Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Consider the first ten years a "planning decade".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Every day SC inches closer to SS13

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

TheDarkFlame posted:

I remember joining a goon SS13 server ages ago where a lot of the old guard would talk about Poo, which was a substance that was removed from the game at some point. Even with normal substances, you give the kind of reprobates who play SS13 a new thing they and will put it into every system they can find, they will paint the station with it, they will put it in all the food... and apparently some people got incredibly weird about poo. I don't know the details, just that "bring back poo" as a thing you'd see here and there when someone was trying to be weird.

Reminder that SS13 is a game that really had Janitor gameplay, and because about 80% of that game was about being an absolute arsehole to everyone else on the station the Janitor was a common source of grief. Which makes perfect sense, when your job is hygiene control on a station that 60% of the crew treat as entirely disposable and the rest are actively trying to destroy it by way of being traitors or scientists or engineers.

Janitor is one of my favourite jobs in SS13 so I really can't wait to trade the funny 2D sprite game with the vampire clowns and nukes for the very fidelitous Star Citizen where I spend eighteen hours cleaning a poo poo-streaked toilet in VR in return for moldy space bread and permission to empty my poopometre

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
just a forest of bad poser models standing proud atop their airport waiting room seats, making GBS threads constantly, as far as the eye can see

marumaru
May 20, 2013

quote:

Is this becoming a hate subreddit? (self.starcitizen_refunds)

As you may have noticed, CIG's 11+ year content drought has slowly turned this subreddit into "look at this dumb thing a Star Citizen fan said" ad infinitum. Frankly I think this is despicable and harassing. Where do you people get off quoting anonymous public posts made on a social media platform, and then discussing them on the same platform? It's totally hosed up. Reddit is for posting pretty pictures of expensive corporate products and then trying to convince other maladjusted dimwits to buy them. This is not the place for discussion and criticism.

Indeed, informed criticism is a bannable offense on almost every other subreddit, and I think its time the mods here followed suit. Star Citizen fans often make the point that it is extremely disingenuous to directly quote Chris Roberts' past statements, and then hold him to those statements. After all, the scope has expanded. For instance in June, 2020 Squadron 42 was 1 month from beta and today it is at least 5 years out. Things change guys. You can't expect people taking your money to just, like, give you the product you paid for all willy nilly! It's a process. That's how whale-milking development works.

And I think the same consideration should be extended to his loyal fans. Just because they are posting marketing propaganda for a massive scam does not give you the right to question what they say or express your own views on the validity of the project. That, my friends, is hate - and hate is not cool.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://i.imgur.com/YepP49U.mp4

AndreTheGiantBoned
Oct 28, 2010

Too much on the nose

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

NumptyScrub posted:

When you bought in, were you aware that after starting development in 2012, they were still in a pre-alpha, not-feature-complete state?

How is the performance of SC on your rig, compared to contemporary games (CPU / GPU utilisation, framerate, that sort of thing)?

Not trolling FYI, honestly interested in your perspective on this if you are new to the project, since I am jaded as all hell at this point.

I was aware it started way back in 1999 with a dream and is still going, yes. I first heard about it before kickstarter happened and, while being grateful to crobear for Freelancer, disliked the initial 2014-2015 completion date. "2 years!" I cried, a lot could change! (It did, but then it didn't).
Surprisingly, there's enough stable and working features for me, much like interesting mechanics.
I didn't know mining can be interesting!
Hell, there's more meaningful stuff to do than in a "complete, released game" that is stuck in 1984 game design with 400 billion empty star systems. (elite:1984 dangerous)
In 10 days I had more emergent gameplay happen than in 1k hours of e:d.

I have a workstation Ivy Bridge 2013 cpu and slow ECC ram, this impacts the performance a lot but have only ~30% less performance than youtubers and streamers thanks to 3060ti. Major problems are small stutters and inability to play 100% smoothly.
Cities 28-40fps, space combat 30-60fps. (max settings) I don't have any cpu/ram heavy games so it's uncomparable for me.

