Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

That Little Demon posted:

Also I'm playing ME3 and instantly its like its made by a company that didn't make ME1 and 2 and ignores a ton of your choices for some reason?

I played through ME1 and 2 as Renegade and I ended up doing most of ME3 Paragon just because Renegade gets too psycho in 3 for me. In the first two games being a Renegade meant punching news reporters or pushing a merc out of a window or shooting a monologuing bad guy instead of listening to his bullshit, but in ME3 being a Renegade means you kill your friends. Like if you do the Renegade option in 3 for the Krogan planet, you kill two former squadmates and essentially genocide the Krogan. It was too much of a shift.

Oh and the space samurai guy was incredibly stupid and they tried to make him your nemesis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

lmfao sorry dude, I hosed the blue alien, and had to put her photo face down while I buttfucked miranda in 2, and yep, you guessed it, I'm likely to gently caress the blue alien in 3 again *need to put the photo back up like nothing happened*

I am going to become the Illusive Man

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

Kongming posted:

I played through ME1 and 2 as Renegade and I ended up doing most of ME3 Paragon just because Renegade gets too psycho in 3 for me. In the first two games being a Renegade meant punching news reporters or pushing a merc out of a window or shooting a monologuing bad guy instead of listening to his bullshit, but in ME3 being a Renegade means you kill your friends. Like if you do the Renegade option in 3 for the Krogan planet, you kill two former squadmates and essentially genocide the Krogan. It was too much of a shift.

Oh and the space samurai guy was incredibly stupid and they tried to make him your nemesis.

in ME2 as renegade you genocide half a million Boterians because you thought spending 5 seconds to warn them you are blowing up a Relay was too much time to waste

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
I also said gently caress the krogan since ME1, no cure for genophage, helped Moridon gently caress them up even more lol...

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
I actually liked how janky and broken the combat was in the first ME. The Gears-lite shooting system in 2/3 was kinda bland and made soldier and infiltrator boring.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I … gently caress the krogan

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Lumpy the Cook posted:

I actually liked how janky and broken the combat was in the first ME. The Gears-lite shooting system in 2/3 was kinda bland and made soldier and infiltrator boring.

this

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

Lumpy the Cook posted:

I can understand that, but, as a soldier the combat from 1 to 2 is such an improvement

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Lumpy the Cook posted:

i remember being disappointed i never felt as powerful in me2 as i did at the end of me1, just effortlessly throwing krogan troops off the side of the citadel by the dozen

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

4. Doom, ultraviolence E1-E4. Good poo poo as always

In Training fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Feb 21, 2022

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
finally beat Sekiro!! jfc that was so good the whole way through, what an absolute gem of a game

Nutmeg
Feb 8, 2004
finished FF4. very chill game that doesn't ask alot out of you. controlling up to 5 charcters in battle was a little overwhelming at first but I got used to it.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Lady Radia posted:

finally beat Sekiro!! jfc that was so good the whole way through, what an absolute gem of a game

goongrats

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Inscryption

Enjoyed it a lot. Sometimes it was a little frustrating looking for secret stuff with how the game kind of pushes you along its narrative, so I ended up really going with the flow and not worrying too much about little details I missed. Given how goofy the ARG stuff seemingly is I think I made the right choice. I love cheesy found footage horror movies and I think this game somehow captures exactly what I want out of a "found game." Good mix of figuring out mechanics, figuring out wtf is going on, and spooky vibes I guess.

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!

Lumpy the Cook posted:

i switched from infiltrator to adept because fo this

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

2. Wizards and Warriors
putting this outside of the NES playthrough since it was out of order and i didn't use any emulator tools besides screenshots, even for pausing and stepping away for awhile. thanks for starting up the game club.

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007
2. Wizards and Warriors. not much to say here that hasn't been said. definitely one of the better carts to be stuck with as a kid.

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
posting this here, since I just beat ME2 and lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLcl8jkbLXM

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
oh i forgot to mention i beat metal slug 3 again over fightcade

coop on that works fantastically

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzZEeRTQhJE

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Lol

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

lmao

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Deathloop

this game super ruled. Extremely tight design with the four areas that change with the time of day (so it's 16 areas, really) and tons of poo poo to discover. I got one ending but I want to immediately go through the loop again and do things better this time.

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

lmao

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

lmao

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

Lol

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Masterpiece.

Part 1 is just as good.

https://youtu.be/2_rY6gn7GNM

MrMidnight fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Jan 25, 2022

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

I beat Nobody Saves the World. Started off pretty fun but it wore off its charm before it ended, I probably grinded for ranks too long, though.

