Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

THE SOUND A WET FART MAKES

Xenophanes posted:

But following chopstick chat, they are the most difficult challenge I’ve ever faced and I can’t really deal with the slippery round rice noodles through any combination of chopstick, fork or spoon. I generally just hold the bowl up to my mouth and coax 1-3 noodles past my teeth so that i can slurp them up and chase it with a spoon of broth and condiments. Is there actually a way to eat these? They remain a mystery to me, also the (translation sticker on the) package always says to boil them for 8 minutes, which results in a jujube texture, it actually takes about 20 minutes to render the noodles edible.

Sounds like you're overcooking the noodles. One thing you can do is pre-soak them then boil them for the listed time. Also try using rough wooden chopsticks like you'd use at a takeout place, and don't be afraid to use chopsticks with a spoon. I always had a rough time with thick rice noodles but thin rice noodles were my jam so maybe there is a brand that does thin noodles for luosifen.

Also re: stinky tofu and organ chat y'all are some babies. Eat the stinky tofu, dip it in the spicy sauce. Eat all the organs. Century egg makes the best porridge.

In Yunnan I ate larvae, bees, grasshoppers, duck tongues, every organ you can think of including colon, pig brain, stinky tofu of various levels of stink... Most of it actually wasn't that bad so long as you had a dipping sauce or seasoning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

awww baby doesnt like the stuff that physically repulses them? Looks like SOMEONE has some growing up to do!

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Dandywalken posted:

awww baby doesnt like the stuff that physically repulses them? Looks like SOMEONE has some growing up to do!

Some people are physically repulsed by anything that isn’t cheesy potatoes.

Don’t be a child.

mkvltra
Nov 1, 2020

Amergin posted:

Sounds like you're overcooking the noodles. One thing you can do is pre-soak them then boil them for the listed time. Also try using rough wooden chopsticks like you'd use at a takeout place, and don't be afraid to use chopsticks with a spoon. I always had a rough time with thick rice noodles but thin rice noodles were my jam so maybe there is a brand that does thin noodles for luosifen.

Also re: stinky tofu and organ chat y'all are some babies. Eat the stinky tofu, dip it in the spicy sauce. Eat all the organs. Century egg makes the best porridge.

In Yunnan I ate larvae, bees, grasshoppers, duck tongues, every organ you can think of including colon, pig brain, stinky tofu of various levels of stink... Most of it actually wasn't that bad so long as you had a dipping sauce or seasoning.

I'll eat bees

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

mkvltra posted:

I'll eat bees

I'd eat bees before stinky tofu.
Also scorpions, century eggs, and my own hair.

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme
Don't eat bees, just let them be and pollinate

mkvltra
Nov 1, 2020

I don't think I could ever do a century egg... it's an entire baby chicken just sliding down your gullet? Just... no thanks.

I'd love an opportunity to try hammer down a bunch of buggs in spicy sauce though!

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Bum the Sad posted:

Some people are physically repulsed by anything that isn’t cheesy potatoes.

Don’t be a child.

Im going to eat YOU!

Lord Awkward
Feb 16, 2012

Darkest Auer posted:

Don't eat bees, just let them bee and pollinate

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

mkvltra posted:

I don't think I could ever do a century egg... it's an entire baby chicken just sliding down your gullet? Just... no thanks.

I'd love an opportunity to try hammer down a bunch of buggs in spicy sauce though!

Huh? I think you're thinking of balut, not century eggs. Century eggs are just preserved eggs.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
These foods seem disgusting and I can’t imagine why a culture would create them. Anyways, I’m off to eat my lutefisk

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
I like to put Cool Whip in a glass and pour milk over it and mix it up and half-slurp half-spoon it into my mouth. Also, heart and tongue are both delicious! I've never eaten bees but I'd rather not, just like dog. Cat would be disgusting and I would refuse. I would try cuy. I do not like ranch dressing. My favorite activity this time of year is roasting a local variety of green onion until it's charred, dunking it in romesco, and eating in the traditional manner of tipping my head back and lowering it into my mouth inch by inch like I'm a baby stegosaurus or something. And then following it up with many grilled sausages and rabbits.

Anyways, "gross" is relative.

But eating lung seems unnecessarily risky to me. I don't love most organ meats, so I'd rather not eat lung.

e: I couldn't manage a balut, I don't think.

