Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

after going mostly unscathed from last november to now, omicron finally decimated our staff

maitre d, both daytime servers, maintenance, and breakfast staff are down for the count

thankfully this is a slow week historically since we close NYE through the 4th of jan, but gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Our dining hall is scheduled to open tomorrow evening for indoor service. Hundreds of students taking off their masks, coughing up whatever they caught over the break, our plexiglass dividers doing very little to protect us since the "droplets" thing was a lie, Covid is airborne. I doubt upgraded masks will be provided, so I bring my own.

But, the first couple weeks of classes are online-only, so I don't even know if students will be on campus in meaningful numbers. I am guessing my boss's boss will come in and announce... something.

Justa Dandelion
Nov 27, 2020

[sobbing] Look at the circles under my eyes. I haven't slept in weeks!

Goddamn shamrock giving us the absolute shaft out here. Anybody else (in the mountain west) get the news today?

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
What's the news?

Justa Dandelion
Nov 27, 2020

Down to one delivery per week, 20 case minimum to ship. Our main property involves 7 different business entities but because we're under one roof we all need to consolidate to one order/invoice now which is a nightmare for accounting because we're all separate businesses. They announced it today and are immediately enforcing it, even for orders that we supposed to ship earlier today.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Oh wow, that's got to be the most amazing clusterfuck. The total lack of notice is such a complete "gently caress you".

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

Shabadu posted:

after going mostly unscathed from last november to now, omicron finally decimated our staff

maitre d, both daytime servers, maintenance, and breakfast staff are down for the count

thankfully this is a slow week historically since we close NYE through the 4th of jan, but gently caress

This is happening in a lot of workplaces in all industries ATM. Omicron is less lethal but much more infectious than what has been going around before. The post-holidays spike in cases is insane.

Just like any other transmissible illness, it is good that people try to stay home and quarantine when they are ill. God save the remnants of staff that are left to sort out the mess.

Had 3 people call out sick today, and 2 of them weren't even scheduled to work today lol. Hope they get their test results in a timely manner.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Its like early covid with the staffing shortages and supply issues, but at normal levels of business because nobody cares anymore. This is a nightmare.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

oh hah, since then we're down to just Chef, Sous, Night time saute, and 2 dishwashers left

both grille cooks, both garde's, pastry and butcher and evening prep cook are all down

i'm ex-foh at this point and doing accounting but i had to jump behind garde to open oysters for lunch service

update: sous chef down, real glad i spent lunch service in the kitchen with him

Shabadu fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Jan 6, 2022

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Its like early covid with the staffing shortages and supply issues, but at normal levels of business because nobody cares anymore. This is a nightmare.

CDC says 700k new COVID cases this week. Almost double the 2020 and 2021 peaks, and still rising, but they bent the knee to investors so nothing will close.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
In response to drastically reduced numbers of students (both working with us and coming in as customers) this quarter, we've simplified our menu. If you had three entrees at your station, congrats, you have only two now. First point this year I've actually had time to prep ahead a couple days. Stress way down. Honestly, the job's kind of a breeze now. Hope it stays that way for a good while. Rumors abound that the quarter will be online-only again.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

Liquid Communism posted:

CDC says 700k new COVID cases this week. Almost double the 2020 and 2021 peaks, and still rising, but they bent the knee to investors so nothing will close.

In Ontario, they've closed dine-in for two weeks (yeah, right, see you in spring) and I have a client at the meal program who had just gotten a kitchen job, on his own merits, nice guy, and he was fitting in well and doing well, and now he's cut loose and probably not eligible for the "luxe" $270/week government bonus laid off people get, nor unemployment insurance. Like, he tried, and got hosed for trying. He should have just stayed on disability.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Of the seven people on the kitchen staff at least 3 currently have covid, including the manager who just got tested yesterday after finding out the other two tested positive. My test thankfully came back negative because tonight a party of 150 bought out the restaurant for the evening. Fortunately it's a banquet menu and all the prep is done so all we have to do is throw all the hot stuff in the oven and put it out there and let them spread any covid they have among themselves. Really curious to see how many actually show up.

Justa Dandelion
Nov 27, 2020

Republicans posted:

Of the seven people on the kitchen staff at least 3 currently have covid, including the manager who just got tested yesterday after finding out the other two tested positive. My test thankfully came back negative because tonight a party of 150 bought out the restaurant for the evening. Fortunately it's a banquet menu and all the prep is done so all we have to do is throw all the hot stuff in the oven and put it out there and let them spread any covid they have among themselves. Really curious to see how many actually show up.

