Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

She's a high-ranking Seanchan officer in the first wave, gets stranded after they retreat and meets the girls in TSR before going on some wild and wacky adventures and getting enmeshed as a minor character.

She's the one who realizes that sul'dam can channel too and has a crisis of faith in the Empress (may she live forever) because she comes to like the wonder girls right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Yeah, I think that's her. She has that encounter with the Seeker of Truth that kind of falls by the wayside as well. Hey Rafe, please keep that in and have him played by Richard Horner.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Also please have Horner check her out and muse to himself 'it's hard to trust anyone on this side of the Aryth, but you seem like one of the good kind.'

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"

silvergoose posted:

Seanchan captain, captured Bayle Domon in book 2, helped Nynaeve et al in Tanchico, got her name changed by Tuon...

Oh yea that’s why I couldn’t remember because of the name change. She marries Bayle right?

I always pictured her as older.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

theblackw0lf posted:

Oh yea that’s why I couldn’t remember because of the name change. She marries Bayle right?

I always pictured her as older.

Yep, and there was some "can't marry until I free you, can't free you until I get you enough ship/money to live on" cultural relationship drama thereabouts.

Eh yeah probably older in the books, but whatever, that doesn't exactly matter.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

There’s a new augmented reality app for the show with lore and poo poo if you don’t mind giving bezos even more of your data

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/amazon-augmented-reality/id1519505870

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Listened to that wheel takes preview of episode 8 and it was really fascinating getting a writers perspective on the process, and also what needed to be changed because of covid or other elements. Here’s the changes we know about

1. Mats actor leaving obviously, so they had to rewrite episode 7 and 8
2. They were originally going to shoot the blight on some island with gnarly trees and stuff, but weren’t able to due to covid and so had to create a set instead in the span of three months.
3. The Trollocs were originally human actors and they planned for more up close fights, but they lost their human actors and had to make the entire thing cgi, again in three months which they hadn’t budgeted for, so had to be done with the budget they had.

I have a lot more sympathy for Rafe and crew after listening to this.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

D'ah. Mat offering Elayne his fox head medallion to protect her from Moghedien being what finally convinced her that he is extremely loyal and true to his word (even if you have to twist his arm a bit to get him to make the promise) was a nice little scene.

I'm glad I'm re-reading this (albeit in audiobook form) because I didn't remember any of these good vignettes.

Mat has been great in a Crown of Swords. Favorite character in this book.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

bio347 posted:

It's really hilarious how much of a failure Moghedien is.

Moghedien is WoT's one-woman Team Rocket.

Best villain in the entire series.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

She probably gets the most screen time out of all the forsaken. Always fun to remember Jordan modeled her after Harriet.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

theblackw0lf posted:

Listened to that wheel takes preview of episode 8 and it was really fascinating getting a writers perspective on the process, and also what needed to be changed because of covid or other elements. Here’s the changes we know about

1. Mats actor leaving obviously, so they had to rewrite episode 7 and 8
2. They were originally going to shoot the blight on some island with gnarly trees and stuff, but weren’t able to due to covid and so had to create a set instead in the span of three months.
3. The Trollocs were originally human actors and they planned for more up close fights, but they lost their human actors and had to make the entire thing cgi, again in three months which they hadn’t budgeted for, so had to be done with the budget they had.

I have a lot more sympathy for Rafe and crew after listening to this.
I get it and have lots of sympathy but somehow at the same time have no sympathy because this is the only WoT adaptation we're likely to get and the books deserve so much better, postpone that poo poo GoT style if you have to vOv

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

You mean Leilwin Shipless? :colbert:

jng2058 posted:

I don't think you're giving Semirhage enough credit for not only kneecapping the entire Seanchan empire by assassinating all of Tuon's relatives, but also for driving Rand down the path to Darth Rand. Sure, she ended up dying to accomplish the latter, but she came one power-usage failure on Rand's part in Ebou Dar from winning it all for the Dark. None of the other Forsaken were nearly so effective nor as close to reaching total victory as Semirhage was. :colbert:

I'll give you headshotting the seanchan empire but there's still a massive huge-rear end force ready to fight the shadow in randland, and she loses Tuon despite being literally her Truthsayer.

And her trap got owned by Cadsuane and a paralis net, who then broke her as a prisoner, for all her poo poo-talking of what a torturer she was.