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
[6] Windjammers 2 - Arcade Mode (XSX) 1/24/22

Review:

A masterpiece. The modern day Virtua Tennis from Dreamcast. I only played the original Windjammers way back but never got into it the way I did with this one. It's an amazing game, albeit barebones (no lobbies, wtf?). However I kicked American McGay and Skeezys rear end (lumpy was actually challenging) and I beat arcade mode so I'm considering this one "beat" for now. I'm always going to be down to play this though. My one complaint that makes this not a 10/10 is the no lobbies, which is seriously bullshit. Disc Man FTW.

9/10

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

mysterious loyall X posted:

lunar pool is pretty chill to play for 20 minutes or w/e

it turns out that this is true but that the game goes on for a lot longer than 20 minutes. there are 60 stages and i'm still in the 20s.

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order

They did a good job making it feel like you ramped up in power without making you grind for damage or health. Makes me want to go back and actually finish Sekiro now

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Lunar Pool
this is basically puzzle pool from the yakuza games. the first table is a normal billiards table, and then for the following levels, they change the shape of the table, add bumpers, put the balls in different places, etc. the controls are very simple: the D pad aims the stick (L-R to turn, U-D to move the pointer closer or further away). a meter goes up and down to determine how hard you hit, and you hit A or B when it's in the right place. the movement takes a sec to get used to, but really only a sec.
you get three shots. if you get any ball in, you get your three shots back. if you use three shots and don't hit any of the balls in, you lose a life. the game is generous about handing you extra lives, and the title screen lets you select whatever course you want anyway. also an option to play 2 player competitive or play against the computer.

pros: chill, controls are mostly intuitive (it's surprising how similar it feels to yakuza, albeit way easier). a cool relaxing tune. being able to start from whatever course you want is essentially infinite continues.
cons: the game has 60 courses but it feels like they ran out of ideas about halfway through and stretched the middle of the game out with a bunch of courses that feel kind of the same. the game only has 3 songs: the menu/"you won the whole game" song, "the level is starting jingle" and "the only other song." i think this one would be fun to do like one course a day or something, so that it doesn't start to grate on you.

next up is square's second entry for the NES: rad racer.

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
Wizards & Warriors (NES)

I think I used four continues? I wish I'd known about the feather in level 2 back in the day so I could've beat it then, instead of dying 300 times in level 3 waiting for a blue potion to spawn. Now I want to try Ironsword again but I know I won't beat it.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

welcome posted:

Wizards & Warriors (NES)

I think I used four continues? I wish I'd known about the feather in level 2 back in the day so I could've beat it then, instead of dying 300 times in level 3 waiting for a blue potion to spawn. Now I want to try Ironsword again but I know I won't beat it.

the feather in level 2 is the most bullshit part of the game IMO. that you basically need it for level 3 means you're either going to die a bunch trying to get a blue potion drop in level 3 or die a bunch getting the potion that actually lets you reach the feather. i think they made a mistake and put the platform a little too far.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

welcome posted:

Wizards & Warriors (NES)

Lol I looked at Ironsword for five minutes then remembered what a turd it is.

I don't think I ever got past the fire boss.

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut

Bicyclops posted:

the feather in level 2 is the most bullshit part of the game IMO. that you basically need it for level 3 means you're either going to die a bunch trying to get a blue potion drop in level 3 or die a bunch getting the potion that actually lets you reach the feather. i think they made a mistake and put the platform a little too far.

If they'd just put a guaranteed potion spawn nearby, even if it was almost unreasonably far away like the feather one, I'd be okay with it, but having to rely on random drops really sucks. I think it was intentional, they force you to farm gems in the last level so clearly they hated their players.

I was so confused but also elated when I tried that jump expecting to fall and found myself over the slope lol. I'd thought for years that the potion/impossible bubble jump were the only ways to get that key.

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
while seeing what games I beat in 2015 from the old threads, I found the video I was talking about

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGVUsmCGwPU lmao

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

while seeing what games I beat in 2015 from the old threads, I found the video I was talking about

lmfao

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

lol

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
1) Heavy Rain
2) Hitman 3

Went through the last mission this morning. SASO all the way through - so now that's out of the way, I'm gonna go through fifty more times, having fun with disguises and the like! Took under 10hrs according to Steam. Definitely felt shorter than the previous two games, but more Hitman is always good!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

welcome posted:

Wizards & Warriors (NES)

Iribswird is stilll miserable