Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Bruceski posted:

For some reason I read goofy as skateboard slang and now I want to put my hotbars backwards as a stylistic gimmick. Combo buttons running right to left and poo poo.

I mean starting with your index finger might not be the worst idea :thunk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Dark Blizzard wouldn't make sense, because it's explicitly used to balance the astral/dark energy of the fire spells.

"Void" might fit better, but since it's giving you packets of umbral power that are somehow stabilized so as to be able to coexist with an overall astral aspect it could still fit. Ice trends umbral even if a demon's conjuring it!

Also, visually, Fire IV and Blizzard IV are both characterized by a hanging circle of violet foxfire that the explosion and/or glacial chunk materializes in and then drops out of, so they're clearly black magic in some deeper sense than your typical elemental blast.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Zomborgon posted:

Eh, you're a black mage whose friends spend half their time cackling about the abyss, who's gonna stop you from being a bit inaccurate in service of being more chuuni

I mean, the Black Mages in the job quest don't do that, they spend all their time killing Voidsent because they loving hate Voidsent. If you want to count by the amount of creatures of pure darkness we murder, we're way holier than the Paladins.

To be honest I don't think any kind of Void or Dark theming would really make much sense at all! We're not Reapers here. There is not a single Void or Dark themed spell in the entire kit.

Edit: I would not mind using Optimized Fire III like Omega though. Or True Fire like the Ancients.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Jan 24, 2022

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I enjoy how Black Mage seems to be all about the aesthetics of being dark and edgy without actually being dark or edgy. Like you get a spell called Despair, which you'd expect to be this super dark, bleak, awful spell, but it's actually just a "what if I did fire, but even BIGGER fire??", functionally single-target Flare. It's great. Or Foul--sounds like it's going to be all about corruption, poison, and decay, but it's just "big aether make spell go boom"

Black Mages rule

Black Mages: "Mwahahaha! We're so evil and dark! Behold our unholy magicks of the void: 'what if fire spell was big and went boom'"

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Clarste posted:

I mean, the Black Mages in the job quest don't do that, they spend all their time killing Voidsent because they loving hate Voidsent.

To be honest I don't think any kind of Void or Dark theming would really make much sense at all! We're not Reapers here.

Isn't a big reveal towards the end of the ARR questline something like "ohhh dude all this black magic we've been doing w/r/t blood and void rifts is for SUMMONING demons not banishing them. That makes a lot of sense in retrospect"

Edit: I think Foul is best understood as A) the reverse of "Holy" and B) an Enochian swear word

Ferrinus fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Jan 24, 2022

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

Harrow posted:

I enjoy how Black Mage seems to be all about the aesthetics of being dark and edgy without actually being dark or edgy. Like you get a spell called Despair, which you'd expect to be this super dark, bleak, awful spell, but it's actually just a "what if I did fire, but even BIGGER fire??", functionally single-target Flare. It's great. Or Foul--sounds like it's going to be all about corruption, poison, and decay, but it's just "big aether make spell go boom"

Black Mages rule

Black Mages: "Mwahahaha! We're so evil and dark! Behold our unholy magicks of the void: 'what if fire spell was big and went boom'"

I would call being exploded with a very big fire sort of despair inducing

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

youve hosed up mate

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Ferrinus posted:

Edit: I think Foul is best understood as A) the reverse of "Holy" and B) an Enochian swear word

Level 70 Black Mage: "Hey guys, check it out, I learned how to swear in Enochian: ḥ̵̟͙͇͚̥̉̀́̊͛̿͆̉e̴͍̩̲͆͒̈́́̍͝c̸̣̲̞̰̘͎̣̬͠k̵̯̞͎̆̏̀̏̌"

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Regy Rusty posted:

youve hosed up mate

Ack, it reduced your HP! Quick, click off that status effect!

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Ferrinus posted:

Ack, it reduced your HP! Quick, click off that status effect!

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

In other Black Mage news, I complained about it enough that I crossed over to the other side and now I love it. Been doing dungeons with it to level from 80-90 and getting owned by boss mechanics because I keep tunnel visioning to get in one more Fire IV just let me cast gently caress you and honestly having a good time

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Harrow posted:

Level 70 Black Mage: "Hey guys, check it out, I learned how to swear in Enochian: ḥ̵̟͙͇͚̥̉̀́̊͛̿͆̉e̴͍̩̲͆͒̈́́̍͝c̸̣̲̞̰̘͎̣̬͠k̵̯̞͎̆̏̀̏̌"

If it were a black magic spell in a PSX FF, Paradox would be a 20-second cut scene of a star emerging from a black hole and then landing on the enemy. For FFXIV Black Mages, it just attacks enemies with Antipode

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Harrow posted:

In other Black Mage news, I complained about it enough that I crossed over to the other side and now I love it. Been doing dungeons with it to level from 80-90 and getting owned by boss mechanics because I keep tunnel visioning to get in one more Fire IV just let me cast gently caress you and honestly having a good time

As a healer I start off each dungeon assuming the black mage will be the greediest son of a bitch this side of the Syndicate and prep accordingly. :v:

I've literally taurocholed black mages before so they can just sit there and nuke. I figure it makes their day.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
I have been learning monk and I feel like it's the BLM of melee --- "just one more hit, then I can blitz and go!"

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

OddObserver posted:

I have been learning monk and I feel like it's the BLM of melee --- "just one more hit, then I can blitz and go!"

Also because it seems like it's the one with the biggest array of choices to make at any moment while variously-aligned timers are structuring which choice is currently best.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Harrow posted:

Ha ha...YES

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Harrow posted:

:getin:

Join us…

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Kyrosiris posted:

As a healer I start off each dungeon assuming the black mage will be the greediest son of a bitch this side of the Syndicate and prep accordingly. :v:

I've literally taurocholed black mages before so they can just sit there and nuke. I figure it makes their day.

Y'know part of me wonders if this is a completely intentional thing with how the job is designed. It's very appropriate that black magic incentivizes you to do dangerous, short-sighted things (like place your ley lines down and refuse to move until you get one last cast and now oh poo poo you have to move but you need to cast Fire or you'll drop AF gently caress!!!!) in pursuit of power.

FeatherFloat
Dec 31, 2003

Not kyuute

Harrow posted:

Y'know part of me wonders if this is a completely intentional thing with how the job is designed. It's very appropriate that black magic incentivizes you to do dangerous, short-sighted things (like place your ley lines down and refuse to move until you get one last cast and now oh poo poo you have to move but you need to cast Fire or you'll drop AF gently caress!!!!) in pursuit of power.

This has gotta be a purposeful thing. Black Mage is an excellent wizard-gone-mad-with-power simulator. Will your own hubris be the end of you? Who knows! Maybe! Dare you take that risk??? It's my favorite class to play right now, and I think it's got just the right amount of potential mobility options once you're in the groove and know your fights.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Harrow posted:

The best Black Mages seem to be equal parts cackling mad scientist and literal clairvoyant, so yeah, probably.

They're always interesting to watch, if nothing else. I remember doing a Shadowbringers EX trial where we had a Black Mage that would wait for the other DPS to resolve a mechanic, aetherial manipulation to one of them, and between the lines back to their ley lines, not missing a beat. It was the most Black Mage thing I'd ever seen.

(ShB trial spoilers) Specifically, Titania EX and the vines. The sheer gall it took for them to be like "yeah move for me, bitch" and have it work was delightful.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
I wonder if part of my problem with my playing blm is that I feel like a bad human being if I get hit, rather than 'oh, I still have one hp left, that's fine'.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I've turned around so completely on this job that I've gone from really hating it and only leveling it because I wanted to level everything, to thinking every FFXIV player should level it and do at least a couple trials or normal raids with it. Nothing forces you to learn a fight, really memorize it, like needing to know exactly when and where you can place your ley lines, or when you need to hold onto a charge of Triplecast for movement or when you can burn it for more DPS.

Well, extreme trials and savage raids don't really give you a choice but to actually learn and memorize a fight no matter what job you're playing, but Black Mage kinda forces you into that mindset in any content, and it's pretty fun. You start to actually feel like a goddamn wizard when you can do an encounter with a bare minimum of movement.

Kyrosiris posted:

The best Black Mages seem to be equal parts cackling mad scientist and literal clairvoyant, so yeah, probably.

They're always interesting to watch, if nothing else. I remember doing a Shadowbringers EX trial where we had a Black Mage that would wait for the other DPS to resolve a mechanic, aetherial manipulation to one of them, and between the lines back to their ley lines, not missing a beat. It was the most Black Mage thing I'd ever seen.

(ShB trial spoilers) Specifically, Titania EX and the vines. The sheer gall it took for them to be like "yeah move for me, bitch" and have it work was delightful.

I can only aspire to such arcane heights... :eyepop:

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

They should have a trait that stops damage from interrupting casts unless it knocks you back or kills you

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
I mean, there is an ability that does most of that, including stopping the knockback

Lol they should rename it "Hubris"

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Leraika posted:

I wonder if part of my problem with my playing blm is that I feel like a bad human being if I get hit, rather than 'oh, I still have one hp left, that's fine'.

H E A L E R S

A D J U S T

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

FeatherFloat posted:

This has gotta be a purposeful thing. Black Mage is an excellent wizard-gone-mad-with-power simulator. Will your own hubris be the end of you? Who knows! Maybe! Dare you take that risk??? It's my favorite class to play right now, and I think it's got just the right amount of potential mobility options once you're in the groove and know your fights.

I've had tanks get mad at me because I'm basically sitting next to them when they and I both know that the next thing the boss is going to do is an AoE tank buster, and, yeah, I could use a Xeno or a Swiftcast or something to move right now, but I'm saving that Xeno for the next mechanic and anyway I just have two more Fire IVs and a Despair left in this astral cycle before I can swap to umbral and then use Paradox to calmly stroll to safety a comfy 3 or 4 seconds before the tankbuster actually finishes casting so just chill out, dude, I've got this.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Regy Rusty posted:

H E A L E R S

A D J U S T

Now casting (raise) on <t>

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

brand engager posted:

They should have a trait that stops damage from interrupting casts unless it knocks you back or kills you

Add a trait that prevents death from interrupting your cast, and a spell that finishes casting after you die gets +100% potency.

Healers Adjust, indeed.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

hazardousmouse posted:

I mean, there is an ability that does most of that, including stopping the knockback

Lol they should rename it "Hubris"

"Uhhh dude are you surecast"

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Even playing Black Mage at low levels I've had friends yell at me for being on the wrong side of the arena casting Fire IV before I teleport over to them at the last second and make them feel dumb

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010

Ferrinus posted:

"Uhhh dude are you surecast"

Ah gently caress, I love it. Both question and answer in one succinct line

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Ferrinus posted:

I've had tanks get mad at me because I'm basically sitting next to them when they and I both know that the next thing the boss is going to do is an AoE tank buster, and, yeah, I could use a Xeno or a Swiftcast or something to move right now, but I'm saving that Xeno for the next mechanic and anyway I just have two more Fire IVs and a Despair left in this astral cycle before I can swap to umbral and then use Paradox to calmly stroll to safety a comfy 3 or 4 seconds before the tankbuster actually finishes casting so just chill out, dude, I've got this.

The tank should move imo.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Aetherial Manipulation is the perfect "Yes, AND?" button

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Tanks work off of naval rules. They're bigger, they have the right of way.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Tanks work off of naval rules. They're bigger, they have the right of way.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Landship#Military_vehicles

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Runa posted:

Aetherial Manipulation is the perfect "Yes, AND?" button
"Yes, AND you just manipulated yourself through the AoE AS it went off, you've got a damage down, AND you're not in your Ley Lines."

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

A little outdated as it's from ShB, but relevant:

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
Just make Aetherial Manipulation zip you to the boss as well

Edit: oh right, 10 sec cool down is the perk and party members only tax compared to what DNC/SGE/MNK has, but I don’t care, let me slide

MechaX fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jan 24, 2022

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Clarste posted:

The tank should move imo.

I imagine he doesn't want to get any closer to the rest of the party (as they are on the back of the boss, but a mechanic has left me sitting somewhere north of the boss, a little past the MT's back) or accidentally turn the boss and screw up anybody's positionals. But he also doesn't have to because I'm going to move of my own volition! Just, you know, a little later. In due season. C'monnnn, just five minuuuutes

Ferrinus fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Jan 24, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I’m actually really interested in trying BLM now! I may leveling that once I’m done with WAR