Spoiler alert, all of them will show up plus some of their lovely friends they "forgot about". Also half of them have covid and half of that know they do and will still mouthbreath all over each other and lick everything.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Nah it was more like 60. Ate so much leftover mac & cheese.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Our staff Christmas party got moved by a week because the owner and his family popped positive for covid yesterday. Owner seems to think he’ll be fine to move the party a week and he’ll be able to attend and have the BEST PARTY EVER.

I RSVP’d no.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

We were supposed to have one back on the 3rd but half the staff was sick with something so it was pushed back to "later."

Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May
We've had waves of people getting it my restaurant, but fortunately it's usually three or four people at a time. We're a big restaurant (usually run with 12-18 servers a night) so omicron has been tough but not disabling. Wearing a mask for 8-10 hours again sucks though.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
New cheese thread for anyone interested

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3991042&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

It's been nearly 3 months since I stepped into my old workplace.

gently caress that place.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

iospace posted:

It's been nearly 3 months since I stepped into my old workplace.

gently caress that place.

Goddamn it's cathartic to say that kind of thing. Hope you enjoyed it.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Non industry goon here. I often see sommeliers around/in the kitchen during service. What is the role of the sommelier in that case after the menu has been made? I'm assuming they aren't working on new dish pairings during the middle of service. Thanks in advance.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

VelociBacon posted:

Non industry goon here. I often see sommeliers around/in the kitchen during service. What is the role of the sommelier in that case after the menu has been made? I'm assuming they aren't working on new dish pairings during the middle of service. Thanks in advance.

The resident somm is often a manager, if not the general manager. They are just doing normal operational stuff during service

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

The resident somm is often a manager, if not the general manager. They are just doing normal operational stuff during service

Oh no way, I wouldn't have guessed that. Thanks.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

I went to the most wonderful little restaurant years ago where when you sat down the somm would come by the table with a taste of some kind of cool (generally) sparkling wine, the one I remember the most was a dry lambrusco, and give you a little chitty chat about it. Then later at dessert he came back and took over cheese cart duties and we had a lovely time debating which cheeses and what a good plan of attack for the tasting order would be. I wish every restaurant had someone like that puttering around the floor chatting about wine and cheese with the patrons.

Obviously this place closed within a year. STL just wasn't ready for prix fixe only dining.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Guildenstern Mother posted:

Obviously this place closed within a year. STL just wasn't ready for prix fixe only dining.

honestly i'd be happier if most restaurants were prix fixe or just offered the option.

when tokyo was in full emergency mode one of our local izakayas started doing takeout to keep the business going, and we'd just text the guy that runs it and ask him to throw together whatever he had that day that looked good for two adults and two kids. it always came out better than if we'd ordered since he knew his stock and now we just order like that when we go there.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
This was in the Shcadenfraude thread

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

A pair of restaurants in NJ pushed out a policy to waiters and waitresses: Better get at least five 5-star reviews each month, with their name included, or potentially be fired. It didn't go well for the restaurant and the assistant manager that conceived the policy:
https://www.indy100.com/viral/restaurant-workers-five-star-reviews

quote:

In response to this viral controversy, the restaurants in question have distanced themselves from the rule as Triple T Hospitality Group's CEO Thomas Bonfiglio insisted the review demands are not their policy.

He told NJ Advance Media: "In the restaurant business, we’re not firing anyone, we’re still trying to hire people. So to think that we will fire people over this is a silly thing."

Due to the influx of negative reviews, Bonfiglio detailed how a scrubbing company was hired in order to offset the impact of those. “It was scary to read . . . You have 2,000 people saying‚ ‘burn down and die, let’s put them out of business,'" he said.

Bonfiglio also revealed the policy was posted by an assistant manager and didn't get permission from their seniors to share it and described enforcing this rule as "impossible."

... Meanwhile, Danielle Smith, a director at Taco and Tequila Bar, told The New York Post the employee who posted it has since been fired.

I can't imagine doing this pre-COVID and getting away with it. As a waiter I showed up to work obviously drunk once and didn't get fired, and I knew people who did do it enough to eventually get fired, got new jobs waiting tables like 2 weeks later. During COVID when restaurants are loving desperate for staff both FOH and BOH it's a loving insane idea to try and enforce that.

