Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
holy poo poo i need to move to chile

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
New tire day

Ivan's in town so we went for a little ride. Found some dirt, got snowed on a bit, it was fun.

Last gravel tires were Maxxis ramblers. This time I decided to try the G-one R. First impression is these seem pretty similar. Knob height isn't too different, they're pretty smooth and fast rolling, but I didn't feel very comfortable pushing them much in any corners in today's conditions. They do run small. On my i23 rims these come out to 38mm exactly for a 40. The 38 ramblers I had I think measured more like 40 even. I'll leave them at like 50psi and measure again in like a week or two to see if they stretch a bit.

Warmer today. Gravel season is coming to an end though

jamal fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Nov 25, 2021

El Laucha
Oct 9, 2012

Just got back from my first attempt at ultracycling: https://acrossandes.cc/route.html

Made it to 640km, with just over 9700m of climbing (strava), sadly my knee gave up at the beggining of day 4 (I had planned to complete it in 5 days). Battled with knee pain since day 2, day 3 was an "easy" day and I hoped that would do the trick, but it finally made me quit at the start of the 4th day.

The bike performed excellently, the wheels were a pleasure to ride, the sram transmission, gently caress sram jfc I swear I'm never using another part made by them. First time using chamois cream, it ended up being the single most important item I had. Also, the handlebar feedbag was bought the day before the start of the race and it ended up being the most usefull during the day.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Great pics, sorry to hear about the knee - hopefully something that can be fixed for next time

El Laucha posted:

the sram transmission, gently caress sram jfc I swear I'm never using another part made by them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tsk3zAZyLaQ

El Laucha posted:

First time using chamois cream

:eyepop: you have a taint of steel

El Laucha
Oct 9, 2012

Ordered a grx di2 group yesterday, now to forget about it for 4-6 months and hope ir just arrives as a surprise.

As for the cream, don’t know why I never dated to try it before. Also discovered that applying it directly to the spots you know will be giving you trouble is much better than bathing the bibs in it. I’ll probably won’t be riding anything over 100km without it now.

And the knee stuff was my own fault. I suspected that the seat post had slipped 2-3mm after day 2 so being the idiot I am I started messing with its height. At first it helped, but during day 3 it started to get worse, so I kept messing with it and by day 4 I could barely walk. The knee is ok now after 4-5 days, seems like I didn’t get to an injury level.

After checking photos I took before the ride, the seat post hadn’t actually slipped.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Little low is a ton better than a little high

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

El Laucha posted:

Ordered a grx di2 group yesterday, now to forget about it for 4-6 months and hope ir just arrives as a surprise.

As for the cream, don’t know why I never dated to try it before. Also discovered that applying it directly to the spots you know will be giving you trouble is much better than bathing the bibs in it. I’ll probably won’t be riding anything over 100km without it now.

And the knee stuff was my own fault. I suspected that the seat post had slipped 2-3mm after day 2 so being the idiot I am I started messing with its height. At first it helped, but during day 3 it started to get worse, so I kept messing with it and by day 4 I could barely walk. The knee is ok now after 4-5 days, seems like I didn’t get to an injury level.

After checking photos I took before the ride, the seat post hadn’t actually slipped.

Throw a piece of electrical tape around the post where it enters the frame. Easy way to see if it slips because it’ll bunch up the tape.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Throw a piece of electrical tape around the post where it enters the frame. Easy way to see if it slips because it’ll bunch up the tape.

Also good advice in case you ever need to take the seatpost out to travel, gently caress with di2 battery, pour out water after pressure washing, etc.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
I do it with scotch tape so it's stealthier, and I ut it one tape's width above the insertion, so it doesn't crumble. Less accurate but it somehow seems cleaner to me.

El Laucha
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah, I had a piece of an old inner tube wrapped around the seat post . After 300km, couple of hours of sleep, in pain and under a scorching sun, I found out days later that I didn’t make the best decision.

I just thought it had slipped, checking a pic I took before leaving I can now see that it never actually slipped. Couldn’t make it from the pic in my cellphone in the moment, only after viewing the original pic in full size on a big screen I saw that I had made a mistake. It’s a good technique tho, gonna have to trust my bike more next time.

2022 I’m going for the rematch, I know I can make it. This time better prepared and with more respect for what it means to cycle so much in so few days on terrible roads. I don’t even think you could call this gravel, at least 25% of the road was more suited for an mtb.

My body still hurts, it’s a whole new level of getting hosed up post ride.

El Laucha
Oct 9, 2012

Another 400km of gravel done, this time with support.

First day we had temps of 33-35C°, next day we got rain and it was nearly 0° at the highest point. Luckly we knew a lodge that was on our route, which was closed to public but we knew the owners so we gota fire going and were able to dry ourselfs before continuing. We still had 120km of riding ahead and it would have been really miserable if we stayed wet.

I think I'm going to take a few days off the bike now, my back and knee still aren't back to 100%.

rngd in the womb
Oct 13, 2009

Yam Slacker
That looks like a good time!

