Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin

Sinteres posted:

It's just an analogy. Given the propensity to bring up Munich itt, I don't see the problem. I'm not planning to do a deep dive or anything, if that helps. Anyway I certainly don't think keeping Kadyrov around is admirable, but if it keeps thousands of (mostly Chechen) people from dying in another war, I think describing it as cowardice is pretty weird.

Well it's an amazingly dumb analogy. Kadyrov was put in place by Putin, depends on him for financing, encouraged to kill Putin's enemies and allowed to kill his own enemies in Chechnya. Now he's kidnapping Russians in other parts of Russia and Putin is afraid to tell him to stay put in the borders of his fiefdom. Being unable to stand up to the idiot you put in power and used for your own goals when he can cause problems for you, while also being extremely ruthless with anyone else in the country that doesn't toe the line in contrast, is indeed cowardice. Pretty weird is trying to spin this into intelligent calculation of conflict avoidance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Somaen posted:

Well it's an amazingly dumb analogy. Kadyrov was put in place by Putin, depends on him for financing, encouraged to kill Putin's enemies and allowed to kill his own enemies in Chechnya. Now he's kidnapping Russians in other parts of Russia and Putin is afraid to tell him to stay put in the borders of his fiefdom. Being unable to stand up to the idiot you put in power and used for your own goals when he can cause problems for you, while also being extremely ruthless with anyone else in the country that doesn't toe the line in contrast, is indeed cowardice. Pretty weird is trying to spin this into intelligent calculation of conflict avoidance

Sorry you didn't like my analogy, but I think we're just going to have to disagree about what being a coward is. Obviously Kadyrov's a reprehensible person, as is Putin, and they're both pretty clearly murderers (I did some reading to refresh my knowledge of Kadyrov's crimes since we last discussed this, and I genuinely am outraged), but avoiding a third Chechen war still seems like a pretty important goal to me. I mean really it's not even all that clear that Putin disapproves very strongly of Kadyrov's methods in the first place.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

He is desperate to get a win out of anything this year.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Sinteres posted:

Come on man, I can't even make a little joke about a parliamentarian shitposting about 15th Century political geography without getting fact checked?

This thread is for Clancy and salad chat only, I'm sorry :colbert:

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Russia is going to invigorate the Cuban economy by crashing the carrier and leaving it to be scrapped by locals

What about salady Clancy chat

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Calling in the fuckin Cubans for a reference doesn't strike me as a sign of strength.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Cuba already is an observer in the Euroasian Union. What other symbolic bullshit are they going to tack on top of that to embellish their relations.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Putin痴 all about living in the glories of Russia past so trying to remake the Cuban missile crisis is p unsurprising tbh. Going to fall under the sway of a mystic healer and have an affair with a horse next.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

Calling in the fuckin Cubans for a reference doesn't strike me as a sign of strength.
It's bait to prompt the US into doing/saying something stupid that would feed into the "would Amerikkka accept hostile alliance in its sphere of interest?!" talking point.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Cugel the Clever posted:

It's bait to prompt the US into doing/saying something stupid that would feed into the "would Amerikkka accept hostile alliance in its sphere of interest?!" talking point.

Yeah it's 100% this. Blinken already said something stupid about it a while ago, so it's not exactly an impossible gotcha either, transparent though it may be.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Putin’s all about living in the glories of Russia past so trying to remake the Cuban missile crisis is p unsurprising tbh. Going to fall under the sway of a mystic healer and have an affair with a horse next.

Then annex Corfu

Rust Martialis fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Jan 24, 2022

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

Yeah this is the bit where Russia's hamfisted international messaging accidentally emphasises that they don't really have any friends in the world.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
I mean, what are they going to do, station nukes in Cuba and pretend Russia don't already have submarine borne IRBMs off the US coasts?

