Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

indigi posted:

yeah this is his real strength and he’s great at it, he should just come up with plots and like 85% of an outline then let someone else execute it + write an ending

This sounds like a good explanation of why the most successful movies based on his work came from his short stories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Eric Cantonese posted:

This sounds like a good explanation of why the most successful movies based on his work came from his short stories.

Yeah, probably. What's confusing to me is that his books seems like they would work really well as plots for an American Horror Story anthology style show. Like, I understand that maybe he just reflexively says NO as soon as he hears "mini-series" because of what those looked like 30 years ago - but how do you think that a TV show that stretches the concepts of The Stand or Under The Dome out indefinitely are any better?

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот
he doesn't reflexively say no to miniseries, though, there was a new, bad version of the Stand just like last year

I'm genuinely struggling to come up with SK endings I enjoy that aren't short stories. 11/22/63 comes close, but it's a time travel book and those are easy. The Detective books are satisfying, but also don't feel particularly Kingy

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

Zvahl posted:

he doesn't reflexively say no to miniseries, though, there was a new, bad version of the Stand just like last year

I'm genuinely struggling to come up with SK endings I enjoy that aren't short stories. 11/22/63 comes close, but it's a time travel book and those are easy. The Detective books are satisfying, but also don't feel particularly Kingy

I don't recall a particularly bad Stephen King novel ending, but as I said before, I don't remember much of any books he has written since Misery.

I'm surprised Eyes of the Dragon hasn't gotten a big budget adaptation yet.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
I like the end of Pet Sematary, the book. I think that's one of his better self-contained books.

I rewatched John Carpenter's version of Christine last October and I liked it a lot. I think people have issues with the changes from the book as far as what 'makes' the car evil. In the book, Christine is sort of possessed by the ghost of her former owner, who is taking control of Arnie slowly as he restores her back to her former glory. Carpenter isn't really interested in any of that, and decides that Christine is simply an evil car. She was a sentient car capable of healing her own damage, observing the people around her, and choosing to do them harm from the day she rolled down the production line. If you can accept that, and that some greater explanation isn't coming, it's a pretty fun horror movie about losing a nerdy friend to a toxic relationship.

I especially like Harry Dean Stanton as the Detective who's investigating all of the death and mayhem Christine has caused - and accepts that the car was evil and driving itself from two teenagers at the end with no issue.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Dreylad posted:

also speak of star wars aethsetics, but apparently the guy who inspired a lot of the scuffed up sci-fi just died. jean-claude mézières.

didn't know much about him until now, pretty cool art. might be more worthwhile checking it out and appreciating it than doing the snyder chat tango.

gently caress too slow on the edit. i have a two month old baby leave me alone!!

Mézières was actually angry at Lucas because he believed that he had taken imagery from him without acknowledging it:

So he made this drawing as a response:

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Stephen King famously hates writing endings and his whole thing is coming up with a really cool horror premise and then letting it kind of trail off

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

smarxist posted:

lol, i just loved how bug poo poo it was, like i have random memories pop up from it and i'm like 'there really was a scene with an old russian WW2 sniper with fur pelts loaded with gold who gets to drive out to the front lines and pink mist a chinese general isn't there? :allears:'

that's the one where the us develops an iron dome but for nukes and knocks out a first strike from china

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Zvahl posted:

In hindsight I have softened on my hatred of the Dark Tower ending
it was right for that Roland

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

you cannot trust my opinion on anything, I love the dark tower series, every book.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
I liked the ending, as silly as it got with the HP sneetches, I had been on the path of the Beam too long not to be in awe for the whole final 200 pages or so

regardless of what you think of King, you can tell the guy just loves storytelling and getting his hooks in people's brains and i respect that

RandolphCarter posted:

you cannot trust my opinion on anything, I love the dark tower series, every book.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Dreylad posted:

that's the one where the us develops an iron dome but for nukes and knocks out a first strike from china

ya lol

i think President Ryan reconfigurates the targeting protocols or some such just before it hits the eastern seaboard (or somehow facilitates some software fix, i forget)

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

smarxist posted:

regardless of what you think of King, you can tell the guy just loves storytelling and getting his hooks in people's brains and i respect that

The man is a genius and a workhorse on top of that.
Sure he has some misses but when you're pumping out that volume, you always will.

I will always wish for that version of the tower series that comes from the reality where he doesn't get plastered by that van but eh, at least he didn't leave it unfinished.

And yeah there is such a pure unrestrained joy in most of his writing - I think perhaps best adapted in something like creepshow where they really lean into the pulp nature of his work.
But he does also let himself rise above the trappings of his genre appeal/fame which is easy to overlook. He is mass-market but not incapable of writing literature when the mood takes him

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
I really enjoyed the Dark Tower as summarized on Wikipedia, read the first book and while I got through it I had no interest in continuing the series

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

mazzi Chart Czar posted:

I think I heard this on the giant bomb cast or comic book club live. But a guest loved this one stormtrooper cosplay that looked like it had been beaten up: blackened and chipped armor.

Because it harked back to the original spirit of statwars which ran counter to 70's sifi films. All the sifi at that around was shiny silver space stuff.

Where as all the tech in starwars was old: A used sifi universe. (Also heavily biblical desert planets.) Everything in that world felt ancient.

But 40k makes starwars look like an iPhone.

My friend liked the prequels because it was doing something different. Sifi starwars space Rome.

Is starwars expandable?
It would be if it was on one big desert planets. Because then creators have to work.

Pod racing was cool.