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
oh my god, that looks amazing

i should leave this shithole country and move to south america

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Gravel riders, I have a question for y'all. What's the preferred etiquette for an automobile passing a bicyclist on a gravel road? I ask because I was in Badlands NP a few years ago in my Jeep, and I came up behind a group of bicyclists in the middle of nowhere. I ended up passing them slowly and giving them as much room as I could, but I still felt bad because I know my truck was kicking up a lot of dust. Is there a better way?

Agreeing that this trip is dope.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Go slow, give a lot of space, don't do it into a blind corner, compliment their bikes as you go by even if their bikes suck.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

El Laucha posted:

Another 400km of gravel done, this time with support.
Good lord this is good. Mind if I ask about how much these supported rides cost? How many people typically ride them and is it usually the same crew or a bunch of randoms?

El Laucha
Oct 9, 2012

1200-1400 usd for 4-5 days, groups of 15-25. You get a shared room at a lodge, breakfast/lunch/dinner (and all the snacks you can get your hands on) photos, mechanical help on/off road, we usually have 2-3 support cars, shitload of booze (both during the ride and at the lodge, top shelf wine and beer on tap, plus whatever else you decide to bring or find left over from other trips).

We have a core group of 5 who organize the whole thing (2 are the owners), plus around 5 of us who try to make at least 1 trip per year organized by these guys, 5 usually from the club and the rest people who know someone and are invited.

I think this is the 3rd year the lodge has been operational but as far as I know they’ve been building this place since 2012. It’s a once a year thing, but once they fully work out the logistics it’s going to be a more frequent deal.

E: I’d like to add that I am currently living in this area, and all the pics I’ve uploaded during the past 2 years are all from places in a 100 mile radius. It really is a great place to ride.

El Laucha fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Dec 17, 2021

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
I hesitate to bring racing into the Spirit thread, but Iceland is putting on an endurance gravel race, with five BIPOC supported slots:
https://cyclingwestfjords.com/apply/
Still have to get your own bike into the country, though a clever applicant should be hitting up Lauf for a discounted rental

Pass it around if you know anyone who'd want to do it.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
It was freezing cold and sunny and I got out and did some gravel and it felt gooood.

El Laucha
Oct 9, 2012

The training rides I do here on gravel takes me on 2 different routes to the same volcano, but I hadn't yet made the connection between the two because I wasn't sure if there was a way to do it by bike. I asked around and a few people told me that yes, it can be done by bike.

View from the highest point I managed to bike to, last 550m at 18.2% average. Lake Villarrica down there.

You can see a bit of Calafquen lake to this side

Look to the other side and you get a glimpse of Caburgua lake

Thats where the trail starts, first time I've noticed this road. I've been going up here for 25+ years.

Kinda sandy, but I'll keep going

One of the places where lava flowed during eruptions

I should've really turned around by this point, but I had calculated that the trail was just 5km and by this point I was 2km in so I decided to keep going.

Another lava flow path, from a different eruption

Managed to get to the other side. I ended up walking around 9-10km because I'm an idiot. It was still a nice day because the trail was beautiful and nearly no one knows about it.

Bonus:
https://i.imgur.com/XQVVajE.mp4

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS
That looks like one memorable ride. They need a Volcano category of bike next.

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

I nominate that post to be the new dictionary definition for The Spirit of Gravel Riding.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
Does anyone here know how close to printed size gravel kings run? I tried throwing some Kendas that claim to be 28m on my road bike to test it off road, but they actually measured nearly 32mm and rubbed a smidge on the rear brake bridge. I've been tempted to pick up some GKs, but I don't want to bother if they're going to run big too. The rims I'm running are internal width 19mm.

Oldsrocket_27 fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Jan 24, 2022

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

Does anyone here know how close to printed size gravel kings run? I tired throwing some Kendas that claim to be 28m on my road bike to test it off road, but they actually measured nearly 32mm and rubbed a smidge on the rear brake bridge. I've been tempted to pick up some GKs, but I don't want to bother if they're going to run big too. The rims I'm running are internal width 19mm.

38 GK SKs measure at 38.49mm on an 21mm ID rim here.

Checked some Kendas I have - 1.95” tire is at 2.074” on a mystery rim.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

Does anyone here know how close to printed size gravel kings run? I tired throwing some Kendas that claim to be 28m on my road bike to test it off road, but they actually measured nearly 32mm and rubbed a smidge on the rear brake bridge. I've been tempted to pick up some GKs, but I don't want to bother if they're going to run big too. The rims I'm running are internal width 19mm.

they run a good bit wider, usually by 1-2mm in my experience

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009
650B Gravelkings in 47mm measure 49.xx mm on my i23 rims.

So yeah, 1 to 2mm wider.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
Thanks for the replies. It's interesting, digging around online I've found a lot about how they typically run large, but for the 26mm and 28mm specifically I see people saying they run small. Someone on reddit was running 28mm on 19mm rims and the actual measure was ~25-26mm, so maybe it's worth a shot.

Cat Ass Trophy
Jul 24, 2007
I can do twice the work in half the time
Along the lines of the mountain bike thread. I do hate money.