I've been in the same boat of "lmao jpeg sellers" ever since they never delivered back in 2016 but looking for some skillbased space pvp I stumbled upon fellow goon videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2tDWkC8bjM one of these
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZa5WX8SFqo also, endless salt mines

And after playing for several days, after seeing how meticulously they did most of the things, how thought through most of the stuff is and then seeing what they actually are trying to accomplish I started to believe. Not in crobear, to believe that this tech they are trying to deliver for so long is worth the wait. I'd throw some more $ at them if I had some. If they accomplish the scale of interaction they are trying to do, this will help move gaming industry years forward. But it's not profitable for big companies to invent the tech because pubbies will still happily go and buy fifa/bf/cod "this year, even more better!" for $60 far more religiously than redditors praise crobear.

Erulisse fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Jan 24, 2022

.random
May 7, 2007

Erulisse posted:

I was aware it started way back in 1999 with a dream and is still going, yes. I first heard about it before kickstarter happened and, while being grateful to crobear for Freelancer, disliked the initial 2014-2015 completion date. "2 years!" I cried, a lot could change! (It did, but then it didn't).
Surprisingly, there's enough stable and working features for me, much like interesting mechanics.
Hell, there's more meaningful stuff to do than in a "complete, released game" that is stuck in 1984 game design with 400 billion empty star systems. (elite:1984 dangerous)

I have a workstation Ivy Bridge 2013 cpu and slow ECC ram, this impacts the performance a lot but have only ~30% less performance than youtubers and streamers thanks to 3060ti. Major problems are small stutters and inability to play 100% smoothly.
Cities 28-40fps, space combat 30-60fps. (max settings) I don't have any cpu/ram heavy games so it's uncomparable for me.

I've been in the same boat of "lmao jpeg sellers" ever since they never delivered back in 2016 but looking for some skillbased space pvp I stumbled upon fellow goon videos.

And after playing for several days, after seeing how meticulously they did most of the things, how thought through most of the stuff is and then seeing what they actually are trying to accomplish I started to believe. Not in crobear, to believe that this tech they are trying to deliver for so long is worth the wait. I'd throw some more $ at them if I had some. If they accomplish the scale of interaction they are trying to do, this will help move gaming industry years forward. But it's not profitable for big companies to invent the tech because pubbies will still happily go and buy fifa/bf/cod "this year, even more better!" for $60 far more religiously than redditors praise crobear.

I want to believe this post is made in earnest *so badly*

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

As always, even earnest praise of CIG needs to include a lot of "if"s and "trying to"s.

nawledgelambo
Nov 8, 2016

Immersion chariot
the first thing i check when purchasing online recreational software is whether or not my avatar can relieve it's bowels into a toilet and need to monitor it so i don't leave a loaf in my spacesuit and squish it into my cheeks as i sit into my $1000 dollar collection of art assets

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

Rotten Red Rod posted:

As always, even earnest praise of CIG needs to include a lot of "if"s and "trying to"s.

I could have used "when" just to trigger half of the thread but decided to be me - a stupid loving child that realised that even with all the money in the world all we'll be able to see actual space stuff only in games and not in real world.
So yeah, it's all honest hopes because there are shortcomings and failures and its all known.

Gravity_Storm
Mar 1, 2016

Erulisse posted:

I'm a new backer (10 days in).
I bought the $80 aegis titan pack.
Is worth it.

I think you may have clicked on the wrong pack friend, its traditional to pledge for the Idris pack.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

Gravity_Storm posted:

I think you may have clicked on the wrong pack friend, its traditional to pledge for the Idris pack.

Can I have your paypal to invoice you for the amount I need to upgrade to idris please?

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Erulisse posted:

Tell me more! :)

The good news for you is over time people are slowly able to reel in the impossible promises Chris made to sell the game without giving backers who backed for those reasons a refund so over time the game will be totally possible.

The biggest problem I had with it was that it was never going to be the mmo Chris promised. With that major hurdle just erased fairly recently the only real part of contention now is I guess watching a complex game be made by 700 full sail grads.