It's hilarious to me that the only person who got fired over this is the one who came up with it. I've long thought "assistant manager" is easily the worst job in a restaurant, especially if it's part of a chain or a restaurant group, so the only people who willingly do it are incredibly dumb people who get off on power tripping over people. I would never do it because I know it's mostly a money pit, but I understand why people want to own restaurants, and I understand even wanting to be the manager of a restaurant, because you still have a certain amount of control of things, assistant manager though, the only control you have is enforcing other people's rules and coming up with insane things like requiring employees to get five positive reviews that mention them by name every month.

Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May

Skwirl posted:

It's hilarious to me that the only person who got fired over this is the one who came up with it. I've long thought "assistant manager" is easily the worst job in a restaurant, especially if it's part of a chain or a restaurant group, so the only people who willingly do it are incredibly dumb people who get off on power tripping over people. I would never do it because I know it's mostly a money pit, but I understand why people want to own restaurants, and I understand even wanting to be the manager of a restaurant, because you still have a certain amount of control of things, assistant manager though, the only control you have is enforcing other people's rules and coming up with insane things like requiring employees to get five positive reviews that mention them by name every month.

Our only assistant manager mainly handles inventory, so he's mostly annoyed when we break dishes. The assistant GM was the former head of HR and is very amenable. Thankfully our GM doesn't suck as much as his predecessor. This kind of power-tripping is wild.

Edit: also requiring every FOH staff member to get mentioned by name five times a month is absolutely insane. I have a sort-of uncommon name and virtually never get mentioned by name even in the rare instances my tables take the time to write a review. I can't imagine how hosts would manage to get their name mentioned that much.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Why is the chef adding goofy bullshit that requires multiple days of prep to the loving pizza menu when we have less help than ever before and simultaneously more customers than ever before? These are college kids, they want pepperoni pizza. They do not want whatever the gently caress "Egyptian hawawshi" is. No offense meant to Egyptian goons.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Animal-Mother posted:

Why is the chef adding goofy bullshit that requires multiple days of prep to the loving pizza menu when we have less help than ever before and simultaneously more customers than ever before? These are college kids, they want pepperoni pizza. They do not want whatever the gently caress "Egyptian hawawshi" is. No offense meant to Egyptian goons.

Either:

1. He's new and thinks he's gotta prove something,
2. He's bored, or most likely
3. He's an idiot

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

4. "I saw this on TikTok/Youtube/Tasty, that must mean college kids will love it!"

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Shooting Blanks posted:

4. "I saw this on TikTok/Youtube/Tasty, that must mean college kids will love it!"

Yeah like I said

3. He's an idiot

marshalljim
Mar 6, 2013

yospos
That hawawshi thing sounds pretty good, though.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Oh believe me, I'd love to make and eat it, just not right now when we seem to be crippled when it comes to hiring people. And it's a roll of the dice every day with people being out sick with *something*, can't imagine what.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I mean, the best pizza I had was a bulgogi pizza at a college campus korean place that moved into a former pizza restaurant

they eventually removed the pizza ovens because they were 'confusing the customers' and half a year later went bankrupt

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Looking it up Hawashi is just ground beef, onion, bell pepper, garlic and parsley cooked inside pita bread. Some version of pork is generally more popular than beef on pizza, but those all seem like normal pizza toppings.

Edit: oh there's a lot of spices, don't you just make a giant batch like once a week for that kind of thing?

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
The problem is that we have less than one-third the amount of help we normally have, about 150% more customers than normal, and the recipe calls for making the dough days ahead of time and freezing it.

The other problem is that nobody's in charge of the pizza station, nobody wants to be since there's no additional compensation, and the manager has been in and out with Covid. Yes. In and out. Not "stay home until you are healthy and not infectious." Just "Come in if you can, we'll send you home if you're too obviously sick."

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Animal-Mother posted:

The problem is that we have less than one-third the amount of help we normally have, about 150% more customers than normal, and the recipe calls for making the dough days ahead of time and freezing it.

The other problem is that nobody's in charge of the pizza station, nobody wants to be since there's no additional compensation, and the manager has been in and out with Covid. Yes. In and out. Not "stay home until you are healthy and not infectious." Just "Come in if you can, we'll send you home if you're too obviously sick."

Have you considered that every kitchen in your city is hiring and you might find the 1 in 100 that wont let the manager infect you with covid

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
I'm probably at the best-paying culinary job in the county. I will look around though, now that you mention it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Yeah now is the time to look around if you're kitchen staff. Everyone is so short staffed you can pretty much tell them what you want to make