Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.
by the way, if you don't want to do evil blue grindfests in the event but still want the cards, try something like this i found on god knows where on twitter

the zombie is based off of the original card cost so mascot interception gives you a 4/4 army! i didnt even know that card existed!

but like i say, not fun to just have siphon insight steal the thing that makes you win that they didn't put in their deck. not fun at all

i think i went even with it, but didnt keep track. remember you can buff their army if you own it for more attack, and you can cast steal effects on your own army to give it haste.

Quotey fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Jan 23, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
yea mascot intervention and bury in books are the two best cards to run in the event

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

bad boys for life posted:

Same, I use unranked play to build fun decks to play. So when I run into rear end in a top hat decks being piloted in unranked that are for mythic or other bs with hullbreaker or epiphany, drag it out. I wont use timeouts but I guarantee that person isnt going to be winning within 10m.

And what exactly do you gain from this behavior? Do you really think this is anything other than a malicious tantrum?

Some of you never had to shake hands with a sportsball team that just curb stomped you and all your boys and it shows. They won, you didn't. Some ppl have war in their countries...

My favorite part of all this is that what boils some of y'alls noodles to the point of acting out for extended period of time literally doesn't register to most of us and you still won't make the effort to see if it really is you that is the miscreant and not a forum full of bullies gassing you up for fun on a Sunday.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

PleasantDirge posted:

Some ppl have war in their countries...

Lol what

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
It's open play, just click concede.
It's what I do every time I see a t1 soul warden and I don't have a push.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Also, even in open play I see the same five decks over and over so it's not like everyone else agrees with you that it's for funsie new stuff.

(GW life gain, gb sac, UR, elves, wrath tribal, and colorless scoop to aggro. Ok there's 6 decks. Somehow though when I play shrines I get paired in mirrors, never when playing zombies)

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

precision posted:

i made a deck that is absolutely gross for this event. i went 4-1 twice and 4-0 once with it lmao

if u really want dem arts and also to make ur opponent rage rope u because of how absolutely bullshit u are:

2 x Alchemist's Retrieval
2 x You See a Guard Approach
3 x Curate
4 x Disdainful Stroke
2 x Negate
2 x Reject
3 x Test of Talents
2 x Pop Quiz
4 x Behold the Multiverse
3 x Serpentine Curve
4 x Bury in Books
3 x Alrund's Epiphany
1 x Multiple Choice
2 x Syncopate

1 x Jwari Disruption
1 x Siundi Vision
21 x Island

the key piece here is bury in books. its really gross bc it kills their zombie AND makes u a 5/5

Epiphany is actually not even necessary, i think i cast it literally one time... the deck usually wins very fast

I tried this deck and immediately went 0-2 because it can't handle discard or a single Sedgemoor Witch lol

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Eej posted:

I thought I would look at the Arena reddit for some ideas for decks for the Amass event but I immediately took massive psychic damage that I have to share to lessen the burden

Dragon still sees a lot of play in alchemy, although it's in dragon tribal (and is the third best dragon in the deck) rather than izzet control. I cannot remember the last time I saw epiphany or cat car.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

PleasantDirge posted:

And what exactly do you gain from this behavior? Do you really think this is anything other than a malicious tantrum?

Some of you never had to shake hands with a sportsball team that just curb stomped you and all your boys and it shows. They won, you didn't. Some ppl have war in their countries...

My favorite part of all this is that what boils some of y'alls noodles to the point of acting out for extended period of time literally doesn't register to most of us and you still won't make the effort to see if it really is you that is the miscreant and not a forum full of bullies gassing you up for fun on a Sunday.
do you smell burnt toast?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

I think the red text is a hint that OP is not great at analogies

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

bad boys for life posted:

Same, I use unranked play to build fun decks to play. So when I run into rear end in a top hat decks being piloted in unranked that are for mythic or other bs with hullbreaker or epiphany, drag it out. I wont use timeouts but I guarantee that person isnt going to be winning within 10m.

how is it always the unranked queue?

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

If you suspect your opponent is from a war torn country the best strategy is to rope every turn just in case their infrastructure gets taken out. My win rate went way up when I switched to playing during prime time in Darfur.