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
I ate Rat in Cambodia, it was pretty good, also had dog hot pot in one of the North Korean chain restaurants in siem reap called Pyongyang.

I've eaten plenty of weird stuff, can't recommend things like pupa and beetles, the protein breaks down rapidly and it becomes a gooey rotten custard very quickly. Spiders, frogs etc are pretty delicious.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

mkvltra posted:

I'll eat bees

Bees are okay. Cicadas are the real winners among the bug world. Fantastic.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Grand Fromage posted:

Cicadas are the real winners among the bug world. Fantastic.

With or without the psychedelic fungus that makes their rear end fall off?

Mr. Sunshine
May 15, 2008

This is a scrunt that has been in space too long and become a Lunt (Long Scrunt)

Fun Shoe
The rear end fell off?

Horatius Bonar
Sep 8, 2011

Bees are good, couldn't tell if they were spicy or if that was from the stingers haha.

Deep fried baby crabs were amazing, like crunchy popcorn. Claws were a bit spiky but what you gonna do.

Cow penis is a one time thing. Too chewy.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Seth Pecksniff posted:

Asian night markets are the best tbh

I went to one in Hoi An and yeah it's like put on for tourists and the like but drat if I didn't have a hell of a great time in the Vietnam night time heat and humidity looking at vendor stalls and the copious amounts of food available on a stick

I think that Hoi An works so well because it was always a port town teeming with foreigners, so really it is not straying too far from its roots.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

It took me a while to realize that touristy doesn't inherently mean bad. Sometimes things are full of tourists because they're awesome and worth going to.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

had this image on my hard drive for years, is this a literal translation?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

d0s posted:

Tis indeed a correct literal translation.

Rabelais D
Dec 11, 2012

ts'u nnu k'u k'o t'khye:
A demon doth defecate at thy door
Go even more literal and you might get "gentleman of the night's fried rear end in a top hat" (mildly spicy)

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

d0s posted:

apple says yes

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Strategic Tea posted:

I think that Hoi An works so well because it was always a port town teeming with foreigners, so really it is not straying too far from its roots.

:hmmyes: I like how it still retains the ancient city vibe with modern amenities

I also had one of the most bomb rear end dumplings I've ever had in my life there too. The white rose dumplings were divine

Grand Fromage posted:

It took me a while to realize that touristy doesn't inherently mean bad. Sometimes things are full of tourists because they're awesome and worth going to.

I try not to go to touristy stuff but this is also a good point. I try not to be the typical American when I go and I like the small little hole in the wall places you'll find down a random alley

But there's definite tourist traps you gotta avoid and I'm glad everyone else finds them

Seth Pecksniff fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Jan 25, 2022

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Plenty of lovely tourist traps, don't get me wrong. I just used to dismiss anywhere popular as bad and that was dumb of me.

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

THE SOUND A WET FART MAKES

Grand Fromage posted:

Bees are okay. Cicadas are the real winners among the bug world. Fantastic.

Ants are also rad, especially in salads and sauces.

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

I've never eaten bees but I'd rather not, just like dog.

I had dog noodle soup in China since it'll likely be impossible to buy within the next few years. Tastes like a halfway between lamb and beef. You're not missing much.

It was rather... Interesting to walk up to a little open-door restaurant with dog carcasses (head included) cut in half just on the floor by the entrance.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Horatius Bonar posted:

Cow penis is a one time thing. Too chewy.

I wouldn't be so sure that was cow penis.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

Dogs are where I draw the line

I can't do it. I can't separate the idea that they're pets and family members from my head

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Eating horse or dog is really hosed up

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Seth Pecksniff posted:

Dogs are where I draw the line

I can't do it. I can't separate the idea that they're pets and family members from my head

You're not missing anything. Had dog once, not impressed.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

I liked it, I thought it was pretty decent. I think it's a texture thing. It's not chewy like people say but it has a give to it, and if you like that you'll like dog, if you don't you wont.

