Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AngelesXO
May 15, 2009

Now its here too :cry:

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
Is return to dark tower good?

The child in me thinks it looks like just the best toy ever, and I never even heard of the original. But it does concern me that the game is essentially just like a less flavoursome Arkham horror?

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013
Thread-ban Prada

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
Late to the party but Dune: Imperium is definitely a decent WP game that is on the LIGHT side of medium. Curious if the expansion tightens things up a bit more. As it stands I enjoy the game but the market row and intrigue cards can vary so wildly that it hurts.

Got to play Calico on the weekend and I really enjoyed it. It nearly blue-screened my brain with the strategy and options but can see it sitting next to Azul on the shelf.

And we also got a 4P game in of 18MEX with one person totally new to this seedy underbelly of board gaming who had never heard of 18xx before he sat down. He grokked onto it faster than anyone else I've ever seen in all the times I've introduced the game, truly remarkable. Also the game is great and plays quickly. Ended by bank break before the first diesel was purchased. If we can just tighten the route-calculations we could shave an hour off the game time, easily.

I also got to use the vacuum pens and it was awesome.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Please Thread-ban Prada so we can discuss some interesting and wholesome board games. Like GoCaine, a cocaine smuggling board game that borrows many mechanics from Go/Baduk/Weiqi.

https://playerelimination.com/2022/01/20/she-dont-lie-a-gocaine-review/

Or Magnate: The First City, an otherwise standard engine builder tied to a property bubble where the real cash/VP comes from offloading your properties/engine right before the real estate bubble pops.

https://playerelimination.com/2021/12/06/paving-over-uncle-pennybags-a-magnate-the-first-city-review/

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Despite the really bizarre theme, Gocaine looks like a legit interesting twist on Go and could use some development.

Make it a Go battle royale.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Artisans of Splendent Vale pledge manager is back open for a little while. Get it while you can.

e: my bad, was actually the preorder? Or something? https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/renegadegamestudios/artisans-of-splendent-vale/posts/3411893

e: found preorder here https://renegadegamestudios.com/artisans-of-splendent-vale/

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Jan 25, 2022

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Magnetic North posted:

I would be perfectly happy to never have Kickstarter mentioned in this thread until they relent from their nonsense, and possibly even after that. There is a perfectly nice TG crowdfunding thread which is honestly worth a follow for those inclined, since you can learn about goon projects and things outside of the algo.

As the OP of the thread (thanks again!!!) I'm sure you recognize we can't have a thread that doesn't discuss Kickstarters because like it or not, they are a very visible part of the hobby. We should refer new folks to the OP where we explain why we aren't fans of Kickstarters but to shut down all Kickstarter discussion would make the thread a lot less helpful to a lot of people.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

PRADA SLUT posted:

Artisans of Splendent Vale pledge manager is back open for a little while. Get it while you can.

Looks like it's closed :(

Assuming this is the crowdox thing you're referring to.

Edit: oh wait I guess preorders are available on https://renegadegamestudios.com/artisans-of-splendent-vale/

Naar
Aug 19, 2003

The Time of the Eye is now
Fun Shoe
I'd like to get a game I can play with my son for his birthday, preferably two-player focused. We currently play 7 Wonders Duel a fair bit, if that gives you an idea of how heavy a game I'm after. I've been thinking about Riftforce and That Time You Killed Me, any other options?

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Naar posted:

I'd like to get a game I can play with my son for his birthday, preferably two-player focused. We currently play 7 Wonders Duel a fair bit, if that gives you an idea of how heavy a game I'm after. I've been thinking about Riftforce and That Time You Killed Me, any other options?

Targi, and its expansion, is one of my favourite 2p games. Morels is also excellent, with an unusual theme of picking and cooking mushrooms

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Naar posted:

If you're OK with market-based deckbuilding, I'd recommend Star Realms or Hero Realms.

Zaphiel
Apr 20, 2006

Fun Shoe

Naar posted:

Targi and Star Realms are good picks.

Also:

- Greedy Kingdoms for "I know that you know that I know..."
- Jaipur, the cutthroat Morels
- Lost Cities
- Pixel Tactics, special powers the game. I'm partial to the Mega Man versions although they look out of print
- Santorini

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Mayveena posted:

As the OP of the thread (thanks again!!!) I'm sure you recognize we can't have a thread that doesn't discuss Kickstarters because like it or not, they are a very visible part of the hobby. We should refer new folks to the OP where we explain why we aren't fans of Kickstarters but to shut down all Kickstarter discussion would make the thread a lot less helpful to a lot of people.

Kinda? Like, if it's in people's grubby little hands, fine. But talking about the games you can't play for 18 months is actually kind of a drag since FOMO distracts us from the fact that there are so many great games you can play right now.

Besides, as OP, I don't believe I actually have any authority to dictate what's being said in here. Things like the catan joke being forbidden in the old thread was, I believe, a joke. If that is untrue, then I have some powers to start abusing I guess?

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Naar posted:

The 3rd OP has many suggestions but the one that I'd suggest is Air, Land and Sea. It is sightly simpler than 7 Wonders Duel but I've had a very nice quite casual yet thinky time with it. SUSD summed it up way better than I ever could.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Magnetic North posted:

Kinda? Like, if it's in people's grubby little hands, fine. But talking about the games you can't play for 18 months is actually kind of a drag since FOMO distracts us from the fact that there are so many great games you can play right now.

Besides, as OP, I don't believe I actually have any authority to dictate what's being said in here. Things like the catan joke being forbidden in the old thread was, I believe, a joke. If that is untrue, then I have some powers to start abusing I guess?

FOMO doesn’t necessarily distract everyone, that’s an opinion right? I’m not in anyway shape or form a supporter/frequent user of Kickstarter. I want to be able to keep recommending this thread for folks who watch my channel but I won’t do that if they come here to ask about a Kickstarter and get dumped on. As OP you are assumed to have some experience and depth of knowledge of what you are OP’ing about right? You don’t have dictatorial control, but your opinion could be thought of as more influential than someone like myself😀

High Tension Wire
Jan 8, 2020

Naar posted:

Targi is always a favourite of mine and a really solid choice but I would also recommend Raptor as its theme is great and has nice components that stick out. I've also really liked Ruthless and Fleet: the Dice Game with two players.

You can't go wrong with Star Realms, but the app has totally killed the tabletop version for me.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
Maybe I have to try Targi again but Lord knows the last time we tried we both bounced off it hard. I see it recommended all the time though. Maybe we just didn't get it.

Naar
Aug 19, 2003

The Time of the Eye is now
Fun Shoe
Thanks for the suggestions! I had been looking at Star Realms too (I heard Hero Realms was unbalanced, though I think he'd enjoy the theme more).

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Mayveena posted:

FOMO doesn’t necessarily distract everyone, that’s an opinion right? I’m not in anyway shape or form a supporter/frequent user of Kickstarter. I want to be able to keep recommending this thread for folks who watch my channel but I won’t do that if they come here to ask about a Kickstarter and get dumped on.

To the degree that I can control it, I want this thread to be (among other things) more newbie friendly and less insular than some places in the trad game space, but it's still SA. Getting dunked on my some internet rear end in a top hat is just a risk they're going to have to take. :synthy:

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I'm still gonna cross-post cool things from the KS thread so Goons won't miss out on something unique. :shrug:

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Finally managed to get Pax Pamir 2E to the table with my spouse. To date her heaviest games have been Spirit Island and Root, so I felt somewhat confident except that Pamir definitely has the driest theme of any we play (I mean, I love it, but it's not quite the same as others). Well, she took to it very eagerly and wrecked me the first three games (twice off of the first successful dominance card lol). I love games in spite of the fact that I'm not very good at them. Anyway, thanks to this thread for the rec on Pamir 2E, it rules.

I wonder how many people also assumed that you could only take extra actions off of cards that are in the favored suit. I was combining the idea of a card-based action and a bonus action for the first few games, and so it was a real mind-flip when I realized I had that totally wrong.

edit: please excuse the custom AV that some rear end in a top hat bought for me (I am not the Mel Gibson fan).

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Morpheus posted:

Looks like it's closed :(

Assuming this is the crowdox thing you're referring to.

Edit: oh wait I guess preorders are available on https://renegadegamestudios.com/artisans-of-splendent-vale/

They don't ship to Canada :(

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Magnetic North posted:

To the degree that I can control it, I want this thread to be (among other things) more newbie friendly and less insular than some places in the trad game space, but it's still SA. Getting dunked on my some internet rear end in a top hat is just a risk they're going to have to take. :synthy:

SA must be SA, that's totally fine. Also I have a question for you all. One of the things that's obvious to me is that some of these board games (KS or not) use way too much plastic. It really irritates me and is kind of why I haven't sworn off of KS entirely. It feels like the extensive use of plastic is worse on the climate than what Kickstarter is doing. Am I wrong for thinking this way?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Mayveena posted:

SA must be SA, that's totally fine. Also I have a question for you all. One of the things that's obvious to me is that some of these board games (KS or not) use way too much plastic. It really irritates me and is kind of why I haven't sworn off of KS entirely. It feels like the extensive use of plastic is worse on the climate than what Kickstarter is doing. Am I wrong for thinking this way?

You are. Excessive use of plastic is bad, but compared to the rampant destruction of crypto it's as nothing. Let's take a typical non-minis game, which might have 600g of plastic components. If just 1% of the run is purchased using Bitcoin, the carbon footprint of processing the transactions will exceed the carbon footprint of manufacturing.

And that's right now - the more people who use crypto, the faster that footprint will grow. Six years ago the BTC footprint was equal to all energy consumption in Iceland. Three years ago, it was equivalent to that of Ireland. Now, it's equivalent to that of Argentina. If it isn't stopped, then by the middle of the decade crypto will use as much energy as the entire United States.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Jedit posted:

You are. Excessive use of plastic is bad, but compared to the rampant destruction of crypto it's as nothing. Let's take a typical non-minis game, which might have 600g of plastic components. If just 1% of the run is purchased using Bitcoin, the carbon footprint of processing the transactions will exceed the carbon footprint of manufacturing.

And that's right now - the more people who use crypto, the faster that footprint will grow. Six years ago the BTC footprint was equal to all energy consumption in Iceland. Three years ago, it was equivalent to that of Ireland. Now, it's equivalent to that of Argentina. If it isn't stopped, then by the middle of the decade crypto will use as much energy as the entire United States.

Plastic is also bad for reasons besides carbon footprint, so it's hard to compare directly.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Furthermore, I’m tired of charades. Don’t people know the calories they expend gesticulating and yelling are creating negative value equivalent to the cost of consumption?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

PRADA SLUT posted:

Furthermore, I’m tired of charades. Don’t people know the calories they expend gesticulating and yelling are creating negative value equivalent to the cost of consumption?

gently caress off already loser

Ubik_Lives
Nov 16, 2012

Jedit posted:

You are. Excessive use of plastic is bad, but compared to the rampant destruction of crypto it's as nothing.

I feel like Prada had a point here, because while using a blockchain system is hideously inefficient compared to traditional methods, it's orders of magnitude better than Bitcoin.

Like, we can say it's bad and we shouldn't use it, but these are different things.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Bottom Liner posted:

gently caress off already loser

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
His goal was to derail with crypto bro bullshit and you’re helping him achieve that by being a pedant

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Ubik_Lives posted:

I feel like Prada had a point here, because while using a blockchain system is hideously inefficient compared to traditional methods, it's orders of magnitude better than Bitcoin.

I hope Kickstarter switches to an all-Bitcoin model so the $300 all-in pledges only cost about $25 by the time the funding period ends.

Actual game chat: Is Puzzle Strike 2... good? Bad? Want to wave that wand around ngl.

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Jan 25, 2022

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

I look at game plastic as not bad because it isn’t single use plastic like those stoppers in a coffee or something. It is a durable good that can be theoretically enjoyed many times by many people. Now packaging material used in games drives me nuts. When I unpacked my StreetMasters all in I was disgusted at the vacuum pack plastics in my garbage can.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Mayveena posted:

Also I have a question for you all. One of the things that's obvious to me is that some of these board games (KS or not) use way too much plastic. It really irritates me and is kind of why I haven't sworn off of KS entirely. It feels like the extensive use of plastic is worse on the climate than what Kickstarter is doing. Am I wrong for thinking this way?

This feels like a poor attempt at a gotcha! question. Plus there's a whole other thread already dedicated to kickstarter stuff.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

FirstAidKite posted:

This feels like a poor attempt at a gotcha! question. Plus there's a whole other thread already dedicated to kickstarter stuff.

Link the thread please, I can't find it. And I have no idea what you're talking about with the gotcha! stuff.

prokaryote
Apr 29, 2013

Mayveena posted:

Link the thread please, I can't find it. And I have no idea what you're talking about with the gotcha! stuff.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3777631

Ubik_Lives
Nov 16, 2012
I would say they are both bad for different reasons, so you don't really need to compare the two.

Kickstarter want to take their existing project database that runs in the background of their email server, and get a refrigerator to handle the transactions instead, and the sole reason to do this (in my opinion) is to deny backers any consumer protections from failed products, false advertising or scams. They are at a tipping point, where people are becoming wary about failed kickstarters, and are using it more as a storefront for established companies, which is bad for Kickstarter, because that would involve them being seen as a storefront by regulators. Rather than following say eBay, which expanded consumer protections as it evolved into a split auction-house /storefront, it wants to shirk them, and also waste power in the process, in a literal climate where we can't really afford to do that.

High plastic board games are using up a finite wonder resource that people don't dispose of properly. It's not as bad as say, burning it for fuel, but heavy use of plastics for a simple wow factor is inherently wasteful. Now we all love shiny objects, so personally I don't mind games that have deluxe versions, but there are definitely games that are just using presence as a substitute for substance. In my opinion this is worse on Kickstarter, when presence is all a lot of games have at their pitch point, and exist to try to woo over tabletop mini wargamers who have significantly higher hobby expenditure expectations, thanks to Games Workshop.

I would probably say that while the heavy plastic games are worse for the environment, that's an issue with people in general, because we all like having impressive stuff, and these games are there to meet our demands. I don't like it, but I can't really fault people for splashing out everyone once in a while. Kickstarter on the other hand, seems to be adopting a wasteful system for no reason I can conceive, other than their own self-enrichment.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Thanks. I’ll reference that if Kickstarter comes up,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

I don’t buy ‘deluxefied’ games or big box games. Board and Dices Origins First Builders came with no insert and no plastic pieces and I’m a happy camper. It did come with plastic bags but who knows maybe one day we’ll get cotton bags instead of plastic. When I and my friends first got into Euros the wooden pieces featured in so many of them is part of what made them attractive. And the publishers don’t seem to realize that as we see more and more plastic in Euro games. I’m very sad about that.