It took a literal avatar of the Dark One cheating to get her in a position to collar Rand which she again failed at.

Jaxyon fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Jan 23, 2022

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Jaxyon posted:

You mean Leilwin Shipless? :colbert:

I'll give you headshotting the seanchan empire but there's still a massive huge-rear end force ready to fight the shadow in randland, and she loses Tuon despite being literally her Truthsayer.

And her trap got owned by Cadsuane and a paralis net, who then broke her as a prisoner, for all her poo poo-talking of what a torturer she was.

It took a literal avatar of the Dark One cheating to get her in a position to collar Rand which she again failed at.

ehhhhh...... she precisely succeeded at the goal.

she just didn't know that the goal was her own death at rand's hands.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Semirhage being touted as such a torturer and huge scary thing and then getting broken in half by getting spanked in front of some randos really goes to show how pathetic the forsaken really are. And I really enjoy that everyone else is terrified of them, but they really show the time they were raised in.

Their evil, yes, but they're not really that competent at it.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

theblackw0lf posted:

Maybe she’s Bridgette

Realising that Birgitte's name is in fact Bir-git-te so many years after the fact rocked me to my core

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

I believe Ber geet

or Ber geet ah is the proper pronunciation

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

Realising that Birgitte's name is in fact Bir-git-te so many years after the fact rocked me to my core

Listening to the audiobooks meant I knew that basically as soon as TGH came out on CD.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Too be fair anyone can say their names any way they want and that’s just Jordan’s interpretation.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

CainFortea posted:

Their evil, yes, but they're not really that competent at it.

I love the touch that the forsaken aren't the cleverest, or the most ruthless, or even the cruellest of their age. They're the people who were petty, sad or resentful enough to betray utopia out of spite.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Strategic Tea posted:

I love the touch that the forsaken aren't the cleverest, or the most ruthless, or even the cruellest of their age. They're the people who were petty, sad or resentful enough to betray utopia out of spite.

I still maintain that the 13 forsaken weren't the top of the crop, since we know there were other forsaken. They were actually the worst and were about to get mindcaged when LTT made the seal and stories over time just made them out to be so much better than they were.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Minor season 2 news. It seems a hairstylist on the show couldn't keep from posting her work and episodes 5 & 6 of season 2 will have a number of Aes Sedai extras

Disregard, this appears to be from S1, still cool nonetheless

Hexel fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Jan 23, 2022

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Also Taylor Napier who plays one of Alanna's warders posted a photo with Judkins in the background that seems to be on location since we know they all just returned to filming from a holiday break. It appears to be a rocky shore/beach type area, Falme perhaps?

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Strategic Tea posted:

The juxtaposition between the horrifying Forsaken of legend, subject of a thousand myths and scary bedtime stories, and their true selves as basically just being a bunch of jackoffs, toadies, gremlins, and petty jerks, the equivalent of coworkers you don't like, simply being escalated versions of their basic-rear end selves is what makes them a really good villain crew altogether.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I liked how Sammael was a pretty good soldier. Not the best, and too much of a blunt instrument to really excel, but exactly the sort that might take a defeat to heart.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Didn’t Sammael also have Napoleon syndrome

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Democratic Pirate posted:

Didn’t Sammael also have Napoleon syndrome

He absolutely did yes.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

Mazed posted:

The juxtaposition between the horrifying Forsaken of legend, subject of a thousand myths and scary bedtime stories, and their true selves as basically just being a bunch of jackoffs, toadies, gremlins, and petty jerks, the equivalent of coworkers you don't like, simply being escalated versions of their basic-rear end selves is what makes them a really good villain crew altogether.

I don't think their reputations are undeserved. I think a large part of it was that we mostly see them in the context of getting clowned on by the world's Actual Designated Protagonists. All of them have absolutely done a great many horrific things over the course of decades.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Colonel Cool posted:

I don't think their reputations are undeserved. I think a large part of it was that we mostly see them in the context of getting clowned on by the world's Actual Designated Protagonists. All of them have absolutely done a great many horrific things over the course of decades.

I think this misses the point.

yes, they're absolutely evil people who did evil for decades. Some of them just for funsies.

But their opponents were people who lived almost their entire lives without evil in the world. They themselves lived in that world for hundreds of years.

