geocities website led to some good jokes

"they have the internet on computers now" was a pretty good line

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

bitterandtwisted posted:

I didn't get it at all but I love weird nonsense out of nowhere.

It's not like The Prisoner makes any sense anyway.

DaveWoo posted:

The Simpsons really got the whole dotcom bubble zeitgeist, didn't it? Then again, it wasn't exactly the only one, that Daria episode comes to mind as being terrifyingly applicable today.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

DaveWoo posted:

around the same era there was another great internet line; as terrible as the episode was it lives with me forever:

"Oh no! Homer, how will the kids get home?!?"
"I'unno. Internet?"

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I actually kinda hated those type of jokes from that era. It felt like the first instances of the show trying to be hip and current.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Same

I was like, hey look, the Simpsons did a shoutout to the dancing baby gif, haha that's pretty wacky, didn't see that coming from the "is she cable ready?" "ready as she'll ever be" show, oh well hope they don't make a habit of it

Then they started trying to dunk on the iMac and it was just ... ok then, sigh

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

i still remember thatcow or whatever screaming "TOMACCOOOOO!" good poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not. The things you're mentioning as positives are things that I'm going "Oh god, that" to.

fraid i'm totally serious, boss. i get if it ain't your thing, but i thought they were solid

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The Poke of Zorro is just somehow a perfect encapsulation of a late 90s action/adventure movie.

yes, exactly! the rap based ending theme, morgan freeman as the talking taco, it really nailed a lot of the problems with many of those movies

Rascar Capac posted:

Yes, while I don't think the Mr. X episode is terrible, it leans very hard on the Prisoner stuff, in a way that's a forerunner of stuff like "this week we're just doing Game of Thrones".

i've never seen the prisoner so i didn't get that it was referecing it, but it seems it came out in 1955?