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Putin knows nothing he can put in Cuba has any strategic value, but I bet even a token force would be used against Biden to say he's a weak foreign policy president, first withdrawing from Afghanistan and then seeing a return of hostile forces off the coast of Florida, which is why Biden can get trapped into responding and putting American hypocrisy on display. Does it actually do Russia any good though? Probably not in any concrete way other than undermining Biden domestically.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Sinteres posted:

Putin knows nothing he can put in Cuba has any strategic value, but I bet even a token force would be used against Biden to say he's a weak foreign policy president, first withdrawing from Afghanistan and then seeing a return of hostile forces off the coast of Florida, which is why Biden can get trapped into responding and putting American hypocrisy on display. Does it actually do Russia any good though? Probably not in any concrete way other than undermining Biden domestically.

This would depend entirely on Cuba wanting to be involved in this poo poo. And apart from not hanging up on Putin when he called them, there's no sign they do. It's not like they stand to gain anything by pissing off the US.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

This would depend entirely on Cuba wanting to be involved in this poo poo. And apart from not hanging up on Putin when he called them, there's no sign they do.

Yeah there's a decent chance it's just hot air. Venezuela would probably go along with it, but that's a little less on the nose since it's a bit more distant and not partially occupied by the US, so I'm not sure it would be all that worthwhile (to the extent that the whole thing is worthwhile to begin with, which is not very).

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

https://twitter.com/Fxhedgers/statu...genumber%3D2853

Does this mean they've been talking and now they're pretty sure a decision has been made? Just waiting on the message to arrive?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

spacetoaster posted:

https://twitter.com/Fxhedgers/statu...genumber%3D2853

Does this mean they've been talking and now they're pretty sure a decision has been made? Just waiting on the message to arrive?

I mean Putin is basically giving out options assuming they won't be met, so I suspect so.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
The last 2 weeks of negotiations have been stalling tactics rather than a genuine attempt to engage with Russia, who themselves came with to the table asking for massive concessions they don't expect to receive.

I should add, anything that gets Putin to back off or at the very least dial down the scale of the conflict will involve throwing Zelensky's administration under the bus.

Conspiratiorist fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Jan 24, 2022

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Conspiratiorist posted:

The last 2 weeks of negotiations have been stalling tactics rather than a genuine attempt to engage with Russia, who themselves came with to the table asking for massive concessions they don't expect to receive.

Yeah even the arrest of the REvil Ransomware operators was likely an appeasement attempt to get the US to back off on Ukraine.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

The list of leaders on this call is... interesting: https://www.theguardian.com/us-news...f085a8aa7ae039f

quote:

More on the Ukraine situation: Joe Biden will hold a video call this afternoon with European leaders about the possible Russian invasion of Ukraine.

The call will be with:

Boris Johnson, prime minister of the United Kingdom
Emmanuel Macron, president of France
Olaf Scholz, chancellor of Germany
Andrzej Duda, president of Poland
Mario Draghi, president of Italy
Ursala von der Leyen, president of the European Commission
Charles Michel, president of the European Council
Jens Stoltenberg, secretary general of Nato

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Poor Erdogan.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Sinteres posted:

Chechnya is part of Russia, and engaged in attacks against Russia during the interwar period, so it doesn't really belong in a narrative about Russia's expansionist impulses.

The point was more about willingness to use force, be it offensively or defensively.

That was just for the European sphere too, since there's their involvement in Syria and Libya to account for as well.

And other than Chechnya 1 (which was rectified by the slaughter that was Chechnya 2, codifying Russian stability for a new generation) they've achieved their basic aims in each case.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

This is just sabre rattling, right?

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

https://twitter.com/ChristopherJM/status/1485669818921586692

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Winning hearts and minds by laying down sick burns on the country doing the most to try to prevent their invasion (short of trying diplomacy, anyway).

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Maybe Putin will help Iraqi citizens fly to Havana and get on boats to Florida to pressure USA? :belarus:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Ah yes, the Crime of Invasion. Rampant in the US.

I get what he is saying, but the reality is the invasion keeps looking more of a reality and I don't think the Biden admin has the stomach for a Afghanistan withdrawal 2.0

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jan 24, 2022

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Sinteres posted:

Winning hearts and minds by laying down sick burns on the country doing the most to try to prevent their invasion (short of trying diplomacy, anyway).

