Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Russian Bear posted:

Surely you mean B58.

Comedy answer: toyota has blessed the B58 with their magic and it won't break now*

*under stock tune

There was a lot done to the B58 to make it reliable. They got rid of or shielded a lot of the plastic bits that were loving up due to heat etc. So while it probably won't do 300,000 miles I suspect you'll comfortably be able to reach 200,000 with only 20% higher maintenance costs because it's a BMW.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
I don't quite get this.

https://www.thedrive.com/news/43963/2023-cadillac-escalade-v-series-this-is-it

I always saw the Escalade as the SUV to be driven around in, not to drive yourself but I guess it will appeal to somebody.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

davecrazy posted:

I don't quite get this.

I always saw the Escalade as the SUV to be driven around in, not to drive yourself but I guess it will appeal to somebody.

The 7 series and S class both come in a V12. Not to mention Bentley and Rolls.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

It's absolutely both. I've never lived anywhere near "be chauffeured around" money and I see way too many of those every day.

There's one always parked out front of a local pizza chain with supposed ties to organized crime in my area, too, so I guess it has use as a pizza delivery vehicle too :thunk:

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

KillHour posted:

The 7 series and S class both come in a V12. Not to mention Bentley and Rolls.

V12 is a big cost premium to have a smoother engine, right? You can make a V8 make as much power as you need, so the V12 is just about that inherent balance, as well as more cylinders to make power delivery smoother. Seems like a winner for getting driven around in too.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Sab669 posted:

It's absolutely both. I've never lived anywhere near "be chauffeured around" money and I see way too many of those every day.

There's one always parked out front of a local pizza chain with supposed ties to organized crime in my area, too, so I guess it has use as a pizza delivery vehicle too :thunk:

Understatement of the century.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buffalo_crime_family

La Nova does have good blue cheese though.

Twerk from Home posted:

V12 is a big cost premium to have a smoother engine, right? You can make a V8 make as much power as you need, so the V12 is just about that inherent balance, as well as more cylinders to make power delivery smoother. Seems like a winner for getting driven around in too.

As a V12 owner, a V12 is about having a V12 badge on the side of your 6 figure car.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
I took a long look at the Escalade, Grand Wagoner and Navigator before I decided to drop down a segment and get the SRT Durango. I always felt the experience was better in the passenger seat or back seat then up front when I was in one of the full sized luxury SUVs.

That said if I ever decide to move up to the full size lux SUV I'll get the Grand Wagoner. That thing was nice.

davecrazy fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Jan 21, 2022

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Also what's the deal with the shark fine antenna thing offcenter / over the driver's seat?

That bugs me so much.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Sab669 posted:

Also what's the deal with the shark fine antenna thing offcenter / over the driver's seat?

That bugs me so much.

Sat radio and GPS receiver

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

davecrazy posted:

I don't quite get this.

its always been the leader in the 'more money than sense' class

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Sab669 posted:

That bugs me so much.

It is a flag mounting bracket for an extremely large american flag from aliexpress

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

skipdogg posted:

Sat radio and GPS receiver

Right but why is it offcenter lol

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Sab669 posted:

Making it closer to the head unit cpu for reduced interference? :shrug:

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Sab669 posted:

I've heard it's for cost savings. Save 5 cents on wire per vehicle kind of thing. It's the same on all the trucks too.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Well my simple lizard brain hates asymmetry like that lol.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
put a fake one on the other side, problem solved

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

Proud Christian Mom posted:

its always been the leader in the 'more money than sense' class

Same reason why you tend to see more G63s than G550s

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me

Sab669 posted:

You can't put the antenna where the sunroof goes.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Cars are inherently asymmetric anyway, unless you are a McLaren F1.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I don't really care that much about symmetry but I could never do a Veloster. That door thing is just too weird for me.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

That doesn't bother me at all. I either access my car through the driver door or the hatch so :shrug:

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001
We need more asymmetric cars.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Sab669 posted:

That bugs me so much.
I like it! But I like the Veloster, too.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

its better than putting it smack bang in the middle of the roof and preventing you using the roof racks.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGRuIOp4jUc

quote:

All-new 2022 Ford Bronco® Raptor™, designed and engineered by Ford Performance to be the world’s first Ultra4 Racing-inspired SUV, is capable of highway-speed desert-dune conquering and Baja rock-crawling

Bronco Raptor packs extreme Built Wild™ capability and durability with an exclusive twin-turbo 3.0-liter EcoBoost® engine targeted to deliver more than 400 horsepower*, a Raptor HOSS 4.0 race-ready suspension system, a fully boxed, high-strength steel frame, and standard 37-inch all-terrain tires

At 9.8 inches wider than a base Bronco four-door for more confident high-speed cornering, Bronco Raptor epitomizes extreme Built Wild design with race-inspired features inside and out, accented by Raptor-family signature cues

https://twitter.com/phoebesaid/status/1485572227663904770?s=21

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
10 inches wider. Woah.

If I had a bronco Id want that grill. And engine. But the rest...meh.

BrownieVK
Nov 10, 2009

Eat my ass
Lol they can't even get normal Broncos built. This thing is gonna be 100k at every dealer that manages to get one.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
My downtown garage weeps at the thought of trying to fit that in.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Ford isn't taking any more orders on the Maverick because the order backlog is so long.

Two interesting quotes from the article: "Most Mavericks are selling in the mid- to high-$20,000 range, Mr. Lemley said. 'We desperately needed something in that price range,' he said."

"Chris Goeschel, an executive at a Las Vegas Ford dealership, said he has seen strong demand from local business owners, including electricians or pool-maintenance companies, for Maverick models in the mid-$20,000s."

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

BrownieVK posted:

Lol they can't even get normal Broncos built. This thing is gonna be 100k at every dealer that manages to get one.

building these will absolute replace build of some number of normal Broncos. Ford knows where the money's at

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

I never see actual tradespeople using pickups here in Chicago. It's all white van men. Is one of the primary issues weather? If you're an electrician for example like they mentioned, how are you leaving tools and equipment in a pickup bed?

The only time I see pickups used for trades is for roadworks like snow removal or salting. So in the winter it seems they all come out all of a sudden.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Inner Light posted:

I never see actual tradespeople using pickups here in Chicago. It's all white van men. Is one of the primary issues weather? If you're an electrician for example like they mentioned, how are you leaving tools and equipment in a pickup bed?

The only time I see pickups used for trades is for roadworks like snow removal or salting. So in the winter it seems they all come out all of a sudden.

The article is quoting someone from Las Vegas. Where it rains like, what, two days a year there?

But yea I'm not sure what features something like the Maverick offers over a Transit :thunk:

rifles
Oct 8, 2007
is this thing working

Sab669 posted:

The article is quoting someone from Las Vegas. Where it rains like, what, two days a year there?

But yea I'm not sure what features something like the Maverick offers over a Transit :thunk:

Hybrid offers 42 mpg in the city, if you don't need a huge van just to cart some tools around with a cover on the bed, or put your stuff on drawer sliders I guess it's a good choice?

I want one, but I'm holding out for the new Ranger to see what they're offering - would be worth it to me to have 7500 lb tow capacity.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

A tonneau cover for a work pickup is great. I had a soft rollup one on my '05 Dakota when I was flipping houses in the mid aughts.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

davecrazy posted:

A tonneau cover for a work pickup is great. I had a soft rollup one on my '05 Dakota when I was flipping houses in the mid aughts.

But what advantage does this have over a covered van all other things equal? Or maybe the van is even a little bit cheaper since trucks have a premium attached?

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Inner Light posted:

But what advantage does this have over a covered van all other things equal? Or maybe the van is even a little bit cheaper since trucks have a premium attached?

A van would have more space. A regular tonneau cover is just flat over the bed of a truck.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

The one advantage I can think of is not wanting to be in the same enclosed space as some of the stuff you're using. Like I can see pool guys preferring trucks to vans because they don't want to drive around all day inhaling chlorine tablet and other chemical fumes.

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

BrownieVK posted:

That's exactly what I was thinking when I read that tweet. Good luck finding that thing for anything less than 6 figures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
All the pool guys in Vegas drive ancient rangers full of chemicals and pump units on hand trucks. They could never get away with a van. The electricians also drive old rangers, but some also drive full size (electricians here are always hauling large palletized equipment for some reason).