MarquisDeCarabas
Jun 16, 2012

Quotey posted:

by the way, if you don't want to do evil blue grindfests in the event but still want the cards, try something like this i found on god knows where on twitter

the zombie is based off of the original card cost so mascot interception gives you a 4/4 army! i didnt even know that card existed!

but like i say, not fun to just have siphon insight steal the thing that makes you win that they didn't put in their deck. not fun at all

i think i went even with it, but didnt keep track. remember you can buff their army if you own it for more attack, and you can cast steal effects on your own army to give it haste.

Thank you for this. I just went undefeated with a modified version of this. The biggest change was running four Immerstrum Predator as a beater and sac outlet.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Eej posted:

I tried this deck and immediately went 0-2 because it can't handle discard or a single Sedgemoor Witch lol

haha oh man :(

yeah the "meta" in these events moves so fast... before everyone figured it out, those "oops all control" blue decks were doing good but then people caught on... serpentine curve is the lone concession that list makes to "what if they have more than one creature" plan haha

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

Some people have real problems, losing a game of magic doesn't qualify as a real problem. Are you the doughnut that was flipping out about this last week?

I can't keep track of all the yo-yo's with poo poo opinions in the arena thread, apologies if that wasn't you melting down over your OP's card choices

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

PleasantDirge posted:

Some people have real problems, losing a game of magic doesn't qualify as a real problem. Are you the doughnut that was flipping out about this last week?

I can't keep track of all the yo-yo's with poo poo opinions in the arena thread, apologies if that wasn't you melting down over your OP's card choices

... what?

How is this relevant to anything?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

PleasantDirge posted:

my dude, breathe

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

Can’t a fella get a moment’s peace around here?

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

PleasantDirge posted:

Some people have real problems, somebody on the internet slowrolling a game of magic doesn't qualify as a real problem

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

this is some real 1337 posting

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009

reignonyourparade posted:

Some people have real problems, somebody on the internet slowrolling a game of magic doesn't qualify as a real problem

Lol go gently caress yourself

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

let me just check my figures real quick here
Grimey Drawer
I have a real problem. It is when my opponent is playing goblins, drops a skirk prospector, then proceeds to be terrible at passing priority for the rest of the game.

To say I suffer greatly would be an understatement.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Surely there is a middle ground between "MTGA is the only respite I have between running through bombed out rubble to find food and water for my family" and "if I'm losing an unranked game I am going to make sure my opponent has to spend 30 minutes to extract a single win from me"

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

PleasantDirge posted:

Lol go gently caress yourself

Jesus that rap sheet. You're loving unhinged and probably need a good thread ban forum wide from Magic threads.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

Rahu posted:

I have a real problem. It is when my opponent is playing goblins, drops a skirk prospector, then proceeds to be terrible at passing priority for the rest of the game.

To say I suffer greatly would be an understatement.

Hydra lair is way worse for this

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

https://twitter.com/TheGr8Aspie/status/1485471198045782017

I'm having a good time, in CV draft.

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

Got the MtG itch again after being off Arena since like M20 and I think I wanna start dabbling in Historic. Is the only way to get the special Historic-only cards to craft them with wild cards? I thought they were released in bundles you could buy individually? Or maybe I’m totally misremembering.

If it’s wild cards only, what’s a good post-M20 set to drop some money on if I wanna focus on Historic? Are any of them particularly dense with Historic staples?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Bragging about roping your opponent ITT should be probable, it’s lovely behavior and only ever gets posted seemingly to stir the pot or kick the hornet’s nest and drum up a bunch of hot-headed responses.

We get it, you’re bad at magic and can’t handle your feelings about it so you get mad and wanna take it out on a stranger you’ve never met because they beat you at a child’s card game. None of that is normal or healthy, and it definitely makes you into a massive loser, but we get it.

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler
After extensive testing with emry, fiddlebender and paradox engine I have concluded that 1. it would be way easier if you didn't need to keep two 2 toughness creatures alive for multiple turns and 2.the level of bullshit that it pulls is multiplied exponentially by Tome of the Infinite. I just "won" a game against a goblins deck with 2 chieftains, krenko and 4 tokens on the board when I was a two life. Two turns later they had nothing on board, 37 life and I was at six, with two fogs in hand and 24 cards in my graveyard 4 of which were originally in my deck.

Traitorous Leopard posted:

Got the MtG itch again after being off Arena since like M20 and I think I wanna start dabbling in Historic. Is the only way to get the special Historic-only cards to craft them with wild cards? I thought they were released in bundles you could buy individually? Or maybe I’m totally misremembering.