After Biden saying Russia could have a small invasion, as a treat, I don't think any burn is too big.

https://twitter.com/ZelenskyyUa/status/1484171183264129025

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

CommieGIR posted:

Hey, maybe Smokey the Carrier will visit Cuba. So excited.

Break down on its way to Cuba and be towed to a US port.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Conspiratiorist posted:

After Biden saying Russia could have a small invasion, as a treat, I don't think any burn is too big.

https://twitter.com/ZelenskyyUa/status/1484171183264129025

They should really own him by declining his future assistance then. I know Zelensky has domestic political concerns to worry about too, but biting the hand that feeds is generally a bad idea.

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

Sinteres posted:

They should really own him by declining his future assistance then. I know Zelensky has domestic political concerns to worry about too, but biting the hand that feeds is generally a bad idea.

how does it feel, being successfully trolled by zelensky

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Sinteres posted:

What else is there? I mean, you could argue we're here in the first place because Ukraine hasn't been suitably groveling, but they're sat out of all diplomatic talks between the West and Russia anyway, so sort of entirely capitulating really their only recourse is calling out the leaders dictating the nation's future among themselves.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
I think it's fine and understandable for the leaders of the democratic nation that's about to be invaded and annexed in an imperial war of conquest to be a little salty that the democracies of the 'free world' are waffling about discussing what type of sanctions they might slap on the imperial aggressor rather than, you know, defending democracy.

I'm not going to fault them for being a little pissed.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

テ青「テ堕テ青ク テ青ソテ青セテ青サテ青セテ堕テ青コテ青ク,
テ堕づ堕テ青ク テ青ソテ青セ テ堕づ堕テ青ク テ青ソテ青セテ青サテ青セテ堕テ青コテ青ク

Guy looks like Lenin

Also getting tired of BBC posting basically the same article with subtle changes for days now regarding the situation.
I get they have 100k troops at the border thats old as gently caress news write something new.

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

Preoptopus posted:

Guy looks like Lenin

eh, not really, except for the whole "being bald" thing

the most lenin-looking dude i know of is leonardo dicaprio. i think he should do a biopic or something about the revolution or whatever

nurmie fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Jan 24, 2022

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

nurmie posted:

how does it feel, being successfully trolled by zelensky

The modern day Nero, making le epic trollface while Kiev burns.

Conspiratiorist posted:

What else is there? I mean, you could argue we're here in the first place because Ukraine hasn't been suitably groveling, but they're sat out of all diplomatic talks between the West and Russia anyway, so sort of entirely capitulating really their only recourse is calling out the leaders dictating the nation's future among themselves.

I totally understand the frustration at not being in charge of his own destiny, but if I were his adviser I'd tell him not to go public with that frustration at a delicate time. :shrug: The Ukraine is a great power tweet is relatively mild pushback, but whoever decided to call the US a crime ridden shithole is a moron even (or especially) if they have a point.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jan 24, 2022

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Sinteres posted:

The modern day Nero, making le epic trollface while Kiev burns.

I totally understand the frustration at not being in charge of his own destiny, but if I were his adviser I'd tell him not to go public with that frustration at a delicate time.

Thankfully, you池e not his advisor. The last thing preservation of civic order in Ukraine needs is its President taking to the chin a supposed ally saying that Ukraine may be politely invaded. Whoever of his advisors made the LA crime comment is a moron who should watch less Hollywood, but the underlying concern expressed down the thread does also remain valid - withdrawal of diplomatic staff is relatively loud vote of no confidence.

Edit:

https://twitter.com/ChristopherJM/status/1485678910130040836

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Jan 24, 2022

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Sinteres posted:

Poor Erdogan.

For real though, it seems like Turkey would be a major stakeholder in Russia cementing it's hold over the northern Black Sea coast. I've read basically zero about how Turkey feels in all this. Anybody have any insight into what, if anything, is Erdogan's position and potential plans?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Spell its name right, or pay the price!!!!