I kind of understand not being into it if you have dogs as pets and it's just not something you're comfortable with but when people are like "oh that's so wrong!" gently caress that. Why? Because they're cute? Every last person who goes on about eating dog being immoral but eats pork is a hypocrite and I hate them.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

My thing is I can understand from a historical perspective why you'd eat dog in ancient times. You didn't have a lot of protein, dogs were abundant, you eat what God gave you dominion over

But now with large-scale farming and cow/pig/chicken meat and such so widely and freely available, I don't understand why it still survives. I know I'm talking from a western perspective here and I'm open about my biases in this subject but it doesn't make sense when everything else you can grab at your local market for cheap (relatively I suppose)

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Seth Pecksniff posted:

But now with large-scale farming and cow/pig/chicken meat and such so widely and freely available, I don't understand why it still survives. I know I'm talking from a western perspective here and I'm open about my biases in this subject but it doesn't make sense when everything else you can grab at your local market for cheap (relatively I suppose)

Because it's a food animal in some places. They're not just eating random dogs, in Korea there is a specific breed for food and they're raised on farms like any other livestock. The only moral issue is with the way it's slaughtered but that's its own thing.

It's also not common anymore. In Korea it's almost exclusively eaten because of the belief that it is magical and gives you boners. I know dog's also been eaten in China but I'm not as familiar with it.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Seth Pecksniff posted:

My thing is I can understand from a historical perspective why you'd eat dog in ancient times. You didn't have a lot of protein, dogs were abundant, you eat what God gave you dominion over

Isn't that an argument against hunting? People don't usually need to get that deer every year or they'll be unable to afford protein, but most people don't question it that much. They like venison, they like hunting and it's not really any worse than anything else so, whatever.

Dog isn't incredibly efficient meat so you could say you shouldn't eat it from an environmental standpoint but, then, that's a huge argument against beef. Kinda a guess but I imagine the environmental impact of cows is way worse than from dogs. I get that you would have to really go out of your way to get dog (or kill a dog yourself I guess) in most of the world, but in places where they eat it it's usually not an expensive meat or anything. People eat it cuz it's there and they like it.

Edit:

Grand Fromage posted:

In Korea it's almost exclusively eaten because of the belief that it is magical and gives you boners. I know dog's also been eaten in China but I'm not as familiar with it.

Also because of this

BrainDance fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Jan 25, 2022

Jigsaw
Aug 14, 2008

d0s posted:

I like this one:

I know what happened, but I'm not actually sure what exactly the right translation is (something like "grandma's sugar cookies"?)

mkvltra
Nov 1, 2020

Gaius Marius posted:

Lmao masaokis eats horse. And for one period of his videos, quite a lot of it, too!

Tomn posted:

Huh? I think you're thinking of balut, not century eggs. Century eggs are just preserved eggs.

Duh, thank you!!

ili
Jul 26, 2003

BrainDance posted:

Isn't that an argument against hunting? People don't usually need to get that deer every year or they'll be unable to afford protein, but most people don't question it that much. They like venison, they like hunting and it's not really any worse than anything else so, whatever.

Dog isn't incredibly efficient meat so you could say you shouldn't eat it from an environmental standpoint but, then, that's a huge argument against beef. Kinda a guess but I imagine the environmental impact of cows is way worse than from dogs.

Wild deer hunting is generally good for the environment because without predation their numbers grow to an unsustainable level. Dogs would be less efficient to farm than cows in general - cows, sheep etc all eat plants directly whereas the dogs will need animal protein added to their diet.

Grand Fromage posted:

Because it's a food animal in some places. They're not just eating random dogs, in Korea there is a specific breed for food and they're raised on farms like any other livestock. The only moral issue is with the way it's slaughtered but that's its own thing.

It's also not common anymore. In Korea it's almost exclusively eaten because of the belief that it is magical and gives you boners. I know dog's also been eaten in China but I'm not as familiar with it.

My korean ex wife told me they'd eat dog in the wintertime because it warmed your blood. From her perspective it's as you say, they're a specific breed raised as livestock for slaughter. I still couldn't do eat it myself but don't begrudge anyone who wants to.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Gaius Marius posted:

well-prepared quality horse is good poo poo tho

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

Grand Fromage posted:

That's fair. I'm not trying to go all white westerner on it or take any sort of moral stand for the record, I guess I try to understand things but there's some things it takes being within the culture to

Also "Magical Boner Dog" is a hell of a username tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Seth Pecksniff posted:

That's fair. I'm not trying to go all white westerner on it or take any sort of moral stand for the record, I guess I try to understand things but there's some things it takes being within the culture to

Also "Magical Boner Dog" is a hell of a username tbh

Yeah I get it. I wouldn't eat a cat for any reason. I didn't go in with any existing pro-dog feelings so it never bothered me.