If it’s wild cards only, what’s a good post-M20 set to drop some money on if I wanna focus on Historic? Are any of them particularly dense with Historic staples?

There were some anthology collections but they were for a limited time. You can buy packs but that's a waste of gold so yeah, wildcards.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Jarvisi posted:

Hydra lair is way worse for this

If they fixed it so it checked for at least 2 mana up then that would be a ton better, it sitting on its own on turn 1 and holding priority that it can't actually use is just abysmal work from the coding team.

BDawg
May 19, 2004

In Full Stereo Symphony

MarquisDeCarabas posted:

Thank you for this. I just went undefeated with a modified version of this. The biggest change was running four Immerstrum Predator as a beater and sac outlet.

What did you swap out?

I gave this event a shot with a Dimir deck and went 2-2. Trying to decide if trying again is worth it for styles I’m not sure I like.

Defeatist Elitist
Jun 17, 2012

I've got a carbon fixation.

Lone Goat posted:

how is it always the unranked queue?

i accidently queued into unranked constructed the other day...

never again

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Traitorous Leopard posted:

:siren:warning: long effort post incoming:siren:

there were historic cards released in special "historic anthology" sets which you could buy in bundles, but there were also events called "jumpstart" which introduced new cards into arena. those cards could only be acquired by playing the jumpstart event (basically you choose two precons with one or two rares each and combine them into a deck, the contents of which were added to your collection) or by spending WC's. (one fucky thing is that the second jumpstart added some modern horizons 1 and 2 cards but these aren't searchable in the collection search interface, you need to manually type set:mh1 or set:mh2 into the search bar to see these)

if you're looking to buy packs specifically to break into historic, there's no real "best" set in terms of staples. most tier 1 decks use cards from all across the arena card pool. the real benefit to cracking packs is accruing wildcards, especially rare wild cards; opening six packs completes the "wildcard wheel" and nets you a guaranteed rare/mythic wc and uncommon wc, plus there's a chance you get bonus WCs of any rarity in any pack.

that being said, eldraine and ikoria are probably the most dense in terms of historic-usable rares but only by a very small percentage. my personal recommendation is to open standard packs, or better yet, draft the current set, because you get the same amount of WCs as packs from any other set, and WCs are the real bottleneck for constructed decks on arena; plus, by getting standard legal cards from the packs you open, it opens up the opportunity to play standard formats that use the standard card pool, especially brawl, which is a great format for beginners to accomplish dailies since you only need one copy of each card you want.

one last thing. A new format, alchemy, was introduced with a special anthology-esque collection of online-only cards with essentially hearthstone-lite mechanics, e.g. "put a random creature card of any on arena into your hand." these cards can currently only be created by using WC's, and not only are they legal in historic, but they've significantly impacted the metagame. wotc is also starting to apply monthly online-only balance updates to both these cards and real life standard-legal cards—these balance updates apply to the arena-only formats, which are alchemy and historic (and their derivatives). What this means is that if you craft a card, know that 1) you get the rebalanced version, for use in historic and alchemy, in addition to the paper version, for use in standard, and 2) wotc does NOT (currently) provide wildcard refunds for rebalanced cards. You may craft a card only for its text (in historic and alchemy) to be changed with the next update, and you're out those resources. Craft at your own risk.

now somebody stick this in the op so I don't have to type it all out again

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

kalel posted:

now somebody stick this in the op so I don't have to type it all out again

I've been meaning to add an alchemy block, now both are done. Thanks!

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

kalel posted:

:siren:warning: long effort post incoming:siren:

Thanks! I guess I'll pick out a couple of decks on goldfish and start there.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

I thought you all might appreciate this:

https://twitter.com/scampsaccount/status/1485270804812255233?t=yF6ZsTiLBneOM59NsXTrqA&s=19

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

posting on the gamer page

how do you do fellow gamers

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
pretty 1337. hbu?

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Bust Rodd posted:

Bragging about roping your opponent ITT should be probable, it’s lovely behavior and only ever gets posted seemingly to stir the pot or kick the hornet’s nest and drum up a bunch of hot-headed responses.

We get it, you’re bad at magic and can’t handle your feelings about it so you get mad and wanna take it out on a stranger you’ve never met because they beat you at a child’s card game. None of that is normal or healthy, and it definitely makes you into a massive loser, but we get it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

Bust Rodd posted:

:emptyquote: