Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Brawnfire posted:

Rupert Holmes

Escape (The Piña Colada Song)

This is a work of fiction. Names, characters, places and incidents either are products of the author’s imagination or are used fictitiously. Any resemblance to actual events or locales or persons, living or dead, is entirely coincidental.

"Hey, I don't reckon he actually killed a guy at all - a-and he's lying about it to his own mother!"

Rest of crowd at Live Aid '85: BOOOOO!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Miserable Maid posted:

This is really nice!!! Yeah,a big thing with toxic families is often the Golden Child isn't a jerk, but rather totally ignorant to how the whole thing is going down

It's nice they family had their eyes opened, so etimes a common enemy is what you need haha

The OP noted in the comments that her sister had enough pattern recognition to realize her mom was going from scapegoat to scapegoat as people wisely fled to escape her bullshit.

DGP Space Lion
Oct 10, 2012

Welcome to Goa, Singham

Breetai posted:

*ahem*

The first computer I used was a Commodore 64. If you didn't want to spend money on a floppy disc drive then a cheaper alternative was games/programs that were stored on standard audio cassette tape which you'd put in a special tape drive that interfaced with the computer.

There used to be radio stations which would provide computer programs. You'd tune to the correct station on your stereo, press Record on your tape deck at the alloted time, and the radio station would transmit an electronic screech lasting several tens of minutes which when recorded to the tape translated to ones and zeros In the correct format. You could then put the tape in your computer's tape drive and play the game you just downloaded off the airwaves.

I got a bunch of old computers recently and ended up playing ZX Spectrum Scrabble from an audio tape with a delighted and confused 20 year old, I had to explain several times how the program was encoded in the terrible noise. (Btw The game holds up really well for 1983, we played for over an hour)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Cythereal posted:

The OP noted in the comments that her sister had enough pattern recognition to realize her mom was going from scapegoat to scapegoat as people wisely fled to escape her bullshit.

Going after cousins after she'd driven off her non-golden children, I imagine at that point she became even less subtle about it. I don't think it's unheard of for parents to turn on the golden child when they run out of scapegoats either.

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.

B-Rock452 posted:

Wasn't there a doom clone involving Chex cereal or was that a fever dream

Chex Quest wasn’t even a Doom clone. It was straight up a WAD.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Edward_Tohr posted:

Chex Quest wasn’t even a Doom clone. It was straight up a WAD.

Yes and no, they actually licensed the engine and had the source to make changes. I suppose it could've been done with a WAD for the most part but not everything, especially at that time.

Flared Basic Bitch
Feb 22, 2005

Invading your personal space since 1968.

Barudak posted:

In college a guy got arrested for jumping on a cop car and spinning around while pissing onto the cops standing around it, so I recommend that but with your puke.

Edit: He apparently called it "whirlybirding"

This is the sort of heartwarming story that this thread needs more of.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Tarkus posted:

Yes and no, they actually licensed the engine and had the source to make changes. I suppose it could've been done with a WAD for the most part but not everything, especially at that time.

I think there was a wrapper around it for some of the menu effects and.. was there a cutscene? But if you opened up the disc and dug around there was a wad file that you could just dump into doom and it would take it without issue.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Hughlander posted:

TLDR: Learned dad had a very serious relationship after his death and refused to let this girlfriend and her family be at the wake/funeral.
If someone hosed my dad's corpse and claimed to be his girlfriend I'd kick her out of the funeral too, what is wrong with you people

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I may have mentioned this before but we had a party at our place years ago and a very drunk person needed to throw up, so they bypassed the bathroom, several garbage cans, and the kitchen sink in order to take the pasta pot from the cupboard and puke into that.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
I actually see the logic in that, at least when very drunk. These aren't your bathroom or garbage cans to have to clean so you don't wanna leave a mess, but a pot? You just dump out that bad boy out and throw it in the dishwasher!

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I may have mentioned this before but we had a party at our place years ago and a very drunk person needed to throw up, so they bypassed the bathroom, several garbage cans, and the kitchen sink in order to take the pasta pot from the cupboard and puke into that.

Sounds like a scene out of a slapstick comedy movie.

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

Quoth the Raven "I love the power glove. It's so bad..."
John Oliver mentions the chex game in snack games ep. It was coded by a teen i think

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

That's why you gotta set up Puke Points and make sure no snakes get in em

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

I was at a party in college where the bathroom was occupied (by my roommate getting a blowjob from a person who was not his date to the party), so this drunk guy beelined for the trashcan in the bedroom. He manage to make it and get it up to his face before hurling into the unlined mesh trashcan while standing on carpet.

mkvltra
Nov 1, 2020

That's actually really courteous

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
I did the same thing once, asked my friend if I could throw up in her toilet and she said "no" meaning I should throw up in the trash can, and I went outside and threw up all over their front steps.

they weren't happy

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

puke in the tub, pull the shower curtain closed

bing bong bing

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Lol just lol if you and your friends haven't projectile vommited everywhere during a party like you're reenacting the ipecac scene from Family Guy.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3

B-Rock452 posted:

Wasn't there a doom clone involving Chex cereal or was that a fever dream

Chex quest is a very fun game. It's available free on steam

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I have heard of tales of a legend known only as the Angry Dragon who is a real queasy drunk and a known street chunderer. He will apparently just abruptly stop and lean slightly forward, warning bystanders that he's about to spew his bile, and then square his shoulders, stretching back his arms, and unleash on the poor pavement, retching in a disharmonious baritone that could easily be mistaken for a roar.

I'm pretty sure he's a friend of a friend who shared this story one night, but no one I ask remembers telling me about him.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

My friend in college liked to puke off the roof

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Benagain posted:

I did the same thing once, asked my friend if I could throw up in her toilet and she said "no" meaning I should throw up in the trash can, and I went outside and threw up all over their front steps.

they weren't happy

that's on them - when someone is sick, you gotta be specific. being nauseous cuts your logic/reasoning skills drastically, it's just urgency and alarm. you can't expect a person on the edge of horking to read between the lines.

treat a person about to vomit like a firehose - point them where you need them but don't expect them to be able to do it themselves, and once they start there will be some force behind that current that isn't stopping until the pressure runs out.

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jan 24, 2022

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
The correct response is always to hand them a paper cup and say, “If you’re gonna spew, spew in this.”

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I'm pretty sure he's a friend of a friend who shared this story one night, but no one I ask remembers telling me about him.

Sorry mate, if nobody remembers the name of the drunk guy they tell stories about, it's you.

Funktastic
Jul 23, 2013

AITA for not letting my daughter drive alone at night which led to her not talking to me?

quote:

My daughter is 21F and lives in another city for university. She’s here for the holidays for 2 weeks and since all her friends are still at their universities, she has no one to hangout with but she’s not bothered by that since she wanted to spend time with her family aka us.

Now problem is, all of us are sick (not covid just flu we got tested) and so we still stay in our rooms but 2 days ago we went to a family friend’s wedding which is out of city and daughter didn’t join. But other then that, we’ve been home. Daughter has been bored this entire week saying she’s watched over 50 episodes of her show and she’s tired and wants to do something else with us. I tried to spend time with her by sitting an hour or two with her but that’s it because i really can’t do anything else I’m just tired. However tonight, daughter came to me and said she wanted to drive to the store and get some snacks so she could watch a movie and asked if i could come with her. The store is 5 minutes away but I wasn’t up to it so I said no ask your brother (her brother is perfectly fine, no flu), a while later she came back saying he said no and asked if she could just drive by herself since it’s so close and shouldn’t be a big deal since she has a license and it’s only 6:30 pm. I still said no after which she got angry and said it’s not fair that we don’t spend any time with her and she’s been trapped at home because we’re sick and that it must not even be serious since we attended a wedding thats outside our city and yet I wont go to a store thats 5 minutes away. I asked her to go to her room and calm down but she hasn’t talked to me since. So reddit AITA?

Edit: I don’t want her to go alone at night as I’m a lil scared, I don’t want her to get into danger

Edit 2: okay I get it I’m the AH. To answer some other common questions: no my daughter doesn’t do drugs or alcohol (she hates addiction because her father is an alcoholic) so she’s never under the influence. I don’t know if she drives alone at night while in university because we’ve never talked about that but I now know that she probably does. She doesn’t have any restrictions on herself in the other city but we made sure that she knew that while she’s here she will respect our rules which she does, although she’s usually a bit whiny about them. I’ll apologise to her and let her know that she can go, thankyou all for your judgement, I’ll try my best to not be a helicopter parent anymore.

Tl:dr i didn’t let my daughter drive alone so she’s not talking to me

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Breetai posted:

*ahem*

The first computer I used was a Commodore 64. If you didn't want to spend money on a floppy disc drive then a cheaper alternative was games/programs that were stored on standard audio cassette tape which you'd put in a special tape drive that interfaced with the computer.

There used to be radio stations which would provide computer programs. You'd tune to the correct station on your stereo, press Record on your tape deck at the alloted time, and the radio station would transmit an electronic screech lasting several tens of minutes which when recorded to the tape translated to ones and zeros In the correct format. You could then put the tape in your computer's tape drive and play the game you just downloaded off the airwaves.

remember those computer magazines that had games written in BASIC that you could type in? and after you spent an hour typing them in, you'd spend a few more hours looking for the one thing you mistyped? good times, good times

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Foo Diddley posted:

remember those computer magazines that had games written in BASIC that you could type in? and after you spent an hour typing them in, you'd spend a few more hours looking for the one thing you mistyped? good times, good times

Or the issue of Mad magazine that had a program in it, but they hosed the program up and had to print a correction in a subsequent issue?

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Breetai posted:

Or the issue of Mad magazine that had a program in it, but they hosed the program up and had to print a correction in a subsequent issue?

well it's a humor magazine, right? 'cuz that's loving hilarious

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

AITA for telling my daughter that I will never let her drive me anywhere in her life?

quote:

We have a tradition in our family that whenever one of our children pass their driving exam, we all go out and eat together at their favorite restaurant to celebrate.

I taught all my daughters (18, 17, and currently my two 15 year old's) how to drive, but my 16 year old wouldn't let me. She said that her friend was learning with a driving instructor, and she wanted to do that, too. No problem. I asked her to let me just teach her the basics then, but she said that she wanted to learn at the same pace as her friend. I offered to teach the friend the basics, too, but then my daughter just outright said, "No, Dad. No. I don't want you to teach me. It's not cool, okay, and I want to learn on my own."

I said, "You are learning on your own, I'm just going to teach you the basics and that's it."

She said she didn't want to talk about it anymore and the final answer was no. Part of her driving permit requirement was that she drive a certain amount of practice hours but she was only allowed to drive with a parent or driving instructor in the car. She would never drive with me in the car, so she got all her practice hours with her driving instructor and by driving my wife around. I complained to my wife and asked her what the heck was going on, and she just kept saying that our daughter was trying to be independent and impress me by doing it on her own. Finally, our daughter took her driving license. She passed and we went out to celebrate. She was supposed to drive the entire family to the restaurant, but I refused to get in. I went in one car while she drove her mom and sisters in the other.

I usually give the toasts but I refused, saying, that maybe the driving instructor should have been here to give it. My wife said, "Oh my gosh, this is so childish. You two need to talk about this right now and clear the air."

I said, "I need an explanation for why my own daughter was so against me teaching her to drive, or just even being the car with her while she was learning."

She said, "It wasn't personal. I just wanted to learn how to drive on my own. And with my friend. That's it."

Even my other daughters said, "Yeah, but you could have at least let Dad teach you one time." But she said that she was going to at one point, but then she felt pressured by everyone trying to push her into doing it that she just rebelled against the whole idea.

I said, "Well, what's done is done and you don't ever have worry about driving me around because I will never in your life let me drive me anywhere. I will never get in a car with you if you're behind the wheel." It got silent and the atmosphere was thick after that. My wife kept frowning at me and then after awhile I got up and said, "I'm going to go. I need to go clear my head."

Edit: To clarify, the part I'm most upset about is not even that she didn't let me teach her how to drive, but that she didn't even let me ride in the car with her one single time during the time she needed practice hours.

I'm a great driving instructor. I taught my 18 year old and 17 year old how to drive and they both passed on their first time. I'm teaching my 15 year old daughter's right now. I don't yell and I'm very patient because I know how stressing it can be. And I work with all styles. My 18 year old was extremely cautious driver, my 17 year old was a speeder, and with the twins right now - one of them is an impatient driver (she cuts people off all the time) and the other is the most patient driver ever (she lets everybody cut her).

Also, people are saying I should have just told my daughter how I felt. I did. I couldn't include everything because I didn't go over the limit, but I did go to her and say, "You know, it kind of bothers me that you won't even let me be in the car when you drive." She said she didn't want me there because I might start giving her tips here and there, and she considered that as me teaching her. I promised her I wouldn't (and I don't make promises lightly), but she still said no. This was before I complained to my wife. So I did try to talk to her.

EDIT: The issue is not that she wouldn't let me teach her how to drive, it was that she didn't even want me in the car one time, even after I tried to reach out to her. If your dad said to you, "Hey, it's kind of bothering me that you don't want me to teach you, but if you want want to learn on your own, that's fine. But can I just ride in the car with you one time to see how you're coming along? I promise I won't say anything during the ride or even ask to ride with you again after that." You wouldn't let him ride with you one time?

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

Funktastic posted:

AITA for not letting my daughter drive alone at night which led to her not talking to me?

drat, your daughter's probably gonna write a kickass song about it though

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PHzOOQfhPFg

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Motronic posted:

AITA for telling my daughter that I will never let her drive me anywhere in her life?

I get why he's hurt about this, but man you can't go full teenager response on your teenager, you gotta be an adult.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
One only wonders what level of emergency will make him break this rule

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Ouhei posted:

I get why he's hurt about this, but man you can't go full teenager response on your teenager, you gotta be an adult.

I am absolutely sure that she banned him from the car because he makes 'helpful' remarks, tenses up, or slams both feet on the floor.

Psychotic Puggle
May 21, 2012

When I'm dead, just throw me in the trash!
His response to the whole thing is just proving her point.

Ten to one he's a yeller and/or he has road rage issues

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
AITA? We have a long tradition of making daughters in my family feel inferior and dependent. Now one of them feels they have something to prove. I don't like it.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
My mom always tried to find the secret 2nd brake pedal in the passenger seat footwell. She never could figure out why I preferred having my dad teach me.

She's fine now though that might be because there was a good 7+ year gap between "I got my license" and "I was in a position where I needed to drive my family around."

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

Splicer posted:

I thought you were doing a bit boba please tell me you were doing doing a bit. The nes came out when breetai was 3* why would they call everything nintendoes PLEASE TELL ME YOU'RE DOING A BIT

it all happened before the aughts, who is gonna remember any of it straight besides the people who lived it? Let the ents keep the records. Like how good were you at keeping the 70s and 80s apart when you were in the 2000s?

E: Actually the rolling stones and AC/DC and JNCOs are pretty iconic 80s poo poo.

e2: I actually don't know the rules, but GBS you can just talk about whatever right? I'm not de-railing the thread?

Boba Pearl fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Jan 24, 2022

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Boba Pearl posted:

I actually don't know the rules, but GBS you can just talk about whatever right? I'm not de-railing the thread?

are you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
My mind tells me no, but the palpable aura around your post tells me yes.

My [33F] family is extremely upset I don't want to go out with my SIL [30F] anymore. Last time we did we agreed to not buy our kids anything except a movie ticket and lunch. She went against that and bought her kids an Nintendo switch with 6 games.

quote:

I may sound petty and please tell me if I am.

I just finished going through a divorce and custody battle. I've got my son [6M] for a majority of the time because his father is moving away for work. My finances have been cut in half because of the divorce. I'm paying everything by myself now. Food, Bills, Mortgage, his school expenses, the stuff for his asthma. His father never pays child support on time. I don't have a lot of spare money lying around for expensive luxuries. I'm a nurse. It pays alright, but it all adds up. I'm not in dire straits, but there's no luxury of buying a $500 consoles or $80 games.

Last week I went out with my SIL and her kids to our local shopping centre. We took our kids to see a movie and bought them lunch. The kids all wanted to go look at a store called EB Games. She bought her kids a nintendo switch and six games to go with it. I stood their in disbelief. She can buy her kids what she wants. I don't care. What I cared about was we agreed not to buy the kids any toys or anything like that. She didn't plan to do it, she did it on a whim because he kids were asking for it. I'm standing there with my son and I see him looking at the console and looking at me. I know for a fact he wanted one. I had to have a talk with him when we got home because he was quite for a while for the rest of the day.

I don't want to go out with her again. In my view what she did was messed up. We agreed to not do something and she did it anyway. My family is upset with my over my stance telling me I'm not in the right frame of mind. Am I right to feel this way? What do I do here?

tl;dr: SIL knows my financial situation after going through a divorce. We agreed to take our kids to the movies and lunch, but not to buy them any toys. She bought her kids a Nintendo switch and 6 games because they asked for it. My family thinks I'm not in a right state of mind because I'm angry with her.

Boba Pearl fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Jan 24, 2022