So I bought some new items for my gravel bike.

A Ti bottle opener.

A handlebar mounted bell with cow bell mode.

A carbon fiber Benchmade Bugout. No idea why I did this.

I am most excited about the bottle opener. Mexican cokes don't open thmeselves.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
I'm gravel wheel shopping for the major jake because the stock wheels are trash - unbranded grindey hubs laced to wtb i23s that seem to be made out of cheese and still weigh like 2000g.

Last fall I built some light bicycle carbon tubulars for cyclocross. Wound up with 240 hubs which was about all I could track down. Instead of having those on a set of wheels I'll use like 7 times a year I'm leaning toward building some clinchers with them. Probably nox skylines. Listed at 345g. Either that or just buy some zipp 303ses or something.

Anyway I went on a gravel ride like a week ago. It's cold and snowy again now though

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Used non-boost 29er mtb wheels are the move for cheap grav bike wheels. 15x100 will work on your fork with a spacer (it’s the same fork as the JTS iirc, and that’s what I have)

El Laucha
Oct 9, 2012

So, we took a ride

The start of the real Patagonia, a trip that had been postponed since 2019.

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game
Went out on a nice long gravel ride today. IWAR is in two weeks. The race demands that you be packed well enough to make it 100 miles with no refueling.

Here's my setup this year. Much improved over last year's attempt.

🐈!

And since I was dicking around on a long ride I busted out some squares too. First time in well over a year. Got my squares up to 43x43x3.
https://i.imgur.com/0SAzJP0.mp4

Crumps Brother fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Apr 10, 2022

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.
Staying at the Gravel House in Patagonia Arizona for a long weekend. Gravel here is 100% as advertised. Coming from SoCal it is wild to have miles and miles of wide gravel roads that don’t have to be connected by paved sections. It’s also weird riding 2% grade uphill for 2 hours and then 2% downhill all the way home. All our elevation profiles at home look like a sawblade.

https://strava.app.link/

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

tylertfb posted:

Staying at the Gravel House in Patagonia Arizona for a long weekend. Gravel here is 100% as advertised. Coming from SoCal it is wild to have miles and miles of wide gravel roads that don’t have to be connected by paved sections. It’s also weird riding 2% grade uphill for 2 hours and then 2% downhill all the way home. All our elevation profiles at home look like a sawblade.

https://strava.app.link/

The trike I got a few weeks ago could deal with that:

The prior owner set this up with an absurd gear range of 15.8 Gear Inches to 167.2 Gear Inches. The low is cool, the high is dumb. (triple crank, 10 speed cassette, and a 3 speed DD3 hub).

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
Did a big training ride yesterday for my first imperial century (which will be 109 mi of gravel trails) and tested out my equipment setup. Buddy and I zig-zagged section lines and county roads to a local wildlife refuge then took the long way home, 72.6 miles of 95% dirt and gravel. 6 hours, but with 45-50 mins stop time, so right about on target pace. Low 70s F temp, ~5mph breeze all day. Idyllic conditions.

Not pictured is a third bottle in my jersey. I was a little worried about the frame bag rubbing my legs, but it wasn't too bad. 28mm Gravel king SK+ were adequate for the most part, though I did pick up a slow leak after a really stony section line ~15miles from home, but I was able to just limp it home by quickly adding more air twice. My buddy's tubeless burped on the same section, so I'm pretty lucky I didn't blow the tube outright (though I had spares).

The refuge itself is probably much prettier to the birds. It is very flat here. Saw a crane, lots of ducks and geese, yellow-headed blackbirds, a hawk. Missed bald eagles this time, but I've seen them there before.

We rode a few prettier areas too, including a flooding bridge with some beginning to wash-out road, and some fun rolling hills along a stream (with cows!) but I don't think to get my phone out while I'm actually riding, I just go. Nutrition and water planning was good for this distance, and with the support on the course for the target ride I expect a really enjoyable time. Feeling better about getting through the distance, my legs aren't as ruined today as I thought they'd be.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I'm pretty sure some of yall follow Anton Krupicka, but he just did a big ride from Boulder, CO deep into Nebraska and back over the last week and took some really cool pictures. Very Spirit of Gravel.

Pics from these posts:
https://www.instagram.com/p/CdQUF7uOLn2/
https://www.instagram.com/p/CdV6QTxuiEK/
https://www.instagram.com/p/CddOIrtukQC/
https://www.instagram.com/p/CdhnTXsOPWf/
https://www.instagram.com/p/CdoEz_hOYFx/

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
the colorado high plains and nebraska sand hills sure are pretty

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
I want to add a new bike to my collection (road and MTB) and gravel bikes really interest me. I’ve been looking at the Canyon Grail with GRX 8xx drivetrain. What other options should I look at? Price range around $2500-3500.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

e.pilot posted:

the colorado high plains and nebraska sand hills sure are pretty

Yeah I really hope I can get a few rides in around Pawnee Buttes or somewhere out there this year. Southern Wyoming would be good too if it’s not too windy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime
Pawnee Grasslands are long and rolly