Just by sheer numbers and time and money, eventually they get it right.

At that point though, the real questions need to be asked that nobody on cig considers yet because free money:
1: Is the mmo fun?
2: is the single player thing fun?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Daztek posted:

post videos of you playing the game, tia

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XjwrlrmO4Y

this was my last attempt to get to a spaceship and fly in space

Shazback
Jan 26, 2013

Erulisse posted:

If they accomplish the scale of interaction they are trying to do, this will help move gaming industry years forward.

Can you elaborate on this point?

I feel Star Citizen has promised much, but so far hasn't moved the needle much with regards to delivering on these promises. I'm not a developer / computer toucher though so perhaps I'm mistaken in this respect. My perception is that conceptualizing is the easy part and should be given less weight than what they have actually implemented. Tony Z. (and some citizens) have talked at length about the incredible 'quanta' system which will deliver AI that is both computationally efficient, persistent, capable of passing a Turing test in an open-ended video game, and many other notions I'm omitting for clarity. For years though, the game's AI has been lackluster - NPCs barely do anything and have a very limited range of interactions and there's no risk of mistaking one for a player. CIG employees and citizens are quick to point out that the 'quanta' AI is not available / working as intended / only in the secret dev build on an airgapped server because some other feature is missing (e.g., server meshing, persistence, etc.) or because it's so great they want it to be a key launch feature for the game that nobody can see before. It's difficult for me to reconcile Star Citizen's track record and the notion that they are on the cusp of redefining the industry.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

Erulisse posted:

I could have used "when" just to trigger half of the thread but decided to be me - a stupid loving child that realised that even with all the money in the world all we'll be able to see actual space stuff only in games and not in real world.
So yeah, it's all honest hopes because there are shortcomings and failures and its all known.
Lol lmao lollllll

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I'm about to break

too triggered to live, too invested in space jpgs to die

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Shazback posted:

I feel Star Citizen has promised much, but so far hasn't moved the needle much with regards to delivering on these promises. I'm not a developer / computer toucher though so perhaps I'm mistaken in this respect. My perception is that conceptualizing is the easy part and should be given less weight than what they have actually implemented. Tony Z. (and some citizens) have talked at length about the incredible 'quanta' system which will deliver AI that is both computationally efficient, persistent, capable of passing a Turing test in an open-ended video game, and many other notions I'm omitting for clarity. For years though, the game's AI has been lackluster - NPCs barely do anything and have a very limited range of interactions and there's no risk of mistaking one for a player. CIG employees and citizens are quick to point out that the 'quanta' AI is not available / working as intended / only in the secret dev build on an airgapped server because some other feature is missing (e.g., server meshing, persistence, etc.) or because it's so great they want it to be a key launch feature for the game that nobody can see before. It's difficult for me to reconcile Star Citizen's track record and the notion that they are on the cusp of redefining the industry.

Nah.
Everything they've done and everything they've promised is bog-standard stuff that has been around forever. They're just good at hyping it up with obscurantist technobabble and they're also in large part talking to an audience that hasn't paid attention to games since the early aughties — a lot of them still believe that PC gaming is somehow in a slump and under siege from the nasty ebil consoles rather than more thriving and innovative than it has ever been (possibly with 1993 as the only exception).

The problem is that the CI¬G devs themselves — or at least the top management that gets to go on camera and make themselves look stupid — are just as out of touch and haven't been in the business since forever, so they can deliver this hype with a fair amount of conviction. They have no idea that their never-done-before super-tech has been done before and become standard components of a whole bunch of current game engines. They believe the nonsense they're peddling, and the audience has slowly been trimmed and conditioned to suffer from the same blind spots and delusions.