But it started off too big and the space ship styles are a completely different style that fans don't want?

George Lucas is a better capitalist than all the execs at Disney.

The prequels expanded the IP and provided greater opportunities for merchandising with all their new designs. Not all of them took off, but not all the original series designs did either.

The sequels rehashing of designs from the original trilogy was a conservative choice for the storytelling, but also when it came to merchandising. A battle droid and a stormtrooper are obviously different things even to people who haven't seen a Star Wars film. If you're buying a toy for kid who loves Star Wars, those are two clear options and you might buy both over the course of a few birthdays.

A sequel stormtrooper and an original stormtrooper are technically different, but the whole point of the movies is that they are the same thing. If you give a six year old both at Christmas they will think they just got the same toy twice. Even among adults that collect funko pops, only the most extreme are going to collect multiple eras of stormtroopers.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Atrocious Joe posted:

George Lucas is a better capitalist than all the execs at Disney.

The prequels expanded the IP and provided greater opportunities for merchandising with all their new designs. Not all of them took off, but not all the original series designs did either.

The sequels rehashing of designs from the original trilogy was a conservative choice for the storytelling, but also when it came to merchandising. A battle droid and a stormtrooper are obviously different things even to people who haven't seen a Star Wars film. If you're buying a toy for kid who loves Star Wars, those are two clear options and you might buy both over the course of a few birthdays.

A sequel stormtrooper and an original stormtrooper are technically different, but the whole point of the movies is that they are the same thing. If you give a six year old both at Christmas they will think they just got the same toy twice. Even among adults that collect funko pops, only the most extreme are going to collect multiple eras of stormtroopers.

uh no, see look at the box - this is a SITH Trooper!

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
emperor's royal guard with beskar imbued vibro-lances tho :circlefap:

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

do better kids

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

been reading these and i love them

https://imgur.com/a/S3k3C

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
We got Apple TV with a device and so far I've been enjoying what's on offer.

Central Park is catchy and funny
For all Mankind is a refreshing take on the space program, produced by Ronald D Moore :bsg:
Ted Lasso is pleasant, though I expected a little more out of it.
Schmiggadoon has a funny premise and was enjoyable.

Not going to keep the service forever, but it's good for a run.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

skooma512 posted:

We got Apple TV with a device and so far I've been enjoying what's on offer.

Central Park is catchy and funny
For all Mankind is a refreshing take on the space program, produced by Ronald D Moore :bsg:
Ted Lasso is pleasant, though I expected a little more out of it.
Schmiggadoon has a funny premise and was enjoyable.

Not going to keep the service forever, but it's good for a run.

quote:

Ronald D. Moore explained how history had been different in the series: "Sergei Korolev, who was the father of the Soviet space program, in reality, he died during an operation in Moscow in the mid '60s. And after that point, their moon program really never pulled together.... Our point of divergence was that Korolev lives, ... and he made their moon landing happen."

Moore knows his poo poo and seems incredibly good at what he does, but this comment reminds me of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvuhazMDpeg

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there

Maya Fey posted:

been reading these and i love them

https://imgur.com/a/S3k3C

The bus is fantastic, one of the best comics ever made imho. This one is especially well-suited for CSPAM:

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
i watched paris, texas for the first time. i thought it was a really good movie and started jotting down thoughts about 2 hours into it, with 20 minutes to go

i wasn't expecting that crescendo and feel drained

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

In hindsight I have softened on my hatred of the Dark Tower ending
it was right for that Roland

The ending suits the character. It's the kind of ending that chews on you and then you chew on it and are able to digest it. And it indicates that things will, one day, get better. King made a mistake to try to continue it through a movie.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

lmao

https://twitter.com/VICEWorldNews/status/1485590974881574914

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Tyler died on his way back to his home planet

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

Triumph of the Blue.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

We should have more of this. People will bitch about what's the point but violence is dirty and pointless in our lives.

https://twitter.com/HeadExposure/status/1485001686334726160

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
Its cool they connected 12 monkeys to it.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

spiderverse was an okay, simplistic childrens cartoon but some people connect with cartoons easier than real people so they went mad for it

however

RandolphCarter posted:

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Dean Koontz sucks I found these two books of his at a church rummage sale in 2001, they're about a guy who's allergic to sunlight who lives in a town where all this creepy poo poo is happening because of government experiments gone wrong, the second was published in 1999 and Mr. Koontz has promised a third book in the series ever since then. He's left all these mysteries hanging and will probably never answer anything.

Stephen Edwin King would never do that to his loyal readers.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

dean koontz fans are all chuds, or at least the biggest koontz fan i knew but then she transferred to Texas A&M

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

Nonsense posted:

dean koontz fans are all chuds

At least the books have good dogs in them.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Cujo is pretty dang scary

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
king said he wrote cujo in 48 hours on a coke binge that he doesn't even remember lol

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
someone who posted on gamefaqs around 2004 had the phrase "Dean Koontz is human garbage" in their signature and i still remember it.

is Dean Koontz human garbage?

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Communist Thoughts posted:

spiderverse was an okay, simplistic childrens cartoon but manchildren connect with cartoons easier than real people so they went mad for it

Ftfy

It was fine, great animation and soundtrack but the story was laaaame even for kids imo

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
*goon goes to see a cartoon*

"wow... this cartoon is like a cartoon"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

there's a new version of Salem's Lot coming out sometime this year

i remember reading that when i was like 16 and then watching the movie and it sucked (i remember the book being quite good tho)