But then they face people who grew up in a far harsher world than even their pettiest of dreams could never have imagined, and they aren't nearly as bad rear end as they think they are.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Oh yeah, as characters they've all gone and committed all kinds of atrocities and orchestrated many a horror, but if you took that away, took away all the evil overlord clout and just put them in mundane situations, they're all still the specific kinds of people who would, at the very least, habitually make things difficult for everyone else. The kind we all meet in everyday life: The attention seekers, the petty and passive-aggressive, the eternally impossible-to-please. The rude drivers, the bad bosses, the mean teachers, the sex pests. The people who use their lovely opinions as a bludgeon, the people who demand to speak with the manager, the nonconstructive critics, the bad-faith arguers.

The Forsaken are just those kinds of assholes, plus supervillains on top of it all, and it makes it exceptionally satisfying when these fantasy heroes in this hardscrabble world take them down.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Mazed posted:

Oh yeah, as characters they've all gone and committed all kinds of atrocities and orchestrated many a horror, but if you took that away, took away all the evil overlord clout and just put them in mundane situations, they're all still the specific kinds of people who would, at the very least, habitually make things difficult for everyone else. The kind we all meet in everyday life: The attention seekers, the petty and passive-aggressive, the eternally impossible-to-please. The rude drivers, the bad bosses, the mean teachers, the sex pests. The people who use their lovely opinions as a bludgeon, the people who demand to speak with the manager, the nonconstructive critics, the bad-faith arguers.

The Forsaken are just those kinds of assholes, plus supervillains on top of it all, and it makes it exceptionally satisfying when these fantasy heroes in this hardscrabble world take them down.

Our age's Forsaken would definitely include Ben Shapiro and James Lindsay.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Starting on "Path of Daggers" and I'm enjoying Elayne's awkward attempts to add tavern swears to her vocabulary.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Nitrousoxide posted:

Starting on "Path of Daggers" and I'm enjoying Elayne's awkward attempts to add tavern swears to her vocabulary.

Elayne really wants to be a monarch for the people and of the people, but man she's just never fully gets it, which is understandable. She is trying bless her heart tho.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

The Notorious ZSB posted:

Elayne really wants to be a monarch for the people and of the people, but man she's just never fully gets it, which is understandable. She is trying bless her heart tho.

She will never understand / how it feels to live your life / with no meaning or control

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Mazed posted:

A conversation I've had more than once with people not that familiar with the setting.
"One of the Forsaken sold her soul to the devil because she was denied tenure."
"Oh, that sounds right."

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

The Forsaken would put School of Hard Knocks on their Facebook

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

The Forsaken would put School of Hard Knocks on their Facebook

They'd put Time Magazine's 2006 Person of the Year.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
Just read the part where Verin's like "I don't know that the DO has any requirement for the Chosen but selfishness, he's not playing the same game as them."

Also I think the whole nae'blis thing is a just him loving around with them, he literally has his own avatar he doesn't need a head chosen in charge

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Nitrousoxide posted:

I seem to recall her finding Uno fascinating

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Killer robot posted:

A conversation I've had more than once with people not that familiar with the setting.
"One of the Forsaken sold her soul to the devil because she was denied tenure."
"Oh, that sounds right."

It's kind of interesting that the two most self aware and fearsome forsaken are also the two* who were most successful in their pre-forsaken lives. Lanfear never earned her third name but was one of the top two researchers at one of the most prestigious universities on the planet right up to the point where she blew it the gently caress up, and Ishamael was one of the foremost philosophers in the world until he philosophized himself straight into suicidal nihilism. They're also the only two who don't seem to give a poo poo about being naeblis.

*Demandred is arguably the third. He was very successful, possibly the most successful, pre-Forsaken but I don't think we ever got enough PoV on him in the RJ books to get a solid sense of his personality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

*Demandred is arguably the third. He was very successful, possibly the most successful, pre-Forsaken but I don't think we ever got enough PoV on him in the RJ books to get a solid sense of his personality.

He absolutely was. That was why he turned. He was basically the 2nd most respected man in the army of the light. His whole identity is being Lews Therrin Lite. He was born one day after LTT, and was one step below him in power. If LTT wasn't around, Barid Bel Medar would have been the top dog in the world.