The “quanta” is a particularly fun example since it's the same kind of agent-based crowd-behaviour background sim stuff that has been a mainstay of management sims for the better part of this century. Check out traffic (and consequences) in Cities Skylines for an actual working implementation that is years beyond, yet also years older than anything Tony has waffled on about.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Erulisse posted:

:confused:

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I can't parse this. Not trying to be rude or dunk or anything I just legitimately have no idea what you are saying

The little child in me is happy to play these spaceships and share the experience and opinions because somewhere in the back of the mind there's looming "the best stuff about space you will get in this lifetime is shows, gaming and maybe they will launch a ship to mars"

Love how you put your own words as someone else's

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Please post videos. I've honestly tried to have fun in sc for several hours and have not succeeded in any way except a few mordant chuckles, I'd like to see what it looks like.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Emergent gameplay in Star Citizen lmao

loving what hahahaha

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Erulisse posted:

The little child in me is happy to play these spaceships and share the experience and opinions because somewhere in the back of the mind there's looming "the best stuff about space you will get in this lifetime is shows, gaming and maybe they will launch a ship to mars"

I mean you do you but there's a drat good reason everyone laughs at the idea of CIG actually finishing anything. It's been 10 years and it's still all years away. Not gonna knock spending $80 on it if you managed to get enjoyment out of it, but I will never understand the desire to spend thousands on this by anyone for any reason.

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

Erulisse posted:

to believe that this tech they are trying to deliver for so long is worth the wait. I'd throw some more $ at them if I had some. If they accomplish the scale of interaction they are trying to do, this will help move gaming industry years forward.

Server Meshing is coming this very year. You have arrived just in time!

It is going to suck, but do not fear. It is also coming next year too!

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Erulisse posted:

You do you man, if you are having fun that's awesome :)

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

Shazback posted:

The server meshing itself. As far as I know there's no such tech that enables desired interactions between so many entities on a meaningful level in a timely manner right now.
I'm not that computer literate myself so there's that basic explanation to not copypaste thousands of words of how stuff works vs how it should that some computer literate goon was so generous to explain to me.

sebmojo posted:

Please post videos. I've honestly tried to have fun in sc for several hours and have not succeeded in any way except a few mordant chuckles, I'd like to see what it looks like.

There are pvp videos posted above, I have some goofy stuff like Grand Theft Spaceship but all I have is mostly "poo poo I should record that" in the middle of the thing.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Erulisse posted:

I really didn't.
Those are my words as my words in response to his words.

Erulisse posted:

The server meshing itself. As far as I know there's no such tech that enables desired interactions between so many entities on a meaningful level in a timely manner right now.
I'm not that computer literate myself so there's that basic explanation to not copypaste thousands of words of how stuff works vs how it should that some computer literate goon was so generous to explain to me.

Correct. There's a very simple reason why it doesn't exist: because the problem they're describing and proposing to solve cannot be solved the way it is being described. In order for their server meshing concept to work, the game universe needs to be cut up and sectioned in such a way that everything works in parallel and only a minimal amount of information is shared between the servers, but the whole point of the exercise is to try to remove the need to cut up and section the game universe in exactly that way. All those interactions between those entities requires all the information to be shared, but for server meshing to work, it must not be. Meshing servers together to get one set of entities to fully interact with another set just means that the meshing overloads all the connected servers rather than just one.

They're trying to apply a parallelisation solution to a serial problem. They're just adding extra communication overhead and lag to the proceedings.

Tippis fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Jan 25, 2022

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Buy Land Claims ..... then the real fun begins.

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

Erulisse posted:

Do yourself a favour friend and don’t expect any of that poo poo. They’ve been talking it up for over half a decade and they still haven’t got a clue how to actually do it. What they’re adding this year will amaze you with how remarkably average it is. And that’s if it isn’t broken or delayed

Just enjoy the jankbox if it’s doing it for you. But don’t buy their honeyed words of infinite cream

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Erulisse posted:

Sorry, but this is literally the least likely working and useful part of the whole thing for reasons that Tippis beat me to.

Enjoy your jank, it will not revolutionize computer gaming.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

What if, like, just had one big server, then all the little servers would be already meshed

*hits bong*

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

Pixelate posted:

Do yourself a favour friend and don’t expect any of that poo poo. They’ve been talking it up for over half a decade and they still haven’t got a clue how to actually do it. What they’re adding this year will amaze you with how remarkably average it is. And that’s if it isn’t broken or delayed

Just enjoy the jankbox if it’s doing it for you. But don’t buy their honeyed words of infinite cream

I don't expect but I do hope.
And yeah, it works for me, I'm having fun and emergent gameplay in space with space ships, guns and people in all possible and imaginable combinations in an immersive environment! (Also relatively bug-free but I was not expecting that)

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Erulisse posted:

And yeah, it works for me, I'm having fun and emergent gameplay in space with space ships, guns and people in all possible and imaginable combinations in an immersive environment! (Also relatively bug-free but I was not expecting that)

I mean, don't hope for server meshing either. As was mentioned, it's not functional as a concept. Whatever "computer literate goon" explained it to you was not as computer literate as they think they are.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

At the end of the day, what you do with your limited time on earth is your choice and I see no harm in time spent with joy. I'd rather Croberts no get any more money but then there's no ethical consumption under capitalism so who cares.

This will in no way stop me from laughing at the game and it's deadly ramps and impossible promises. To me the best possible outcome for SC is that it gets broken into pieces and put together by people who know better. Give up on the "no shortcuts, no faking" poo poo because that has hamstrung the whole project from the beginning. Well. That and Cryengine.

The game Chris Roberts pitched will only ever superficially resemble whatever it ends up becoming. And that's a good thing, because what Chris Roberts "envisioned" was an impossibly complex mmo built on purpose to work poorly. You can make a complex game if you make it smart and with lots of tricks the player might never notice - and i predict if they ever ship anything at all, it will be because newer devs made smarter choices.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Rotten Red Rod posted:

What if, like, just had one big server, then all the little servers would be already meshed

*hits bong*

That's honestly how I understand server meshing.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
Pretty sure server meshing has been walked back to just regular run of the mill type arena game sharding where some set area is controlled by some server/cluster and you just move to that server/cluster when you go to that zone.

Even this isn't functional yet though. :shrug:

You won't be shooting shots through ten servers and hitting a space man through a hole in the side of his space car. Anything less than this is not what cig sold to people, though.

It's just dumbass promises being walked back or conveniently forgotten that people paid for but were impossible to achieve. There should be refunds if you bought in because of some promise that was made.

I'm sure the "PvP slider" owes a good handful of people some refunds, too.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

The Titanic posted:

Pretty sure server meshing has been walked back to just regular run of the mill type arena game sharding where some set area is controlled by some server/cluster and you just move to that server/cluster when you go to that zone.

Even this isn't functional yet though. :shrug:

You won't be shooting shots through ten servers and hitting a space man through a hole in the side of his space car. Anything less than this is not what cig sold to people, though.

It's just dumbass promises being walked back or conveniently forgotten that people paid for but were impossible to achieve. There should be refunds if you bought in because of some promise that was made.

I'm sure the "PvP slider" owes a good handful of people some refunds, too.

I don't think they have deviated outside of base Cryengine - Crysis server / client toolset. What I do want to believe is that they tried, burned a lot of money doing things "their way" and ending up understanding why MMO's are designed the way they are. They will continue to push the boundaries of their nested local grids (whatever its called), and end up doing the teleport player to out of map (into instanced ship map) and show streaming skybox of said object in main map projected into the instance to give the illusion that they're "there" - basic stuff (and what everyone and their dog is doing in games right now).

As long as they remain in this space -pun intended- the game will promise the universe but deliver a FFA doom3 looking shooter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

Remember when you were young, you shone like the sun

Shine on you crazy diamond!

Erulisse posted:

Welcome, friend.

I do enjoy having opposite perspectives in the thread and I’m glad you can have fun spending 80 bucks. Myself, I was a skeptic since the kickstarter announcement and just like reading about this game and poking fun at it.

I also honestly hope they can release a good space game, because we sure need more of those.

Looking forward your future reports!